mtbr member
    Aug 2008

On-One Fatty as Commuter/Everything bike?

I have recently been saving up funds for another bike, and I've always been interested in a fat bike. Living in Minnesota makes it pretty ideal.

Right now I have a road and a single speed mountain bike, and commute on the mountain bike.

I commute every day, and want something with gears, and likely fenders and a rack. I am torn between getting the On One Fatty rolling chassis and another 29er frame. I have the parts to build up either. The Fatty will cost me a net of about $400 more, and I am Ok with that. I have looked at a Pugsley, but it will cost me much more. I am also aware that fenders will be tougher to fit, but that is also OK. I plan on making 29er wheels on a 170mm rear next summer, and running Hookworms on the stock wheels until the snow falls?

Are there any glaring disadvantages to this setup? Will it be any worse on the road? It looks like it should be super versatile with slicks, 29er wheels, and fat wheels all working on the same frame.

mtbr member
    Basically it comes down to the wheels. You can ring the changes using them. Fatbike, thin bike, 29er, 29er+ etc.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Raymond Donald Franklin
    ^Agreed on wheels. I think you can get 29" rims laced to their 135/170mm hubs from On-One UK website.

I have no further comment, other than I love my Fatty. It's comfy and slack-ish steering makes it very stable going straight (compared to my AM/DJ 26" bikes, I have no experience with other fatbikes). Yet, short chainstays allow me to do some trick riding - JFYI, in case you're into that kind of thing.

EDIT: Here it is. Not a bad deal unless you already have parts On-One Fat Not Fat Wheelset 29 Inch / Black / 32F32R / Shimano/SRAM

mtbr member
    Fatty have all the fender/rack eyelets you need? I think it's short on those compared to some other fat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I think that the lack of eyelets can be overcome by using P Clips. I also might just go with a frame bag.

I priced out a pugsley, but by the time I buy rims and tires, the rolling chassis is likely to be over $1000. Also, being able to run 29er wheels in the summer is a big bonus.

Is there anything that can touch the Fatty Rolling Chassis for price, that has eyelets and such?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It's perfect to drive with Floaters on the road. Other bikers and pedestrians hear the Big Wheels Rolling and think it's a coming truck..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeddyTS View Post
    It's perfect to drive with Floaters on the road. Other bikers and pedestrians hear the Big Wheels Rolling and think it's a coming truck..
    The Floaters have an insanely huge amount more rolling resistance on the road compared to some of the faster rolling tyres.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Basically it comes down to the wheels. You can ring the changes using them. Fatbike, thin bike, 29er, 29er+ etc.
    Have you been able to fit a 29+ wheel/tire in the back of the Fatty?

Elitest thrill junkie
    The fatty DOES NOT have provisions for a rack, there are only two small holes behind the dropouts. It's strictly a fat mountain bike. That said, if your commute requires fat-tires, a fat bike may be called for. If not, a fat bike is going to be a lot of rolling resistance that you don't need. You could think of it as making you stronger, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a commute bike. The sidewalks usually get icy and it's one of the few places where studs are useful.

I like my fatty, but I got it for trails.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Anchorage, AK

Re: On-One Fatty as Commuter/Everything bike?

I use my Mukluk with multiple wheel sets for commuting with thin tires and snow riding with fat tires. It works great in those roles but it has rack mounts. sometimes I even put aero bars on it.

--Lars
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On-One Fatty as Commuter/Everything bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1378658886406.jpg  

--Peace

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lars_D's skinny tire setup is more like what I am planning on. Fat tires cost way too much to burn up on pavement.

I was basically looking to see if I could justify buying a fatbike by using it as my commuter outside of winter. Fat tires will also lengthen my commuting season.

mtbr member
    ...you may have trouble finding 29er Hookworms...pretty sure they are only offered as 26x2.somethings...That being said, one fatbike with multile wheelsets and condition-appropriate tires can take the place of three or more bicycles, easily...and much more affordably...
    If Huffy made an airplane, would you fly in it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    How about a set of these tyres for commuting on a Fatty.

Vrubber Speedster 26 x 3.5 tire

Brian

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by quagmire_1985 View Post
    Are there any glaring disadvantages to this setup? Will it be any worse on the road? It looks like it should be super versatile with slicks, 29er wheels, and fat wheels all working on the same frame.
    An On One Fatty with a 2nd 29er wheelset would be pretty versatile. You can get loads of different 29er tires to suit your needs.

Price out the 2nd wheel set before you commit so there are no nasty surprises. I'm always amazed what I end up paying for custom wheels.

Fitting fenders will be a challenge as you noted, but there a variety of cheap DIY options to play with.

One option is to run a set of Black Floyds on the existing fat rims. That will mean no need for a second wheel set and some of the fattness of the fatty stays all the time. You can always get the 29er wheels later on if you still want 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by damnitman View Post
    That being said, one fatbike with multile wheelsets and condition-appropriate tires can take the place of three or more bicycles, easily...and much more affordably...
    +1 - indeed
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com