Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Great instructional JoeG
    Here is my attempt very similar to Joes only losing the rim tapes and not using any tape
    my calculations I think I am saving over half a kilo per wheel

front tyre is still up 2 days and 2 rides later so doing the back wheel this weekend

Light weight Ghetto tubeless attempt Singletrack Forum

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by zarr View Post
    tagged for future ref
    Me too..

addicted to chunk
    The foam layer helps for tires not wanting to take air, but as noted before, the foam will crush down once it's in there with pressure, so it's kind of a 1 time use. However, once the tire is mounted & ridden for a while, they tend to mount back up very easily after.

For anyone complaining about leaking bead, just add 1 more wrap of gorilla tape on the bead, no more issues. My RD's with 2 wraps on each bead are very difficult to remove the tire from the rim with no pressure inside. I had to stand on the tire to break the bead, couldn't get it with hand power alone.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Ok, so I've followed the instructions as above and all has seated apart from a small bit where the rim is joined. This is leaking very slightly at the bead, but also across the join. what should i be looking for or should i just wang some sealant in and hope for the best?

mtbr member
    wang and dance!

mtbr member
    argh!
    Instructional photos are gone, too popular!?
    JoeG, could you please upload the photos just here,
    to A community photo gallery - Mtbr Mountain Bike Photo Gallery

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Forgot about this, I did the 'wang and dance' and all is good. I've done a few rides and am confident of the puncture proofing but still don't know the limit of the tyres so I'm still riding with two tubes in my pack!

mtbr member
    I set up NATE's on Clownshoe's with the split tube method the other day. I used 24x2.25 Q tubes with removable valve stems. I took every thing apart, cleaned it all, installed the Q tubes with some pressure, straightened them on the rims, cut down the middle all the way around, cleaned out the powder, installed the tires making sure the Q tube edges were hanging over the rims, tied a rope around the tires to push the beads out, inflated with a hand pump, removed rope, removed valve core, pumped in three vials of 'sealant, replaced valve core, re-inflated, shake and bake and done to perfection. I rode it for a while at speed and over rough terrain with no problems at 6 psi. I will try this again when I get my new 9-0-7 with Bud/Lou on Clownshoes. It was a very easy and not too long process.
    Last edited by gcappy; 07-31-2013 at 03:46 AM.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    ...tied a rope around the tires to push the beads out, inflated with a hand pump, removed rope, removed valve core, pumped in three vials of 'sealant, replaced valve core, re-inflated, shake and bake and done to perfection. I rode it for a while at speed and over rough terrain with no problems at 6 psi. I will try this again when I get my new 9-0-7 with Bud/Lou on Clownshoes. It was a very easy and not too long process.
    Great that it worked so easily. In place of the rope, you can also stretch a tube around the outside of the tyre. Saves having to undo the rope. I also suggest removing the valve core for quicker and easier inflating, even with a hand pump.

Also great to hear it held up well @ 6psi when ridden hard.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    no rim strip?

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by gcappy View Post
    I set up NATE's on BFL's
    Now I'm confused.
    Riding Fat and still just as fast as I never was.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    Now I'm confused.
    I don't blame you. I meant NATE'S on Clownshoes.

mtbr member
    On-One Fatty Wheelset and Floater Tire Tubeless Setup (How To)-ritas-conversion-1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgould View Post
    no rim strip?
    Yes, new white rim strips.

mtbr member
    Nice, timeless black & white look totally trending for 2013!
    White saddle maybe?

The rim strips are the regular ones or did you use some lightweight material?

mtbr member
    White saddle maybe?
    Damn my eyes hurt its so shiny, I just got thru a whole bottle of acetone on my matt black 907. Ninja!

mtbr member
    White saddle maybe?

The rim strips are the regular ones or did you use some lightweight material?
    Surly strip's. I just bought the black saddle but now I am thinking I should have gone white. Maybe.

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I also used the split tube method on my 47mm trial rims for my On-One. Tried first without split tubes, but it seems that the large holes in the rim is a problem for the rim strip and pressure. The pressure pushed the gorilla tape out of the holes. It's very little surface on the sides of the holes, so it is diffiicult to get the tape to stick. The split tube was perfect. Took me 20 min or so. No leaks at all.

mtbr member
    JoeG, so how's it going? Any issues with your method? Any additional recommendations after long time use?

Thanks for the crystal clear instruction! Maybe I'll try it on my Fatty one day.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    Thanks JoeG for the pictures and directions. I set up my front Holy Rolling Daryl this way tonight with a Surly Nate and was able to seat the bead with a hand pump and no compressed air.

Loser
    I just did my Floaters last night with the split tube method on weinmann 80 and 100mm rims (back and front respectively). I just laid the split tube in, dumped in a couple of scoops of Stans and aired them up with a compressor. The back aired up on the first attempt, no problems at all. The front took a bit more work, I had a hard time getting the bead to seat, I couldn't get enough pressure in the tire to move the bead out. I tried putting a strap around it, which didn't seem to help. After the third or fourth attempt it finally took air. I think the problem was getting the bead out beyond the cut outs. I was close to putting a tube in temporarily to get at least one bead seated, but ultimately it just took a little patience and a lot of air to get the beads to move. I moistened everything up with the Stans fluid, probably a little soapy water would have helped too.

I let them sit at 20psi over night, both were still full this morning. I'm going to drop them to riding pressure and do a ride today.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    2nd Post. Just ordered a pair of On-One Floaters for my bike that's to be delivered. They're 15% today only with the code UKTYRE15 at On-One Floater Fat Tyre / 4.0 inch / 120 TPI / Folding / Black.

My bike is coming with the Vee Missions and I wanted a good all around snow tire. Just happened to have this pop up today.

Will convert to tubeless after I blow up a tube or two, but will be wanting to ride asap at Big Sky Montana.

Thanks to all that post with the DIY info. It has clarified a lot of questions I've had.

mtbr member
    Thanks for posting that link to the Floaters I've been on their site before and the tire's are always out of stock so I just ordered a pair.

I plan on going tubeless with them as well so this post came at the perfect time.

Thanks everyone for sharing!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    instead of the sill foam I used a 1/4" closed cell polyethylene foam I had prev used as an insulating spa blanket for a hot tub. you can get this stuff by the foot at local pool and spa dealers. This material will never crush down like sill foam so no need to replace it every time you swap out a wheel. Great instructions, worked perfect. Note- had to angle cut the poly foam on the sides so it fits nicely into the concave of the rim

this stuff DLR-6THERMAL, Thermal Blanket, Floating, 6' x 6', Light Gray [DLR-6THERMAL] - $52.07 : Superior Spa Parts, Your Trusted Spa Repair Guys

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    So I see they raised the price and are out of stock. Damn it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Cool new colours due in soon. 3000 tires due in the end of the month.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast