mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Origin 8 missed the boat

I have not checked the fat board for a few days and now Walmart is all over it. Who would have thought there was a need for a less expensive alternative?

I will not be buying a Mongoose as it is too small and requires too many mods. I would buy an Origin 8 frame if it existed.

Not sure why there is an Origin 8 ad on this site when less than 20 were made and the average person can't buy one.

If anyone working for Origin 8 checks this board - you missed a great opportunity.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had an Origin-8 on order for a long time, until the distributor more-or-less P.O.'d the bike shop over other issues for the last time. Shop built me up a Pug at a sweet price to please the customer (me). Serious bonus points in my view!

Is it true that O-8 only imported 20 bikes? What is UP with that?

Edit: I just logged into FaceBook and went to their page. You may be right about the 20, but it sounds like another shipment is coming in May. Didn't say what year, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    LBS told me the limited number which may have been less. Not sure of the logic.

As for future dates, Origin 8 has never hit those targets in the past with the Crawler. Again, a missed opportunity as their other products have been a good value.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    MY LBS was careful to not share too much info with me, save that their relationship with their local warehouse wasn't good, while every other supplier they use was fine. While waiting, I regularly looked on J&B importers site at new products and saw that many new items never became available at all distribution warehouses.

I'm making stuff up here, but I'm thinking that J&B makes most of their profit from the small stuff: parts and accessories, and looks at new product as a numbers game: "how much can we make, how fast, in what regions?" Here:

http://www.jbimporters.com/web/searc...fkawe45d9drh=4

their web page for the crawler has drop down that shows which warehouses have Crawlers in stock: This morning its CA, AL(?) and CO. CA may have received them off the boat, CO will certainly sell some, but why not MN or NY instead of AL? I assume TX serves the dry southwest, another growing market, and they don't get them either.

My LBS was careful to admonish me not to get too upset (after all, I am riding another brand, now) with the idea that just because a few nutcases in N. Mn love being able to ride outside year-around, doesn't mean there's a ton of money in it, nation-wide. But as you see with the Wal-Goose thing, and a few fat cruisers popping up, there is a ready market for donut-tired bikes.

Maybe not at the current price points, however.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    My lbs has one that I pedaled around a bit that he got in a couple weeks ago. I am surprised that we got one in the middle of nowhere.