mtbr member

Owner of the Trek Farley and transporting

Getting my 2019 Trek Farley 5 I found a dilemma which I foreseen before even putting my bike on my Thule T2 rack: it's a big bike! Literally it's a big bike.

So thankfully I keep tow straps in my car (not exactly for this) but was able to strap it down to my Thule T2. Wasn't pretty but got the job done.

Now here comes me shopping for a good solution to this and from what I gather the best option is a frame/hanging bike rack that attaches to my 2inch tow-hitch-receiver.

But there frame itself is awfully wide so I am just having one dilemma after another here.

So asking all owners of the Farley and really hoping you are users of the tow-hitch method, what would you recommend?

Seems like Thule and Yakima are the giants but I will take any solution that will work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    1up. You're welcome.

blood in / blood out
    If it is the older T2 like mine, then you have to get longer straps from Thule. The new T2 rack has fixed all the issues I have with my older model.

I also had to buy the fatbike upgrade kit for my T2. That had the straps and new front wheel cups.
    RICOH for LIFE
    Pain is Weakness

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    1up. You're welcome.
    Just installed a Swagman Sitkka. Solid, and easy to use. Assembly instructions are horrible. I bought it from a guy already put together WRONG! Had to disassemble and put it back together. Looked at the pictures carefully to figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSfMCOjJFVQ
    Last edited by Bumpyride; 1 Week Ago at 06:30 PM. Reason: sp.
    Dash Pt. State Park (Tacoma), Big Sky Montana during Snowboard Season, Duluth Mn, a couple of times of year incl. Xmas.

mtbr member
    This warrants a poll and weeks of teeth gnashing...

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCheesehead View Post
    This warrants a poll and weeks of teeth gnashing...
    I own a Farley 9. I do not like bike racks after using them for decades. I sought out and then refurbed a Escalade. A Surburban works just as well. Now I can carry my rides, kayaks, and other toys inside, safe, clean and dry. My wife drives a RAV4 and the Farley lays flat in the back of this small 4 wheeler which amazes me without removing a wheel. As you know, Farley’s are not cheap. Either is my Di2 titanium hardtail. So hanging my favorite rides off the back of my vehicle to be destroyed by a distracted/impaired driver is not in my plans. If your bike is not inside, it is a comprising situation. I can put the Farley in the back of my 750 BMW with the front wheel off with no issues. And then there are Sea Suckers. I use them when I have no other choice and they have never failed me, yet but are always a bit apprehensive the suction cup will fail. Most of my bikes are ordered and takes a while to get them so when possible they travel inside.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A car/SUV big enough to put it inside. No one likes hopping on a cold fatbike.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    You tilt your bike away from the hook arm. Rotate the hook infront of the fork then tilt bike back. The hook clear this way, just doesnt swing over the 27.5x4.5” tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I actually own a T2 and mount my Echo with 4.8's no problem, but not until I bought the longer arms, wider tray's, extended straps, and modified the draw bar (extended it 3'') so it would stick out further from my car and nothing would rub the bumper cover. Does it work? Yes, works great, but it ain't no 1up. My best bud just bought one of those, with the fat bike kit, and it's head and shoulders above what I use, however, he practically had to take out a second mortgage to buy it. To be fair though, I have about $600-$650 in my T2 after all the mods, but it was done over a 5-7 year period so it stung less.
    Last edited by litespeedaddict; 1 Week Ago at 06:13 AM.

mtbr member
    I actually own a T2 and mount my Echo with 4.8's no problem, but not until I bought the longer arms, wider tray's, extended straps, and modified the draw bar (extended it 3') so it would stick out further from my car and nothing would rub the bumper cover. Does it work? Yes, works great, but it ain't no 1up. My best bud just bought one of those, with the fat bike kit, and it's head and shoulders above what I use, however, he practically had to take out a second mortgage to buy it. To be fair though, I have about $600-$650 in my T2 after all the mods, but it was done over a 5-7 year period so it stung less.
    This is a great solution but so far no luck on finding the longer arm and strap. You have urls for these two thjngs?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by uncaged View Post
    This is a great solution but so far no luck on finding the longer arm and strap. You have urls for these two thjngs?
    E-trailer….Google # "752-1272-001 T2 arms etrailer"

Competitive cyclist trays..Google "Fat Tire Kit for T2 Competitive Cyclist" Sraps will come with those.

mtbr member
    Let me start saying I appreciate the effort in helping me.

E-trailer….Google # "752-1272-001 T2 arms etrailer"

Competitive cyclist trays..Google "Fat Tire Kit for T2 Competitive Cyclist" Sraps will come with those.
    I already own the T2 kit but that strap is still not long enough; I believe the Farley 5 is as big as it gets.

I poked and called E-Trailer before your reply and they also said the replacement arms are same as the stock. If I could at least get a larger hook that would solve the issue from that perspective. In short looks like I will just make do with anchor straps till I buy a frame style bike rack. Also there is a "slight" increase from the stock to the new and that is 1.5 inches. Maybe good enough for a woman but not for my situation.

As for those saying put it in your car and etc. There are many reasons why I choose not to do that; I own a Subaru Forester so room isn't any of those reasons.

An entry I found in Q&A.

Is there a Longer Locking Arm for a T2 Bike Rack to Load Bikes with 29 Inch Tires
    Question:
    Hi, I have a T2 916/917 Bike Rack. I bought it when I had 26inch wheels on my bike. The ratcheting arm is not long enough to fit my bike that has 29inch wheels. After reading your QandAs, it looks like I can just order a new ratcheting arm and use the same hardware that is currently on the bike rack to just sway out the 26inch wheel size ratcheting arm for the new longer arm that fits the 29inch wheels Is this true? I want the LOCKING arm like I have now. From your QandAs it looks like I need to order part # 753-3579. Is this part # a locking ratcheting arm that will accommodate 29inch wheels? And, is this the only part that I need in order to make the swap in the arms 26inch wheel arm to 29inch wheel arm?

asked by: Martha W

Expert Reply:
    Replacement Locking Ratchet Arm Assembly # 753-3579 is the same one that originally came on your T2 bike rack so it would not offer any additional length. There is a longer one, # 752-1272-001, which is 31-1/2 inches long overall which is about 2 inches longer than the original. It has been reported to fit the original T2 (916 or 917) but I cannot verify that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Let me start saying I appreciate the effort in helping me.

I already own the T2 kit but that strap is still not long enough; I believe the Farley 5 is as big as it gets.

I poked and called E-Trailer before your reply and they also said the replacement arms are same as the stock. If I could at least get a larger hook that would solve the issue from that perspective. In short looks like I will just make do with anchor straps till I buy a frame style bike rack. Also there is a "slight" increase from the stock to the new and that is 1.5 inches. Maybe good enough for a woman but not for my situation.

As for those saying put it in your car and etc. There are many reasons why I choose not to do that; I own a Subaru Forester so room isn't any of those reasons.

An entry I found in Q&A.

Is there a Longer Locking Arm for a T2 Bike Rack to Load Bikes with 29 Inch Tires
    Question:
    Hi, I have a T2 916/917 Bike Rack. I bought it when I had 26inch wheels on my bike. The ratcheting arm is not long enough to fit my bike that has 29inch wheels. After reading your QandAs, it looks like I can just order a new ratcheting arm and use the same hardware that is currently on the bike rack to just sway out the 26inch wheel size ratcheting arm for the new longer arm that fits the 29inch wheels Is this true? I want the LOCKING arm like I have now. From your QandAs it looks like I need to order part # 753-3579. Is this part # a locking ratcheting arm that will accommodate 29inch wheels? And, is this the only part that I need in order to make the swap in the arms 26inch wheel arm to 29inch wheel arm?

asked by: Martha W

Expert Reply:
    Replacement Locking Ratchet Arm Assembly # 753-3579 is the same one that originally came on your T2 bike rack so it would not offer any additional length. There is a longer one, # 752-1272-001, which is 31-1/2 inches long overall which is about 2 inches longer than the original. It has been reported to fit the original T2 (916 or 917) but I cannot verify that.

How old is your T2?

mtbr member
    How old is your T2?
    Don't know the exact year but it's a Thule 916XT and when I called Thule earlier they said this model came out right before Fat Bikes.

Regardless I see no reason why I can't get a 3rd party ratchet strap that is longer than the one that came with the Fat Bike conversion kit.

As far as the arm, well I am having no luck with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Don't know the exact year but it's a Thule 916XT and when I called Thule earlier they said this model came out right before Fat Bikes.

Regardless I see no reason why I can't get a 3rd party ratchet strap that is longer than the one that came with the Fat Bike conversion kit.

As far as the arm, well I am having no luck with that.

I'm still not convinced the part# for the arm I gave you isn't correct. Measure your current arm, if it isn't 31.5 than the one I showed you is longer, and will work. The one I showed you has the dimensions, and it clearly states 31.5, if yours is an older model it isn't 31.5 which is why I asked about the age.

Same for the fat tire tray kit from Competitive Cyclist, I think it's correct and it also says this "Spring loaded buckle and extra-long wheel straps"

I believe the info I gave you is correct, never mind the question and answer B.S. at the bottom. I bought that fat tire tray kit, two of them in fact, at separate times, both times they came with a strap that works on my 85mm wide Hed's with 4.8 tires, no problem.

I could take a picture of my Echo with the fat tires mounted on my rack, with those parts, it works.

mtbr member
    I'm still not convinced the part# for the arm I gave you isn't correct. Measure your current arm, if it isn't 31.5 than the one I showed you is longer, and will work. The one I showed you has the dimensions, and it clearly states 31.5, if yours is an older model it isn't 31.5 which is why I asked about the age.

Same for the fat tire tray kit from Competitive Cyclist, I think it's correct and it also says this "Spring loaded buckle and extra-long wheel straps"

I believe the info I gave you is correct, never mind the question and answer B.S. at the bottom. I bought that fat tire tray kit, two of them in fact, at separate times, both times they came with a strap that works on my 85mm wide Hed's with 4.8 tires, no problem.

I could take a picture of my Echo with the fat tires mounted on my rack, with those parts, it works.
    I will measure tonight. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Litespeed is leading you down an acceptable path. I've had 3 versions of the T2 spanning over 10 years. You can rig something up with bits you may already have or you can buy off the shelf parts/adapters to make it work as you want.

There are longer arms, wider wheel hooks, wider wheel trays, longer tire straps available.