mtbr member
    Oct 2013

On One fatty sizing...

I am 5'10.5-11" Never sat on a fatbike before. What would people suggest, an 18" or a 20" fatty?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm 5'11". I'd ride the med with a 90 or 100mm stem, or the large with a 60 or 70mm stem, depending on your preference. Personally, I'd go with the large, slap a 60mm stem and wide bars on there, and enjoy the "new" school geometry, especially with the fattys slacker head angle.

If you're purely bike packing, and not trail "shralping", then go shorter with a longer stem for more balanced, comfortable positioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwich View Post
    I'm 5'11". I'd ride the med with a 90 or 100mm stem, or the large with a 60 or 70mm stem, depending on your preference. Personally, I'd go with the large, slap a 60mm stem and wide bars on there, and enjoy the "new" school geometry, especially with the fattys slacker head angle.

If you're purely bike packing, and not trail "shralping", then go shorter with a longer stem for more balanced, comfortable positioning.

I plan on more bikepacking, trailing, swamping and exploring with the fatty. I am currently living just a few minutes south of the Alps and plan on some packing, exploring through the next year. I really don't see myself doing much DH riding or "shralping" more meandering through the woods with the fatty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'd probably go with the shorter frame then. My pugs comes in at 24" ett and it's a bit stretched out for me with a 90mm stem. I'll probably settle on a 70 someday. I like to be a bit more "behind" the bike than on top of it these days, but I ride my med cdale rush quite comfortably with a 23.5" ett and 90mm stem.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Medium. I'm 5' 10.75" (some days 5'11") and I feel at home on the medium. Longer bars are a must IMO because they help give you the leverage to be able to actually accelerate on a fat-bike, but they have the additional effect of stretching you out a bit more, so being my height on a medium works well. I'm usually always "in between" a medium and large no matter what bike I get, and the mediums usually work out for me the best.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Excellent. Thanks all for the info. I will go for a medium. Unfortunately, I also tend to fit between a medium and a large. Some bikes the medium is a little cramped, other bikes the large is too big. Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    I know this is an older thread, but I'm 5'9" and have been steered towards a Small/ 16" Fatty. Any thoughts/ opinions?
    "There are two kinds of mountain bikers in the world: those who are faster than me, and me."

Elitest thrill junkie
    With more time on the bike, it'd be nice if it was just a bit larger when I spend time spinning on the bike. The tighter terrain and trails are fine at medium for me, but it's a tad smallish. You'd be fine on a medium IMO, especially given the stem size and how you could just get a shorter one.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9.5" and the medium fits me perfect with the Mary bars I ordered along with it.
    2013 On One Fatty / 2011 Trek Sawyer / 2011 Kona Dr. Fine / 1985 Schwinn Tempo