mtbr member
    Jul 2013

On-One Fatty front derailleur

I am considering getting a On-One Fatty, but a little concerned about the lack of a front derailleur. Will the gears be low enough for riding in sand and snow? How hard would it be to add a front derailleur to it -- what kind of parts would be needed?
    Last edited by miksen; 07-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

One-On Fatty front derailleur

There was some discussion of that in this recent thread:

On One Fatty frame/fork/wheels/tires for $773

Elitest thrill junkie
    32-36...that's pretty easy gearing on a 26er (wheels+tires are still a bit smaller than a true 29er, more like 27.5). In fact, since it's a rigid bike, you spend a lot of time out of the saddle, so having the high gears is important, because a lot of it is stand and crank. This is much harder if your gears are too easy, you need the resistance. I may be a freak riding it with a 11-28t, but I wouldn't worry at all with 32-36, if it's bad drop down to a 30t front. If it was an FS bike where you could stay seated all of the time, that might change things IMO. I ride it like a rigid SS, not because of the gearing, but because of the rigid frame, good power transfer, no fork bobbing, etc. I just changed the gears to suit IMO.
    Last edited by Jayem; 07-09-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miksen View Post
    Will the gears be low enough for riding in sand and snow?
    I wouldn't worry about that. I had to go with 2x front but I'm 54 and the smaller 22 I use only on steep climbs up to hills. Normally I use only 32 teeth. Haven't front derailleur yet, don't know if I need it couse needs to swap btw the two only ones a day max..

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: One-On Fatty front derailleur

its very rarely i need a grany ring, maily flt riding and climing, down hilling i dont peday whould i benit from changing front cog for smaller if so what the next smallest on my on one fatty

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Jayem, good point on the standing part. I was mentally thinking of how I ride my 26" XC Race fully, and given the whole point of me getting a Fatty is to get something that rides very differently I shouldn't expect to ride it in the same way :-).

Also, just ran the gear ratios and actually quite surprised what little difference there is between 2x10 and 1x20. On my XC bike with 2x10 and 42T/27T in the front and 36T-11T in the back the highest/lowest gear ratio is 3.82/0.75. On the Fatty with 32T in the front and 36T-11T in the back it would be 2.91/0.89. Changing it to 30T makes it 2.73/0.83. Looking at all the ratios all I am loosing is the highest 2 or 3 gears and the lowest 2 or 1 gears with 32T/30T respectively.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I meant to say "so you need the high gears" to stand and crank, since so much of riding it is standing. Oh well, point got across Not that you wouldn't have the high gears, but you get to lugging around extra weight that you don't really use.

You'll also find that it takes a lot of energy/power to get those tires rolling. From a stop or from any significant decrease in speed, you again need those higher gears and to "stand and crank". It doesn't take crazy fitness or power, it just takes a little more of a single-speed mentality, otherwise it would just take forever and a day to get up to speed.

If you want a cheap performance upgrade, get some lightweight "fat" tubes. Huge rotational weight savings Tires and wheels will still weigh a ton, but you'd be amazed how needlessly thick the stock tubes are.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: On-One Fatty front derailleur

[QUOTE=

Also, just ran the gear ratios and actually quite surprised what little difference there is between 2x10 and 1x20. On my XC bike with 2x10 and 42T/27T in the front and 36T-11T in the back the highest/lowest gear ratio is 3.82/0.75. On the Fatty with 32T in the front and 36T-11T in the back it would be 2.91/0.89. Changing it to 30T makes it 2.73/0.83. Looking at all the ratios all I am loosing is the highest 2 or 3 gears and the lowest 2 or 1 gears with 32T/30T respective

i could do with putting a 30t on front seems a good trade off for gears as i would rather have 2 easier i rarely go in the bottom 2 cogs anyway ,if I'm going downhill I rest lol,,now where to shop for a 30t

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I don't know the On-one frame, but with a direct mount front derailleur and a problem solver gismo you can run a continuous housing using zip ties or something to hold the housing to the frame since the derailleur provides the housing stop for the housing..

In short no need for compromise..

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OK, I went ahead and made the purchase based on this great thread. And the Planet X / On-One guys are fast! I entered the order around midnight, this morning had an email saying that they had started building it, and at 2pm got a shipping confirmation and a promise that I should have it by Friday :-). Nice!

Elitest thrill junkie
    I got mine just as promised, and more importantly, no shipping to Alaska! Make sure to get some lighter tubes for it. They have to be wide enough to not create "necking" where the valve stem is, but the stock ones are just ridiculous. For motorcycles I think...

mtbr member

Re: On-One Fatty front derailleur

There are types and depths of snow where I am in the smallest possible gear combo on my 2x9, and still fighting tire slip with each pedal stroke, while seated.

Progress is extremely slow and difficult. It is mostly a futile, brutal challenge. In these situations, you would need a granny. That is *IF* you want to try to ride those conditions at all.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    I don't know the On-one frame, but with a direct mount front derailleur and a problem solver gismo you can run a continuous housing using zip ties or something to hold the housing to the frame since the derailleur provides the housing stop for the housing..

In short no need for compromise..
    you DON'T need anything special like problem solvers. a normal derailleur will do the trick as it does on my fatty and others too. save money and ride it hard. you'll need granny for steep climbs and rock crawling!

EDIT: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Flobukki, what model Shimano derailleur is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by flobukki View Post
    you DON'T need anything special like problem solvers. a normal derailleur will do the trick as it does on my fatty and others too. save money and ride it hard. you'll need granny for steep climbs and rock crawling!

EDIT: Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Really a Standard derailleur that works with a 100mm bottom bracket...!?

What model is it..??

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think any of the 3x front derailleurs with a longer stop screw will work with a granny and middle 2x10 setup. You really only need the adapter when you get a big outer ring, or offset double setup.