Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009

On One Floater Tire Review

Ordered 2 120 tpi folding Floaters from On-One's UK website because the price was half that of other fat bike tires and included shipping. I found it very difficult to find a review prior to my purchase, so I figured I would post one.

I was looking to replace my 27tpi beaded Nate and Larry that came on my Surly Neck Romancer, the Nate because I thought it would be awfully slow in the summer, the Larry because it tends to wash out quite easily. The few reviews I found of the Floater said it would be somewhere between the Nate and the Husker Du.

The only fat bike tires I have to compare to are the Nate/Larry combo

Initial Impressions:

Less aggressive tread than I was expecting, but still ample. Think Schwalbe Nobby Nic ish.
    Weight according to the website is just shy of 1500g, 300g less than the Nate.
    Easy to install apparently (I had the LBS install them, I was busy, plus I can pay them in beer, how awesome is my LBS?)

The Ride:

Pressure was 8 PSI rear, 7 psi front. I normally run 6-8 psi on the Nate/Larry coombo. My weight? 205lbs
    Conditions play a huge role in the review, trail was singletrack with lots of hills, and was a mix of snow, slush, ice, grass, slimy mud. The weather for my ride was +3 Celsius, cooler in the valley where I was riding and freezing rain. Hardpack snow was covered with a layer of slippery icy slush that even studded tires would have trouble with.

Right away I noticed they were much faster rolling than my previous combo, felt more supple, less bouncy.
    Traction was good considering the very slippery conditions, as I expected, not quite as grippy as the Nate, but the front didn't wash out like the Larry.
    Sheds mud quite easily, in fact, what I did notice with the Larry is when it sheds the mud and water it kicked the dirt all over the brakes, leaving them gritty, the Floater doesn't, not sure why, but it is something I noticed, and it is a good thing.
    Seems there was more float with these than the Surly combo.
    Noise on pavement is noticeable, but less than the Nate.

My climb out of the valley required a climb up a paved road that is anywhere from 12-17% grade. With the Nate it felt so sluggish, wanting/needing to granny gear. With the floaters, up with ease, 3 rings back from granny.

I paid $125 CAD for 2 tires including shipping and they arrived a week later. I think these tires will work well for my summer needs and next winter I will probably put the Nate back on the rear and leave the Floater on the front.

I will update this review as trail conditions change......

mtbr member
    Great review simon! I've been considering a pair of these as well. My local LBS has suggested the Escaltors, but they are at least twice as expensive and nowhere in stock. Might be getting some Floaters....
    Steel Fatback

Nemophilist
    Good Show!

Sounds like your conditions were perfect for an all around review. Almost everything you might imagine running into. I look forward to updates as you grow into them!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Thanks for the review. I assume these are on rolling Darryl's? What do they measure for width on those? I'm looking for a cheaper tire with better rolling for the summer on my clown shoes. Just don't want too narrow where I get rim strikes easily.

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Yup, Rolling Darryl rims, I didn't actually measure the tires, but they say they are 4.0. If you mean the width of the rims, then those are 82mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I too have purchased a set for my Mukluk 3 and am yet to ride them. Fitted they look great and on my Marge Lites they are much wider than the Endo/Larry set I had used previously. Will post a measurement later as my bike is at work.

Tread pattern looks great and tyres feel good when fitting.
    Weighed both before installing and 1400-1450g each tyre

Set mine up tubeless and will test at 8ish psi which is what the Endo/Larry was set at.

Mine cost $129 Aussie dollars with free shipping, incredible pricing when you consider Surly tyres are way more than that for one tyre.

dvn
    mtbr member
    Just ordered a set.

Quote Originally Posted by simonblaine View Post
    If you mean the width of the rims, then those are 82mm.
    Width of widest part of the tire mounted on the rim.

Dirt Huffer
    I have my fingers crossed.

Any ON ONE coupon codes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I brought my bike home last night and took some pics of the tyre sizing for anyone interested. This is size mounted to Marge Lites (65mm) and tubeless

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-010.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-011.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-013.jpg

On One Floater Tire Review-resized-mukluk-3-build-014.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    what tryes did you have on previously and what did they measure get a full bike pic on aswell we like to see
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resized Mukluk 3 Build 013.jpg 
Views:	1886 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	790034
    ]
    Dang... I wish tire companies were a little more accurate when they say 4.0" (edit: I'm guessing they will be closer to that on wider rims... duh on my part). Sweet looking tire though... tread looks very "lego"-ish Love your rim strips!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just so there is no confusion, mine is not the original post here. Just wanted to put pics showing widths for anyone interested.

Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread but thought it easier if On-One info was kept together

I originally had Endo/Larry combo and they were narrower, never measured them though.

These tyres may well be 4" on the standard On-One rims which I think are 82mm wide?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    standard on one rims are 70mm so shouldt be that much difference thanks anyway

dvn
    mtbr member
    I will have them on my Rolling Darryl's soon and will post a measurement. They should be darn close to 4" on a 82mm rim.

mtbr member
    These have not showed up in the US store yet only UK boo!

dvn
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    These have not showed up in the US store yet only UK boo!
    Just buy them from the UK store! On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI / Folding / Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Damm free shipping, we never get that to New Zealand. Ordered 2 tyres $148NZD. One 120TPI HUDU would cost $150USD + Shipping for a quick comparison. These can roll like sh#$ and I wouldn't care It's going to start getting muddy in a few more months so the extra grip will be sweet.

mtbr member
    Got mine. Thanks for the thread. Lots other cool stuff low prices no tax free ship toUS
    for $100 or more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Simon - thanks for the writeup!

I'm real happy with the Floaters that came on my Fatty, but I haven't ridden any other fat tires, so I can't write a review like yours. For the price, the Floaters are the tire to beat at the moment IMO.

As far as width, mine measured 96 mm at the widest point on the tread blocks, so real close to 4 inches. That was at about 7 psi, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    These sure are a great price and I am really considering them for my summer riding. Love my Nates in the snow, but would like to save them for winter riding. Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires? They look like what I am looking for in a great price, I am just surprised these are less than half the price of Surly/45 North tires. Anything I should be worried about?

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNOFREERIDE View Post
    These sure are a great price and I am really considering them for my summer riding. Love my Nates in the snow, but would like to save them for winter riding. Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires? They look like what I am looking for in a great price, I am just surprised these are less than half the price of Surly/45 North tires. Anything I should be worried about?
    I remember reading somewhere that the the On One tires are made by the same company that make big name tires. Don't quote me, but Maxxis come to mind. Not that I am an expert on tire manufacturing and quality, but I think they look a good quality. Don't forget, buying direct from companies like On One means you avoid the price mark up applied by your LBS and their distributor.....hence, a cheaper cost to you.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    On-One tires are made by Vee Rubber.

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Damm free shipping, we never get that to New Zealand. Ordered 2 tyres $148NZD. One 120TPI HUDU would cost $150USD + Shipping for a quick comparison. These can roll like sh#$ and I wouldn't care It's going to start getting muddy in a few more months so the extra grip will be sweet.
    Went down a hilly mud road that was really wet and muddy from melting snow and spring runoff. No washout, grip was great, shed the mud no problem, on the way back up, loads of grip, no slipping. You should be pleased with the Floaters.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Other than the fact that the Floaters are heavier than other 120 tpi tires, is there anything to worry about with these tires?
    They're good tires; there is nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, I have had two great rides on our local trails with the Floaters and I am super impressed

Yesterday I rode a loop that I had previously ridden on an S-Works 26" hardtail and a Ritchey P29er, the Mukluk with Floaters was just as quick overall and so much more fun

I found the tyres can hold incredible corner speed and found myself using a lot less brake than on any other mtb the floaters grip like nothing else and yet the rolling resistance isn't as noticeable as I would have expected.

I ran the tyres at around 6psi yesterday which for my 62ish kg was spot on.

Would highly recommend these tyres for trail riding

dvn
    mtbr member
    Got the first ride in on mine as well. Great tires. I think the Larry's I had on previously rolled slightly better but the Floaters have better grip and a noticeably better ride at the same psi. I was running 6/8 f/r for psi. I am 200 lbs and it felt perfect. I can't really imagine needing more traction than these provide.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Really happy with mine, they replaced some knards, slightly less spritely climbing but so much more grip that I feel a lot more confident descending, when I need new tires I'll be buying another set

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got mine 2 rides ago and love them. My Nate will stayin the basement for winter and I will be ordering another pair soon.

Dirt Huffer
    Homerun Shiggy. I love these tires for all around

mtbr member
    Just ordered two. Wow! Free shipping to Alaska from the UK. I had no idea. I'd been waiting for them to show up on Planet X's USA website because I thought I'd pay through the keister for shipping. Will replace a HuDu in the rear, which I loved performance-wise but sucked for durability - knobs wore out fast, bead separated from carcass, and sidewalls got so trashed from low pressures the tire falls to the floor like a rag when I lean it against a wall - all in less than 1000 mi. Front Nate is holding up better, may stick with that for awhile but I can't wait to try a Floater front and rear. Hope I like the tire as much as I looove the price (AND On One for getting an affordable fat tire to the masses.
    The older I get the better I was...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    wow, I knew they were better than the Larry and Endo, but now people are liking them more than the HUDus and Nates. What's next, someone gonna say they outgrip a Bud/Lou?
    I definitely think they are a good tire and great tread design. When you factor in price, they are awesome.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by AC/BC View Post
    Homerun Shiggy. I love these tires for all around
    Thank you. Wish I had a set, and a bike to use them on...
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What, you didn't get to keep a Fatty?

Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    What, you didn't get to keep a Fatty?
    Nope. I wanted to keep the prototype. No-go. Not a sellable frame, but it was the bike I designed and wanted.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I guess they destroyed it.

one question: did the head tube angle get slackened all the way to 68 degrees to keep up with current trends, or because it handles better than the steeper angles?

mtbr member
    people are liking them more than the HUDus and Nates.
    Whoa... Did I say that? Haven't got mine yet. What I love is the price. HuDu is a great, but expensive and short-lived performer. Nate is a winner, too. Bud and Lou? One can dream, no? If the Floater performs half as good as Nate or HuDu, I'll be happy. If it's as good..., schaaawing!

I guess they destroyed it.

one question: did the head tube angle get slackened all the way to 68 degrees to keep up with current trends, or because it handles better than the steeper angles?
    I doubt it was destroyed. Likely sitting in a box.

You need to ask Brant about the geometry changes. He was talking about making it slacker even before the first protos were ridden. The steeper HTA handled very well for me. Stable and agile.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I shall ask Brant. I just thought he would be reluctant to admit to the former if that was the case. If he was talking about doing it from the start though, that must be what he favors in general.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Thank you. Wish I had a set, and a bike to use them on...
    On One isn't sending you a production Fatty at least????
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    On One isn't sending you a production Fatty at least????
    I have no interest in the production frame.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I shall ask Brant. I just thought he would be reluctant to admit to the former if that was the case. If he was talking about doing it from the start though, that must be what he favors in general.

Brant isn't shy about building bikes with slack front ends...I've owned both the SummerSeason and the Ragley MMMBop.

Back on topic...I grabbed a set of the Floaters for my Pug and a couple rides in I'm completely impressed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Shiggy, was the basic bike mostly your design then, and Brant just tweaked the geometry?

nothing to see here
    more importantly, what was the HA & fork offset on the proto?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Shiggy, was the basic bike mostly your design then, and Brant just tweaked the geometry?
    Yes, and some mods to pass the euro test standards.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    more importantly, what was the HA & fork offset on the proto?
    71* HTA, 45mm offset. Less trail than the production bike.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Well, I received my Floater today, and here are some initial impressions:

*the tyre weighed in at 1515 g, which was a little more than I had hoped.

*there is a noticeable lateral wobble on the tyre, although it should sit properly on the rim. It has no effect to riding though, at least I have not noticed.

*the knobs looked like the tyre would roll like Nate on hard surfaces, i.e. not at all, but I was wrong It felt surprisingly smooth and rolled much better than Nate. I tried 10 PSI, felt bouncy, dropped to 8, was good.

*the tyre looked larger than my skinny Larry. I thought that it's because of the bigger knobs, but I measured the tyre heights from floor to rim, and Floater was approximately 5 mm taller than Larry. The width seemed to be roughly same in both tyres.

*I rode some singletrack also which was muddly here and there, but did not notice anything special. I guess it works just fine

Worth 60 euros, I think

mtbr member
    Received my Floaters yesterday and mounted them. Here are my initial impressions:

- Tires are out of round. Not un-rideable, but significant enough to notice
    - Pavement rolling is smoother than expected (same observation as kyttyra)
    - Traction is much better than my HDu. I was much more confident on my single track ride last night.
    - Not as much self steer as the HDu
    - Easy to mount

Definitely worth $65
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    when I first put my Fatty together the Floaters seemed to be out of round. at first, it wasn't seating right and had a low spot, but even once seated it had a little bit of a high spot, and some lateral movement, or twisting motion, but after riding them and keeping the pressure high(20-30psi) for a few weeks, only letting some air out to ride, then filling them again, they became perfectly round eventually.

mtbr member
    when I first put my Fatty together the Floaters seemed to be out of round. at first, it wasn't seating right and had a low spot, but even once seated it had a little bit of a high spot, and some lateral movement, or twisting motion, but after riding them and keeping the pressure high(20-30psi) for a few weeks, only letting some air out to ride, then filling them again, they became perfectly round eventually.
    Good to know. I thought that might be the case, but I just got them so I wasn't certain.
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Mine appeared to be out of round when I first mounted them. The beads weren't seated all the way around, though. Dish detergent on the beads helped, as did airing up to 30 psi or so.

IMO, its not the Floater tire that's the issue but the On-One Fatty rim. I think that the very narrow bead shelf with a near vertical transition to the well in the center of the rim cause the difficulty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Mine appeared to be out of round when I first mounted them. The beads weren't seated all the way around, though. Dish detergent on the beads helped, as did airing up to 30 psi or so.

IMO, its not the Floater tire that's the issue but the On-One Fatty rim. I think that the very narrow bead shelf with a near vertical transition to the well in the center of the rim cause the difficulty.
    agreed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: On One Floater Tire Review

hard to seat BFL on the on one just kept popping off with liquid and wouldnt seat without

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

dvn
    mtbr member
    After a couple more rides on the Floaters, I'm not really digging it as a front tire. At least not on hardpack. Should be great on snow. It seems to have almost too much traction on the front. Rolling resistance seems higher and it wants to follow every variation in the trail. I threw the Larry back on and it rolls better and is much more controllable and predictable. I'm keeping the Floater on the back because the traction is impressive.

nothing to see here
    Just wondering out loud whether anyone has considered some sort of rubber glue to help these tyres stay seated on the OnOne rims. Or any rim for that matter.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member

Floater "review": Limited, subjective, and non-technical

Bottomline: a good quality tire and a helluva a deal

Mounted two Floaters to uma II 70mm rims without a lick of a problem. Beads popped in audibly at 30-32 psi without soapy water or any other lubricant. Both tires seated without a hop, skip, or wobble. Dropped the pressure to 20psi and rode a 19 mile loop on gravel and rough pavement. Snow is too soft and rotten to ride at the moment. I'm impressed. No discernible self steering issues nor any increase in rolling resistance from the front Nate/rear Hudu combo I've been running almost exclusively since last summer and all through the winter. Noticeably less rolling resistance than the reversed rear Endo I've been running for the last three weeks, since the bead separated on the Hudu.

Consistent with the greater advertised weight, the Floaters felt slightly heavier than all three of the above mentioned 120 tpi tires. I did not and will not weigh any of them. It's a fatbike, after all, and I ride for fitness, fun, and recreation. Ride quality/acceleration did not seem to be affected by the extra weight. The Floaters had a nice, resilient ride even at 20 psi, which is higher pressure than I usually ride, even for the road. The other tires rode harsher at the same pressure. My single experience with a 27 tpi Larry found it much harsher and made me swear off 27 tpi fat tires forever. The profile of Floater mounted to 70mm rims is much more rounded even than Nate, Larry and HuDu. It would probably square off nicely on a wider rim and might even approach the stated 4 in. width. Width on the 70s seems comparable to other 3.7, 3.8 tires. The tire profile of the Floater is probably what accounts for what I would call livelier, more precise steering (for a fatbike) on firm surfaces than my previous tires. Traction should be ample, but I can't say my road ride really tested that. I will need to ride it more to say it's a better trail tire than the others, but I suspect it will be.

But will the Floater float? Snowbiking is over for the season, but beachriding season is just beginning. I'll drop the pressure to 6-8 psi and give it a proper test in the coming days and post an update. It's been my experience that tires with rounded profiles don't do as well in the sand as the squared off and now discontinued endo. The Floater (on my rims at least) is the most rounded of the bunch.

Finally, a shout out to On One. My order was placed two weeks ago and shipped within two business days. Free shipping from UK to AK took just 10 days. Hard to beat that. I'll be ordering from them again for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Just wondering out loud whether anyone has considered some sort of rubber glue to help these tyres stay seated on the OnOne rims. Or any rim for that matter.
    No need for glue. Use an inner tube.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There was a guy who used some industrial grade rubber adhesive to glue his tire to a split tube (ghetto tubeless style rim strip) to kinda create a fat tubular. He had a picture of it off of the rim, still intact so he was able to swap tires. I don't remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else, though.

No need for glue. Use an inner tube.
    There are a lot of thorns where I ride, so tubeless with sealant solves that problem. And I pinch flatted one of the heavy On-One OEM tubes as well. If tubes work for you, great! They don't work for me....

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    There was a guy who used some industrial grade rubber adhesive to glue his tire to a split tube (ghetto tubeless style rim strip) to kinda create a fat tubular. He had a picture of it off of the rim, still intact so he was able to swap tires. I don't remember if it was on this forum or somewhere else, though.

There are a lot of thorns where I ride, so tubeless with sealant solves that problem. And I pinch flatted one of the heavy On-One OEM tubes as well. If tubes work for you, great! They don't work for me....
    Inner tubes with sealant.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: On One Floater Tire Review

yeh i got a puncture added stans pumped up and hey no leak done 70 miles on it now still same pressure nice

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    This design is what we need instead of all this tubeless faff.

Fleuss Tubeless tyre (abt 1897)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member

Floater review update: It floats!

I'm really liking these tires (mounted front and rear). 20 miles on soft to packed sand and fresh, unconsolidated snow (yes, snowing again here this week ). At least as good on these surfaces as Nate, HuDu, and skinny Larry with 6-8psi. Up front it seemed to wash out less as well. The bike just seemed sure-footed and when the rear started to slip in the soft stuff, I was able to get it to hook up again with subtle weight shifts. A small amount of self steer up front at 6psi on pavement and firm surfaces, but I'll be riding higher pressure than that for summer trail riding. No self steer at 12 to 20psi. Sidewalls seem as beefy as Surly's offerings and beefier than my HuDu. Hopefully it will wear better, but not so concerned at $65. Tires don't seem to be creeping on the rim after 20 miles at low pressure. Only downside that I see is the extra 100-250 grams of weight, but I can live with that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just mounted my Floaters on my Rolling Darryls. They went on easy and look pretty good mounted. I'll try to get them out for a ride this weekend. They seem like a great tire and at their price, I think they are a steal. We'll see what I think when I'm on the trail.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

I'm now ready to add my $0.02. Nearing 10psi for summer use, on drilled RDs and with Q-tubes Extremes. First off, they seated just shy of 40psi with a nice reassuring pop, which I like. A ride last week in the extreme wet at a place that is like a slick rock/root house of horrors (Wahoo!), I was impressed. I was the only rider that did not go down (most of them multiple times), and no one could match my pace under these conditions (Fat Roolz!).

After some other shorter rides, yesterday I put in about 15 hard miles on everything from pretty extreme black diamond stuff (half the group walked a lot of it), wet log-overs and ramps, mucky, rocky, rooty & rough at a crawl, fast rolling 15-20mph single track, creek bed crawling, and some hard pack dirt road stuff. Factoring in cost, weight, roll, traction, and overall feel and performance, I'm ready to proclaim the Floater the best all-around fatbike tire available. I would have previously given that nod to the HuDu (potential rapid wear notwithstanding). A bit less suppleness (you can't beat the trail feel of a 120tpi HuDu) and roll with the Floater, but with a touch more grip in extreme conditions and probably better toughness for shrugging off abrasions and punctures. I also noticed zero self steer now that I think about it. The performance of the Floater relative to the best aspects of the HuDu was not far off. Factor in that they are half the price, and AVAILABLE, and I think the Floater is a winner.

I bet they work pretty well in snow too. If it were below freezing here, we'd have 10-15' of it!!

EDIT; After a bath to remove all the muck, the sidewalls (mostly the rear) have already started to show threads. Kind of surprising. It took far longer on the HuDus. Shiggy says not to worry, so I'll try as hard as I can...
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 07-07-2013 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Update
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

PRETENDURO
    Had a chance to test out the On-One Floater on the rear of my 9:zero:7 today on a variety of terrain conditions: loose, hardpack, steep (up and down), technical, rooty, rocky.

Loose downhill braking: total confidence (the same as a Surly Nate) as if I were sticking a spade or shovel into the ground

Loose uphill climbing: total confidence (the same as a Surly Nate)

Rocky/technical descents: Ill need a few more rides, as the place I rode today Id never ridden before, and it was a bit beyond my technical proficiency (everyone else there on the ride was running suspension of some sort)

Hardpack: in general, worked great, and braking on washboarded sections seemed confident
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    OK, this thread has pretty much convinced me to stop wrestling with Nate vs Hu Du... It looks like Floaters front & back... Now I need to work out the new set of wheels (currently running Black Floyds on Large Marges and LOVE them for street & hardpack and am looking for a "trail set" that is a departure from the BFs). I have a Pugs with a Moonlander Fork. Will be getting Marge for rear and the only question I have for the group is about the front rim choice. The Moonie fork has the room to allow a Rolling Darryl, but for a front tire, it would seem that I want more of the round shape created by the 65mm rim as opposed to flatter/more square effect of the 80mm.

Question: Has anyone mounted a Floater on a Marge & a Darryl to notice the shape/width?
    Thanks in advance for any input.
    This forum ROCKS!

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    I have a Neckromancer Pug with the 80mm Darryl's, makes a bigger surface area than the regular old 60mm and the difference was noticed when on the trails with a friend that had the 60mm. I found I had more float and more traction, came in handy in the snow.....

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Are you still able to run three gear rings on the front crank with the 80mm Darryl on the rear? I don't want to lose a gear, but my real question is about the shape of the front tire with a Marge vs a Darryl and does it still steer as well with a less rounded shape.
    Thanks for getting back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    are we still stoked on these tires? I may pick up a set as a more aggressive alternative to the weakish endo/larry combo on my pugs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, I've been running floaters for about 1000km no probs, On One have 15% off ATM on tyres bought another set for roughly 110 us delivered to Oz.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by saron View Post
    Hi, I've been running floaters for about 1000km no probs, On One have 15% off ATM on tyres bought another set for roughly 110 us delivered to Oz.
    Cheers
    Is there a code for the 15% off?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saron View Post
    Cheers
    Price is hard to beat!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Is there a code for the 15% off?
    Yeah where?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Are you still able to run three gear rings on the front crank with the 80mm Darryl on the rear?

I am running the Large Marge XC (solid rims machined to reduce weight) 65mm.
    You will lose a gear if you go to the RD on the back. Some folks recommend the larger rim in the front only. My Pugs has a Moonie fork, so if/when I get a second set of wheels... that might be a possibility.

mtbr member
    UKTYRE15 is the code
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by emp? View Post
    UKTYRE15 is the code
    Thanks
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Damn, it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    Damn, it's gone.
    Must have expired at midnight UK time. Was accepted this morning.
    mtbtires.com

Gotta pay to play
    Anyone gone from a Big Fat Larry to a Floater?

Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Anyone gone from a Big Fat Larry to a Floater?
    What do you want to know?
    mtbtires.com

Gotta pay to play
    I've got a BFL up front on a Marge Lite and a 29er Ardent on a Blut 35 rim in the rear. I'm using the fat front for cornering purposes. It's got about 6 months of tread left and I'm just weighing my options. I do So Cal riding- so hard pack, sand over hard pack, and patches of deep sand. Not too concerned with rolling resistance, just want to have confidence in the turns.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    I've got a BFL up front on a Marge Lite and a 29er Ardent on a Blut 35 rim in the rear. I'm using the fat front for cornering purposes. It's got about 6 months of tread left and I'm just weighing my options. I do So Cal riding- so hard pack, sand over hard pack, and patches of deep sand. Not too concerned with rolling resistance, just want to have confidence in the turns.
    The Floater has much more grip as a trail tire.
    mtbtires.com

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    Since I started this thread I have put over 700 km on my floaters. They served me well in the summer, performed admirably in the dry, wet, steep uphills and downhills. I stand by my initial review, the ride is supple, grip is fantastic, and they roll loud......on pavement you can here my Necromancer coming from quite a distance.

The tires are showing a bit of wear now, but the grip is still admirable. It snowed 2 weeks ago, riding these things in up to 6 inches of snow, in soft snow, crusty snow, up and down snow covered hills, they still bite...not like a set of new ones, but still impressive.

I have just removed my rear Floater and put on the Nate that originally came with my Necromancer, but only because, as originally stated in my initial review, the grip on the Nate is better in the winter. Not miles better, but better, and when the snow is deep and the hills are steep, any extra traction you have is a bonus. If I didn't already have the Nate in my basement, I would ride the Floaters thru the winter with no issue.

I am leaving the one Floater on the front however, the Larry that came with the bike is terrible in the snow, the extra grip on the front from the Floater is a welcome change.

I will buy another set, and I encourage you to do the same. $60 each, fantastic grip, pretty good rolling resistance, supple, all around great tire.

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    I agree with Shiggy, comparing the Larry (can't comment on the BFL, but the Larry and BFL have the same tread so I assume they run the same ish) to the Floater is an easy win for the Floater. I swapped my Larry out for the Floater because of the poor cornering traction on the Larry, and I couldn't be happier with the Floater. I found I had much more confidence in the corners and it sill rolled fairly well.

I even put the Larry on the back mid summer to check it outt as a rear tire.....after 2 rides and I went back to front and rear Floater combo.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Echoing, the Floater is grippy, supple enough to roll much better than a turd, and is cheap relatively speaking.

A fine tire. I set my brother up with a cheapo fat front using an old 26er, a Karate Monkey frame, and a Floater in the front. He doesn't complain of it.

This is like the least confusing fat purchase to make in my opinion.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I order a set over 2 weeks ago- thay sat on the order for a week before shipping it, and then both tracking numbers they sent when it was finally shipped link to something in Belgian. No response from On-One customer service to my inquiry. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out ugly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hi, I ordered mine 4 weeks ago. They arrived yesterday.
    When I tracked order it was in Dutch. Tried logging on with another
    Laptop instead of iPad and the TNT website showed me the tracking
    in English. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Looks like these are the best deal one can get on what looks to be an awesome tire.

Surprised On-One didn't jack up the price and fall in line with the competition.

Kudos to the Britt's!
    DB Overdrive Pro (MTB)
    TREK 2.3c (Road)
    MASI Custom (Coffee Bike )
    Mercier (Gravel Bike)

Sycamore Area Cycling

Loser
    I had my second ride on the floaters today on wet leaves, I have then set up tubeless, they worked great, super traction supple ride and very little self steer. I don't have a lot of fat bike experience, but these tires seem to work great.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I had my second ride on the floaters today on wet leaves, I have then set up tubeless, they worked great, super traction supple ride and very little self steer. I don't have a lot of fat bike experience, but these tires seem to work great.

Dude! We have the same bike. Any chance of a photo of the front rim with the floater?
    DB Overdrive Pro (MTB)
    TREK 2.3c (Road)
    Mercier (Gravel Bike)

Sycamore Area Cycling

Loser
    I can take one in the morning

Loser
    Here's the Floater on my FB-4:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I can take one in the morning

Thanks for the photos.

I wanted to give the stock tires (Vee's) a chance. Their OK, however, after today's ride (frozen then thawed single track) I don't think they'll workout.

The tread on the floaters, looks much more aggressive and substantial compared to the V Mission. Per your photo, the Floaters seem to spread out nicely on that 100 mm front rim without becoming too squared off. The On-One website states up to 90 mm rim.

But to my untrained eye, it seems really good.
    DB Overdrive Pro (MTB)
    TREK 2.3c (Road)
    Mercier (Gravel Bike)

Sycamore Area Cycling

mtbr member
    3 rides on the floaters so far- first ride was dry and warm. second ride was wet and muddy, today's ride was frozen solid, no snow.

So far, they're supple for sure, or at least, a lot better than the 27 tpi tires they replaced, and they're very predictable. The go where I point them, they don't wash out and they're pretty grippy.

THe thing I was most impressed with was that I initially set them up with really high tire pressure (to set the bead) and decided to ride them that way for my first lap of the trail. They rode smoother at a high pressure than the 27tpi nate/larry combo did at lower pressures.

They feel slow as hell on crushed gravel and pavement, though according to my computer, they aren't.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    3 rides on the floaters so far- first ride was dry and warm. second ride was wet and muddy, today's ride was frozen solid, no snow.

So far, they're supple for sure, or at least, a lot better than the 27 tpi tires they replaced, and they're very predictable. The go where I point them, they don't wash out and they're pretty grippy.

THe thing I was most impressed with was that I initially set them up with really high tire pressure (to set the bead) and decided to ride them that way for my first lap of the trail. They rode smoother at a high pressure than the 27tpi nate/larry combo did at lower pressures.

They feel slow as hell on crushed gravel and pavement, though according to my computer, they aren't.
    That was my impression of the Vee Tire Sterling as well. (Fatback branded, and the Floater is also Vee Tire made) I set my Sterlings up at 20psi and haven't veered much lower than that since. They feel as good as a Larry at 7-10 psi. I wonder if the self-steer complaints on some Vee tires is because folks are treating the air pressures like they would with Surly tires. maybe Vee made tires of 120TPI need a higher psi to work well. It's interesting to me that you found a similar trait as I did.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, for trail riding with no snow I liked around 20psi in the floaters, any less and it felt like crap trying to pedal and accelerate (well, at least significantly more than usual). No self-steer, just good traction on a rigid bike.

For riding on snow, you need about half that much PSI. I'm getting the extreme far left and right side-knobs contacting the ground with the tire deformation. It's good in snow and making a very nice footprint. If you're only seeing the first row of side-knobs on packed snow/surface, lower the pressure until you can see the 2nd set. Much better results and ride IME.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'd like to leave a Floater ride review here but getting tires from the UK has been a hassle for me. I placed the order on the morning of 11/21/13 and after two follow up emails, I finally got a tracking number this morning. The message included a disclaimer about allowing up to 16 days for shipping. That much I expected, I didn't expect the six(four business) day lag from order placement to shipment.

Loser
    I didn't realize that On-One only suggested up to 90mm rim, I like the way it looks (i.e. rounded) and rides. Per some of the below, I'm going to try riding with a bit more pressure today.

Lord Thunderbottom
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    That was my impression of the Vee Tire Sterling as well. (Fatback branded, and the Floater is also Vee Tire made) I set my Sterlings up at 20psi and haven't veered much lower than that since. They feel as good as a Larry at 7-10 psi. I wonder if the self-steer complaints on some Vee tires is because folks are treating the air pressures like they would with Surly tires. maybe Vee made tires of 120TPI need a higher psi to work well. It's interesting to me that you found a similar trait as I did.
    I've been noticing this as well with my sterlings, I've been running around 10psi and I really don't think I need to be that low, they seem to be very plush near 20PSI as well, there is also some self steer at 10psi on road anyways
    Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can do what others can't

WNC Native
    Hrmm, I may try a little more air in my new Floater on the next ride and see what I think then. Only 2 rides so far, but I'm liking it over the HuDu it replaced (both ran at 10.5psi)
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast