Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Opinions on Race Face Turbine Cranks?

After a messy ride today, I took apart my e-13 cranks to clean off the bearings, and to my horror the drive side bearing stuck to the spindle. Everything was a mess, and I manage to free the bearing, but can't get it off the other end. The Phil Wood bearings I put in them no longer seem to turn very well. My fatbike is out of commission again and I have an event I paid for in a couple of weeks. I need to replace the bearing shields as those are shot and e-13 is out of stock. I can re-build these, but I'm tired of fixing crank problems. I've never had issues like this on any other bike I own, my 29r has external bearings, works fine.

This is the third time I've had an issue with these cranks, looking to replace. Looks like the Race Face Turbine is something I could get this week and get my bike up and running again. Would appreciate some feedback on these.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Cranks are good, nothing special. I ran turbines for a few years on a DH bike, stiffness to weight isn't quite as good as a hollow forged crank, but the price was usually reasonable and they were pretty strong. The real issue is the BB, which simply not quite as good as shimano units, but quality has improved for some of these. You can also get the enduro-bearings for pretty cheap to replace them. I'd rather use the x-type race-face setup than the gigapipe whatever setup on my fatbike, it should be better than that.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    I have approx 700 miles on my "Fat" Turbines since February. I've ridden everything from Wet n Slush, powder, sand and super dry they're still spinning as new. My Shimano BB gave out on my 29er about a month ago and I was happy enough that I replaced it with a Raceface Turbine BB.

mtbr member
    Thanks! The Race Face bearings look like they are better protected. Not sure if they are the same size as what goes into e-Thirteen, but I have an extra set of Phil Wood bearings. I'm thinking what happened was those plastic covers that move with the cranks may have worn out enough to let let more gunk in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Hey Steve- I have the Turbines on my Mukluk and I like them- way lighter than stock, nice finish and the bearing seem well shielded. I like the fact that are arm and spindle only, so I could set up whatever rings I wanted. I had the e13's on my Pugsley, and they were pretty fussy. I had to add one thin spacer (not included) to the non-drive side of the Turbine's to take out the side play, but other than that I've been very happy. Get some quick before Iceman!

David

mtbr member
    Anyone seen these for sale anywhere in 170mm length? Thinking about a set for my Mukluk but I can't spin 175's!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the turbine on my bike, and have not had any issues yet. The latest turbines come with race faces' best bottom bracket. I am 275 lbs and put a fair amount to stress on my drive train.

mtbr member
    I like my turbines. Got them in March. +1 on the BB bearings being crap. Just replaced mine this weekend with Enduro bearings, but the fact that you can change the bearings is what sold me on it. And the snazzy red color. They seem stiff enough for my use.

mtbr member
    Thanks all! I'm picking up some blue RF cranks tomorrow, just in time for the fatty class at Iceman.

mtbr member

Opinions on Race Face Turbine Cranks?

I've got the green turbines on my geared hardtail 29er. They're solid cranks. I'd put them on a fatbike in a second.
    -Chris

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    Thanks all! I'm picking up some blue RF cranks tomorrow, just in time for the fatty class at Iceman.
    Wish I could be there with ya, have fun!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I have the RF turbines on my fatbike since new.. I found them to have quite a bit of flex under load, as when I was cranking up hill the arm would hit the chainstays.. Moving the spacers all to one side fixed the problem, not ideal but just replaced the BB with a new RF DH version to get a few more threads into the frame..

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ads-bully View Post
    I have the RF turbines on my fatbike since new.. I found them to have quite a bit of flex under load, as when I was cranking up hill the arm would hit the chainstays.. Moving the spacers all to one side fixed the problem, not ideal but just replaced the BB with a new RF DH version to get a few more threads into the frame..
    That's odd, Turbines have been used for a long time, and while not as ideal as a hollow-forged crank, they are plenty stiff with the I-beam setup and you shouldn't be having that flex. I doubt it's the fault of the cranks, maybe the BB shell or something else.

If turbines are flexing, it would mean pretty much any solid or non-carbon crank would do the same.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    That's odd, Turbines have been used for a long time, and while not as ideal as a hollow-forged crank, they are plenty stiff with the I-beam setup and you shouldn't be having that flex. I doubt it's the fault of the cranks, maybe the BB shell or something else.

If turbines are flexing, it would mean pretty much any solid or non-carbon crank would do the same.
    I tend to agree that it wasn't the crank flexing. More likely the rear triangle flexing out to hit the crank. Some cheap cranks will flex badly, but I'd be surprised if the Turbines did.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Well, it is a Ti frame and although compliant it is a strong material.. I could grip the crank arm in the palm of my hand and holding the chain stay could squeeze it enough to get it to touch ??

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have the RF turbines on my fatbike since new.. I found them to have quite a bit of flex under load, as when I was cranking up hill the arm would hit the chainstays.
    I am going to have to agree with others and say that I very much doubt anyone on this planet has enough power to flex turbine cranks in the manner you describe.

get down!
    I like mine a lot, but I feel like they are squeaking. Anyone else? Maybe it's my dropouts. I'm running single on the Fatback and there is a lot going on back there with the rockers. Gonna lube up the parts and see if it is indeed the cranks

For the money, these cranks are the deal!
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

nothing to see here
    Well, it is a Ti frame and although compliant it is a strong material.. I could grip the crank arm in the palm of my hand and holding the chain stay could squeeze it enough to get it to touch ??
    To properly test whether it's the frame or the crank flexing, tie a piece of string between the head tube and the rear dropout and then repeat your test. If the string sags when you do the test, it's the frame flexing, if not, it's the crank. Of course it may be a combination of both.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    I'm up and running again, did a trail ride today with these new Race Face cranks and they work fantastic. No flex at all that I can tell, seem a lot more solid than the e-Thirteens they replaced. These went on my Ti Fatback, no issues hitting the chain stays. I did not need to re-adjust my front deraillure either.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Ooh, pretty!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I want to ride behind you at Iceman and see where you use that 44 outer ring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I want to ride behind you at Iceman and see where you use that 44 outer ring!
    Must have legs like the Incredible Hulk!!

I found these Turbines in all the colours on eBay for $206, even with shipping to the uk thats was £50 cheaper than we can get them here. I am going to wait until my current BB really gives up then will take the plunge..... in red!

mtbr member
    I also run them on my hardtail 29er, and I love them. Stiff enough and as a single ring setup, I'm pretty sure they are lighter than XT. No problems with the BB either.

FWIW I think they look great too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I see you are running blackspire rings. You find them to be superior to RF, Shimano, Sram rings?

I am a clyde always searching for the toughest drivetrain components.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    I see you are running blackspire rings. You find them to be superior to RF, Shimano, Sram rings?

I am a clyde always searching for the toughest drivetrain components.
    A bike shop owner got me into using these several years ago - If I'm not mistaken my XTR Crankset on my 29r came stock with Black Spire rings. They are so stiff they do not need the little support pins that lineup behind the crank arm. I've never broken or bent these like I have with e-Thirteen or even my Middleburn Duo's. Also, those are stainless steel chainring bolts. I believe someone here clued me in on replacing aluminum bolts (either Mangoman or Leopold Porkstacker). That's what helped crack the e-Thirteen's last year. This year I also replaced the SRAM cassette with Shimano XT's. I've probably trashed more SRAM cassettes by getting twigs in them than I have breaking/bending chainrings. Another thing, last year I bought the Blackspires because e-Thirteen was not selling replacement rings at that time, which has changed recently when I looked on their revamped website earlier this week. So far Black Spires are my favorite, the Wolf Tooth also look good to me, but I've never used them. Middleburn does make some good rings too, but on my other fatbikebike the Duo's only have a three-arm Spider. I have used their Mono once and that was really solid, was hard-anodized too.

Dan - Iceman is a great place for a 44 tooth chainring. Last year in the flats I made a lot of use of it, as well as in some slight DH sections. The e-Thirteen's that were replaced came stock with a 44, so I just stuck with it. I may someday try a different setup, but for now it works fine for me. Don't forget the race starts on flat pavement for a few miles, full gears ahead on that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast