Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So you must buy the On-one tires from the UK website at this time?

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Try emailing the US Planet-X store. That is how I was able to order mine. I wanted 4 and their web store would only let me order 1.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Wrong thread reference.

mtbr member
    Hi guys, couple of questions about these:

1. How would these compare to the Panaracer Fat B Nimbles? I am in Philadelphia and I ride single and double track, trail and gravel. I would rarely ride snow or sand.

2. Is there any way to get these in the US without shipping for $70 from the UK?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by soarftb; 06-11-2015 at 04:04 AM.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2015 Motobecane Grand Record
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by soarftb View Post
    Hi guys, couple of questions about these:

1. How would these compare to the Panaracer Fat B Nimbles? I am in Philadelphia and I ride single and double track, trail and gravel. I would rarely ride snow or sand.

2. Is there any way to get these in the US without shipping for $70 from the UK?

Thanks in advance.
    4 posts ago someone suggested planet-x. It's the US store for On-one.

They are heavier with more aggressive tread than the FBN.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    4 posts ago someone suggested planet-x. It's the US store for On-one.
    Placing the Floaters in your cart in the Planet X US site attaches the same $70 delivery fee as the UK site. I was wondering if there was any update on US stock.

Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    They are heavier with more aggressive tread than the FBN.
    Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I was looking at the on one carbon fork - i was able to add the fork and then a total of 8 tires at the $80 shipping - if you can get a few locals to do a group buy that is probably the only way to mitigate the shipping cost, which is quite high.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    I was looking at the on one carbon fork - i was able to add the fork and then a total of 8 tires at the $80 shipping - if you can get a few locals to do a group buy that is probably the only way to mitigate the shipping cost, which is quite high.
    Right Paul. I noticed the shipping was the same for 1 or 10 tires. If I get the energy to do it or if someone else wants to organize a group buy let me know. Thanks.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I placed an order through the us store a couple weeks ago, and it seems a lot (most) of their stuff is shipping from gb. Mine was a bunch of small stuff, so shipping was low. Idk if they are pulling back from keeping stuff in the us or... Sucks though; for a while, everything shipped free in the us.

mtbr member
    I think they are in the process of relocating their Oregon store to elsewhere in the US which is why their US inventory is offline. At least that is what someone said earlier in the thread.
    2015 Kona Taro
    2014 Scott Scale 960
    2015 Trek FX 7.3

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Was looking to try and pick up a pair of the floaters...still showing $67.00 shipping....can't do that. As as been previously stated, for $175.00 there are lots of other options. I'll try and call them on Monday and see if they can do something...otherwise, maybe I'll get Husker Du's. I need a good front tire for single track.

Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Just got an email from Vince at Planet-X. Floaters arrived in Oregon from UK. Shipping out 2 120tpi Orange floaters for my Kids Boris!
    2016 Motobecane Sturgis Bullet Ti
    2015 Specialized FatBoy 24"
    2016 Motobecane Boris X5
    1988 Peugeot Orient Express

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

On One Floater Tire Review-tirebeadproblem.jpg

Got my On-One Fatty Trail a few days ago (living in Sweden/Europe), and it was shipped with the tires - Floaters 4.0 - not properly seated. It's On-One's own "Emmentaler" rim. The rear tire was even worse than the front which is on the picture, but I had already started to work on the rear when I took the picture.

Dedicated tire lube and 30 psi didn't get it into place. Soapy water worked better than the professional stuff, but it didn't get fully in place still. I mailed On-One and asked which pressure I could use to try to pop the tires in place, and they said I could increase the pressure step by step up to 80 psi. When I said using that kind of pressure was completely unreasonable, they changed it to 60 psi...

I put 35 psi in them and left them over night, and it seems to have helped some, but they are still not completely seated. If it turns out I have to go even higher, I will use adequate protective gear for sure before trying to inflate them into place. I'm actually scared of such big tires and these kind of pressures.

I hope it's the tires that are a bit undersized, and not the rims that are slightly big.

Other than them being hard to fit on these rims, I'm very, very impressed with the grip. That pattern bites down hard in the ground. I can't ask for a better tire for the riding I'm doing now - mixed wet and muddy, soft soil and rocky trails. Grips good in the little snow that's on the ground as well.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I had the same issues with on one tires and rims, it got worse over time. It also seems to be a tube issue, once you get a tube and a little bit of pressure in there, there's no force in the world that can straighten the tire out, but I've run the same tires tubeless and they magically pop into place. The actual issue with the rims that I had was that they were loose, the tire wouldn't be straight because the rim was loose, but add any air at all and you couldn't straighten them out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With tube it's hard to get the tyre to pop into place correctly. Solution for me was ghetto tubeless with 20" or 24" DH inner tube split in half. With that I could get the 4" Floater to get onto the rim correctly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by reappear View Post
    With tube it's hard to get the tyre to pop into place correctly. Solution for me was ghetto tubeless with 20" or 24" DH inner tube split in half. With that I could get the 4" Floater to get onto the rim correctly.
    It got into place more easily, even with the added thickness of the tube in between the tire bead and the rim? I had planned a tubeless setup, but thought it would be impossible with a tight bead like this.

I have just got the tires mounted properly at least, I hope. Lubed them up with soapy water and inflated with a compressor. First I inflated slowly to be sure they seated correctly - one side actually climbed over the rim at 10-15 psi, so I had to deflate and center it again. It's hard to center a tire when it's so much too small, it's always completely off somewhere. When I had got up to 20 psi and the tire stayed on and didn't look any more off center than when I started, I increased the pressure steadily and could see the tire slowly move outward at the low place. I didn't get any satisfactory pop, but it stopped moving at 40 psi, and I inflated a little bit more, to 45. The molded little thin line is now visible all around the edge of the rim. It's not perfectly parallel with the rim edge, but at least it's a little outside all around. I will leave the tires over night at this pressure, and hopefully they can be seated with a lower pressure next time.

By the way, On-One said in an email reply that the Floaters should be run at a minimum of 12 psi, not 8. I'm guessing it's because of a potential problem with the bead not staying seated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Naugas View Post
    It got into place more easily, even with the added thickness of the tube in between the tire bead and the rim? I had planned a tubeless setup, but thought it would be impossible with a tight bead like this.
    Yeah, that's how it worked for me, and then I could run less than 8 psi easily. It stays much better when done with ghetto tubeless.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to give my perspective after 2.5 seasons with these.

Pros: Much better than vee rubber missions and other low end fat tires. Didn't notice as much self-steer, although it is there at lower pressures. Great all around tire. Works well on singletrack and gravel. Decent in snow. Relatively inexpensive. My green tires are always the talk of the town.

Cons: There is only real 1 con that matters to me. On a 70mm rim at low pressure, this tire will slide out and drop you when you lean into it. It is very difficult to corner in the snow for this reason. This probably isn't as big of a problem if they are on narrower rims, where the side knobs are actually on the side. But on a 70mm rim, the side nobs are just barely angled off the top. Thus, if it is slippery, my rear end wanders. In the snow, I am constantly fighting a battle between float and traction. Normally dropping pressure will increase your traction. With these, dropping your pressure on a 70mm rim means that bare sidewall will be hitting the snow.

Overall though, considering I bought these when they were on supersale, I cannot complaint too much. There are a good "all around" tire. Adequate, but not ideal for the snow.

[Edit: My bad, I typed 70mm instead of 80..I've got Rolling Darryls]
    Last edited by skankingbiker; 01-08-2016 at 03:21 PM.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Naugas View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tirebeadproblem.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	1024887...
    I hadn't seen your post before. I'm looking at what looks like a curved spoke and an angle between where the spoke is coming from vs. the angle of the nipple. I'm thinking that wheel build really needs different nipples.

On One Floater Tire Review-polyax.png
    Crazy on this ship of fools...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker View Post
    Cons: There is only real 1 con that matters to me. On a 70mm rim at low pressure, this tire will slide out and drop you when you lean into it. It is very difficult to corner in the snow for this reason.
    Mainly I think that's just the nature of non-studded fat tires in snow. You can't really lean into them at all, they just slide out. With studded fat tires, you can't lean them hard on snow, but you can at least lean them a little and ride them a bit like summer tires, which seems to be many times more than what you can get away with when you have non-studded tires.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Chris Bling
    Has anyone else seen this deal?

$27.50 for the 120 tpi version? It has the weight listed at 1800 grams. Is that a typo?

On-One Floater Fat Tyre | Planet X
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My 120tpi Floaters weight about 1460g but are couple years old.

Still $75 for shipping?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2016 Norco Sasquatch 6.1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    My 120tpi Floaters weight about 1460g but are couple years old.

Still $75 for shipping?
    Na, only $69.99

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    125 shipped for the pair seems pretty decent, no??
    Just enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Pulled the trigger on that deal a couple weeks ago -- tires (tyres!) arrived about a week ago. At least $70 gets you quickish shipping. Snow here is 2-3 inches deep and hard as a rock and the Floaters at 9 psi stick like glue. Shocking improvement over the 60tpi Vee Missions I had been using. Off-camber stuff I used to wash out on instantly the Floaters completely carve, and braking is excellent as well. No spinouts on climbs either. Nice set of meats.

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Has anyone else seen this deal?

$27.50 for the 120 tpi version? It has the weight listed at 1800 grams. Is that a typo?

On-One Floater Fat Tyre | Planet X
    $35 now with a option for $12 shipping.

Best deal around for a good rolling grippy 4.0 IMO.
    Mine were about 1400g, the colored ones are 1800g
    The wheel is a extension of the foot

mtbr member
    their shipping calculator is still out of whack.

They charge more to ship 2 tires than to ship 12.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6 with Lauf
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

Is dang happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    their shipping calculator is still out of whack.

They charge more to ship 2 tires than to ship 12.
    Yes but $12 shipping per tire is is big improvement from $70 and at just $35 per tire right now I have no complaints.

This tire rolls so much faster than my surly Bud and has plenty of grip for a rear four season tire. In deeper snow a bit larger tire will float better but I fave found them to work great on both snow and hardpack singletrack.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Doom View Post
    Yes but $12 shipping per tire is is big improvement from $70 and at just $35 per tire right now I have no complaints.

This tire rolls so much faster than my surly Bud and has plenty of grip for a rear four season tire. In deeper snow a bit larger tire will float better but I fave found them to work great on both snow and hardpack singletrack.

Agreed, good tire all around. Price is real nice when a few years ago and still now some are going for $300 a pair. Crazy that the black ones are even cheaper than the colors with the lighter weight.

mtbr member

I get $74 shipping to Canada for a pair, $52 for a dozen.

As for the tire itself, i liked it a lot on my old bike (KHS 3000), no complaints at all
    Last edited by Swerny; 02-11-2016 at 06:15 PM.

Is dang happy!
    Saw a 25% off coupon code in the best deals forum. PXLIQUID25
    Got a new Chunky Monkey for the 29er and a fresh Floater for the Fatty with chump change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Saw a 25% off coupon code in the best deals forum. PXLIQUID25
    Got a new Chunky Monkey for the 29er and a fresh Floater for the Fatty with chump change.
    On One now has the Floaters for 35% off using code pxliquid35, making the tires just $36 shipped!

Their shipping is still wacky so be sure you just buy one at a time: the cost to ship 1 tire is $13, the cost to ship 2 or more tires is $70.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jnroyal View Post
    On One now has the Floaters for 35% off using code pxliquid35, making the tires just $36 shipped!

Their shipping is still wacky so be sure you just buy one at a time: the cost to ship 1 tire is $13, the cost to ship 2 or more tires is $70.
    I decided to jump on this deal, 4 tires shipped for 119.00. Seemed like a good deal

BTW, shipping was 29.99 for two so I decided to throw in another two and it was the same price. I have never ordered from over seas so hope all goes well.
    Just enjoy the ride...

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by rob5589 View Post
    I decided to jump on this deal, 4 tires shipped for 119.00. Seemed like a good deal

BTW, shipping was 29.99 for two so I decided to throw in another two and it was the same price. I have never ordered from over seas so hope all goes well.
    Oh man, and I thought my 4 for 132 was a good deal, under 120 is ridiculously good. I'm very happy with these tires, and they were at my doorstep in 2 days.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    2 days?! Damn, I was expecting at least 10.
    Just enjoy the ride...

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by rob5589 View Post
    2 days?! Damn, I was expecting at least 10.
    It was shipped DHL. It helps that JFK intl airport is 30 miles away from me, and that's where like 90% of my overseas orders arrive through.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    They arrived today, 7 days, certainly not bad from the UK. I weighed them just because; 1320, 1333, 1359, 1380. Not a horrible variation.
    Last edited by rob5589; 02-26-2016 at 11:25 AM.
    Just enjoy the ride...

Land of the 230+
    Nice. Much more consistent thank mine, but it took longer to arrive. Sorry to get your hopes up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    Nice. Much more consistent thank mine, but it took longer to arrive. Sorry to get your hopes up.
    No worries man, I was thinking 10 days or more.
    Just enjoy the ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Sure wish these were available in the US...$54 shipping from GB is a little salty.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123