mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Opinion on Maxxis Colossus

I googled it alot, not much reviews around that tire (in snow, as they claim it is a tire for that). Anyone here with snow experience ? I mostly ride single trails that end up being fast with all the snowshoers and fat bikes. Some good turns and steep ups and down. I currently have a pair of Schwalbe JJ 4.0 that have been very fast in the snow hardpack conditions. They seem to be require more attention to tire pressure. I also commute on a less traveled single trail, a bit of road. If it matters, more of a roadie, but trying to get better on the MTB. So power is a strength more then technical abiities.

Looking to acquire a larger volume tire, upgrade, for those days with more snow. I'd actually ride the bigger tire every day in the winter.

I saw the Maxxis Colossus locally on a good deal.
    Surly Bud/Lou looks like the most agressive combo, some say (locally) maybe a bit overkill.
    I could acquire JJ 4.8, cheapest, lighest and best RR (?!)
    Maxxis FBF, FBR. Good price but sold out for now.
    I won't look at the 45nrth products, they are over my budget.

FYI, riding in the Gatineau Park if it matters. FELT DD, assuming they all fit (on original rim 80mm)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Opinion on Maxxis Colossus

I just got a Norco Sasquatch with Colussus tires. I've ridden it a few times on groomed snow singletrack.

Grip seems pretty good, not quite as grippy for cornering as the Bud on my previous bike.

Climbing traction seems good. Rolling resistance seems fine at 6 or 7 psi, but they feel sluggish at lower pressures (3 or 4 psi). I think this is due to the thick sidewalls. If your trails are consistently firm that might not be a problem.

I may replace the rear tire with something faster since we frequently have soft trails that require low pressure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Interesting point about the pressure. I usually like to ride my JJ very soft, sort of used to that . I also think they corner well but that's the only tire I tried. They do require alot of attention going down(not touching front brake much) and climbing
    Could you compare them to bud/Lou on single tracks?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I haven't used Lou in the rear. I had a Bud front and Vanhelga rear on my previous bike. Bud has a little better corning traction than Colossus, and Vanhelga 4.0 seemed to have similar rear climbing and cornering traction to Colossus. The Vanhelga is a really great tire for a 4.0, but also more expensive. Bud front and rear could be a good option for you. Jumbo Jim 4.8s would give you a little more traction than the 4.0s and still fairly low rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I saw the VanHelga tire today. The knobs appeared taller then the Colossus (but VanHelga was aired and mounted compared to the Colossus in a bag).

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I ended up grabbing a pair of Colossus. I did a few rides with them in single tracks on snow. Nothing too deep so far. They definitely have more control on the steep downs (using brakes, keeping traction) then my 4' JJ. Maxxis has a stiffer casing then the JJ. The JJ I found that I really had to play with the pressure and had to go really low. I'm learning to use the Colossus but it doesn't look like it needs to go at lower pressure or that it behaves as nice on very low PSI. I'd have to test more. I only had one spot with deep snow and it went forward nicely. Still learning on how much grip they have when cornering, how much leaning the bike I can do. They seem to grab on off cambers which is good in the snow with sometimes unexpected uneven terrain.

Low pressure meaning sub 4 psi. So far at 4, 4.5 psi it has rode nicely. Maybe I should try more ? I used to ride the JJ at 4 on grabby trails.
    Last edited by wheelzqc; 02-21-2017 at 06:03 AM.