mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Origin8 Crawler - Change NuVinci N360 to a Derailleur

Good Morning,

This is a great forum and I have been lurking around for quite some time.

Yes Newbie here. I have been trail riding for many years with my trusted Specialized Epic and do all maintenance myself.

The other day a supplier friend of mine sold me his Origin8 Crawler, which has the NuVinci N360 rear hub. The Rear Hub Spacing is 135mm with a slight offset. It is my understanding that I can change that Rear Hub to a Derailleur. I would love to find out what setup would work.

I appreciate all the input. While the Nuvinci is very smooth and seems reliable (only ridden it once - 15 miles), I think I like my derailleur better.

Thank you again

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any 135mm hub with a 9/10/11 speed cassette and a matching derailleur/shifter will do the job, nothing fat bike specific about that setup.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Cool, I was hoping for that. I have been doing a lot of research online and could not find anything. In visually lining up the tire chain and what not it just seemed awful tight, but it sounds like that is more of an optical illusion. Thank you so much

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone3565 View Post
    Cool, I was hoping for that. I have been doing a lot of research online and could not find anything. In visually lining up the tire chain and what not it just seemed awful tight, but it sounds like that is more of an optical illusion. Thank you so much
    I was looking up pics of the bike, and most of the ones I saw had a derailleur hanger, so you're good there. Found some spec charts that mentioned the 135mm hub, too. So any 135 hub will work. Though with the slotted dropouts, you'd be well-served to stay with a bolt-on hub rather than a qr. You'll find it difficult to keep a qr hub from slipping. I didn't see any chain tugs on the bike in the pics. Coming from experience...if the bike doesn't come with chain tugs, you may not be able to find any that will actually fit the bike. It was a problem I had on a different bike with similar dropouts in the past.

A bolt-on hub will let you tighten it up more than a QR to cut down on slippage without chain tugs.

The clearance is not an optical illusion. Chain clearance is absolutely an issue for fatbikes. With the Nuvinci 360 IGH hub as opposed to an external derailleur setup, the bike probably can fit a slightly fatter tire. You might have to downsize the tire a little if chain clearance is an issue in granny. A 1x drivetrain might be a better idea to maintain chain clearance, for that matter.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Hi Harold,

and thank you. That sounds great. Bolt on would be much safer, you are right. I do have the hanger and hopefully will never need the Granny Gear . What is a chain tug.

Thanks again
    Martin

mtbr member
    I had a Crawler a few years ago - the NuVinci hub is a really cool concept - would be great for a townie, didn't work for grinding fatbike slogs. If I remember the setup on this, the frame offset what nowhere close to as extreme as a Pugsley. I don't think it will be possible to have chain clearance around the rear tire, even a smallish 3.8-4.0 when using a derailleur. I'm pretty sure the only way this setup works in because the IGH Nuvinci is essentially setup like a single speed. I believe you're setting yourself up for an expensive, frustrating experiment.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    It does appear to be set up like a single speed but I figured with the offset someone had planned ahead. There are shims on each side of the hub and may allow for slight shifting of the tire/wheel

This place needs an enema
    Sounds like if you go to a derailleur and multiple gears you might have to stop using a fat tire and go with something like 29" or 27+.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    That would suck. My daily trail bike is a 29er and I love it. Wanted to get into the Fat Tire circle. There has got to be something to be done. Origin8 even included a derailleur hanger.

mtbr member
    Internal Gear Hubs - Mtbr.com
    Look around over here...full sub-forum on IGH's. Someone might be able to help you out.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

Most Delicious
    For tire clearance you might be able to use a "single speed" cassette hub and use a modified mini cassette, like this:

Waltworks Bicycles: This one goes to 11

Otherwise maybe switch to an Alfine 8 internal hub?