mtbr member
    Mar 2013

on one fatty chainring

needing some help is there anyone who knows the size of a 30t chainring that will fit my fatty need the right size bolt spacing ,in stead of a granny ring i want to get a smaller front chainring i would rather have 2 easier gears and lose the harder ones can someone point me in the right direction thanks

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    On my Fatty looks like the 32t that comes with the bike is the smallest ring that the bolt spider of Thruvativ cranks can take. Chain leaves like 1mm cap to the spider arm.

mtbr member
    I found two 30T rings that worked with my Shimano BCD 104 cranks:

30T Andersen?s Machine Chainring? | The Lazy Rando Blog...

30T BCD 104 Chainrings? | The Lazy Rando Blog...

I'm not sure what cranks are on the On One, but here are the links you can verify if they'll work before you buy.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: on one fatty chainring

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I found two 30T rings that worked with my Shimano BCD 104 cranks:

30T Andersen?s Machine Chainring? | The Lazy Rando Blog...

30T BCD 104 Chainrings? | The Lazy Rando Blog...

I'm not sure what cranks are on the On One, but here are the links you can verify if they'll work before you buy.
    nice info does anyone know the BCD on fatty chainring i have looked but cant find the relevant information

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It is 4 x 104mm. they are the single ring Holzfeller cranks with only the 104mm 4 bolt pattern, no 4x64mm granny holes drilled.

Those two chainrings are the only 30t that are somewhat available. still hard to find, but not impossible, like trying to get one from homebrewed.

The only other option I have found is to go to a double/triple crank, and use the granny location for a 64mm bolt circle 30t, which is a little more common, or a 28t or 26t, which is much more common.

or, you could go to a spiderless crank, but 28-30t spiderless chain rings aren't very common either.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Those two chainrings are the only 30t that are somewhat available. still hard to find, but not impossible, like trying to get one from homebrewed.
    I ordered both rings from those companies online and rec'd them in the post in about a week. Not fast like walking into my LBS, but not hard to get either.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    new one from raceface. narrow/wide pattern, to keep the chain on without a guide or front derailleur(clutch type rear derailleur recommended)
    Race Face 2013
    This looks like a nice option, that should not be too hard to find, and perfect for getting rid of that ugly chainguide on a 1x9, or 1x10.
    It doesn't look like they are in stock yet, but a great deal at $47 for a XX1 type chainring in a hard to find size with built in threads, no nuts needed.
    Universal Cycles -- Race Face Narrow Wide Chainrings - 9/10/11 Speed
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I ordered both rings from those companies online and rec'd them in the post in about a week. Not fast like walking into my LBS, but not hard to get either.
    Ok, good to know that those are readily available then. I have heard bad stories about trying to get 30t chainrings, especially from homebrewedcomponents.com. I have heard people complaining that they had not received them after months have passed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    so would this one fit on thee fatty ,just making sure before purchase I am still learning
    Raceface Single Narrow Wide Chainring 30T Blue | JE James Cyclesooh and some info I found do you think this is the one for on one fatty First Look: Race Face Shows 30T Narrow Wide 104 Chainring

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I ordered a 30 teeth one from wolf tooth Cycling. Ordered on friday and was sent saturday. ( i have a Fatty myself)
    These are also wide, narrow so you can drop the chainguide if you a have sram type2 or shadowplus from shimano.

What ever you do, don't order from homebrewedcomponents. I waited 5 months for a wrong chainring.

104 BCD Chainrings | wolftoothcycling.com
    Last edited by Tor; 07-19-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: wrong spelling:)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

thx but would like uk source

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I understand, but they are really fast with delivery. I live in Norway and got it yesterday Looks really good! The 30teeth weighs 37grams.

ouch....
    I use the andersen machine one...love it.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

thx guys ordered woolth tooth a few days i will let u know when it arrives and fitted.. thx again
    ps compared with 32t have many gear will i lose and gian thx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mounted the chainring today. Works perfect! I lost my chain all the time with the original chainring and chainguide. Removed the chainguide, and only lost the chain once on a very bumpy ride. (With xtr medium cageI'm waiting for my zee rear derailleur)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    thx for pic cant wait for mine now,
    how many links did you take out
    how many easier gears have you gained thxDID YOU HAVE TO BUY BIGGER CHAINRING BOLTS
    Last edited by stesteste; 07-20-2013 at 01:11 PM. Reason: MORE INFO

Tor
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Didn't remove any links at all. Will remove one or two when i get the zee derailleur. I don't think you need to remove any if you still use the sram. My sram was great but i broke mine this winter.

I used some original shimano bolts I had laying around because the original bolts don't fit.

How many gears I gained? Hmmm. It's 6.25% lighter with two teeth less:-) was all I needed:-) At least I used the other gears more on my last trip.