Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On One Fat Bike Frame

438K views 2K replies 291 participants last post by  qclabrat 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#1,616 ·
Dammit! Why did I start looking at this thread. I have 4 and a half bikes lying around the apartment (2 are my girlfriends) and I really do NOT need another bike yet I just cannot stop staring at Fat Bikes and the Fatty in particular. I think Charlie the Bikemonger summed it up best when he wrote this. So true....

WARNING....
The 12 Stages of Fat Biking
By Charlie The Bikemonger

Fat Curious Phase: See pictures of fat bikes, which stimulate fatbike-brain-worms to niggle away at your brain until you just have to actually get a ride on one.
Discovery Phase: Throw your leg over a fatbike and be pleasantly surprised. This feeds the brainworm until its powerful enough to take control of your wallet.
Buying Phase: you now wont a fat bike
Disinformation Phase: Lying to your wife about the true cost of the fat bike phase: it’s ok we all do it.
Getting To Know You Phase... Get yourself stronger and proving that fat bikes are best by beating geared folk up and down hill.
Modification Phase: where you just have to tweak the spec for really specific condition, even though it will be fine without the mods. There is a sub-phase of 7.1 called “bloody purple anodising phase”, but we won’t go there.
Beard Phase: you will now have a beard.
One Love Phase... Ignore your other bikes
Evangelist Phase... Become a fat bike evangelist and bang on about it on internet forums. Get angry at people who refuse to accept your offer of a ride on your fat bike. Moan about how skinny tyres destroy the trails. Heckle people whose bikes make them look fat, rather than thin.
Crusading Phase. Take the fat bike battle to the normal bike heathens by racing fat bikes in normal races.
Sloppy Emulators Phase: complaint about all mainstream brands building fat bikes, all the new people... “They are nothing more than sloppy emulators at best, who are all these new people, they weren’t there when it was cool, he doesn’t even know what an endomorph is FFS”.
Getting Over It Phase: Get over it, and quietly ride your fatbike while quietly mumbling it isn’t like it used to be.

That lot can take ten years or ten weeks.

#339 ·
There speaks a real expert. :thumbsup:

And when you use a telescopic fork, then there's big variations in the head angle anyway (as the suspension works).

Now if On-One produced an adjustable fork, we could all experiment with steering geometry, just like with suspension. Just think, with 100 adjustment points, we could have 99 chances of getting it totally wrong. :)

#826 ·
what is the orange rim strip? Is it something grime resistant, or is it ribbon?
Anyone know of what to use that will resist soiling while being available in multiple colors, and is fairly light?

I was thinking colored vinyl or cloth backed vinyl tape stuck sticky side to sticky side to a wider tape, so that the overlap can stick to the rim.
Is this what others are doing?
does it work well?

#865 ·
View attachment 750283
Got in plenty of desert riding on new years day. Some light snow, sandy washes, and super chunk rock. Only one pinch flat on the ride. I kept dropping pressures in the rough stuff and went too low up front.

Keep posting up pics of your rides please!
Do they now come with drilled rims, their HP say, non-drilled. I like the orange rimstrip looking through.

Nice bike, I can not wait until February for mine.

#1,256 ·
I was thinking about making one myself. I can share any plans when/if I get that far.

Speaking of...my rolling bundle has cleared customs in Vancouver. So now it needs to backtrack few thousand km's. Might get here this week, but unfortunately I'll be forced off the bike for at least a week on Friday.

#1,260 ·
If you ordered the rolling chassis bundle or floater tires separately they probably came attached to this piece of plastic.

But did you know instead of tossing this piece of packaging out it can be used as a front fender and the cut outs fit damn perfectly. Check it out !!

With a few extra cut outs to weave some Velcro ties to attach to fork you got yourself some cool fenders.

Ps: On One a suggestion is you can possibly get your tire manufacturer to improve graphics on the plastic to make it look cooler. And you can pay me later for the idea.

#1,293 ·
I have a medium Fatty with a 35mm stem.

I'm 5'10", and wear 32" inseam pants. I don't do long rides (20 miles tops), and I have a squished disc on my spine so I prefer more upright riding position.

The bike feels OK to me. I'd say it's perfect if I were more into XC type long rides and my back wasn't sore. But for my usage, I'd probably go with a small if I were to buy it again.

Never ridden a Pug so I can't offer any comparison.

#1,294 ·
I have a medium Fatty with a 35mm stem.

I'm 5'10", and wear 32" inseam pants. I don't do long rides (20 miles tops), and I have a squished disc on my spine so I prefer more upright riding position.

The bike feels OK to me. I'd say it's perfect if I were more into XC type long rides and my back wasn't sore. But for my usage, I'd probably go with a small if I were to buy it again.

Never ridden a Pug so I can't offer any comparison.
Awesome, thanks!

#1,599 ·
THIS POST SHOULD ANSWER ALL THE CONCERNS ABOUT THE FRAME.

The V2/Series 2 frame has been significantly beefed up in ALL the effected areas. The geo is exactly the same and the new frame design is MUCH cleaner. Do yourself a favor a get on a Fatty, you wont be sorry!

FYI My black Fatty is for sale in Australia ONLY. PM me for details.

#1,768 ·
Hey Tim,

I do have the stock V2 On One rear hub. My wheelset came with standard QR's and different, replaceable end caps, 12mm for the rear which I used in this case and 15mm for the front. The end caps that are used if I stick with the quick releases are 10mm at the end where they fit into the drop-outs. If those are removed, the opening in the hub axle is 12mm wide. This thru-axle that I found on eBay is 12mm X 170mm and just slides right thru the hub axle perfectly. As you can see in my pics above, it steps down to 10mm to fit the drop-outs just as the QR caps did. This thru axle that I found and the end caps that came with my wheels was all that was needed to do this. Well that and a little blue loctite on the drive side 12mm threaded cap to keep everything nice and tight. So far it has been great. Hope this helps.

Jason

#3 ·
Aluminum, yes.

Can't really see them, but it hints at having the swap outs. This would allow someone to get a single speed set up, and then trade out the drop outs for a geared set up when wanted.

Obviously we'll have to wait for more details, but I like the styling, and frame bags should work well with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.