Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009

On One Floater Tire Review

Ordered 2 120 tpi folding Floaters from On-One's UK website because the price was half that of other fat bike tires and included shipping. I found it very difficult to find a review prior to my purchase, so I figured I would post one.

I was looking to replace my 27tpi beaded Nate and Larry that came on my Surly Neck Romancer, the Nate because I thought it would be awfully slow in the summer, the Larry because it tends to wash out quite easily. The few reviews I found of the Floater said it would be somewhere between the Nate and the Husker Du.

The only fat bike tires I have to compare to are the Nate/Larry combo

Initial Impressions:

Less aggressive tread than I was expecting, but still ample. Think Schwalbe Nobby Nic ish.
    Weight according to the website is just shy of 1500g, 300g less than the Nate.
    Easy to install apparently (I had the LBS install them, I was busy, plus I can pay them in beer, how awesome is my LBS?)

The Ride:

Pressure was 8 PSI rear, 7 psi front. I normally run 6-8 psi on the Nate/Larry coombo. My weight? 205lbs
    Conditions play a huge role in the review, trail was singletrack with lots of hills, and was a mix of snow, slush, ice, grass, slimy mud. The weather for my ride was +3 Celsius, cooler in the valley where I was riding and freezing rain. Hardpack snow was covered with a layer of slippery icy slush that even studded tires would have trouble with.

Right away I noticed they were much faster rolling than my previous combo, felt more supple, less bouncy.
    Traction was good considering the very slippery conditions, as I expected, not quite as grippy as the Nate, but the front didn't wash out like the Larry.
    Sheds mud quite easily, in fact, what I did notice with the Larry is when it sheds the mud and water it kicked the dirt all over the brakes, leaving them gritty, the Floater doesn't, not sure why, but it is something I noticed, and it is a good thing.
    Seems there was more float with these than the Surly combo.
    Noise on pavement is noticeable, but less than the Nate.

My climb out of the valley required a climb up a paved road that is anywhere from 12-17% grade. With the Nate it felt so sluggish, wanting/needing to granny gear. With the floaters, up with ease, 3 rings back from granny.

I paid $125 CAD for 2 tires including shipping and they arrived a week later. I think these tires will work well for my summer needs and next winter I will probably put the Nate back on the rear and leave the Floater on the front.

I will update this review as trail conditions change......

mtbr member
    Great review simon! I've been considering a pair of these as well. My local LBS has suggested the Escaltors, but they are at least twice as expensive and nowhere in stock. Might be getting some Floaters....
    Steel Fatback

Nemophilist
    Good Show!

Sounds like your conditions were perfect for an all around review. Almost everything you might imagine running into. I look forward to updates as you grow into them!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Thanks for the review. I assume these are on rolling Darryl's? What do they measure for width on those? I'm looking for a cheaper tire with better rolling for the summer on my clown shoes. Just don't want too narrow where I get rim strikes easily.

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Yup, Rolling Darryl rims, I didn't actually measure the tires, but they say they are 4.0. If you mean the width of the rims, then those are 82mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I too have purchased a set for my Mukluk 3 and am yet to ride them. Fitted they look great and on my Marge Lites they are much wider than the Endo/Larry set I had used previously. Will post a measurement later as my bike is at work.

Tread pattern looks great and tyres feel good when fitting.
    Weighed both before installing and 1400-1450g each tyre

Set mine up tubeless and will test at 8ish psi which is what the Endo/Larry was set at.

Mine cost $129 Aussie dollars with free shipping, incredible pricing when you consider Surly tyres are way more than that for one tyre.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Just ordered a set.

Quote Originally Posted by simonblaine View Post
    If you mean the width of the rims, then those are 82mm.
    Width of widest part of the tire mounted on the rim.

Dirt Huffer
    I have my fingers crossed.

Any ON ONE coupon codes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I brought my bike home last night and took some pics of the tyre sizing for anyone interested. This is size mounted to Marge Lites (65mm) and tubeless

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-010.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-011.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-013.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-014.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what tryes did you have on previously and what did they measure get a full bike pic on aswell we like to see
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized Mukluk 3 Build 013.jpg 
Views:	900 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	790034
    ]
    Dang... I wish tire companies were a little more accurate when they say 4.0" (edit: I'm guessing they will be closer to that on wider rims... duh on my part). Sweet looking tire though... tread looks very "lego"-ish Love your rim strips!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just so there is no confusion, mine is not the original post here. Just wanted to put pics showing widths for anyone interested.

Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread but thought it easier if On-One info was kept together

I originally had Endo/Larry combo and they were narrower, never measured them though.

These tyres may well be 4" on the standard On-One rims which I think are 82mm wide?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    standard on one rims are 70mm so shouldt be that much difference thanks anyway

dvn
    mtbr member
    I will have them on my Rolling Darryl's soon and will post a measurement. They should be darn close to 4" on a 82mm rim.

mtbr member
    These have not showed up in the US store yet only UK boo!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    These have not showed up in the US store yet only UK boo!
    Just buy them from the UK store! On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI / Folding / Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Damm free shipping, we never get that to New Zealand. Ordered 2 tyres $148NZD. One 120TPI HUDU would cost $150USD + Shipping for a quick comparison. These can roll like sh#$ and I wouldn't care It's going to start getting muddy in a few more months so the extra grip will be sweet.

mtbr member
    Got mine. Thanks for the thread. Lots other cool stuff low prices no tax free ship toUS
    for $100 or more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Simon - thanks for the writeup!

I'm real happy with the Floaters that came on my Fatty, but I haven't ridden any other fat tires, so I can't write a review like yours. For the price, the Floaters are the tire to beat at the moment IMO.

As far as width, mine measured 96 mm at the widest point on the tread blocks, so real close to 4 inches. That was at about 7 psi, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    These sure are a great price and I am really considering them for my summer riding. Love my Nates in the snow, but would like to save them for winter riding. Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires? They look like what I am looking for in a great price, I am just surprised these are less than half the price of Surly/45 North tires. Anything I should be worried about?

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    These sure are a great price and I am really considering them for my summer riding. Love my Nates in the snow, but would like to save them for winter riding. Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires? They look like what I am looking for in a great price, I am just surprised these are less than half the price of Surly/45 North tires. Anything I should be worried about?
    I remember reading somewhere that the the On One tires are made by the same company that make big name tires. Don't quote me, but Maxxis come to mind. Not that I am an expert on tire manufacturing and quality, but I think they look a good quality. Don't forget, buying direct from companies like On One means you avoid the price mark up applied by your LBS and their distributor.....hence, a cheaper cost to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    On-One tires are made by Vee Rubber.

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Damm free shipping, we never get that to New Zealand. Ordered 2 tyres $148NZD. One 120TPI HUDU would cost $150USD + Shipping for a quick comparison. These can roll like sh#$ and I wouldn't care It's going to start getting muddy in a few more months so the extra grip will be sweet.
    Went down a hilly mud road that was really wet and muddy from melting snow and spring runoff. No washout, grip was great, shed the mud no problem, on the way back up, loads of grip, no slipping. You should be pleased with the Floaters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires?
    They're good tires; there is nothing to worry about.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast