mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Origin8 Crawler with Nu Vinci opinion

Looking at fat tire bike options. Saw a Pugsley and then the Crawler.

kind of like the gearless CVP set up as far as keeping gears clean.

Dealers are few and far between to test drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hello,
    I have had my crawler for almost a month now, it's an amazing bike and you will love the nuvinci. Also everyone has a surly, too many around and the frame look is getting old, crawler is a great looking bike. Highly recommend it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did you go with seat that came with it? It is really hard! Looking at Forte Mens Softtail or The seat by Ergo. what was your pedal choice? I'm looking at speedplay drillium.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Origin8 Crawler with Nu Vinci opinion

I don't have a fat bike, but I do have a Nuvinci, and I love it. When I build my imaginary fat bike in my mind, it always has a Nuvinci hub. For a while I was convinced that when I finally bought a fat bike, it would be a pug, but now that there are two models on the market that come with a Nuvinci, I will have to be looking hard at my other options.

But read up on the hub. Not everyone is crazy about them. I also had to buy one without ever test riding, and I haven't been sorry, but some folks weren't so lucky. But then if you have a fat wheel with a Nuvinci hub laced in, seems like you might be able to sell it for more than the cost of a wheel with a more standard gearing system, so it might not be a huge risk.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    My NuVinci opinions, briefly:

+ Shifting = awesome
    + Lack of maintenance = woot
    + Clever cable attachment
    + Good warranty on broken freewheels (as I've seen reported, not personal experience)

- Heavy ass, more pronounced rear weight bias compared to other IGHs
    - Narrow overall range
    - Input recommendations leave you at close to a 1:1 output for granny gear, okay if you are in shape I guess
    - Clever cable attachment doesn't negate the fact that there is fiddling to do when changing a tube (as with any IGH)
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I have 30 bikes and own no derailer bikes, I have alfines, nexus, etc.... I love my nuvinci's. my latest build is a 29er+ lefty equipped Nuvinci driven trek sawyer.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I am still using the factory seat, I like to not change anything for a bit on new bikes so I can see what I really need or want to change. I'm not sure on the pedals, they don't have a name, their the ones that the salesman put on for the test ride and I said I'd just stick with them when I purchased. The nuvinci is very fun, at first I was adjusting it to much, like I was expecting to hear a derailur click but now that I am used to it the fine tune adjustability is amazing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Origin-8 is available? Really? Where?
    http://www.jbimporters.com/web/searc...fkawe45d9drh=4

I prepaid in 2011. Would be Still waiting if store hadn't offered a Pugs for the price.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    JB Importers is frustrating as hell to order from =/
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    They seem to be pretty cheap, but almost 20kg?! Thats morbidly obese, we deport people for being that fat in NZ.
    If price isn't too much concern just get a wheelset made up with IGH X in it then grab frame Y and other Z stuff. Or get a TUSKEN!