Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

On One Fat Bike Frame

438K views 2K replies 291 participants last post by  qclabrat 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#1,772 ·
The bike on the far left is my Inbred 29er with the horizontal dropouts. I've had her set up as a rigid single speed, rigid geared and now she's got a 1x10 and a squishy fork on her. Still love that bike and ride it all the time. Definitely does look like raw steel in that one pic though

Attachments

#1,775 ·
I'm having the same issue with my rear wheel coming loose in the dropouts repeatedly after a few rides. I have the QR tight and the wheel seated in the droputs correctly, but after a few rides it will slip down a little on the drive side making the wheel not aligned correctly with the side knobs closer to the chainstay on the non drive side. Is this a QR issue or user error?

#1,781 ·
The black cap at the end of the freehub body is threaded, at least on my V2 wheels. It can be removed with a cone wrench. The non-drive side just pops off. Just make sure the drive side cap is nice and tight, then pop a new Hope skewer in there.

Attachments

#1,784 ·
So Bontrager Barbegazi won't fit on the rear on these bikes. Thought it might be small enough, smaller than Lou, but rubs on chain stay and chain on 1x. Might be able to space chain out, but not going to get past the rub.

anyone interested in a brand new 4.7 Barbegazi? lol

#1,789 ·
posting up my newly built fatty. i bought a fatty v2 frame and a fatty trail complete, and swapped the parts from the latter on to the former

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle frame

shortened the fork. headset took some figuring and frame prepping but pressed in fine. tried setting the wheels up tubeless but wasn't really impressed with the bead-seat i was able to get and didn't really feel like blowing stans all over the trails so i scrapped it. everything else swapped over fine

relevant geo numbers came out to 66.5* hta, 74* sta, 12.8" bb height. it's a bit short in the reach department but not too bad

only a couple of trail rides so far but it's a hoot. lots of traction on the ups and a freight train on the downs. my weekday rides involve getting dropped off at the trails and having to ride 15km/10mile home afterwards - more a slog than on my 29er HT, but not nearly as bad as i was expecting :)

first snow ride is tonight

#1,790 ·
posting up my newly built fatty. i bought a fatty v2 frame and a fatty trail complete, and swapped the parts from the latter on to the former

View attachment 1109409

shortened the fork. headset took some figuring and frame prepping but pressed in fine. tried setting the wheels up tubeless but wasn't really impressed with the bead-seat i was able to get and didn't really feel like blowing stans all over the trails so i scrapped it. everything else swapped over fine

relevant geo numbers came out to 66.5* hta, 74* sta, 12.8" bb height. it's a bit short in the reach department but not too bad

only a couple of trail rides so far but it's a hoot. lots of traction on the ups and a freight train on the downs. my weekday rides involve getting dropped off at the trails and having to ride 15km/10mile home afterwards - more a slog than on my 29er HT, but not nearly as bad as i was expecting :)

first snow ride is tonight
I'm eagerly waiting for my frame to build up. How tall are you? You get a 20"?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1,797 ·
So dumb question... I need to upgrade my crankset on this bike.

Going with race face aeffect 170mm.

Bottom bracket: looking at shimano XTR SM BB93 (not 100mm) but can I just toss the plastic sleeve or is that a bad idea?
Should I just look for something different for a bottom bracket?

#1,799 ·
been a while since I checked this thread, but my Fatty is still running strong, though has dropped down to a winter bike, since I've bought about 4-5 bikes in the last 2 years. But I'm starting to make small upgrades to from my original setup, primarily lighter goals. It's about a stout 36# right now, mostly rotational weight from the cheap Weinmann wheels and running tubes. I've found that I like my mtbs around 24-27# range, though I know that's not practical for this bike, but trying to drop about 4-5# without spending a whole lot of dough. What do your bikes weigh in at?

Just got a set of Rolling Darryls and will get the Floaters on them running tubes. Guess that will drop about 3-4# alone.

#1,800 ·
Glad to see people are still enjoying the On-One Fatty. I love this bike! I'm about 5'7+ and the small fits me like a glove. I bought the complete bike in 2012 and immediately ditched those SRAM brakes for Shimano XT, and replaced the X5 with X9 and went to 1x10 with a Race Face 30T NW ring.

About 6 months ago, I decided to convert it to 27.5+. I got Hope Pro 4 hubs (by the way, they do still make an RDS front hub) and WTB Scraper rims with WTB Ranger 3.0 tires. I'm loving this combo too.

Just today I received my new SRAM GX1 kit and I'll be making it into 1x11 with 11-46 Sunrace cassette. Will post pics when it's all done.

At this point, not much is original on the bike anymore (cranks, stem, seatpost and bars only), but it's still going strong and I have no urge to replace it.

#1,803 ·
Also interested in seeing how the Sunrace 11-46 turns out with the GX. Mine's got a 1x10 42T wolftooth and 30NW chainring. Seems to be fine for how I'm riding the bike now, which is less aggressive single track as I've recent built a 29+ for that purpose. The Fatty's just too heavy for when I need playful.

How much BB drop and wheelbase change did you get going to 27+? also which fork are you using?

#1,804 ·
Also interested in seeing how the Sunrace 11-46 turns out with the GX. Mine's got a 1x10 42T wolftooth and 30NW chainring. Seems to be fine for how I'm riding the bike now, which is less aggressive single track as I've recent built a 29+ for that purpose. The Fatty's just too heavy for when I need playful.

How much BB drop and wheelbase change did you get going to 27+? also which fork are you using?
The BB height and wheelbase were virtually unchanged - I did measure at the time, and it was really within a margin of error. I am using the On-One carbon rigid fork.

I just got done installing the new drivetrain. Every gear is working perfectly and shifting is silky smooth. I used to swear by Shimano cassettes only (even on SRAM drivetrains), but this Sunrace cassette is a quality piece - I'm impressed.

I bought the shifter, derailleur, and cassette as a package deal off eBay (vendor: mybicycleparts). Great deal and free shipping. I'm stoked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.