Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I have about 600 miles on my front and so far, it's looking pretty good. I'm digging this tire even though I bought it because I couldn't wait for the Jumbo Jim SnakeSkin, either. the only downside is that I haven't been able to get it to set properly toobless with margelite/clownshoe rimstrips, so I put a Q-tubes Superlite in instead.
    4" wide tape here if you still want to give tape a try: https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3323

worked great on the notoriously annoying 90mm fatboy rims at least. it comes up a little past the sidewalls on the fatboy (to where you need just a little trimming if you're anal).

Edit: just saw marge lite with clownshoe *strips* so I guess nevermind

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    How can I get in touch with Jeff Zell? Both of mine are very wobbly, even after trying to install several times.
    If you bought them at your lbs, the process is very easy.

mtbr member
    I got no indication that it would be an issue.

mtbr member
    My last ride didn't go as well as the previous. A week full of rain last week really packed down the trails. On a dirt road as well, several times both wheels felt like they were going to fly off. Took them back to the LBS, gave them the name posted here for Panaracer.

Another factor was I converted my frame to through axel. Also dropped each tire by .5 psi

mtbr member
    Sunday's ride put mine to the test on almost every kind of terrain CO has. They did awesome!Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2008
    nice pics! man your trails look smooth out there!

i can't get these tires to lose traction.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    It's not bad if you didn't, also. I sent them a note through their website a few days ago, they asked for a short vid of the tires spinning, and now replacements are on their way from Japan
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

banned
    Sep 2008
    It's not bad if you didn't, also. I sent them a note through their website a few days ago, they asked for a short vid of the tires spinning, and now replacements are on their way from Japan
    that's great service!

mtbr member
    I have a noticeable wobble on my front FBN. It's annoying
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

banned
    Sep 2008
    Thanx a lot, i had forgotten about my wobble!!!

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    How can I get in touch with Jeff Zell? Both of mine are very wobbly, even after trying to install several times.
    Thanx a lot, i had forgotten about my wobble!!!
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

banned
    Sep 2008
    what! i got my credit already. i'm just gonna wear out the (now free) one

it's like money in the bank!

mtbr member
    Worked through the bike shop I bought these from, replacements on the way. Very fast response.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm loving my Fat-B-Nimbles! Yeah they wobble a bit, and yeah I just sliced the sidewall and stans won't seal it, but hey the rotational weight savings and all-round traction is worth it for a summer whip.

So, I cleaned the slash area inside the tire with brake cleaner and applied an automobile radial tire patch. Then I cleaned the outside slash area and put a couple of thin layers of shoogoo over it. Put a Tube back in in for a while to compress the patch real good and then I'm going tubless.

Do you think the patch & goo will hold up or will Stans disolve the adhesive somehow?

Website is down, but there was a good article on sidewall repair with a needle and thread. Go to any craft store and get a curved needle and some strong thread. Just sew up like you're stitching up a wound and you'll be good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onestep4me View Post
    Do you think the patch & goo will hold up or will Stans disolve the adhesive somehow?
    Don't know, but I remember using self vulcanising patches about 30 years ago. No glue, it relied on the chemical reaction. I wonder do they still make them?
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Loser
    I have about 600 miles of riding in rocky, technical terrain on my FBNs, they have seen almost no asphalt.

They have been great for a summer tire. At this point they are still hooking up well when going in a straight line and both tires are still working tubeless with no leaks at all - I have to add a little air every couple of weeks, but nothing major. I've broken the bead on both a few times to add Stans and had them reseat with no issues - I could have added it through the stem, but it was quicker and I guess I wanted to prove that I could reseat them using the split tube method.

The rear tire is showing it's age for sure with the threads showing through in a major way. The side knobs are very worn and when I lean into a corner the back end tends to slide out more than I like it to. The side knobs on the front are also pretty worn, but nowhere near as bad as the back.

I'm hoping to keep them on for another couple of weeks until the leaves start falling, there's no way these will work on freshly fallen leaves, but I think I can suffer through until then.

They still get two thumbs up from me. We'd all love to find the tire that hits all three (wear life, cost, traction), this tire definitely hits the cost and traction points, maybe a bit low on the wear side, but I'm ok with it.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    ... At this point they are still hooking up well when going in a straight line and both tires are still working tubeless with no leaks at all ...
    That's amazing. Both of mine have to be run with tubes (and I suffered way too many flats). Nice light tire but not very durable in my experience... and your terrain is filled with sharper rocks.

I have gone to Vee Trax Fatty, no flat issues since.

Loser
    I had the rear go flat on me once while sitting in my garage, I figured it was the end of tubeless for it, but I added Stans and fixed a spot where the liner wasn't flat and it aired up and has been holding air fine.

I am surprised at how long I've gone without slicing a side wall, I know these are light tires. Maybe I'm just lucky, but more likely it's my amazing skill at moving the bike over just in time (anyone who has ridden with me is laughing right now and knows that's a complete lie).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    I have a noticeable wobble on my front FBN. It's annoying
    I had two FBNs that were very wobbly. Judging by the amount of forum reports of the same same thing, I think qulaity control is not too good at the factory. One wobbly tire may be just a acceptable, but two is not. I retuned mine to the store and purchased knards.
    Last edited by Robopotomus; 08-19-2015 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm lovin' mine! They're working great as an all-round summer tire for my riding. No complaints at all when riding our coastal rainforest trails. They're not the best fat tire for soft sand, but I usually avoid the soft, fluffy stuff up high on the beach, anyway. They are just fine on the hard-packed sand closer to the water at low tide, though.
    One tire rolls true, and the other has only a slight wobble, which I can see, but can't feel, even though its on my front wheel.
    I might swap 'em out for my Halo Nanuks (better sand tire) for the WA fat-bike gathering at Long Beach in mid-Sept.

Elitest thrill junkie
    98.4mm wide on my 90mm rims, got them as a transition season tire, for some commuting and possibly for times when we have some harder (but not ice) packed snow. I was looking for something skinnier than my studded D5s with some directional tread, possibly even D4s, but these seemed to check all the boxes. Locked right into place on my tubeless rims, very little wobble (I find non-tubeless rims are looser and allow more of this and no amount of straightening can fix it sometimes), no leakage, seems to have made a good seal, did a ride today and they seem to have worked well. You'd have to lean these things way over to lose traction due to the lugs, doesn't seem like that was an issue today.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I don't have much use on mine, maybe 5 rides....looked at the bike the other day and found an inch long sidewall tear in the rear tire.

Gonzo for sure....might try to stitch it up...but the Snowshoe XL's will be going on soon anyway
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Anybody get wash outs with these on loose over hard? My front loses traction and really doesn't seem incredibly better then my XC tires.

Loser
    I just threw away my first set of FBNs, I got around 800 miles on them. The leaves are coming down, it's no time to run worn tires. I did a quick lap this morning on the leaf strewn trails, I was amazed how well they hooked up. While this is great it does talk to the degree to which the old ones had worn in only 800 miles. I guess that's about normal for tires around here, part of the price of the fat bike I suppose. I ordered another pair to have when I need to change again. Grab 'em at $55 when you can.

Did I catch a niner+?

Got a set on my Pugs. I got these brand new from a guy locally for $90/pair, they were still wrapped. He had a set and I think he sold the bike they were supposed to go on.

The tires are small, I would say closer to a 3.5 especially on a marge lite. I am not sure if I will leave them on for winter. I was originally going to get a set of 3.0 knards for the summer, but I think I will just stick with the FBN instead for the race season. They have more grip then one would think. I think they are more aggressive than a HuDu and I will test this with a friend who has a set on his pugs with marge lites in the coming weeks.

If they do not hold well this winter I will put on my nates for that time of year

Also I will plan to go tubeless this coming spring on these tires and through summer and fall.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

Loser
    I would think Nates would work way better than FBNs in snow just looking at the tread, but I've never tried the FBNs on anything but dirt.

since 4/10/2009
    Nates are quite good in the snow. Hudus are garbage in snow and fbn's won't be much different.

Did I catch a niner+?
    I will probably use the Nates but will keep these on until the snow is enough. Our trails are all packed down, we do not have much for "open snow" here. I ride on a lot of lakes in the winter being in MN.

Tread pattern is not going to be everything either. The quality of the carcass is going to be much different 27tpi vs 120tpi. I would enjoy selling my Nates and getting some Vanhelga's for winter.

Also I did not think the Hudu's were terrible in the winter, I was surprised on how well they actually did.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    First off I'd like to say how much I like this tire. It's light, inexpensive, and fast (low rolling resistance). Its downfall, as far as my riding conditions and style are concerned, are its thin sidewalls.

I've experienced 3 sidewall slashes. The first was when I was running tubes. I repaired it by using an automotive radial tire patch on the inside and shoe-goo on the outside. That repair held up fine. Then I went tubless (set up easy peasy) and got another 2 sidewall slashes. Stans sealed one, but not the other. Not wanting to deal with the mess of cleaning out Stans residue before applying a patch to the inside of the tire I just used shoe-goo on the outside. Needless to say, this last weekend one of my shoe-goo only repairs failed. That was the final straw. If I had to remove a tire (at this time of year) and deal with the Stans mess I was going to put back on a different set of tires... so I did.

I so liked my FBN's...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of studding a set of these up with Kold Kutters for winter ice riding (not snow). For those of you who have ridden this tire, what do you think?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Loser
    I am going to rescind my endorsement of this tire. I rode the first pair for six months, and they were great, I ran them tubeless the whole time with no issues. Since then I've run through three of them on my back tire, with all three getting sidewall tears beyond what Stans could seal. I need to find a tire with better sidewalls.

mtbr member
    Jisch - Are you riding on snow or dirt?
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

Loser
    100% dirt (we have a LOT of rocks!). This was my summer tire. I actually won't ride the Bucksaw much in the snow, that's when the Fatboy gets used.

mtbr member
    You think they could handle winter duty as a set of dedicated ice tires? I'm gonna stud them.
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    Fbn's are way too flimsy. I tore a sidewall after 2 short rides on single track . Only the second sidewall I've ever lost
    Last edited by Swerny; 01-03-2016 at 07:08 AM.

Loser
    A few months ago I would have argued that point, but not now :-D

mtbr member
    Thanks for the honest feedback. I might take a look at a Vee H-Billie
    '15 Evil The Following
    '15 Spec Fatboy R

mtbr member
    I.think I'll try the maxxis mammoth next unless I decide to try a plus wheelset

Witty McWitterson
    The FbN's get a big fat MEH from me. I have both the 26x4 and the 27.5x3. Both are only ok on dirt, and teh 4's are marginal on snow. Both sets have a slight wobble to them, and nothing I do to get rid of that seems to effect the wobble. The 4" tires have already been replaced. We'll see how the Colossus tires work for the fat bike. And the b+ tires will probably be replaced by Nobby Nics.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member

Too much snow...

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpeg
    My FatB's hit their snow limit this weekend. With 6-8" of fresh snow on top of plenty of packed snow they just couldn't get or hold the traction my snowshoes (my buddy was riding those) could. They have been fantastic the last six months but they will need to take a break till spring now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hey guys I bought the Fat B Nimble tires and wondering if I can run these tubeless. It doesn't say tubeless ready anywhere.
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-uploadfromtaptalk1458418578280.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroc162 View Post
    Hey guys I bought the Fat B Nimble tires and wondering if I can run these tubeless. It doesn't say tubeless ready anywhere.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458418578280.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	1057805

They're not tubeless ready, but many, including myself, have made it work. Your mileage may vary.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    They're not tubeless ready, but many, including myself, have made it work. Your mileage may vary.
    I set them up tubeless on a set of icann carbon 65mm rims with one layer of gorilla tape. It's a cinch. However, I needed to use a tube to seat one bead before seating the other with a compressor. They have held without any leakage for about a year.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1458418578280.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	216.9 KB 
ID:	1057805

Ran them tubeless with stretch wrap on Mulefut 80s
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I installed them with tubes then took the tubes out. 1 side was set in the bead but I couldn't get it to work with the compressor. I will try again tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!

I am seeing the FBN predominantly mounted on narrow wheel sets. Would this tire be completely hopeless on a 90mm rim? I am looking to slim down from my ground control 4.7 tires, to perform faster on summer, dirt single track. What would be a good, narrow alternative for such a wide rim? Thanks.
    Last edited by Mdp3; 04-11-2016 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    i think you will be looking at rim strikes with a FBN on a 95 MM rim

I felt i was pushing it on 80 mm rims, my winter tires were Snowshoe XL 4.8's.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

All fat, all the time.
    I think a lot of it is just luck (or lack of)....

I've had sticks the size of my finger go through hudu's, seal up, and ride back to the trailhead.
    I've also pinch-flatted a brand new Nate so badly that tubeless wouldn't seal it.

Overall I was pretty happy with my FBN's last year. Still considering a fresh set again this year, kind of want to save the Nate's for the annual Pisgah trip, they are really overkill I find unless it's super wet & slimy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mdp3 View Post
    I am seeing the FBN predominantly mounted on narrow wheel sets. Would this tire be completely hopeless on a 90mm rim? I am looking to slim down from my ground control 4.7 tires, to perform faster on summer, dirt single track. What would be a good, narrow alternative for such a wide rim? Thanks.
    I have the FBNs mounted up tubeless on my 85mm HRDs. They work just fine. Used fattystrippers to get em mounted tubeless. No leakage at all, and I ride hard.

Ancient Astronaut

Panaracer FatBnimble

Take a look at these pictures.

I put the tires in service on April 16, on April 25, while cleaning the bike I notice all these delaminations and gashes.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-rear-left-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-show-wear.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-left-front-01.jpg

First of all these do not feel 120TPI at all, and the sidewalls are paper thin. My take is that the casing is that the cordage is too stiff and brittle and the sidewall is to thin to handle the loads when cornering. I think a little slalom down the fire road is enough to kill these.

Panaracer has the worst customer service and plain rude.

Another company that is happy to put you at risk to make a buck, PATHETIC

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Patagrande View Post

I put the tires in service on April 16, on April 25, while cleaning the bike I notice all these delaminations and gashes.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-left--02.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1066643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To-show-wear.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1066642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left-Front-01.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1066641

First of all these do not feel 120TPI at all, and the sidewalls are paper thin. My take is that the casing is that the cordage is too stiff and brittle and the sidewall is to thin to handle the loads when cornering. I think a little slalom down the fire road is enough to kill these.

You buy those new or used? They look pretty worn out for only 5 rides.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    You buy those new or used? They look pretty worn out for only 5 rides.

How much pressure you have in them?

All fat, all the time.

5 rides on a usfs fire road that was used by cars until a washout turned it, into a hiking and riding path, smooth small gravel.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear-left--02.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	110.5 KB 
ID:	1066643Click image for larger version. 

Name:	To-show-wear.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	85.6 KB 
ID:	1066642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Left-Front-01.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	113.2 KB 
ID:	1066641

Where did you buy them from? I'd be going back to them and hope for a replacement or refund.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    I had THE EXACT same cut and mine had one ride and were brand new!
    Same here. 2nd or 3rd ride on very familiar single track and I lost a sidewall

mtbr member
    Mine lasted only 400-500 miles before they were toast. They may have lasted a tiny bit longer with tubes, but going tubeless they were completely done. I loved them, but I've never had a set of tires wear out this fast. I just switched to some spendier Husker Du's, sure they cost more than my FBN's, but they should easily last 4 times as long.

All fat, all the time.
    I hope they didn't change them.... The ones I had last year still have decent tread after over 1500 miles of singletrack.

Ancient Astronaut
    Mine are new and have 5 rides 5.4 miles long on a smooth fire road, Negotiator is hired obviously damage control, so thanks and move on.

For novices like Negotraitor I imagine the clues as far as the wear is concerned are clean graphics, perfect Zipping, webbing, and also the rubber spike casting a shadow on the first pic.

I have to say that these FBN replaced my original tires A Big Fat Larry in front and Nate in the rear. On the same trail, where I exclusively ride my 2011 9:Zero:7 they lasted 5200 miles. Seriously, I will post a pic tomorrow, and yes the nate is so bald that you can almost see the air The BFL started to show little holes on the worn knobys.

The FBN are grippy, no doubt, and I like that part , but the quality is dismal, and worse is the nasty customer service.

About the pressure, 10 in front and 12 in the rear, anything less and the casing suffers under braking. I ran 8 and 10 in the BFL and Nate.

Ancient Astronaut
    Mine are made in China, not Japan like their web states. Maybe they changed factories.
    The side wall does not show a 120TPI either, could some of the guys who bought these when they first came please check about the origin and TPI being stamped on the side wall or not.

mtbr member
    Where did you buy them? I don't know specifically about the FBN tire, but panaracer traditionally had several versions of their tires. The Japanese version with supple casing and the cheaper Chinese version with cheaper lower tpi construction. The old panaracer fire are a good example of this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mine are new and have 5 rides 5.4 miles long on a smooth fire road, Negotiator is hired obviously damage control, so thanks and move on.

For novices like Negotraitor I imagine the clues as far as the wear is concerned are clean graphics, perfect Zipping, webbing, and also the rubber spike casting a shadow on the first pic.

I have to say that these FBN replaced my original tires A Big Fat Larry in front and Nate in the rear. On the same trail, where I exclusively ride my 2011 9:Zero:7 they lasted 5200 miles. Seriously, I will post a pic tomorrow, and yes the nate is so bald that you can almost see the air The BFL started to show little holes on the worn knobys.

The FBN are grippy, no doubt, and I like that part , but the quality is dismal, and worse is the nasty customer service.

About the pressure, 10 in front and 12 in the rear, anything less and the casing suffers under braking. I ran 8 and 10 in the BFL and Nate.
    Naw buddy. I was just skeptical because mine have lasted over 1,500 miles. I have since replaced them with Bud / Bud for winter use and now Jumbo Jims. Also before I put the FBN on, I had used 3 different types of tires. Maybe I was just lucky with my pair of FBNs, but I surely am not a novice. It's too bad that yours got trashed so quickly.

Loser
    I have owned 6 Fat B Nimbles over the last year. 2 of them lasted until the tread was gone. The remaining 4 tires lasted maybe six months, I've cut the sidewalls (like the above pictures) on all of them.

I just bought a Specialized Fast Trak, we'll see how those hold up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have two and ride on some sharp rocky sections. They've given me about 1500 worry free miles. I'm light... So maybe that's the difference

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I think with a case so thin, the psi can't be too low. Im 197lbs and run 20psi on front and 25 on rear. Anything lower then that I get rim strikes or front tire buckles on high speed turns.

Ancient Astronaut
    Hi Eroc,

The Max Pressure they have stamped on the side wall is 20PSI.

From what I have seen the casing is not thin, the side wall is.

Could you post pics of your tires?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi Eroc,

The Max Pressure they have stamped on the side wall is 20PSI.

From what I have seen the casing is not thin, the side wall is.

Could you post pics of your tires?
    My tires say max is 35psi

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

mtbr member
    I think with a case so thin, the psi can't be too low. Im 197lbs and run 20psi on front and 25 on rear. Anything lower then that I get rim strikes or front tire buckles on high speed turns.

Those don't look like 26x4.0. Easton arc 30? Is that a 27.5 rim?if so, it's obvious why you're running way more pressure

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    29×3.0 on a 30mm id rim

mtbr member
    29×3.0 on a 30mm id rim

Right, so the rest of us are discussing the 26 x 4.0 version, which has different TPI, max pressure and obviously can be run at far less pressure than yours.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I guess I will exit this thread. Thanks

Ancient Astronaut

BFL and Nate after 5200 miles

Here are the shots of the BFL and Nate after 5200 miles, I would not hesitate to ride these in the dry, the Nate in particular developed a like sand paper surface which gives amazing grip disregard the knobs or lack thereof.

The BFL was never very confident inspiring on sandy banks around switchbacks, where is tends to fall down the bank, but without a doubt these are quality durable and competent tires.

The FBN were a big mistake, but living in the boonies and having LBS 2 hours away who do not stock anything, one has to play the product lottery Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-03.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-bfland-nate-120tpi-01.jpg

Loser
    That's some impressive "asset bleeding". Maybe I need to run the Nates for a longer period of time, I hated them after a few rides - too much slipping on slab rocks.

All fat, all the time.
    Mine are made in China, not Japan like their web states. Maybe they changed factories.
    The side wall does not show a 120TPI either, could some of the guys who bought these when they first came please check about the origin and TPI being stamped on the side wall or not.
    The new ones I bought say made in China on the packaging. They are not stamped 120tpi anywhere on the tire itself.
    I looked at my old ones, they are not labeled 120tpi on the tire either, they look identical (marking wise) to the new ones .

Time will tell.

Unless I missed it you still haven't said where you bought these from?

Ancient Astronaut
    I hated them at first also, but my beef was it was like riding a vibrator. The surface we ride the fatty on is a fire road and it can be abrasive, no rock slabs here, mostly pine needles and soft clay. The good grip surface developed in this environment but might not on what I assume is "a more dusty" rock surface.
    One thing I can tell you is that the nate, did get better as the knobs wore down, of course, that applies to dry riding mostly.

mtbr member
    well, i didn't have much luck with my FBN's, but for $35 i was willing to buy a replacement.

Panaracer Tire 26 x 4.0 Fat B Nimble Folding : TheBikesmiths.com
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1

Ancient Astronaut
    Hi Swerny,

That is not what I paid for mine... I did some searches and the prices were higher than that, is this a recent purchase? How long have them been selling for 35.50.

I still think they blow chucnks ) Its most definitely a softer hit.

If it is a recent purchase, they might be trying to unload them...

mtbr member
    Hi Swerny,

That is not what I paid for mine... I did some searches and the prices were higher than that, is this a recent purchase? How long have them been selling for 35.50.

I still think they blow chucnks ) Its most definitely a softer hit.

If it is a recent purchase, they might be trying to unload them...
    I bought them today. I wound up price matching with Jenson and buying from there
    Last edited by Swerny; 05-05-2016 at 05:36 AM.

Ancient Astronaut
    I ordered my FBN in Nov 15, when we got a little snow for a few days and the worn out BFL and Nate were pretty sketchy. That is fatbike season and the prices were high. The snow went away and I did not put them into service until April.

The prices are low now, I picked up a Vee Rubber Mission Tubeless for 29 bucks shipped, I am going to try it today, visual first impression is good, definitely better quality, and although tubeless, it is lighter than a new Nate 120TPI that originally bought when I built the 2011 9:ZERO:7. The Nate had a defect, blisters, I procrastinated on sending it back and here it is still. That later lead to getting the BFL.
    Again from the looks of it, the knobs are about the same height that those of the middle aged Nate when it started to work great on my surfaces.

Ancient Astronaut

inside and outside

After dismounting the FBN's I looked inside the casing and here are some examples of what shows.
    These are some examples.

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-outside-split-01.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-inside-defect-weakness-01.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-outside-split-02.jpgPanaracer Fat B Nimble!-inside-defect-weakness-02.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Intresting...I am picking up a set for $35 apiece today. Perhaps I should re-think the purchase. Or just ride them until they fail...and go back to my Knards/Nates.....

mtbr member
    if you're really gentle with the sidewalls...
    mine did exactly as pictured above, but I charged everything at will with them.
    to me, these are a classic example of a company wanting to say they have the lightest X vs making a superior product. until theres a v2 with a better 120tpi sidewall, I just can't buy another set. they rode great, but I don't want to worry about a tire like that.

beer thief
    Same experience here. My 27.5 x 3.5 (actually less than 3.0) FBNs lasted less than 500 miles. I will never buy another pair at any price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks.....ended up saving my dollars as I have two two good 4" Knards and a set of 4" Nates already....

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Anyone have any other recommendations for a 29x3.0 that are actually a 29x2.6/2.7 at riding psi? I was considering one of these but the lack of TLR and side wall tears have me reconsidering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by homebrewtim View Post
    Thanks.....ended up saving my dollars as I have two two good 4" Knards and a set of 4" Nates already....
    Smart move! I recently removed my Winter/Spring beach tires (Halo Nanuk), and remounted my FBNs for Summer. After that hassle, and without being able to get them mounted with true roundness, I now wish that I would have put my new 4" Knards on instead. I will ride them for the rest of the Summer and early Fall, until the monsoons clean up and re-arrange the beaches, and then I'll re-install my Nanuks. I will change over to my Knards next Spring.
    Both of my FBNs are out of round in the same exact area on each tire, mounted on my Marge Lites, which are nearly perfectly built (just because I can neither see nor measure any imperfections in my wheels, doesn't mean that some may not exist).
    Both tires "dip" in from true roundness by about 1/8th inch in the middle of the 12-to-15 inches of their dips, in exactly the same location on the tire, indicating that the mold for the casing is off, and that the manufacturing is crappy. I had to fight three rounds with each of these thugs to get them to fit onto the rims, using talc, dish soap, and lots of elbow grease. Not happy with the dip that won't/can't be removed! Once I take 'em off, they ain't going back on, except maybe for use as an emergency spare.
    I just broke several ribs and suffered minor collapse of a lung in a road bike crash last Monday, so I won't be riding for a couple of months, anyway, and the FBNs will suffice for my local trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Anyone have any other recommendations for a 29x3.0 that are actually a 29x2.6/2.7 at riding psi? I was considering one of these but the lack of TLR and side wall tears have me reconsidering.
    My 29x3 Bombolonis measure 2 7/8" mounted on RHs at my riding psi (12F and 14R). That's 2.875" though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Replaced FBN on front with a Nobby Nic 3.0. Amazing improvement!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    I have the FBNs mounted up tubeless on my 85mm HRDs. They work just fine. Used fattystrippers to get em mounted tubeless. No leakage at all, and I ride hard.
    Going to rescind my earlier comment as well. 2 sidewall cuts in a month, and they're done. Switched to JJ Snakeskins. Much improved ride and no annoying AF wobble.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234