Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 101 to 200 of 386
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23

    FBN On A 65MM Rim

    Here ya go. On a 65mm at 8 psi.

    Top pic knob width...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_0462.jpg  

    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_0450.jpg  

    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  2. #102
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Here ya go. On a 65mm at 8 psi.

    Top pic knob width...
    Ooh, no Bueno. Will stick with me knards on my 65's till schwalbe shows up.

    rog

  3. #103
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Here what you really need rog... stop pushing those wide azz 65's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_0473.jpg  

    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  4. #104
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Here what you really need rog... stop pushing those wide azz 65's
    Is that one of those "light strong cheap pick all 3 mikesee specials?

    rog

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    Is that one of those "light strong cheap pick all 3 mikesee specials?

    rog
    Yea...He was lacing up a set of clown shoes for me and I couldn't pass them up... It sucks... they fit my 9:0:7..like I need another set of rims and tires...
    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  6. #106
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Yea...He was lacing up a set of clown shoes for me and I couldn't pass them up... It sucks... they fit my 9:0:7..like I need another set of rims and tires...
    What's the rim weight and width? I run 135 offset rear 4 Evah.

    rog

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Web site says 610g and 45mm wide. I don't think you can offset them, but i'm not sure.
    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    Thanks for posting the measurements, FatClank. I wanted to know Nimble's tread width on a 65mm rim. I have Marge Lites, and so I figure that at 81mm (or 3 3/16"), currently these are the narrowest 4" fat tires that I can fit on them. Heck, that's almost down to 3" and it has me wondering about the need for Rabbit Holes now, since I thought I wanted those for running 29er+ 3" tires.
    Of course I would still want the Rabbit Holes if I wanted to run 2.75" tires.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Here ya go. On a 65mm at 8 psi.

    Top pic knob width...
    Thanks for posting the pics. Yeah, I like that profile better than with my darryls. Ugh, I'm not buying another damn set of wheels. Ha.

    I got out and rode ~30 miles on the river this weekend, the snow wasn't terribly deep, but the tires worked flawlessly in what there was.

    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

  10. #110
    Lazy People Suck
    Reputation: Fett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    756
    I have been riding the FBN's for the past 5 weeks in the Brown County State Park, Indiana area. We have had very little snow, but they have been great on frozen trails. They roll very fast and are light for a fat bike tire.

    We got our first decent snow over the weekend and I did a 3.5 hour ride on 3-4" of newly fallen snow on singletrack. I was the first one cutting trails on most of the ride. The rear tire did well as well far as drive and braking traction. The front struggled a bit in the snow, locking up pretty easily and the lack of side knobs was pretty apprarent in off camber, snow over leaves, type of climbs.

    I think that I would like a more heavily knobbed front tire if I were doing a lot of snow riding, particularly on the side knobs.
    "Son, The world needs ditchdiggers, too"-Ted Knight, Caddyshack

  11. #111
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    19,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Fett View Post
    I have been riding the FBN's for the past 5 weeks in the Brown County State Park, Indiana area. We have had very little snow, but they have been great on frozen trails. They roll very fast and are light for a fat bike tire.

    We got our first decent snow over the weekend and I did a 3.5 hour ride on 3-4" of newly fallen snow on singletrack. I was the first one cutting trails on most of the ride. The rear tire did well as well far as drive and braking traction. The front struggled a bit in the snow, locking up pretty easily and the lack of side knobs was pretty apprarent in off camber, snow over leaves, type of climbs.

    I think that I would like a more heavily knobbed front tire if I were doing a lot of snow riding, particularly on the side knobs.
    I'm not surprised. I was running HuDu when we got that 5" or so earlier this season up in Indy. I was on the ground more than anyone else I was riding with. It was side traction that was the problem. After that ride, I ordered some Nates, which I have been running since. A bit much for the frozen dirt we've had since, but I'm headed to BCSP for the Fat Tuesday ride tonight, and I'll be glad for them on the deeper snow and the more varied terrain than Ft Ben. The HuDu will go back on once spring/summer conditions start to prevail again.

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    942
    Thanks for posting reviews of these tires everyone. I'm trying to figure out what to do regarding tires. I don't have a lot of money to spend ($130 max for pair), but riding the stock missions isn't much fun (especially snow). I'd really like to buy some floaters but they've been out of stock at their US warehouse forever and shipping from UK is $65. The price is right on the FBN's but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they'll be from the missions for snow? Can anyone comment? Also, I'm running 50mm rims so I thought the knobs may extend further down the sidewall for me. No idea how much and if it will matter much though.

    I'd love to have some Nates and could even deal with the 27tpi tires not being very supple, but they're just so damn heavy @ ~1730 grams.

    I guess my best bet is to continue to struggle with the missions and hope the Floaters are stocked again sooner than later.

    These are the only tires in my price range that I've been able to find which have a tread pattern that I'd even consider.
    Price per pair:
    Floaters (out of stock) - $110
    Nate 27tpi - $120
    FBN 60 tpi - $93
    FBN 120tpi - $130

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69tr6r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    624
    PM Sent dietz.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by dietz31684 View Post
    Thanks for posting reviews of these tires everyone. I'm trying to figure out what to do regarding tires. I don't have a lot of money to spend ($130 max for pair), but riding the stock missions isn't much fun (especially snow). I'd really like to buy some floaters but they've been out of stock at their US warehouse forever and shipping from UK is $65. The price is right on the FBN's but I'm not sure how much of an upgrade they'll be from the missions for snow? Can anyone comment? Also, I'm running 50mm rims so I thought the knobs may extend further down the sidewall for me. No idea how much and if it will matter much though.

    I'd love to have some Nates and could even deal with the 27tpi tires not being very supple, but they're just so damn heavy @ ~1730 grams.

    I guess my best bet is to continue to struggle with the missions and hope the Floaters are stocked again sooner than later.

    These are the only tires in my price range that I've been able to find which have a tread pattern that I'd even consider.
    Price per pair:
    Floaters (out of stock) - $110
    Nate 27tpi - $120
    FBN 60 tpi - $93
    FBN 120tpi - $130
    Knob profile pics on a 45mm Dually. Knobs are slightly further down the sidewall compared to a 65mm rim. Not familiar with floaters, so I cannot comment except to say, if you really want floaters, wait for them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_0482.jpg  

    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-img_0481.jpg  

    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dietz31684's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    942
    Floaters are in stock again so I just ordered 2. The tires quest is over...for now.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Knob profile pics on a 45mm Dually. Knobs are slightly further down the sidewall compared to a 65mm rim. Not familiar with floaters, so I cannot comment except to say, if you really want floaters, wait for them.
    Have you ridden on this setup yet? If so, whats your opinion?
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slower_than_u's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    143
    As mentioned above, it seems the FBN is decent in light snow and frozen trails. Unfortunately, we are buried in cold, dry powder that doesn't pack very well and the traction offered by the FBN is not even comparable to my trusty On One Floaters. The FBN are narrower than the Floaters on my Mulefut's and I'm sure that factors into my experience so far with the FBN.

    The weight savings and faster roll means nothing when you're spinning and sliding sideways.

    I just switched back to the Floaters today and will save the FBN for fall/early winter/light snow rides.

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    Have you ridden on this setup yet? If so, whats your opinion?
    I have about 30 miles on them in the snow. They have allowed me to ride farther, faster and I just enjoy riding more.

    The setup is light, 610g for the rim, and is double wall. The tire is 1160g and the side wall is sturdy as well. It would be a good setup for hard pack, rocks, etc., everything I run into when I go bikepacking up north in the summer.

    My planned set of rabbit holes have been cancelled.
    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    Taking it to the top for pics of Nimble's measured width on 65mm rim. Thanks again, FatClank!

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by FatClank View Post
    Here ya go. On a 65mm at 8 psi.

    Top pic knob width...
    Thanks. I'd started a thread looking for this info. Completely missed this one!
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,002

    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!

    Judging by the measurements coming in... Is this the 26 + tire I've been waiting for? I know it's not supposed to be, but I'm guessing on a 47 millimeter rim, it's going to come in around three and a quarter. The dirt wizard has a little less volume than I need, so this might just be perfect. I've got a high volume, rigid 456 that I'm going to try it on.

    As a side note... While this might seem like a good race tire, it's not going to qualify for the 3.7 inch minimum standard applied at most fat bike races. Just food for thought.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    Judging by the measurements coming in... Is this the 26 + tire I've been waiting for? I know it's not supposed to be, but I'm guessing on a 47 millimeter rim, it's going to come in around three and a quarter. The dirt wizard has a little less volume than I need, so this might just be perfect. I've got a high volume, rigid 456 that I'm going to try it on.

    As a side note... While this might seem like a good race tire, it's not going to qualify for the 3.7 inch minimum standard applied at most fat bike races. Just food for thought.
    Exactly 3.25" wide on my Duallys. That would be very cool if they fit on a 456. Let us know if they do.
    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,002

    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!

    To clarify- the setup is super slack and rigid, with 47mm rims, and a zombie 500 fork. I can fit up to 4" in front(a bit less to allow clearance), but only ~2.5" in rear. I'll run the nimble up front and a 2.4 chunky monkey/ardent rear.

    I don't care for the unbalanced aesthetic of true half fat setups, but this may be tolerable.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,417
    Quote Originally Posted by AllMountin' View Post
    ...I can fit up to 4" in front(a bit less to allow clearance), but only ~2.5" in rear. I'll run the nimble up front and a 2.4 chunky monkey/ardent rear.

    I don't care for the unbalanced aesthetic of true half fat setups, but this may be tolerable.
    I'll be doing much the same with my 1x1 which I use for fun type single speed racing.

    I've ordered one of these tyres based on what I've read here, and I'll be running a Dirt Wizard on the back.

    I've run it with a Larry up front before and a Nobby Nic at the rear, and while it was better than standard, there was an obvious imbalance in the tyre sizes.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    23
    Makes sense...I was hoping there was a frame out there that was rear 135mm symmetrical and could clear a 3.25" wide tire. Closest frame I could find is a Surly Instigator.
    82 Redline - Tange Fork - RIP
    9:Zero:7 190mm
    9:Zero:7 135mm Slider

  26. #126
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,104
    Got a good 18 mile ride on a pair of new fat b nimble today.
    Rear on a 65mm nextie, sealed first try tubeless, no weaping of sealant at all.
    Front on a Marge lite because I have hub bearing issues on my front wheel. It was being finicky so I tossed a tube in until the other wheel is fixed.

    Knob height is very similar to hudu. Hard to tell from pics, but I was pleasantly surprised.

    So.... They weigh less, cheap on amazon, and after today's ride I'm happy to say they are as good if not better than the hudu.!
    I had a bit of everything today, hero dirt, mud, freeze/thaw, loose rock, of camber roots covered in pine needles.
    These tires hooked up great!!!

    I won't be running hudu again based on the performance, lightness, and cost of these.


    Edit, forgot to mention, these roll very nicely (keep in mind I'm coming off a set of studded tires) but from what I remember they seem to be rolling better than the Hudu.
    They are also solid on fast corners, no squirming, no self steer.
    Last edited by Shark; 03-09-2015 at 12:13 PM.

  27. #127
    move on up...
    Reputation: Forged1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    397
    Thanks for the report Shark!Glad to hear this, I have a set to mount up once the weather breaks.

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    964

    Re: Panaracer Fat B Nimble!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forged1 View Post
    Thanks for the report Shark!Glad to hear this
    Ditto. This may be my summer bucksaw tire.

  29. #129
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,104
    Seriously at $65 shipped I should have bought 4

    My only mistake was wanting to try them while there is still ice out there.
    Almost went down today on an icy section of gravel road....
    The diy studded tires really made a huge difference in safety.

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    Dangmnit! Youse guys aren't making it easy for me to hold off springing for a pair. I'm having so much fun roaming the beach and the dune trails here in my 'hood on my Halo Nanuks (great beach tire!), that I might just never leave and go inland!
    Ha! Fat chance of that! I've got plans, although I'm already down to "Plan B."

    I have to hold off on my old "Plan A" to get a 29er+ Rabbit Hole setup, since I will have a bunch of insurance "co-payments" in the near future, that will be due for the procedure of fixing my "surfer's ear." (Left ear is now completely closed up and virtually deaf, with constant tinnitus).
    However, priorities being what they are, I think I can squeeze the "Plan B" FBNs into the budget!
    I assume that its the 120tpi folding bead version we're talking about here.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    I loves me Marge Lites, but a hypothetical question haas been plaguing me lately. Has anyone here mounted up an FBN on a 26" Rabbit Hole? Looking at Fatclank's pic of a FBN on his 45mm rim, it looks like a good match up. He mentioned that the outer tread nubs are out around the shoulder further then they are on a 65 mm Marge Lite.
    I wonder how a set of FBNs mounted up on a front RH and a rear Marge Lite would ride. Would the ride and feel be noticeably different from the same tires on Marge Lites F and R? Or is this just a case of "I thimk, therefore I am confused?"
    I have never ridden a fat setup with a 50mm front rim and 65mm rear, so I haven't a clue.

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    OK. I'm done tire shopping for now. I ordered a pair from Universal, since I already was ordering some other stuff from them. I got my free shipping and discount, along with their usual excellent customer service.
    I may not mount them up for a while, since my Nanuks are working fine on the beach and dunes.

    Greenbacks are useless in their folded state, and they make terrible salads! Any extra ones found laying around should be traded in for bike parts immediately. Or, since I live in WA state, maybe for some good pakalolo.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    617
    Just ordered a pair of these for my Mukluk as summer tires from Universal as well.

    According to advertised weights, these should save me over a pound per tire vs my 27 tpi Nates. Ordered a set of light Q-tubes as well. Close to a pound and half drop in weight per tire for under $200, I'll probably wish I tried this sooner.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    251
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    As mentioned above, it seems the FBN is decent in light snow and frozen trails. Unfortunately, we are buried in cold, dry powder that doesn't pack very well and the traction offered by the FBN is not even comparable to my trusty On One Floaters. The FBN are narrower than the Floaters on my Mulefut's and I'm sure that factors into my experience so far with the FBN.

    The weight savings and faster roll means nothing when you're spinning and sliding sideways.

    I just switched back to the Floaters today and will save the FBN for fall/early winter/light snow rides.
    For some reason I can't send you a PM (webpage just hangs).

    I've been wondering how a fat B nimble ends up on a mulefut as I'm considering these as summer tires. Do you by chance have any pictures of your bike or wheels with this tire on?

    I may be subjecting it to some light duty DH action, want to be sure there's enough tire to avoid rim damage.

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Ditto. This may be my summer bucksaw tire.
    This is exactly why I bought two 120tpi FBN tires. I'm mounting them on 70mm Whisky carbon rims with I9 hubs for a lightweight option for my Bucksaw. I'll have this set of wheels/tires for 3 season riding, and my stock Marge Lite wheels with 120tpi Nates for the winter.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tundratrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565
    These look like a good summer choice. Interested to see how they work on a rabbit hole vs marge lite.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation: davesupra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Got a good 18 mile ride on a pair of new fat b nimble today.
    Rear on a 65mm nextie, sealed first try tubeless, no weaping of sealant at all.
    Front on a Marge lite because I have hub bearing issues on my front wheel.

    Edit, forgot to mention, these roll very nicely (keep in mind I'm coming off a set of studded tires) but from what I remember they seem to be rolling better than the Hudu.
    They are also solid on fast corners, no squirming, no self steer.
    I get some self steer with them on a 82mm rim (Darryl) when I drop pressure below ~7 psi. With the narrower rim do you get no self steer at all at low pressures? If I keep mine above 8 psi the self steer completely goes away.
    DaveH
    '15 Salsa Horsethief
    '13 9:ZERO:7
    '09 Specialized Allez
    '16 Salsa Fargo

  38. #138
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by davesupra View Post
    I get some self steer with them on a 82mm rim (Darryl) when I drop pressure below ~7 psi. With the narrower rim do you get no self steer at all at low pressures? If I keep mine above 8 psi the self steer completely goes away.
    We have zero snow here, so paired with suspension, nope I haven't gone that low yet

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwalker View Post
    For some reason I can't send you a PM (webpage just hangs).

    I've been wondering how a fat B nimble ends up on a mulefut as I'm considering these as summer tires. Do you by chance have any pictures of your bike or wheels with this tire on?

    I may be subjecting it to some light duty DH action, want to be sure there's enough tire to avoid rim damage.
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-imageuploadedbytapatalk1426299878.853428.jpg

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    Mine arrived yesterday (Th) afternoon. I ordered them Monday from Universal. I found them on my porch after returning from my afternoon beach/dune ride. They look kinda like what I expected.
    I don't have a digital scale that is precise to finer than 0.1 lbs, but I weighed both tires together on a couple of different scales, calculated the average, and then divided that figure by 2 to get an approximate weight of one tire. Came out to 1210 grams.

    Today, still rolling on Halo Nanuks, I rode some trails in the pine forested dunes, then headed out onto the beach, where the wind was howling, headed upwind with some effort, then sailed back downwind and wised up in time to grind back up over the primary dunes and into the pines where it was sheltered from the winds. I rode a course of loops that I've worked out in the small network of trails. My Nanuks still seem right for the job.
    These FBNs are going to come into play on some inland trails, local logging roads, and maybe even some paved backroads.

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,002


    Checking in at 85mm casing width on a 47mm rim, or 3.35". Slightly wider than anticipated, but that's tubeless and in the 12-15 psi range.

    Tubeless setup was easy with split tube. Profile looks good. I think this tire will be just the ticket.

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,417
    Just put one of the wired Fat Bs on a 40mm rim:

    81mm wide on lugs; height 720mm; 11psi.

    A Larry on the same rim measured 88mm wide.

    This makes it ideal for half fatting my 1x1 because it fits nicely and doesn't cock up the HA much.

    Edit: some pics...

    Fitted to my 1x1. Plenty room.






    On standard 1x1 fork. Tighter fit, may be better on 35mm rim than a 40mm.






    I'll be trying it in the rear later. I doubt it will fit with the 40mm rims, so I'll probably have to build a wheel with a narrower rim to try it.

    If it works, I'll start a Fat 1x1 thread.
    Last edited by Velobike; 03-15-2015 at 05:44 AM.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AllMountin''s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,002
    Short vid at the local spot. FatB up front. Cornering in heavy leaves.



    Predictable, consistent, and never let me down. Good compliance for a rigid build. What's not to like?

  44. #144
    Dirt Huffer
    Reputation: AC/BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,639
    How are they on concrete? Could you bike up a 45 degree incline for a short while?

  45. #145
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    How are they on concrete? Could you bike up a 45 degree incline for a short while?
    That depends more on the rider, not so much the tire imo. These are meant for dirt and trails, as you may get some self-steer on concrete...but go for it!

    Just ordered up the 26 x 4.0 for the rear and mounting up on drilled HL-80's for the time being. Still considering a bit larger front tire as I know these run small, but should be great as a rear tire....can't wait to hit the dirt!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  46. #146
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    How are they on concrete? Could you bike up a 45 degree incline for a short while?

  47. #147
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Just put one on the front. Very loose fitting tire, did not want to set up tubeless. I ended up using a tube after fighting with it for a half hour. I might give it another try in a week, but aft how easy it has been to set Vee tires tubeless, I'm disappointed.

  48. #148
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Just put one on the front. Very loose fitting tire, did not want to set up tubeless. I ended up using a tube after fighting with it for a half hour. I might give it another try in a week, but aft how easy it has been to set Vee tires tubeless, I'm disappointed.
    Whatcha got for rims? Just picked one up for the rear but don't think I will be running tubeless on the HL-80. Good luck!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Just put one on the front. Very loose fitting tire, did not want to set up tubeless. I ended up using a tube after fighting with it for a half hour. I might give it another try in a week, but aft how easy it has been to set Vee tires tubeless, I'm disappointed.
    Just ordered mine. My snowshoe xl tires on the nextie 65mm weren't particularly easy to set up, so I'm hoping I have the opposite experience and the FBN goes on easier

  50. #150
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Whatcha got for rims? Just picked one up for the rear but don't think I will be running tubeless on the HL-80. Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Just ordered mine. My snowshoe xl tires on the nextie 65mm weren't particularly easy to set up, so I'm hoping I have the opposite experience and the FBN goes on easier


    I've got Marge lites with clownshoes rim strips. They were exceptionally easy to set with Vee HBillies and snowshoe 4.5's, but the bead didn't want to seat all the way with the Panaracer. It's quite a bit smaller than the H-Billie, both narrower and smaller in diameter. In my case, with a 110mm Lefty, it's given me more clearance, made the rake less slack and quickened the steering, all positives. The profile is rounder and the side lugs are more aggressive. I dig this tire and if i can get it tubeless, I'll like it even more

  51. #151
    move on up...
    Reputation: Forged1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I've got Marge lites with clownshoes rim strips. They were exceptionally easy to set with Vee HBillies and snowshoe 4.5's, but the bead didn't want to seat all the way with the Panaracer. It's quite a bit smaller than the H-Billie, both narrower and smaller in diameter. In my case, with a 110mm Lefty, it's given me more clearance, made the rake less slack and quickened the steering, all positives. The profile is rounder and the side lugs are more aggressive. I dig this tire and if i can get it tubeless, I'll like it even more
    Glad to hear the positive report, I hope tubeless works out for you.

  52. #152
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    525
    I had to put a tube in for about a week before I was able to set them up tubless on my Ican 65s. After taking the tube out and keeping one side sealed, I was able to set them up tubeless.

  53. #153
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Negotiator50 View Post
    I had to put a tube in for about a week before I was able to set them up tubless on my Ican 65s. After taking the tube out and keeping one side sealed, I was able to set them up tubeless.
    that's what I'm hoping for.

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    that's what I'm hoping for.
    That especially good considering those supposedly aren't tubeless compatible!

  55. #155
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    neither are most surly/45nrth tires.

  56. #156
    aka bOb
    Reputation: bdundee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,860
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    neither are most surly/45nrth tires.
    Dang it I wish someone would've mentioned that years ago, I could have been killed dead

    edit: speaking of tubeless in non-tubeless tires where has Shiggy been, he seemed to drop off the fat forum?

  57. #157
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    no idea... haven't seen him in a while.

  58. #158
    try anything on a bike
    Reputation: blue_biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    462
    My FbNs have been tubeless for a month or so. No leaks. Super easy on marge lites.

    Just did one strip of the gorilla tape, 2.88 width, untrimmed up all across the wheel and up to the outer lip. Mount tire with tube 1 day. Then remove tube, set brad again. Add stans. Ride!!


    This was after failed attempt with clear gorilla tape. Which the stans eats the adhesive on quickly. Rendering that method useless. Plus the original gorilla tape is far easier to work with.

    Questions, just ask, happy to help.
    The most freeride like fat bike I could make with available parts...

  59. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    I've got Marge lites with clownshoes rim strips. They were exceptionally easy to set with Vee HBillies and snowshoe 4.5's, but the bead didn't want to seat all the way with the Panaracer. It's quite a bit smaller than the H-Billie, both narrower and smaller in diameter. In my case, with a 110mm Lefty, it's given me more clearance, made the rake less slack and quickened the steering, all positives. The profile is rounder and the side lugs are more aggressive. I dig this tire and if i can get it tubeless, I'll like it even more
    I just set mine up tubeless on Whisky carbon rims. VERY tight fit, almost had problems with them peeling back my tubeless rim tape while mounting them on the rim. They were actually tight in the center of the rim, and the air compressor didn't push out any air around the tire when I gave it a shot of air. Set up tubeless quickly, and I actually struggled to get them on the rim in the first place. Maybe some production variances in the manufacturing process of the FBN's? Mine were TIGHT.

  60. #160
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    525
    Love these tires on 65 icans tubeless. Road them on a gravel race and they were considerable better than my snowshoes.

  61. #161
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Just got mine. Weighed in at 1154 and 1160 grams.
    Should be an excellent improvement for socal trails!
    ( over snowshoe xl)

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    I just mounted mine up last night on my Marge Lites, using Surly Tubes. The hardest part was breaking the bead of the tires (Halo Nanuk) that I was removing. Those Nanuks were so tight to the rims that I was afraid that I'd rip the sidewalls with my thumbs before the seal was broken. It was like they were glued on.
    The FBNs seem harder (than were the Nanuks) to get the bead lined up perfectly on the rim. I had to deflate the tires a couple of times and wrestle with them on the rims to get them to line up evenly all the way around.
    Finally got 'em on as evenly as I could and pumped 'em up to 20 lbs. They held overnight, and I threw the wheels back on the Pugs earlier this morning. Going to test ride them on a trail later today. I'll start on pavement to see how the higher pressure rolls, then progressively air 'em down to trail and beach pressures.
    I don't expect them to perform as well as the Nanuks do on the sand, but I'm hoping they feel right for the trails and logging roads.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtuck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    410
    I just bought a pair of these in 120tpi, folding bead on ebay for less than what I paid for one HuDu 2 years ago. I hope they are as good as the reviews indicate but no matter what I am very happy about the direction tire prices are going.

  64. #164
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    PlutonicPlague - did you use soap on the rims/beads? With my Nates, I found that made a huge difference in being able to get the beads to seat - with the soap (on the front) they slid right into place, without soap (on the back) I wrestled to get the bead seated consistently all the way around.

  65. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    PlutonicPlague - did you use soap on the rims/beads? With my Nates, I found that made a huge difference in being able to get the beads to seat - with the soap (on the front) they slid right into place, without soap (on the back) I wrestled to get the bead seated consistently all the way around.
    No, I did not. In retrospect, I should have used soap. I know about the trick, but sometimes I'm just a stubborn idiot. I am running tubes in my wheels.
    Maybe its because I had really good luck with the beads on my Nanuks seating beautifully on the first attempt. The Nanuks were seated in really tight...very hard to bust loose when I removed them to install the FBNs. I wonder if soaping the beads prior to installing the Nanuks would have made them easier to remove?

  66. #166
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    To be honest, most of the time I don't use soap, but after having problems with the rear tire I knew it was the right thing to do for the front.

  67. #167
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    516

    Smile

    Since yesterday was Earth Day, and a beauty of a day to boot, I just had to go for a ride!
    I figured that it was good time to put the FBNs to a test.
    I started out from my driveway, and then shortly cut into the "outback" out along a drainage ditch easement, on a grassy, little used maintenance trail that follows along on the top of the low dike bordering the drainage ditch. Within a mile I was on an old gated gravel logging road, heading back up into the hills, with no traffic. Never having ridden this road before, it was as if I had discovered gravel grinding at its best!
    The highest elevation point was only 206' above sea level, but I started out from 10'.
    I figured out that the road I was on was the very one I was hoping to find that led back into the hills. There were two sections of steeper climbs that I didn't make all the way to the top, due to my heart rate picking up considerably and feeling short of breath. So I had to dismount and push the Pugs up the steep spots. Not far, and only twice. Then I found myself grinding my way back along the top of a reasonably level ridge line. Its tree farm back in there, so I rode across clear cuts and various stages of re-growth. After about a mile or so,I turned around before the road descended into a creek basin. I ground gravel for about the next 4 miles or so heading back the way I came, and then over a flat straight mainline back to the highway, then over to a trail network, where I rode a mile of so of sandy singletrack through the pine forested dunes, then out on the beach for the two miles home, with the wind at my back!
    Total mileage was 11.6, and riding time was 1 hour and 57 minutes, with about a half hour of rest stops. Best 2.5 hours I have had in a long time!
    The FBNs were superb for the grassy trail, the gravel grinding, and the singletrack. When I rode the beach, though, I was glad that the wind was at my back, because these tires just don't float over the sand nearly as well as my Nanuks. TheFBNs were tolerably OK on the beach, but I had no complaints about 'em on the gravel or trails, nor even on the asphalt. The self steer on asphalt wasn't too bad, and I expected some anyway.
    Overall, I'm really satisfied with the performance of these 120 tpi FBNs. I'll probably leave 'em on all Summer until the Fall monsoons hit, and swap 'em out for the Nanuks, when my local wetland trails get flooded, and most of my riding returns to the beach.

    Almost forgot to mention that I hit 27mph on one drop coming back down the old logging road out of the hills, and I could have gone faster, but felt that I had to brake a little bit going into a turn at the bottom.

  68. #168
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I put two FBNs on my Bucksaw this morning. I got the Clownshoe rim strips to do tubeless. My Nates were already tubeless using a split tube. After being unable to get the rear to air up with the rim strip, I ended up sticking a tube in. I did get the front to air up with the split tube. I'll probably go back to do the rear this afternoon split tube, but that's not really important.

    I rode today at a very technical place with tons of slab granite. I've noticed this to be a weakness of the Nates - I spun out a few times on slab rock. The FBNs were great. I was a bit concerned by their somewhat more square profile than the Nates, but I didn't notice any washout when cornering. They roll much better than the Nates and also weigh less, I can't say which of those two, or maybe the combination of the two, but I definitely felt better acceleration and faster rolling.

    I ran about 9 PSI front and back and noticed very little self-steer, I did feel it a few times, but nothing serious and nothing that made me go whoa bad things are happening. In my experience slab rock is exactly where you'd feel the self steer. I started at 11 PSI, but that was too much.

    So far, I'm very happy with them, it really felt like an upgrade to my bike, which is pretty good considering how much they cost.

  69. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I put two FBNs on my Bucksaw this morning. I got the Clownshoe rim strips to do tubeless. My Nates were already tubeless using a split tube. After being unable to get the rear to air up with the rim strip, I ended up sticking a tube in. I did get the front to air up with the split tube. I'll probably go back to do the rear this afternoon split tube, but that's not really important.

    I rode today at a very technical place with tons of slab granite. I've noticed this to be a weakness of the Nates - I spun out a few times on slab rock. The FBNs were great. I was a bit concerned by their somewhat more square profile than the Nates, but I didn't notice any washout when cornering. They roll much better than the Nates and also weigh less, I can't say which of those two, or maybe the combination of the two, but I definitely felt better acceleration and faster rolling.

    I ran about 9 PSI front and back and noticed very little self-steer, I did feel it a few times, but nothing serious and nothing that made me go whoa bad things are happening. In my experience slab rock is exactly where you'd feel the self steer. I started at 11 PSI, but that was too much.

    So far, I'm very happy with them, it really felt like an upgrade to my bike, which is pretty good considering how much they cost.
    9 psi at what weight?

  70. #170
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I'm 170lbs probably 180 with gear.

    Oh and the rear aired up fine split tube after failing with the clowshoe strips.

  71. #171
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spovegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    497
    Jisch, thanks for the tire review and tubeless setup info. Much appreciated.

  72. #172
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I put two FBNs on my Bucksaw this morning. I got the Clownshoe rim strips to do tubeless. My Nates were already tubeless using a split tube. After being unable to get the rear to air up with the rim strip, I ended up sticking a tube in. I did get the front to air up with the split tube. I'll probably go back to do the rear this afternoon split tube, but that's not really important.

    I rode today at a very technical place with tons of slab granite. I've noticed this to be a weakness of the Nates - I spun out a few times on slab rock. The FBNs were great. I was a bit concerned by their somewhat more square profile than the Nates, but I didn't notice any washout when cornering. They roll much better than the Nates and also weigh less, I can't say which of those two, or maybe the combination of the two, but I definitely felt better acceleration and faster rolling.

    I ran about 9 PSI front and back and noticed very little self-steer, I did feel it a few times, but nothing serious and nothing that made me go whoa bad things are happening. In my experience slab rock is exactly where you'd feel the self steer. I started at 11 PSI, but that was too much.

    So far, I'm very happy with them, it really felt like an upgrade to my bike, which is pretty good considering how much they cost.
    i've found, as have others, that the FbN's need to be aired up with a tube for a week first, before setting them tubeless. the tubes weigh about 70 grams more than the clownshoes rim strips.

  73. #173
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I'm 170lbs probably 180 with gear.

    Oh and the rear aired up fine split tube after failing with the clowshoe strips.
    Are you leaving the marge lite rimstrip in when running split tube? Or any rim strip?

  74. #174
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27
    Just put the FbNs on the bucksaw- Marge lites, clown shoe strips. Took a lot of pressure to pop the beads in place, using lots of soapy water sprayed on. Hope to try the tubeless soon, I'll probably give it a week as mentioned here.

  75. #175
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I left the Marge Lite strip in place. I was going to try it without once I got it aired up, but I gave up before I got there.

  76. #176
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Thank you

  77. #177
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    I had vee snowshoes in 120tpi. I switched to the FBN a couple weeks ago. Enormous improvement on dirt. The snowshoes I had to air up because of self steer.
    The fbns slipped and slid around the first day until I realized I could run lower pressures without weird steering. They're lighter and faster.
    I feel like I got 50% of the benefits of a skinny tire bike back, but still didn't lose any fat bike advantages.

  78. #178
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    I feel like I got 50% of the benefits of a skinny tire bike back, but still didn't lose any fat bike advantages.
    ^^^^^^a beautiful thing right there. switching to knard 3.8's gave me some of that. now i want lighter but still fat but not interested in the plus phenomenon.

  79. #179
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    437
    What pressures are all y'all running on the fbns?

  80. #180
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I run about 10 front and back on my Bucksaw - I can go down to 9.0 before things start to get squirrely.

  81. #181
    All fat, all the time.
    Reputation: Shark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,104
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I run about 10 front and back on my Bucksaw - I can go down to 9.0 before things start to get squirrely.
    Same here...

  82. #182
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    I've been running closer to 9 on the last few rides, today I went up over 10, it was noticeably less rolling resistance, but also a harsher ride. That's obvious, but when you get the suspension and tires in sync on this bike it's so smooth. With the tires a bit harder, it really flies (with FBNs).

  83. #183
    bigger than you.
    Reputation: Gigantic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,966
    running about 11 psi, but have gone as low as 9. These tires rule.

  84. #184
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I run about 10 front and back on my Bucksaw - I can go down to 9.0 before things start to get squirrely.
    squirrely cuz you got all that full squish to fight with, or squirrely just cuz that particular tire acts that way below 9?

    Q will hopefully have these back in stock by may 22nd. hopefully the knards can hold together that long

  85. #185
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    Squirrely because of the tires. At higher pressures the Bucksaw is not noodly at all. On a pure dirt trail, I suspect you could lower than 9, but with the rocks around here, I can feel the squirm when I hit the rocks.

  86. #186
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Squirrely because of the tires. At higher pressures the Bucksaw is not noodly at all. On a pure dirt trail, I suspect you could lower than 9, but with the rocks around here, I can feel the squirm when I hit the rocks.
    hmmm, knards not squirrely at all down around 8+-. might hafta rethink my decision. thank you.

  87. #187
    Loser
    Reputation: Jisch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,531
    It could just be me - I ride with a guy on 3.8 knards, if you don't feel the squirm on Knards, I doubt you'd feel it on FBNs, they are pretty close in tread depth and profile from what I can see.

  88. #188
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Just mounted the FBN on the rear and still running a 4.5 Snowshoe front. Not sure what I would like out front when I make the change soon, but the FBN is quite a bit smaller, so it should be good for rear only. Have not ridden them yet as I need to fine tune the drivetrain still. Been off the bike for over a month due to injury and in FL for 10 days...can't wait to ride again!
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  89. #189
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    It could just be me - I ride with a guy on 3.8 knards, if you don't feel the squirm on Knards, I doubt you'd feel it on FBNs, they are pretty close in tread depth and profile from what I can see.
    i'm sold!

  90. #190
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Just mounted the FBN on the rear and still running a 4.5 Snowshoe front. Not sure what I would like out front when I make the change soon, but the FBN is quite a bit smaller, so it should be good for rear only. Have not ridden them yet as I need to fine tune the drivetrain still. Been off the bike for over a month due to injury and in FL for 10 days...can't wait to ride again!
    we should meet up for a ride, we live close!

  91. #191
    Live Free & Ride
    Reputation: NH Mtbiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,094
    Quote Originally Posted by newmarketrog View Post
    we should meet up for a ride, we live close!
    Would love to! Will be working in Newfields for the next few weeks and the bike is coming along. Does mornings at Stratham Hill work for you?
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

  92. #192
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Would love to! Will be working in Newfields for the next few weeks and the bike is coming along. Does mornings at Stratham Hill work for you?
    mornings at stratham do work for me. especially tues-friday as those are work days. 830-1015 am is best as baby goes to daycare by around 800 and my workday starts at 1100.

  93. #193
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,888
    Did the San Diego archipelago ride on these yesterday. Thank goodness I had switched for lighter weight and less rolling resistance. It's a ~55 miles ride and I think 5k climbing. They handled all terrain well

  94. #194
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    27
    I'm liking the FbNs quite a bit- moderate ride today on dry packed dirt xc trails today- granted, speeds were slower, half the speed of dark, as my border collie led the way, and she is slowing down. Nothing negative noted at all- seemed more responsive than the nates, (this is on a Bucksaw), no loss of traction anywhere. I was starting to consider a 650b+ wheelset for the summer, but i think these have taken care of that, at a very reasonable buy in. Still tubed, will attempt tubeless soon.

  95. #195
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,807
    nice. ya 3.8-4.0 is the true + size, imo. stoked to grab a pair of fbn!

  96. #196
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtuck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    410
    I mounted a pair of Fat B nimble tires on my wife's bike today. They weighed 100 grams less each than the HuDu's that were on it. Also set up tubeless (split tube) on her bike for the first time. They set up tubeless very easily and didn't leak at all. In the end the bike weighed 3/4 of a pound less than when I started and that's with 8 oz's. of sealant per wheel. We went for a little ride and she said the bike had "more get up and go". I didn't ride it so I can't tell you any more than that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Panaracer Fat B Nimble!-dscn2328.jpg  


  97. #197
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tundratrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565
    Wow your wife has a badass bike. What frame is that? Glad they set up toob-less well. What wheels Marge or RD?

  98. #198
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mtuck1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    410
    Quote Originally Posted by tundratrader View Post
    What wheels Marge or RD?
    Sorry, they are Marge Lites.

    Frame is a 2 year old 170 Fatback.

  99. #199
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tundratrader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    565
    Sweet. Did you setup the lefty yourself? If that is your wife's bike what are you running?

  100. #200
    mtbr member
    Reputation: troutie-mtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,060
    My experience of the FBN s. is they are pretty good on most terrain except
    our. ( UK ). Limestone .
    good for speeding along on firetrails and gravel / tarmac /mud / grass. but wet rocky trails and they dont seem to have the grip of the on one Floaters .
    I do like the tyres and they seem very hard wearing done approx 500 miles and they still seem like new which suggests a hard rubber compound and the lack of grip on wet stone .
    will I buy them again. probably not. but only because I have lots of rocky trails to ride and get lots of rain . and it will take a long time to wear them out .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Panaracer Soar
    By DFYFZX in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 10:42 AM
  2. Panaracer Comet
    By offrhodes42 in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM
  3. New Panaracer Rampage 2.35
    By shiggy in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 155
    Last Post: 05-15-2013, 01:39 PM
  4. Panaracer CG TLC 2.35
    By Dan0930 in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  5. Panaracer Fire XC Pro ?
    By Wayne Meuir in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 05:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 120

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •