Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    That was my impression of the Vee Tire Sterling as well. (Fatback branded, and the Floater is also Vee Tire made) I set my Sterlings up at 20psi and haven't veered much lower than that since. They feel as good as a Larry at 7-10 psi. I wonder if the self-steer complaints on some Vee tires is because folks are treating the air pressures like they would with Surly tires. maybe Vee made tires of 120TPI need a higher psi to work well. It's interesting to me that you found a similar trait as I did.
    Mm - I will have to go back and try this with my Vee 8 tires. Fair suggestion, thank you.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Loser
    I set my Floaters to 10PSI for today's ride on rocky, rooty goodness. In my opinion that's too much air, it was harsh, I let a little out and it was better (not sure where I ended up), but I think 8.5psi might be a good spot for me. More investigation on the way.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Well, they finally showed up yesterday. 1550g for one, 1525g for the other. Mounted and aired up easily, with a nice, satisfying bead pop at 20 psi. I aired them down to 9 front, 10 rear and went for a ride this morning with light fresh snow over tons of leaves and sticks, and I have to say I am impressed. Great traction, roll very well and are surprisingly cushy. Worth the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    I order a set over 2 weeks ago- they sat on the order for a week before shipping it, and then both tracking numbers they sent when it was finally shipped link to something in Belgian. No response from On-One customer service to my inquiry. I'm hoping this doesn't turn out ugly.

Nemophilist
    Update;

I wanted to chime in and update after finally getting mine out in some wintery weather. Everything I said before still stands. I still think these are the best all around tire in my experience. Weird ride. We started late last week with 2-3" of snow, followed by sleet, freezing rain, rain, freezing sleet, sleety frost, icy snow... did I miss any? Then it got really cold with a couple more inches of snow. The trails were snow covered, frosted, bare, frozen solid, glare icy, rim deep muddy, standing/running water down the trail... a real borgasshmord. Everything you could get other than deep snow. Add the usual rocks, roots, and about 2-3" thick of decaying leaves. What awaits 'round yonder bend?

THESE TIRES WORK!
    Last edited by TrailMaker; 11-30-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Do you guys reverse the rear tyre or put both according to the direction arrow?
    I will soon, minutes, start mounting mine tubeless and would like to get it right first time. What does the designer say?
    I run HuDus now and expect more grip regardless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I put my rear tire on backwards by mistake, and was too lazy to change it. It works great and has huge grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I put my rear tire on backwards by mistake, and was too lazy to change it. It works great and has huge grip.
    Ditto

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    It's so similar in either direction, I don't think it particularly matters for this one.
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

On One Floater Tire Review

Quote Originally Posted by edicviz View Post
    Do you guys reverse the rear tyre or put both according to the direction arrow?
    I will soon, minutes, start mounting mine tubeless and would like to get it right first time. What does the designer say?
    I run HuDus now and expect more grip regardless.
    I designed the tread with multiple working edges for drive, control and cornering grip on a variety of surfaces, hard and soft. In theory, this should also give the lower roll resistance advantage of a ramped knob while increasing traction in some conditions.

Reversing it makes it more soft/loose (trail) specific. Reversed may dig in too much on sand and snow.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Thanks, I put them both in standard direction. I will try tomorrow. A bit heavier than the HuDus as expected, we will see how they roll. There is no, or at least very little, snow here yet.
    I managed to put the front on backwards. Made me angry because it was very hard to get them on my split-tube prepared rims. Well at least I got some practice doing it again.
    Actually inflating was very easy. They held air very well without sealant, but I put some in of course. It appears to be very airtight already.
    BTW the likewise tubeless HuDus had practically bonded to the split-tube. That was one robust set-up. I could hardly get it to come off when fully deflated and using force... I feel very confident with the method.

mtbr member
    I rate these tyres so much I have sold off all my surly 4" rubber (Knards & Nates)
    Floaters get my vote for year round trail riding.
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    First ride today.
    I think I had to work a bit harder than with the HuDus, the Floaters are heavier and rolls slightly slower, maybe.
    Grip feels reassuring.
    My Hoggar steers better than ever. This was the biggest difference. The bike understeers less.
    Bike weight increased by half a kilo, approx a pound.
    I started on 10 psi, it felt pretty ok if a little bouncy. Lowered to 8 psi, felt slower and not a lot comfier and it also took away some of the crispy steering. I think I will settle for about 9 psi.
    That is on 47 mm rims and with a 155 lbs rider.
    Tubeless with split-tube is flawless.

According to Strava I was considerably faster than yesterday's reference ride on a Turner 5-Spot but slower than my best times with HuDus. Conditions were not identical so it's hardly conclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    That was my impression of the Vee Tire Sterling as well. (Fatback branded, and the Floater is also Vee Tire made) I set my Sterlings up at 20psi and haven't veered much lower than that since. They feel as good as a Larry at 7-10 psi. I wonder if the self-steer complaints on some Vee tires is because folks are treating the air pressures like they would with Surly tires. maybe Vee made tires of 120TPI need a higher psi to work well. It's interesting to me that you found a similar trait as I did.
    I got another ride on my Floater today (fat front bike, Large Marge rim). Sandy, ruts, chunky basalt rock.
    I started with 20psi. No self-steer. Very bouncy/harsh on the rocks.
    Dropped to 12psi. Still no self-steer. A bit better on the rock.
    Down to 7psi. Maybe a minor bit of self-steer at times. Good on the rocks. No squirm.
    Rolling resistance was never an issue. Surface was either sand (packed and loose) or chunky rock.

The BFL (120tpi) has slightly more self-steer on the same setup at 7-15psi.
    Never noticed s-s with the Nate (120tpi).
    The Vee Mission was terrible with massive self-steer and it was worse at the higher pressure. This was the 1800g thick rubber casing version.

Casing width wise (bead to bead measured inside) the BFL was ~9mm greater than the Nate, with both the Mission and Floater ~3mm wider. Mounted on the Large Marge the BFL and Floater casings both measure 94mm. Profile for Floater, BFL and Nate were all "round" with the Mission a bit peaked.

In hand, the Floater casing feels thinner and more supple than the BFL.

I am wondering how rim width and frame geometry affect the self-steer. My current bike has ~70.5 HTA, 45mm fork offset, shortish TT, longish stem, and 65mm rim.
    mtbtires.com

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I got another ride on my Floater today (fat front bike, Large Marge rim). Sandy, ruts, chunky basalt rock.
    I started with 20psi. No self-steer. Very bouncy/harsh on the rocks.
    Dropped to 12psi. Still no self-steer. A bit better on the rock.
    Down to 7psi. Maybe a minor bit of self-steer at times. Good on the rocks. No squirm.
    Rolling resistance was never an issue. Surface was either sand (packed and loose) or chunky rock...................I am wondering how rim width and frame geometry affect the self-steer. My current bike has ~70.5 HTA, 45mm fork offset, shortish TT, longish stem, and 65mm rim.
    That makes sense to me. I haven't tried much lower pressures yet. I'm down to about 15psi and still okay with the Sterlings. Thanks for the feedback. I'm running a stock 2012 Ti Mukluk, Enabler fork with the 70mm Uma rims.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    The BFL (120tpi) has slightly more self-steer on the same setup at 7-15psi.

I am wondering how rim width and frame geometry affect the self-steer. My current bike has ~70.5 HTA, 45mm fork offset, shortish TT, longish stem, and 65mm rim.
    Hm. I have tried both Floater and BFL in as a front tire. I have a 20" Pugs, with Rolling Darryls.

In short: as a front tire, the BFL works better for me: Floater begun self-steering (not bad, but noticeable) when I lowered the tire pressure below 9 psi, but with BFL I have not noticed ss at all. Also, BFL gives a softer ride, must be the larger air volume.

Currently, I have BFL in the front and Floater in the rear, and I'm quite satisfied with the setup. The Floater seems to grip well enough, and rolls better than Nate (at least it feels like that. I think that basically everything rolls better than Nate ).

Oh, and if I remember correctly, my Floater weighed in at 1520 g. Initially, it had a noticeable wobble to which I could do nothing, but after a few weeks, that problem vanished. Maybe the tire broke in? Anyway, as I probably have mentioned earlier, a good buy with that pricing

One of these days I have to test how the Floater compares with a Knard in a 65 mm rim.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    More riding on Floaters today. It was the standard lunch hour ride.
    It was wet, soft and generally hard work, but no snow. +/- compared to HuDu.
    The bike is a Sandman Hoggar with stock 47 mm rims. I had 9+ psi both front and rear.

+ A lot of traction, very little slipping.
    + Better side grip, confidence inspiring.
    + Better turning, less understeer, less wrestling.

- Heavier, noticeable.
    - Slower rolling, noticeable
    - A little harsher riding.

To sum it up I was back to working my butt off to keep up with the faster riders (on narrow wheels). With he HuDus I had no problems staying up front.

I will keep them on since snow is coming and speed generally doesn't matter during winter. I expect them to be a lot better in snow and really difficult conditions. Come spring I will first change the rear. If that doesn't do it I will be back on two HuDus, if nothing even faster has turned up by then.

As long as I ride by myself, the Floaters will be great.

mtbr member
    On One Floater Tire Review-photo-2.jpg
    I've got forty miles on my Floaters now. Yesterday was the first time I've had them on real singletrack and as you can see, there was approximately 4" of snow on top of the frozen dirt/leaf mixture. My Pugsley is SS and I was able to stand and power up some steeper climbs as the Floater dug in nicely. I was most impressed with the side grip. One trail I rode is no more than a foot path and it was off camber the entire way as it follows a ravine bank. The big side knobs provided lots of confidence inspiring traction. I'm 210 lbs. and I ran the front at 8psi on a Rolling Darryl and the rear at 12psi on a Marge Lite.

Anchorage, AK
    ...and now for something really cool...

On One Floater Tire Review-awesome.jpg
    --Peace

Elitest thrill junkie
    Daym!
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

WNC Native
    Saw those on FB yesterday, I may have to get a set of green ones!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Just confirmed .

They ARE real !

Available Feb 18th from UK store

OMFG ! ! ! !

Orange FTW

Fat Biker

Nemophilist
    UPDATE #2;

Bottom line from my last review; THESE TIRES WORK.

UPDATE - Ummmm... Pretty well, most of the time. They do not work in heavy snow that well, I am finding. That is really no fault of the tire itself, within what I assume was its design brief. I still think they are the best ALL AROUND tire you can get, but for deep snow they definitely have their limits. I'm talking much past 4-5", and again, factoring in the tremendous variety of conditions that snow riding can present. This past weekend cold temps on some hard pack trail, and some on 8-10" of 2-day powder, they were not so great. To get enough grip to maintain forward movement, I had to air WAAAAY down, which brought moderate traction but a ton of rolling resistance.

So, I have found the limits of these tires. In the summer, your HuDus will spank them a bit for roll and weight, if that matters. if it doesn't, scratch the HuDu from your list because it has longevity and price issues (120TPI). Add any significant soft terrain condition to the equation (mud, moderate snow), and the balance starts to tip toward the Floater. There is a VERY wide range from there until you get to more than 5" of snow. Beyond that, a Nate (and obviously from there Bud/Lou) will be far superior.

Still the best tire if you can only have one. Not necessarily the best if you are trying to play at the margins.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.

A Surly Maverick
    Fair to say that the chances of loosing our bikes has just decreased a bit judging by the above NEON rubber
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Feelygood ! View Post
    Fair to say that the chances of loosing(sic) our bikes has just decreased a bit judging by the above NEON rubber
    Colored rubber usually increases the chance of "loosing" grip.
    mtbtires.com

nothing to see here
    Colored rubber usually increases the chance of "loosing" grip.
    I suspected as much.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

A Surly Maverick
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    They do not work in heavy snow that well, I am finding. That is really no fault of the tire itself, within what I assume was its design brief. I still think they are the best ALL AROUND tire you can get, but for deep snow they definitely have their limits. I'm talking much past 4-5", and again, factoring in the tremendous variety of conditions that snow riding can present.
    I've been noticing the same thing, also a tendency to wash out in front in these conditions. Given the, as Trail maker says, tremendous variety of snow conditions, I was reluctant to blame the tires. But when I kept sliding all over the place, even downhill when I used to be able to count on the weight and momentum of the wheels to push/pull me through, I came to the conclusion it was the Floaters. Mounted a Nate up front and gained much more control over the front end. I think my problem is the "wedge" shaped profile of the Floater as mounted on my 70 mm umas. Tire does not want to hold a line when it meets resistance, but wants to deflect right or left. The more rounded Nate just blasts right through. Still running the Floater in the rear, but reversed now due to the traction issues noted by TM. Reversing seems to help some. I'll probably go back to floaters f/r for summer trail/beach riding. As good as anything else I've tried for this purpose.
    The older I get the better I was...

Mr Snitch
    Jun 2009
    If only they were in red....

mtbr member

I was thinking blue would be nice... But I'm a minority!!

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Loving these tires in the snow on 100mm rims. Crept down a steep hill that I couldn't have walked down.
    70 Gripstuds and 70 1/2" screws with wide, flat heads in each. Those near-middle knobs are just barely thick enough for the Gripstuds-very tricky to install. Still not as rink-worthy as 300 tooth nokians, but lots of extra confidence on ice and hard-packed snow. Have ridden a few miles on pavement, too, and no studs lost or loosened, even the one that sticks out the side of the knob.
    I'm just wondering if the front has more grip than necessary, and if ramping the front of the knobs more would lessen the drag. ( Sharpen the front points of the side knobs more like a Larry and take the squarish corner off the front of the middle knobs like a Vee8.)

mtbr member
    Had Larry 27 tpi on front and not bad but knobs too shallow for studs. (And too shallow for ultimate snow grip in all conditions, I think)
    Floaters front and back now and they do float. Riding wicked nasty bumpy footprint-holed ice the other night I kept thinking my tires felt like marshmallows.

Nemophilist
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I've been noticing the same thing, also a tendency to wash out in front in these conditions. Given the, as Trail maker says, tremendous variety of snow conditions, I was reluctant to blame the tires. But when I kept sliding all over the place, even downhill when I used to be able to count on the weight and momentum of the wheels to push/pull me through, I came to the conclusion it was the Floaters. Mounted a Nate up front and gained much more control over the front end. I think my problem is the "wedge" shaped profile of the Floater as mounted on my 70 mm umas. Tire does not want to hold a line when it meets resistance, but wants to deflect right or left. The more rounded Nate just blasts right through. Still running the Floater in the rear, but reversed now due to the traction issues noted by TM. Reversing seems to help some. I'll probably go back to floaters f/r for summer trail/beach riding. As good as anything else I've tried for this purpose.
    Hey;

Wanted to come back and second this astute observation by VB. I rode the Kroozer yesterday, shod with the Floaters. 4-5" of fresh powder over bare ground, or leftover ice that did not melt from the previous week's warm temps. VERY sketchy side grip, and not because of the ice. I took to riding just off the trail tread a lot of the time because the roots and rocks are less exposed there. The side slip was VERY prevalent, like riding in the rain on a skinny bike. I rode the Humvee today, shod with 27tpi Nates. Same snow conditions, same trails. SUPREME confidence compared to the Floaters in terms of side grip, and somewhat better forward bite as well. Night & day!

I agree with Velo that in the rear it would be more manageable, but on the front it was terribly limiting and really shot my confidence and ability to attack off camber terrain. I STILL think they are the best all around tire out there, but they definitely have their limits in the snow.

mtbr member
    I've been riding in the snow quite often over the last couple weeks on my Floater shod Pugsley. I've noticed with the Floaters that there doesn't seem to be any appreciable gain in traction once I get down below 8psi. What I have noticed with lower pressures is a seemingly exponential increase in rolling resistance and very noticeable self steer on harder surfaces. Anybody else have a similar experience?

Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    I've been riding in the snow quite often over the last couple weeks on my Floater shod Pugsley. I've noticed with the Floaters that there doesn't seem to be any appreciable gain in traction once I get down below 8psi. What I have noticed with lower pressures is a seemingly exponential increase in rolling resistance and very noticeable self steer on harder surfaces. Anybody else have a similar experience?
    Sounds similar to other reports of Vee-made tires.

I have run the Floater on sand dunes at about 4 to 15 psi. Little difference in traction but definitely had better floatation at the low end.
    Any tire has the RR go way up and steers wonky when the pressure is too low.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    has anyone heard any updates from on one on the new colored floater? nothing on their website yet.

mtbr member
    I just placed my order for 2 Floaters. On-One has lots of them in stock.

mtbr member
    Has anyone studded a floater yet? Wondering if the lugs are tall enough for the smallest grip studs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Has anyone studded a floater yet? Wondering if the lugs are tall enough for the smallest grip studs?
    Yes, in post #130^^. I used the GST-1000 with a drill on slow speed, then realized much easier by hand. Depth was okay, only a little bump inside and no penetration, but I put tape inside anyway. The knobs are tall enough, but just barely wide enough. These studs are more like corkscrews than screws, tricky to keep them centered in the knob.

mtbr member

UK has them
    But Planet X does bot

Sent from magic wish granting phone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    Yes, in post #130^^. I used the GST-1000 with a drill on slow speed, then realized much easier by hand. Depth was okay, only a little bump inside and no penetration, but I put tape inside anyway. The knobs are tall enough, but just barely wide enough. These studs are more like corkscrews than screws, tricky to keep them centered in the knob.
    Not sure how I missed that. Thanks. Were yours new? Mine have a few miles on them and are a little worn.

mtbr member
    Yeah, mine were brand new. I put a little piece of Gorilla tape under each stud, just in case. Cutting and applying the tape took longer than installing the studs.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I just ordered a set of black floaters from the On-one website for $54.92 each with free shipping to the U.S. Can't beat that!

mtbr member
    Rode mine in the dirt on sunday after a winter of snow- damn, they hook up.

Still running my tire pressure higher than I did with Surly tires, but still not feeling the need to run my pressure any lower- the grip has been excellent.

Gotta pay to play
    Quote Originally Posted by N8R View Post
    I just ordered a set of black floaters from the On-one website for $54.92 each with free shipping to the U.S. Can't beat that!
    Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. Just ordered two from the UK site.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    Rode mine in the dirt on sunday after a winter of snow- damn, they hook up.

Still running my tire pressure higher than I did with Surly tires, but still not feeling the need to run my pressure any lower- the grip has been excellent.
    That's good to hear. I'm currently running kevlar Devast8tors ( 1600 g actual weight each). They work ok but they do lack in the traction department somewhat. I'm looking forward to switching to the Floaters. I just wish they would come out with a 4.8-5" Floater, that would be awesome! Doesn't seem likely though unless On-One comes out with a bike that is made to take 5" tires.

mtbr member
    That's good to hear. I'm currently running kevlar Devast8tors ( 1600 g actual weight each). They work ok but they do lack in the traction department somewhat. I'm looking forward to switching to the Floaters. I just wish they would come out with a 4.8-5" Floater, that would be awesome! Doesn't seem likely though unless On-One comes out with a bike that is made to take 5" tires.
    THe good news is, on a Rolling Darryl rim they measure out at 4" even so the size on the sidewall is accurate for a change.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just got my floaters today! Ordered on the 6, so only took 7 days to get to Utah from the UK. That's pretty fast. One weighs 1477 g and the other is only 1307 g, which is awesome for a $55 tire. I'm tempted to take a sander to the inside of the heavier one and remove a little rubber.

N8R
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Went for a quick test ride, and I must say these tires are awesome. They seem to roll just as good as the origin8 devast8tors, but they handle a lot better, and have much better traction. They also have much less self steer and have me second guessing dropping the front rim down to an 80 mm. I think I'm going to stay with 100 mm rims with the floaters. Well done on the design Shiggy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Just received two black Floaters in the post, weighing in at 1398 and 1414 g - appear to be quite good quality. Now gotta get on with building my wheels.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just got my floaters today! Ordered on the 6, so only took 7 days to get to Utah from the UK. That's pretty fast. One weighs 1477 g and the other is only 1307 g, which is awesome for a $55 tire. I'm tempted to take a sander to the inside of the heavier one and remove a little rubber.
    How are you guys getting free shipping? Looking to order a pair and they come up to $111 for the tires and $42 for shipping to US.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Vette-ss View Post
    How are you guys getting free shipping? Looking to order a pair and they come up to $111 for the tires and $42 for shipping to US.

Thanks!
    They changed their shipping and policy. I'll go find the link.

Edited: Last week when the test was done, it was only four tires that hit the free shipping criteria, which appeared to be: over 100 GBP but less than five tires (weight or size?).
    Colored On One Floaters

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoe View Post
    They changed their shipping and policy. I'll go find the link.

Edited: Last week when the test was done, it was only four tires that hit the free shipping criteria, which appeared to be: over 100 GBP but less than five tires (weight or size?).
    Colored On One Floaters
    Yeah, I think I see that. Looks to be free over 100 GBP now (may have been $100 before). So I guess I continue shopping....

mtbr member
    Good news: they're now down to just less than £20 each.

Bad news:you'll need to buy more to get free shipping
    If you need me I'll be at the bar

Loser
    Has anyone figured out the math here? It seems no matter how many tires I put in my basket the shipping just keeps incrementing, the shipping is about the same as the price of a tire. I went from 1 tire to 8 and never got anything significantly less than that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Has anyone figured out the math here? It seems no matter how many tires I put in my basket the shipping just keeps incrementing, the shipping is about the same as the price of a tire. I went from 1 tire to 8 and never got anything significantly less than that.
    The free int'l shipping disappeared about a month ago.

It appears a purchase of 4 tires is the best cost/tire at just over $50 usd - 2 tires comes out to about $60/tire.

Anyone in the twin cities area want to split an order of 4? pm me!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    The free int'l shipping disappeared about a month ago....
    Yup
    They changed their shipper.
    It was down to only orders of four tires got free int'l, then that went too.
    Last I looked, it was 40 GBP for shipping even a single tire...
    Colored On One Floaters

Loser
    At $60 it's still a deal, but I think I would prefer to pay $60 for a tire and get free shipping, ha! Funny how my brain works like that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pxpaulx View Post
    The free int'l shipping disappeared about a month ago.

It appears a purchase of 4 tires is the best cost/tire at just over $50 usd - 2 tires comes out to about $60/tire.

Anyone in the twin cities area want to split an order of 4? pm me!
    Sent you a PM. I am in Blaine and interested in splitting an order.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    interestingly if you go above 5 tires shipping goes up to $145...but stays at that price! would be cool to get a group buy together,could probably get the cost down to $40 (after reshipping to the group) a tire...but would be afraid of possible duty charges on importing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    All I know is that I feel like a winner every time I see the VAT get subtracted off.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I think their site is on drugs.
    White On-One Floaters.
    United States.

1, 2 or 3 tire(s), shipping is 39.99 GBP
    4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP
    5 to 10 tires, shipping is 60 GBP
    11 to 18 tires, shipping is 145 GBP

same for 2 green with 2 white, 4 tires, shipping is 29.99 GBP

2 white, 1 green & 1 black, shipping is 60 GBP

sigh
    Strange....I'm not getting these same numbers. I'm looking at black tires though, which were a few bucks more per tire.

I'm seeing 39.99 GBP for 1 or 2 tires, 60 GBP for 3 or 4 tires. But yes, the site is on drugs. If you change currency to USD then back to GBP, the 60 shipping price changes to 50 GBP and the 39.99 shipping price changes to 33.33 GBP. But unfortunately the USD number stays the same.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yup
    They changed their shipper.
    Yep. I had actually emailed them last week since I still hadn't got my order in. I kept adding items to my cart to get free shipping and no deal. Even though is says on their site free shipping anywhere in the world on orders over 60 GBP. Their reply back was that they recently changed shippers and were working on a getting a new lower cost shipper.

That said, it does look like they lowered their price on the tires maybe to compensate?? The best deal I saw earlier in this thread was about $55/tire shipped. Even paying shipping, that's the price I see now even paying out the nose on DHL. Still seems like a good deal even though as Jisch points out it seems better with "free shipping".

4 tires comes to just under $200 USD. Not a huge savings over just buying two, but if anyone in the metro Detroit area wants a pair let me know quickly and I can add them to my order.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I just weighed a set of white floaters and they scaled up at 1723g and 1814g. What?

dvn
    mtbr member
    Floater is ok on the rear but I absolutely hate it on the front. Tried it on two different bikes now. They're a decent tire for the price but are pretty slow rolling and self steer is terrible unless aired up to over 10 psi. I just ordered a set of Husker DU's.
    "Either way it doesn't really matter, I just got back from a bike ride."
    > dbhammercycle

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I just weighed a set of white floaters and they scaled up at 1723g and 1814g. What?
    The colored versions are significantly heavier than the regular black.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

Loser
    I've had my orange Floaters on for almost five months and 350 miles now. When I was unloading the bike last night I noticed a lot of wet spots on the outside of the rear tire where Stan's had leaked through and sealed up the tire. I'm glad the Stans is working, but the sidewalls on the tire is degrading rapidly.

I'll take a picture, but it really looks like dry rot or cracking from flexing. The tread is getting beat, but not so much that I'd swap them now. I have said that if I could get one season of riding out of them I'd be happy, and that's still true, but I think I'm going to lose the sidewall battle before the tread is worn out. I think I'll go for black tires next time, I think (though have very little proof) that the colorant makes the rubber less pliable. I had some black Floaters on my old bike and I could see threads pretty quickly, but that is less alarming than the cracking I'm seeing on these tires. I'll have to take a look at what tires are available, but I am still hopeful I'll make it until snow flies and I put the Ground Controls back on.

YMMV and all that stuff, just saying what I'm seeing.

banned
    Sep 2008
    No floater experience, but my 60tpi v8's that came on the charge held up fairly well for many months, but the sidewalls showed WAY more threads/wear than my 120tpi knards which are way lighter tires. I wasn't expecting the knards to hold up so well. My trails are very jagged rocky in nature. Do floaters come in 120tpi?

rog

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    I've had my orange Floaters on for almost five months and 350 miles now. When I was unloading the bike last night I noticed a lot of wet spots on the outside of the rear tire where Stan's had leaked through and sealed up the tire. I'm glad the Stans is working, but the sidewalls on the tire is degrading rapidly.

I'll take a picture, but it really looks like dry rot or cracking from flexing. T=
    The lower pressure I ran, the more I noticed this happening. Riding on rough ice with very low pressure for traction was one of the worst (where there had been some thawing and freezing and shards of ice were present), but also running very low pressure on any rough terrain seemed to accelerate this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dvn View Post
    Floater is ok on the rear but I absolutely hate it on the front. Tried it on two different bikes now. They're a decent tire for the price but are pretty slow rolling and self steer is terrible unless aired up to over 10 psi. I just ordered a set of Husker DU's.
    I've floaters on both ends of my pugsley and think the traction is pretty good but I can't keep up with my skinny tire friends on the climbs and was hoping a lighter, faster rolling tire will help. How do the HD's compare rolling resistance and weight wise?
    What I do like is the floaters air up and hold the bead very good when setup tubeless with absolutely no leaks.

banned
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrozz View Post
    I've floaters on both ends of my pugsley and think the traction is pretty good but I can't keep up with my skinny tire friends on the climbs and was hoping a lighter, faster rolling tire will help. How do the HD's compare rolling resistance and weight wise?
    What I do like is the floaters air up and hold the bead very good when setup tubeless with absolutely no leaks.
    Hudus are light, fast, great grip, great finish. Can't go wrong.

rog

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    On-One floaters in black right now are only $54, plus free shipping. $10 less than the colors for a change!

Loser
    via the Planet-X website (just fyi for everyone), thanks for posting.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I had been running the green floaters since mid-summer. They are great on singletrack, albeit a tad bouncy. Got my first few snow rides in last week with them. Very impressed. Not so good in unpacked stuff, but worked like a champ otherwise. In any event, these are a MAJOR MAJOR upgrade over the Vee Missions and Origin 8 Devis8ters I ran last winter. Seriously, no comparison.

I am sure there are better and lighter tires out there, but for my purposes, the on-one floater is a great mid-priced all-rounder tire.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Agreed, on the snow packed track I was riding this weekend they were holding like glue at 5psi ish

mtbr member
    I loved mine on the slushy 1-2 inches I rode and there were plenty of bare spots with exposed wet rocks and roots and they performed flawlessly. I'm looking forward to trying them in some deeper snow next weekend. I had planned on maybe getting a set of bigger tires, like a Dillinger 5 and 4, but we'll see. Maybe the floaters will work fine 90-95 % of the time, and if that's the case I'll save the money and put it towards a new fat bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sorry to report, I may have gotten one of the last at the $54 tires. I got an order for 1 in just before noon. Now they are not listed at all.

mtbr member
    Got my pair of On One Floaters via DHL today. Placed the order on the 24th, so that's pretty darned good considering the hols and the weekend.

$120.80 including shipping.

Pretty good deal....hope they work out!
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Still available at the On-One site On-One Floater Fat Tyre | On - One for $137, shipping included. I've been riding mine for a year, and they are great on dirt and snow.

Re: On One Floater Tire Review

Quote Originally Posted by skogorbet View Post
    Sorry to report, I may have gotten one of the last at the $54 tires. I got an order for 1 in just before noon. Now they are not listed at all.
    Still there, at $41.18 but with expensive shipping to the USA
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYOO26F...oater-fat-tyre
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Studdly Stan??

Quote Originally Posted by dudeist View Post
    What if you were running tubeless? If there is no penetration upon install but a few studs worked there way a tad deeper while riding... shouldn't the Stan's seal it up anyway?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I ordered 2 Orange Floaters from the USA site... but they will ship for free from the UK.

$64.99 each

Now it seems only green and pink are available...

On-One COLORED Floater Fat Tire

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfaust97 View Post
    What if you were running tubeless? If there is no penetration upon install but a few studs worked there way a tad deeper while riding... shouldn't the Stan's seal it up anyway?
    - Yes, I guess Stan's would seal it up. I use q-tubes. Still only 100 miles on these, but holding up well. I have Dillingers now, and they roll easier, but keeping these for deep snow or light snow over ice.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Any preferred mounting direction for maximum snow traction? Or just use direction arrow?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    Any preferred mounting direction for maximum snow traction? Or just use direction arrow?
    I was just searching for this and a couple of pages back shiggy recommends using the arrow direction in the snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Thanks. I found it too with a little searching. All mounted up. More snow coming tomorrow. They'll get a good test on Sunday. $110 for the set from Planet-x-USA.

Giddy up!

edit: they look pretty bad ass compared to my stock V8s!

mtbr member
    Did you get socked for $66 shipping? That's what my cart showed when I tried to add the tires from their US website (shipped to the US as well)

Quote Originally Posted by DDondero View Post
    Thanks. I found it too with a little searching. All mounted up. More snow coming tomorrow. They'll get a good test on Sunday. $110 for the set from Planet-x-USA.

Giddy up!

edit: they look pretty bad ass compared to my stock V8s!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I got free shipping. It was $55 a tire. They shipped from Portland to CO.

mtbr member
    Is it gauche to reply to your own post? Anyway, I asked On One about US shipping, and got this reply:

The NEW Planet X USA site went live last week. We now are fulfilling all orders from our UK warehouse. As such, there are now shipping charges

The floater might be a great tire, but at $175/pair, there are likely many other options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post
    Did you get socked for $66 shipping? That's what my cart showed when I tried to add the tires from their US website (shipped to the US as well)

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Damn. Sorry to hear that. I did notice that when I ordered there were only 5 tires in stock (3 after I ordered 2). Maybe they were getting rid of inventory at the Portland location. Looks like I got lucky on that deal. Makes me wish I bought more than 2 tires.

They'll be getting a good test today as we got another 4" of snow last night and it's still snowing.

mtbr member
    I got some a couple weeks ago when the stock was replenished out of Portland. They got 23 of them in and they only lasted a few days. If you look in the fatbike trade thread someone is looking to sell a brand new pair though.

mtbr member
    Sold.

Thanks.
    Last edited by 69tr6r; 03-04-2015 at 01:42 PM.

Gotta pay to play
    Dang that is bad news. Now I'm glad I bought 3 of them when they were $50ish

mtbr member
    They've got a few white in stock. If you call.

I just spoke with Vince (maybe it was Mike), bought the last green.

Shipped from Portland.

Has two orange as well, but he thought they were pending sale.

They are moving offices, that's why stock is low. They're sending product back to the UK while they move.

As a note; they are actively working to get the shipping to a more reasonable amount. He even said it was a bit over the top, to spend a third to half your money on shipping.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Well I got out today in the new snow. These tires totally transform my bike! Conditions today were challenging to say the least. 4" of new snow on top of crusty mashed potatoes (10-12" last Thursday that was slightly packed down in a narrow track). Staying on the packed area was difficult but rideable. I was able to get up some steep climbs that would have been impossible with the old V8s. If you veered slightly from the track it was instant anchor down stop. On a few single track sections another rider had been through right before me. If I tried to follow his line I did well, at least where he didn't digger in the soft stuff. Overall, very impressed with these tires.

Oh, and on the half mile road section to the trails, there was no discernible self steer at 7psi.

mtbr member
    Got a '15 Boris x9 primarily for snow going to run a bud up front do u think the floater would be better than a Nate or a 4.5 snow shoe I know that the Lou would be to big from looking at other threads

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I read somewhere on here that they were changing their US location and getting rid of their US stock to get ready for the move. Hopefully their shipping comes down a bit when they get settled.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tear it all out! SuperModerator
    Picked mine up this morning, will be installing them this week.

For those that are using the Floaters for their spring, summer & fall tires, what pressure are you using?

Just wondering what pressure to start at.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In the snow I was at 6-7 psi. Today on dry single track I was at 10psi. Rode well. I'm running regular weight Qtubes btw.
    TitanFlex Transition
    Fisher Caliber 29
    Motobecane Boris X7
    LeMond Poprad
    Trek 5500

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast