Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Sweet. Did you setup the lefty yourself? If that is your wife's bike what are you running?
    I have the good fortune of being an hour from Mendon Cyclesmith and Craig helped me with it.

I have the same bike without orange accents. I also have a HED carbon rear wheel for my bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-dscn2295.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Fat b Tubeless. Made the switch yesterday, after about a week of FbNs aired up with tubes. Had to push a bit to break free one bead, other side stayed in place. On the first one I pulled the core of the presta valve, used a blow tip/ comp to inflate- bead popped in place, held enough to replace the core and use compressor to seat the bead firmly. Second tire I left the valve intact, aired up easily and set the bead. 4 oz Stans in each, front tire initially bled a lot of air thru the spoke holes and cutout, near the stem. I needed to air it up 5x or so before it held air. The rear tire some leakage, but sealed up quicker. Marge Lites, clown shoe strips.
    I played around with pressures on the ride, a few hours of xc. All was well until near the end when descending fast, braking more, the rear started leaking around the beads, needed to air up twice, and finally just rode back to the car standing, to avoid the last air up. I'm assuming the braking slipped the bead on the rim, and will seal up as the stans sets. Held air overnight fine.
    Ride wise felt good- seems more responsive, as it should, I'm estimating 17 oz less per wheel, over the Nates with tubes.

mtbr member
    ^^^Very similar experience here . . .

1. Rode the FBN's with tubes for a couple of weeks.
    2. Swapped the the stock marge lite rim strips with clownshoe strips (put a layer of lightweight hobby shop ribbon down first).
    3. Used soap and water to seat the beads (probably not necessary) and left the tires aired up at 25 psi for 24 hrs.
    4. Deflated tubes, broke bead on one side, removed tube.
    5. Installed tubeless valve stems, removed cores. Added 4 oz Stan's to each tire.
    5. Set wheel horizontal on 5 gal bucket with broken bead facing down and aired up with compressor and nozzle. Bead popped right into place. Put the valve core in without losing much air. Probably put 20 psi in initially.
    6. Stan's & air leaked at multiple spoke holes and places around the bead. Did the Stan's disco dance for a few minutes.
    7. When the pressure got pretty low, I put some air back in with a floor pump, back up to around 20 psi. More disco, a little more leakage, but the everything sealed up at around 8-10 psi.
    8. Put the wheels back on the bike and went for a short disco ride around the hood.
    9. No more leakage or air loss in the tires over the last 24 hours.

Haven't had a chance for a real ride yet.

I weighed things as I went and came out with a slightly less weight differential than you. 380g/13oz difference between Nate w/tubes & marge strip vs tubeless FBN w/ moonie strip and 4 oz stans.

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_2290%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I've been running the 26x4, 120TPI FBN's on my new Bucksaw since picking it up a month or so ago. Ran them with tubes for one ride of 20 miles and then used the cling wrap method to go tubeless. Worked great using a compressor to set the beads. Added 8 oz Stan's and have been enjoying them ever since. Very rocky, chunky, sandy in areas, loose over hard here in so Arizona. Fast rolling, great cornering, no self steer running 10/12psi f/r.

Ordered a spare off eBay last Wed and it arrived yesterday (Sat). Best deal I've found so far at $52.25 ea with free shipping. Weight came in at 1180.2 grams. Very happy with the purchase at Panaracer Fat B Nimble 26"x 4 0 Folding Bead 120TPI Fat Bike Fast Tire Fit Surly | eBay

Mine came Priority Mail but just noticed they have changed to Economy Shipping so will prolly take a week or so.
    Last edited by AZMB'er; 05-20-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Had the price wrong, duh.
    Hard work MUST have killed someone

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Hey AZMB'er! How's the wheel diameter with MargeLite/FBNs compared to MargeLite/Nates?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I never had the Nates on my bike. My LBS built up a frame and I chose to use the FBN's from the start. When I set the FBN's up tubeless I measured the front tire/wheel at 20psi while off the bike laying on a table. The FBN's have a knob right in the center so I measured to the outside of those knobs using a square and marking the table with a pencil on both sides then measuring between the marks. I guess I'm telling you all this to let you know that this was a pretty accurate way of measureing (and how anal I am lol). Anyway, to answer your question, outer diameter is 29" exactly.

BTW, the Bucksaws geo is based on a 742mm tire which is 29.21" so the FBN's are pretty close.
    Last edited by AZMB'er; 05-18-2015 at 11:29 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thank you Sir! That's exactly what I want to hear. Now its time to get a pair of FBN.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by qsysuser View Post
    Thank you Sir! That's exactly what I want to hear. Now its time to get a pair of FBN.
    You won't be disappointed. Where are you getting them from? The eBay ad says 2 sold in the past hour, was that you?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMB'er View Post
    You won't be disappointed. Where are you getting them from? The eBay ad says 2 sold in the past hour, was that you?
    Wasn't me either. I ordered a Fat B Nimble on Saturday and received it just now. Weighed in at 1190 grams. Shipped on Friday, received on Monday to Seattle/Tacoma
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!

How are these tires on pavement compared to other tires you all that have had other have used? I am trying to figure out the best rear tire that rolls fast. Knard is the front runner right now unless someone here thinks these are better also because they are smaller. I am doing a fair bit of commuting right now on nates. I want the fastest least resistance setup that I can still ride single track with. The Nate takes lots of work but rides fine. Endomondo showed I went 33mph the other day.
    Last edited by tundratrader; 05-18-2015 at 09:02 PM.

mtbr member
    They are great on pavement. fast and fairly quiet
    I have pair on my OOF and they get about 50 / 50. road and offroad
    also wearing very slowly a good allrounder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    We4 //

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Fat B Nimble VS. On-One Floater. Changed out the rear tire that had the Floater yesterday. Floater on Weinman 80, Nimbles on 80 Mulefut.

Cons:

Same hill run I use most days and noticed much more slippage over loose/dried dirt. Nimbles don't like to run at 4.5 PSI, and didn't interact with the Larrys on front very well at that pressure. They had what felt to be self steer that affected the rear end handling as well as the Larry's on the front. Had to air them up to 6 PSI. They don't seem to wrap around roots and rocks as well as Floater, and that may be they had to be run at a higher PSI. Had a couple more pedal strikes than I typically do with Floater over the same terrain.

Pros:
    Nimbles are noticeably lighter on the wheel (Nimbles 1190 g, Floaters 1447 g), but the Mulefuts were 300 g lighter than Weinman. They aren't too bad for traction. I didn't fail to make any of the usual steep sections. I got through the steep sections with noticeably less effort even with some slippage. I didn't really get much time on pavement so I won't even speculate for speed. All in all, I'll keep them for summer single track riding.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    ^^ I also felt that lower pressures aren't where these FBNs shine. They seem like a great trail tire. I have been playing around with mine, and I found that about 6.5 lbs F and 8.5 lbs R works well for my trail and gravel riding. Firm, but not too bouncy. They are OK on the beach if I air 'em down a pound or so, but then I'll air 'em back up for the trail or road.
    At 6.5F and 8.5R, on Monday, I had to ride in a truck tire track to make it from the packed sand down near the low tide line up the beach approach, as the sand on the upper beach was dry, soft, lumpy, and deep. It resembled some kind of fat-bike trap, almost. Without that truck tire track to provide a smoother and firmer surface, I would have lost traction for sure.
    There were some spectators, and so I gave it my best effort, and prevailed!

bigger than you.
    Why the eff would you run your tires that low on trails?! I get it for snow & sand but for hard surfaces it seems ridiculous.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like the cush on the trails (I'm also using a thudbuster), the traction going up steeper hills is far superior, and the tire's, at low pressure, ability to wrap around a root or a rock rather than sliding off, at least for my style (or lack thereof) is much better.

I carry a pump to experiment with the pressure and have no qualms about adding to or subtracting from.
    Last edited by Bumpyride; 05-20-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: grammatical flagrant violation

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I weigh only 160 lbs dressed to ride. My Pugs is about 40 lbs with tools and water on board. So, only 200 lbs, total weight on a typical ride. For me, anything over about 7 lbs in the front feels too hard. Seemed like 8 lbs F was not enough cush, and too much bounce. I need more air in the rear, and 8.5 lbs R works fine for me on the trails, and still offers plenty of cush, feels firm enough without bounce.
    For example, my FBNs seemed a bit bouncy and too hard (lack of cush) for me when I tried 8.5 F and 10.5 R.
    I don't feel hardly any rolling resistance on the trails at these (6.5 lbs F and 8.5 lbs R) pressures. My FBNs roll nice and fast. I think I have found the sweet spot for me and my riding. Your experience will likely be different.

mtbr member
    Need some tips. I can't get my new FBN 4" to seat at all (I'm going the split tube method)... Totally confused. Did the same exact set up as my winter 4.5" snowshoes on same 80mm weinmann rims???

I just can't see having to go back to tubes. HELP!

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolbydarma View Post
    Need some tips. I can't get my new FBN 4" to seat at all (I'm going the split tube method)... Totally confused. Did the same exact set up as my winter 4.5" snowshoes on same 80mm weinmann rims???

Put tubes in them for a day or so to get them in the right shape. Then break one side, pull the tube and install tubeless valve (or split tube in your case). If the other side won't seat, put an old tube or ratchet strap around the tire to help it hold air. A compressor helps but shouldn't be mandatory.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Did you use dish soap and water?

mtbr member
    I didn't use soap and water, the tires went on the rims plenty easy, kinda too easy. They just didn't feel tight on the rims so there was no way to get air to stay in even with a compressor. I ended up using some spare 24" tubes (same ones I use for split tube) to air them up. I'll see if that helps get the tire in the right shape to try again later. The 24" tubes aren't exactly the right size so the sidewalls look at little uneven.

Loser
    What Radair says, those tires were pretty kinked when I took them out of the packaging, it took a few days for them to settle in. I aired mine down immediately after getting the bead set with a tube and both beads moved to the middle again. Let them sit a few days aired up and they should be better. I did get mine to take even without doing that on Marge Lite rims split tube.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the good advice. I left the tubes in for a few days and today the split tube plan went on without a hitch. Super Pumped!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks for all the good advice. I left the tubes in for a few days and today the split tube plan went on without a hitch. Super Pumped!!!
    Glad that worked out for you. My tire was pretty loose to start out with. Took some time to gain their profile with a tube. On a side note, decided that I'm going back to the Floaters. I need a more aggressive tread for my main trails. Lots of large roots to power over going uphill in the Pacific Northwest. Would definitely keep them for a summer tire if I was in a dryer clime. The weight loss is very noticeable. Will probably settle back to one set of wheels. Looks like my setup with the Floaters rear and Larry front works out best for me summer and winter so no real need for two complete wheelsets.

mtbr member
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpg

This is what I typically ride so I'm really hoping these FBN's will be the right choice. Definitely loving the weight savings already.

All fat, all the time.
    Zero complaints from me on these tires still.....

mtbr member
    What bike is that? You should also be able to come up on pressure since you have a bluto.

mtbr member

Motobecane Sturgis Bullet. Loving it!

Loser
    I have about 175 miles on my Fat B Nimbles in technical, rocky terrain. I still love them - they are providing the right amount of grip and very low rolling resistance. They are holding air great split tube tubeless on Marge Lite rims. I'm running them somewhere between 10 and 11 PSI for my rides (on a Bucksaw). I was a bit concerned about their longevity as it seemed like the sharp edges wore off the lugs quickly. After a few more miles, I don't think that's much of a concern, the tread still looks good.

I think the thing that will take these tires down is the sidewalls. My rear tire has threads showing. I've had other fat tires show threads for a long time before failure, time will tell with these. I'm going to order up another set right now, just to have them here in case (I guess that kind of tells you how much I like these tires).

mtbr member
    The sidewalls are my main concern as well. They just feel so thin!

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I have about 175 miles on my Fat B Nimbles in technical, rocky terrain. I still love them - they are providing the right amount of grip and very low rolling resistance. They are holding air great split tube tubeless on Marge Lite rims. I'm running them somewhere between 10 and 11 PSI for my rides (on a Bucksaw). I was a bit concerned about their longevity as it seemed like the sharp edges wore off the lugs quickly. After a few more miles, I don't think that's much of a concern, the tread still looks good.

I think the thing that will take these tires down is the sidewalls. My rear tire has threads showing. I've had other fat tires show threads for a long time before failure, time will tell with these. I'm going to order up another set right now, just to have them here in case (I guess that kind of tells you how much I like these tires).
    Even though they didn't work out for me, I'd recommend them to anyone that has different terrain and would like a more versatile tire. Bike rode faster and smoother, and in most cases was all you could ask for outside of my main singletrack which has it's own set of problems.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The sidewalls are my main concern as well. They just feel so thin!
    Hmmm. I was surprised at how solid the 120 tpi sidewalls felt on my FBNs compared the the really thin (almost flimsy) feeling sidewalls on my 60 tpi Halo Nanuks! That's why I'm saving the Nanuks for winter beach riding tires. The Nanuks won't be doing a lot of trail riding, except for the local dune and pine forest trails.
    I'm really liking my FBNs for the trails and gravel, and as an all-around tire.

Loser
    It could be fine, I had threads showing on Floaters for a long time without failure. Only time will tell.

banned
    Sep 2008
    shocked at how well the knards have held up after over a year of all conditions riding, but i want to try something different. a bit concerned with how much smaller the fbn is even compared to my knard 3.8. hudu 4.0 are smaller as well. was riding with a guy today that was on a brand new set of maxxis mammoths and wow what a nice looking tire that is. sidewalls seem bomber and they roll fast. he is coming off a set of bulldozer 4.7 so it's no surprise that he had to get used to there being less traction with the mammoth, but he was very happy with how they rolled, obviously. i'd like to go with the lighter fbn, but....

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Running FBNs on my Spesh Fatboy SE and I really like them so far. I really think they are a great summer tire for the Fatboy. At 55 donuts a piece, I think they are a relative bargain too. Now if I can just keep from getting pinch flats with my Q tubes SLs!

mtbr member
    My fat bikes maiden voyage was cut short due to a pinch flat... I've gone the split tube route ever since.

I haven't gotten these FBNs out for a rock ride yet due to all the trail closures due to rain, but I can attest to their pavement performance. I went on a 17mile urban ride today and actually enjoyed it thanks to these tires. On my snowshoes pavement was never an enjoyable option.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    In your pics where you were looked very rocky or were those just pics taken to take for the sake of the bike? Confused...

mtbr member
    Shots on the fun trails were pre-FBNs...

mtbr member
    Shots on the fun trails were pre-FBNs...
    Gotcha man. Yeah the fbn sounds hard to beat. Especially on price. Has anyone had them on the beach? If I don't have these before a sorta long beach ride soon. I am gonna throw endos on. They are great for beach and sand. They roll so easy.

Loser
    The one shortcoming I've found with the FBNs is on dry leaves - they don't dig in very well, not a big deal, but they'll slide if you lean in too far.

banned
    Sep 2008
    my bike's one step closer to getting a bit lighter today. now it'll officially be a 26+ with the new fbn tires

ordered 4. arriving tuesday

mtbr member
    Is that because it is a 3.5" tire? Sounds good to me.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    Is that because it is a 3.5" tire? Sounds good to me.
    no it's because it's a 4" tire that measures less than my 3.8's. from what i here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    no it's because it's a 4" tire that measures less than my 3.8's. from what i here.
    Mounted tubeless on Marge Lite rims my FBN's measure approx 3.57".

HuDu's on the same rims (tubeless) measure approx. 3.67".

The FBN's are also 100 - 150 grams lighter (each) than the HuDu's.

Very good choice for a light, fast rolling summer tire IMHO.

...and the price is right!

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtuck1 View Post
    Mounted tubeless on Marge Lite rims my FBN's measure approx 3.57".

HuDu's on the same rims (tubeless) measure approx. 3.67".

The FBN's are also 100 - 150 grams lighter (each) than the HuDu's.

Very good choice for a light, fast rolling summer tire IMHO.

...and the price is right!
    ya, quite a bit cheaper than my knards which are quite a bit cheaper than hudus and many others. hudus are definitely a bit smaller than my 3.8 knards so the fbn will look like + tires, lol!!! pedal strikes here i come!!! at least they'll be fast pedal strikes!

stoked to try them! braaaaaap!!!

Not the fake Jay Leno
    ^^no kiddin! I've noticed quite a few more pedal strikes compared to when the spesh GCs were on me Fatboy. It's happening at the same place on the trail too. You'd think I'd learn!

mtbr member

Finally on some trails

I finally got these FBNs on my regular trail. Had a little bit of everything to ride on. Tons of rocks (of course) but also had some mud, wet rocks and sand too. I gotta say these tires really impressed me. They did everything I wanted very well and did it lighter! The fatty felt a bit more "mountain bikey" if that makes any sense. Quicker with less rolling resistance. No self steer at all but still tons of grip. The soft sidewalls did the job - lots of deforming around the rocks giving tons of grip, and took some hard hits as well without any noticeable damage. They held strong and kept coming back for more. Realistically I think I'll add more air to the rear. It was softer than what I needed but I wanted to really test my spilt tube set up.

All in all I'm stoked with these tires.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-image.jpg  

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    ^^no kiddin! I've noticed quite a few more pedal strikes compared to when the spesh GCs were on me Fatboy. It's happening at the same place on the trail too. You'd think I'd learn!
    the spesh is designed around those HUDGE GC tires and wide rims so it makes sense that you'd be striking left and right. my charge is designed around 4" tires on 80's so the fbn on 65's will be near the same. i was being dramatic

mtbr member
    Installed mine today, 1180g mounted tubeless on 65mm Nextie rims. There's a lot of wobble on these, on both rims. I hope to be riding tomorrow provided it doesn't storm as the weatherman is predicting. May be too early to tell, but I'm thinking lots of vibration at high speeds.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Great first impressions

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-received_10100925355258153.jpeg
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-received_10100925355263143.jpeg
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-received_10100925355278113.jpeg

Just got these setup toobless today. Bead seats real easy and audibly. Lost about 1.5 lbs over my d5s. Initial impressions after some concrete riding are that these ride A LOT quieter than the Dillingers and turning is much more confident. Can't wait to take them on the trail tomorrow. Even if they're only good for 700 miles, for that price you can't go wrong!

banned
    Sep 2008
    wobble? like as in bad quality tires? or just not seating correctly set up toobless on your rims?

mtbr member
    wobble? like as in bad quality tires? or just not seating correctly set up toobless on your rims?
    The bead is uniform all the way around. No issue with seating. No leaks either. I've seen similar with 27 tpi Knards, and they expanded into shape after a few rides, but we're not this bad. Looking at 1/2" or so of wobble. I'll bring a camera and try to take a vid of this.
    This is the fourth set of tires on these rims, so I know it's in the tires.

I wish MFG would take more care packaging tires and stop zip tying tires. It's possible that might be what's doing this. I want to give them a proper ride before I say the tires are defective. I had a rough time setting up a Hodag a few months ago because of a zip tie crease. It eventually worked itself in place with the help of a good air compressor.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Judging by the measurements coming in...

As a side note... While this might seem like a good race tire, it's not going to qualify for the 3.7 inch minimum standard applied at most fat bike races. Just food for thought.
    I can't speak for races outside of Michigan, but promoters here go by what's printed on the tires. No one will measure anyone's tires. This keeps people from sneaking in Krampus and other + sized tires into Fatbike categories. No one has ever been DQd for using Husker Du's which typically fail to reach 3.7 on most rims. I was able to use those last year on Rabbit Holes which narrow the tires even further.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    The bead is uniform all the way around. No issue with seating. No leaks either. I've seen similar with 27 tpi Knards, and they expanded into shape after a few rides, but we're not this bad. Looking at 1/2" or so of wobble. I'll bring a camera and try to take a vid of this.
    This is the fourth set of tires on these rims, so I know it's in the tires.

I wish MFG would take more care packaging tires and stop zip tying tires. It's possible that might be what's doing this. I want to give them a proper ride before I say the tires are defective. I had a rough time setting up a Hodag a few months ago because of a zip tie crease. It eventually worked itself in place with the help of a good air compressor.
    i see. i run tubes so maybe they'll take proper shape quickly.

thank you

bigger than you.
    i didn't have any issues with mine.

mtbr member
    Mine were a little wobbly as well when I still had the tubes in while waiting for the shipping deformation to go away so I could go split tube. Once the tubes were gone I had zero issues.

mtbr member
    Just finished my ride. Thankfully I barely feel the wobble in the rear tire. Performed flawlessly on dirt, slightly sandy sections, some greasy sections reinforced with bricks, plastic, or rubber. Not much mud here, but what I did get shed right away.

mtbr member
    Today, I built up a 47mm trials rim on a FatLab hub, and threw a FatB on there. Set up with tubes, it has a visible lateral wobble, and probably ~3/16" runout. This on a rim trued to < 1/64" runout. I couldn't tell on the pavement I rode, but might be able to on perfectly flat cement.

I'm probably the only one on planet Earth running this same tread in a 4.9" front/4.0" rear combo. I didn't notice any negative effects on trail from the loss in rear volume. Solid climbing and cornering traction. Still wheelies like a fatbike, which is one of the biggest adjustments going back to a 29er. Hopefully the decrease in volume doesn't mean an increase in pinch flats.

Such a MASSIVE difference in size between the front and rear. I like the idea of all that compliance up front. Lets me bump up the bluto pressure and really irons out irregular lips and obstacles for predictable bump jumping and whatnot. Hard to ignore the weight loss out back though, and I'll be building up a matching front sooner or later.

banned
    Sep 2008
    1st real ride on em this am. all singletrack, fairly techy with lots of roots, rocks, short punchy climbs, some off camber. typical rough east coast stuff.

6' 165lbs
    full rigid charge cooker maxi with 65mm marge lites

after a year of loving my 120 tpi knards it was time move on.

the weight of the new fbn's is about the same as my well worn knards so no real drop in weight

mounted em up with 24x2.4.2.75 toobz with no sealant. they mounted up well but didn't seat as easily as the surly rubber did.

to be continued........

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I've had two good rides of singletrack on my FBNs - about 20 miles total. Setup toobless on my Marge-Lites; they wouldn't mount without a compressor, but once they setup there was no weeping or leaking of stanz at all. As others have noted, there is a slight wobble in mine as well. It seems to be getting better, tho. I rode them this Tuesday on a local trail that's pretty much a hilly singletrack rock garden, and they did great! They roll much noticeably faster than D5s, corner much better than D5s, but grip less than D5s while climbing. I'm really digging the tread pattern of them as well. I think in terms of 'bang for your buck' this is probably as good as it gets tbh (at the moment). Even if that little wobble doesn't go away, I'll still be happy with how they've performed thus far. Time will tell as to how long they last.

banned
    Sep 2008
    1st real ride on em this am. all singletrack, fairly techy with lots of roots, rocks, short punchy climbs, some off camber. typical rough east coast stuff.

6' 165lbs
    full rigid charge cooker maxi with 65mm marge lites

after a year of loving my 120 tpi knards it was time move on.

the weight of the new fbn's is about the same as my well worn knards so no real drop in weight

mounted em up with 24x2.4.2.75 toobz with no sealant. they mounted up well but didn't seat as easily as the surly rubber did.

to be continued........
    ok, so seating the tires wasn't bad at all. air up to 25 and pop pop. tires weighed in at around 1160 grams each. the front tire is straight as an hour and the rear definitely has a wobble to it. i'll ride it for a time and then may give qbp or panaracer a call to get a replacement under warranty as i surely wouldn't sell a tire like that to a customer. the wobble isn't noticeable on the trail or road surprisingly enough, but it still isn't right.

1st thing i noticed is how nicely they spun up to speed. the profile isn't quite as round as my knards, nor do the side knobs wrap around as far, but traction is definitely a fair bit better than the knards. i never had issues with the knards traction, but with the fbn i noticed how much more positive the grip was moving forward, the corners and braking. YAY! some sections when damp where i sometimes find myself picking my way thru on the gingerly side, i could just pedal on thru and not get squirmed from side to side. sweet

the tire is definitely a bit narrower than the knard, but for most things trail it's totally fine. given the grip and tread pattern i'll prolly leave them on all winter unless the smaller size is really noticeable.

may add more......

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    I put a folding FBN on the front of one of my bikes, and it's driving me mad that it's not seating properly (tubed on a Schlick Northpaw 47mm). I tried unsuccessfully at least a half dozen times inflating/deflating with a compressor/floorpump, both dry and with Windex to help it slip into place. No dice. Only a few short rides, and it ain't no Vanhelga, i.e., it rolls faster than the VH, but doesn't grip as well laterally when leaning due to the less meaty shoulder knobs. It's exactly as I expected.

Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-18751478958_f65cab8bb4_h.jpg
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    I rode a couple weeks ago with some other guys who also had a bit of tire wobble. The front tire is straightening out nice, the rear has improved a bit. Wish all this stupid rain would stop so I can get more miles in on these. Working fine, even with the rear wobbling a bit, at high speeds on pavement I'm really not feeling it. I did freak out a guy on a road bike that drafted me a while. He thought my rim was bent. Not possible as they are carbon, I explained about the tire.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My front has a very slight wobble, but I only notice when cruising on the DG path near the trails. Don't notice when really riding.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    My front has a very slight wobble, but I only notice when cruising on the DG path near the trails. Don't notice when really riding.
    Same here and only on the front and at higher straight speeds. At first I thought my wheel wasn't true, but now I believe its the tire wobble.

Anyone out West in the desert chunk that want to comment on these tires? I was looking at HuDu's or Jumbo Jim's, but at 1/2 the price, these are worth a look at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-20150619_150602.jpg

105mm

Kind of small but Ok.

banned
    Sep 2008
    rode em this am on much faster terrain, but some good steep climbs to be sure. fast descents, some rocky and steep. tires grip amazing on everything i've encountered. i'd say that the knards definitely roll faster, but i'm really digging the grip/easy rolling combo of the fbn. rear tire wobble seems to have improved some, so i'll wait till after the weekend to make any phone calls.

man i must admit to have visited the pain cave early on. felt like i was pedaling squares thru molasses uphill into the wind. i usually ride early mornings. my body wasn't ready for high noon over 80 degrees. took 20 minutes to push thru the meh

perfect knobs on these, imo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    my body wasn't ready for high noon over 80 degrees. took 20 minutes to push thru the meh perfect knobs on these, imo.
    80? It's 98 here, no use in complaining.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZINGER View Post
    80? It's 98 here, no use in complaining.
    ha, i hear ya, it's just that since the snow melted we've had VERY few really warm days and most days even up till now i'm wearing arm warmers, a wind proof vest, or even a light shell. even this week!!!

today was the 1st ride over 80. 83 and humid. plus all i ate was a piece of toast and a banana that i shared with my 8 month old 3 hours earlier, and a cup of coffee.

not enough in the tank. but i rallied on the second half!!! i know i'm putting out good wattage when my bike is creaking from every orifice

good stuff

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Mounted up a pair of these yesterday. They weren't really what I had in mind when I went to the shop, but it's what they had in stock. I wanted a tire that is lighter with a less aggressive tread than the Nates that came on the bike. When I mounted them (with tubes) I had to air the rear up to 25-30 psi to get the bead to seat fully around the rim. There is a slight wobble in both tires, but I have to be staring at them while riding to see it, and it's nothing I can feel while on the bike. Hopefully, it will dry out enough to get a ride in later this week...

Loser
    How many miles are you guys getting on the FBNs? I have about 400 on my pair and the rear sidewalls are pretty torn up. I expect to get another 100 miles out of them - but maybe I'll be surprised. I ride in rocky terrain and even though I am consciously trying not to hit the sidewalls, I often hear the sound of sidewall against rock.

beer thief
    How many miles are you guys getting on the FBNs? I have about 400 on my pair and the rear sidewalls are pretty torn up. I expect to get another 100 miles out of them - but maybe I'll be surprised. I ride in rocky terrain and even though I am consciously trying not to hit the sidewalls, I often hear the sound of sidewall against rock.
    I have about 500 miles on my 27.5 x 3 FBNs and they both now have tubes in them. Not real durable but that's the price we pay for light tires.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Not enough miles on mine yet to tell durability, been commuting on the cross bike more lately, but will report back. The rear tire wobble has gotten a bit better, but i got a credit for that one and will ride it till they're available thru q in august sometime.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I have about 500 miles on my 27.5 x 3 FBNs and they both now have tubes in them. Not real durable but that's the price we pay for light tires.
    Sidewall tears?

beer thief
    Sidewall tears?
    The rear has a tear that looks like it was cut with a knife. The front I did over the weekend and it's a hole in the tread that wouldn't seal. Maybe with more sealant it would have plugged itself. I put the tires through some very nasty terrain over the past month so I can't say I'm surprised.

Loser
    My rear sidewalls look like someone has been going at them with a really dull file.

mtbr member
    Wide rims?

I reckon 50-60mm would be the max I'd put FBNs on. That way they are still rounded with lugs projecting past the sidewalls.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

beer thief
    My rear sidewalls look like someone has been going at them with a really dull file.
    Your rocks are way sharper than up here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mine have about that much mileage. I don't like very much squirm, so I keep decent air in them. Riding mostly noon technical rocky trails. No wear is evident.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Run mine on marge lites and they aren't quite as round as my knard 3.8, but they handle and corner REALLY well. Side knobs wrap fairly well. I surely wouldnt run them on a wider rim than 65.

Bet they'd be perfect on rabbit hole 26 rims.

I surely wouldnt run them on a wider rim than 65.
    That's disappointing to hear. Guess I'll be looking at D4 or VH for my Pug w/ RD.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    The rear has a tear that looks like it was cut with a knife. The front I did over the weekend and it's a hole in the tread that wouldn't seal. Maybe with more sealant it would have plugged itself. I put the tires through some very nasty terrain over the past month so I can't say I'm surprised.
    your 3 week trip area can't be too kind to tires.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by stremf View Post
    That's disappointing to hear. Guess I'll be looking at D4 or VH for my Pug w/ RD.
    ya man, the fbn are little. like a true plus tire, lol!

mtbr member
    I've got mine on 80mm rims and have had a blast on all kinds of rocky terrain. The main thing with these tires has been dialing in the air pressure from one trail to the next. Whenever I think these tires aren't working the way I want I just add or subtract psi, and than I'm back to happy. 😃

Loser
    Mine are on Marge Lites.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Great ride on mine tonight. Wicked grip. You'd hafta be riding a bike way wrong to lose traction in nearly all conditions with the fbn.

mtbr member
    rog - liking these better than Knards?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    rog - liking these better than Knards?
    overall, no not really. i like the weight of them better, a bit better grip fer sure, but they sure don't roll as nice as knards. i like the profile and better wrap of the side lugs of the knards, but the fbn have no trouble holding in the corners which given the profile really surprised me. would i buy them again over the knards in the future? no i'm going with the even lighter jumbo jim 4.0 with snakeskin. got tired of waiting for the jj so went with fbn. no regrets whatsoever.

bigger than you.
    I have about 600 miles on my front and so far, it's looking pretty good. I'm digging this tire even though I bought it because I couldn't wait for the Jumbo Jim SnakeSkin, either. the only downside is that I haven't been able to get it to set properly toobless with margelite/clownshoe rimstrips, so I put a Q-tubes Superlite in instead.

Loser
    I couldn't get that clownshoe thing to work either - split tube worked fine.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I have about 600 miles on my front and so far, it's looking pretty good. I'm digging this tire even though I bought it because I couldn't wait for the Jumbo Jim SnakeSkin, either. the only downside is that I haven't been able to get it to set properly toobless with margelite/clownshoe rimstrips, so I put a Q-tubes Superlite in instead.
    was running q-lites, then went to regular q-tube 24 x 2.4-2.75. alost half the price and a bit lighter. air up/install real nice, mebe better than the 26" tooby.

This place needs an enema
    Installed two of these for a customer today. 10-12mm of side-to-side runout on each. Beads are seated perfectly--it's not the install, it's the casing. Wobbly with a capital W.

Am I out in left field on this, or have others had this problem too?

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Installed two of these for a customer today. 10-12mm of side-to-side runout on each. Beads are seated perfectly--it's not the install, it's the casing. Wobbly with a capital W.

Am I out in left field on this, or have others had this problem too?
    yup. one came in perfect, the other has a pretty good wobble and seated perfectly. warranteed the wobbly one. read the TR, others with similar issues with one or both.

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Dang, I got mine on flea bay, and they seem ok. If they did wobble, it's probably because of the horse poo that I ran over.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    Dang, I got mine on flea bay, and they seem ok. If they did wobble, it's probably because of the horse poo that I ran over.
    LOL - nice

Not the fake Jay Leno
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit21 View Post
    LOL - nice
    Worst part about fat bikes with the wide tires, it's hard to avoid the poo on singletrack.

mtbr member
    I talked to Jeff Zell at Panaracer about this and it sounds like some of the tires in the first batch have varying degrees of wobble in them. I have gotten my hands on about 8 of the 29x3 tires and 2 were ok but the other 6 had varying degrees of wobble from +/- 1/8" up to +/- 1/4". The really wobbly ones were almost unrideable.

They warrantied my tires very quickly and the replacements are nice and straight. It is a bummer to have to go through the warranty process but it seems like Panaracer is really willing to stand behind their product and want to make this right.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bbudell View Post
    I talked to Jeff Zell at Panaracer about this and it sounds like some of the tires in the first batch have varying degrees of wobble in them. I have gotten my hands on about 8 of the 29x3 tires and 2 were ok but the other 6 had varying degrees of wobble from +/- 1/8" up to +/- 1/4". The really wobbly ones were almost unrideable.

They warrantied my tires very quickly and the replacements are nice and straight. It is a bummer to have to go through the warranty process but it seems like Panaracer is really willing to stand behind their product and want to make this right.
    Will they still warranty these if set up tubeless?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Will they still warranty these if set up tubeless?
    How can I get in touch with Jeff Zell? Both of mine are very wobbly, even after trying to install several times.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast