Dirt Huffer

Pan-caked fat rims

Who has pan-caked a fat wheel yet?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Who has pan-caked a fat wheel yet?.
    or tacoed??

Perpetual n00b
    I don't see how it's possible to taco my Shebas. They are just so wide, plus there's 2 rows of spokes. I'd think a bunch of spokes would have to break in order for the rim to taco.

How much does it weigh?
    Even a 47mm trials rim doesn't really pretzel... they usually collapse because people ground the sidewalls too thin.

I would think the spokes would definitely break long before the rim bends.

mtbr member
    a 250 lb dude jumping/ hucking a moonlader rear wheel might destroy it. but anyone else won't. I beat the hell out of my offset rear pugs wheel this winter with zero issues, and i was doing trials/ jumping it
    your 29er may float over roots and rocks, but my superlight 26 just plain floats

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgschulze View Post
    Even a 47mm trials rim doesn't really pretzel... they usually collapse because people ground the sidewalls too thin.

I would think the spokes would definitely break long before the rim bends.
    I tacoed a HED 45 downhill rim. 45mm wide, hemispherical cross section, 36 spokes, disc brakes.
    Center punched a big tree on a downhill. Folded the rim, broke the steel bar/stem combo, broke a rib and punctured my lung.
    No damage to frame or fork.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

PRETENDURO
    Between four sets of 65mm wide Large Marge DH rims on three and a half different bikes, total combined mileage of over 7,000—terrain varying from cargobike on street and rought trail applications all the way to traversing fast steep technical jagged rock riddled DH trails—I’ve broken three spokes; within the same timeframe I’ve destroyed four bottom brackets and three rear Shimano XT hubs. The Large Marge DH rims for sure will outlast everything else.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

Dirt Huffer
    Waiting on the drillium Darryl crowd to pipe up.

How much does it weigh?
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I tacoed a HED 45 downhill rim. 45mm wide, hemispherical cross section, 36 spokes, disc brakes.
    Center punched a big tree on a downhill. Folded the rim, broke the steel bar/stem combo, broke a rib and punctured my lung.
    No damage to frame or fork.
    Good work

I've seen destroyed Mag30s, and Doublewides... Buddy of mine has a nice casual flat spot in his Mag30 on the rear, he was surprised when I pointed it out.

addicted to chunk
    My drilled RD's have held up fine. Minor dings from low pressure and hitting rocks or roots but nothing major.
    Riding.....