Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    get down!
    I would def. want it to be 170 rear, 100bb if there were to be any interest from me. Likely this will take too long to hash out and the Fatback with the sliders will have my $$
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ...Re Alfine hubs, the best solution woud be to make it possible to use a more offset cog to push the chainline out, rather than changing the overlocknut dimension, or having to engineer adapters...
    The problem with an offset cog on an Alfine is that the gearchange mechanism interferes. I have a 10mm offset cog which interferes. A smaller offset may work, but the problem with the large offset cogs is that they wobble and really are only suitable for beach cruiser type use.

Quote Originally Posted by moose2008 View Post
    I think that if the new on one fatbike is aiming more towards being a trail bike it wouldn't be essential to take BFL's and 100mm rims...
    That would make it obsolete immediately. A UK fatbike is going to see a lot of very soft conditions (not necessarily snow in the balmy south) and fatter tyres are the future IMO.

Swappable dropouts are the answer.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    For Alfine chain line woes, let's compare to a Rohloff. Widest chain line you will get there is 56mm with a 13T cog.

Assuming you are dealing with a non offset axle, you're limited to 80mm rims and 3.8" tires, and the tire/chain clearance will be very tight.

Can't really go much wider than that with 135mm OLD. Gear hubs are plainly too narrow for fat tires and symmetry. So until gear hubs get wider, we deal with asymmetry.

(I'm an IGH fanboy if anyone doesn't know)

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    For Alfine chain line woes, let's compare to a Rohloff. Widest chain line you will get there is 56mm with a 13T cog.

Assuming you are dealing with a non offset axle, you're limited to 80mm rims and 3.8" tires, and the tire/chain clearance will be very tight.

Can't really go much wider than that with 135mm OLD. Gear hubs are plainly too narrow for fat tires and symmetry. So until gear hubs get wider, we deal with asymmetry.

(I'm an IGH fanboy if anyone doesn't know)
    Exactly. This was my point in my earlier post. Well said.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've been using my Rohloff in a 47mm drilled out rim for about a year now on my pugs and have hammered it through all sorts and it's stood up to everything just fine.
    Maybe the answer, unfortunately is to go like 907 and have two different frames a 135 and a 170, though it would be good to have 1 frame for everyone.
    I know people worry about how nieche these bikes are but I think they'll really take off in the UK with some exposure and when people see them on normal trails. People just don't get it at the moment and think these bikes are just for the north pole and sahara desert.
    All of the people I ride with get why I ride it now and that's through the summer, when the filth comes they'll really get it.

Harmonius Wrench
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    you beat me to it!! I was about to post that link. Looks pretty damn good all built up.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I did that last night.

I like this angle. Looks like a trials frame.
    Attachment 640471
    Shiggy,
    The new frame and whole idea behind this bike looks great. I know the frame you just recieved is pre production, but are there plans for rack mounts at the back of the frame?

I just got my first ride on a fat bike the other day (Muk3 at Universal) and I am sold on the concept of fat tires on a rigid frame. I too would rather have a fat bike that is designed for all around riding vs. snow specific. On the Mukaluk, it was difficult to lift the front tire and I am hoping your (OnOne) design will make this a more playful bike. I was looking at going with a 29er front suspension bike for a winter mud / bike packing machine, but I think this option could be more fun.

Keep up the good work.
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member

Bump

Is the bike built up yet? I would be willing to take it out for a ride and offer my opinions.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Lots of people have been riding "my" bike. Not me though. Brant won't give it back ;-)

I don't think there are going to be many changes to the frame. The £999 bike looks to be a very good spec. Not sure how much I can say though...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    shaggyjohn - £999 sounds like a great deal - but will there be a frame only option ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The idea was to be full bike to start with, followed by frame (and forks and parts) later.

Harmonius Wrench
    Latest view of the On One fat bike from the Hit The North news section announcing a fat bike category for their event.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-one-fat-bike-proto-2.jpg  

Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hrmm, swap-outs for symm. 135mm wheel would allow those 29-inclined to swap in any standard wagon wheels at will.

can I trademark "wagon-wheels-at-will"? as the official name for fatbikes easily modded to fit 29er wheels?

I digress: I'm not into 29ers myself anymore, but there's enough puggners around to make me think some people like them.

me? I want a nate out back, and my 36 talas with gazzaloddi up front.

Also: everything still in track for april? (brant said "less than 6 months" about 4 weeks ago so...)
    Last edited by byknuts; 11-22-2011 at 09:09 PM.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'd like a 29" rear wheel setup to keep the role speed acceptable and a fat front, i've ran a 3" Gaz with a carbon fork on the front rides quite nicely but would like the full 4"+ 60mm Rims area for max low pressure so role on On One stocking Fat forks and wheels and tires!!!

mtbr member

mtbr member
    A few photos from this Flickr set taken at The London Bike Show yesterday.

mtbr member
    I love the no photography stickers you have captured so well...

mtbr member
    Hahaha...I didn't notice the symbol until you pointed it out.

A Surly Maverick
    Frame looks great as it is.........now sort the FORK out
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

Harmonius Wrench
    And this little bit comes from Bike radar's London Bike Show coverage:

On One's mission to do for the fat bike market what they did for singlespeeding looks one step further ahead as the British company were again showing their fat bike prototype. It’ll be officially launched on the longest day of the year – 21 June – to underline that it’s a ‘fat bike’ rather than a ‘snow bike’. Endurance racer John ‘Shaggy’ Ross has been helping with development. On-One will be selling it as a complete bike only and are aiming for around £1,000 complete.
    So, there ya go: Complete only and will be available this coming summer. I'm sure that bums some folks out who were looking to get just a frame set.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    That rear hub certainly looks familiar... is the geometry from Sandman too ?

Oji
    Jun 2008

Stoked

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    So, there ya go: Complete only and will be available this coming summer. I'm sure that bums some folks out who were looking to get just a frame set.
    Jumping on the theme of drool factor max here, the announced June release is rocking my world because I decided to put my fat bike jones back into the closet immediately upon learning of development of this frame back in the fall. Presently in NC and likely more time in OR in the future, I'm looking at a fatty as another bike in the trail riding stable along with my Turner 5.Spot and not necessarily as a snow bike. I would like to jump on the purchase list ASAP, so I'm curious as to the availability in the USA, and I would be grateful for any information in that regard, including money up front for pre-orders as an option, whenever those decisions are made by On One.

Complete only is a minor drag, but so be it. All of us eventually make bikes our own in some form anyway.

Cliff

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    If it will sell as a complete for £1,000, then i think i will start saving my pennies for a little trip to the UK this summer !

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Not for me. I'll wait for a SS specific frame..........

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    As in horizontal dropouts and/or an ebb ?

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Yep, horizontal......

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by twangcat View Post
    Jumping on the theme of drool factor max here, the announced June release is rocking my world because I decided to put my fat bike jones back into the closet immediately upon learning of development of this frame back in the fall. Presently in NC and likely more time in OR in the future, I'm looking at a fatty as another bike in the trail riding stable along with my Turner 5.Spot and not necessarily as a snow bike. I would like to jump on the purchase list ASAP, so I'm curious as to the availability in the USA, and I would be grateful for any information in that regard, including money up front for pre-orders as an option, whenever those decisions are made by On One.

Complete only is a minor drag, but so be it. All of us eventually make bikes our own in some form anyway.

Cliff
    We will be receiving the Fat Bike in Portland about the same time as it arrives in the UK. Preorders will be available once we have a firm delivery date (meaning when the container is on the water).
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    That rear hub certainly looks familiar... is the geometry from Sandman too ?
    Hardly. I am responsible for the design/geometry. Never looked at the Sandman specs.
    mtbtires.com

Racing Snake
    Jun 2009
    Having ridden the one Shaggy had at SSUK, I can say it's going to be a hoot. Very different from my Pugsley. But I'll still wait for a SS version.............

mtbr member

Rack mounts?

Hey Shiggy,

I forgot to ask you a couple of questions when we were on the Brown's camp ride. Will this frame and fork be getting rack attachment points? Also, will there be a raw/no clearcoat version available?

This frame looks even better in the flesh. I can't comment on the ride because the frame was too small for me and was wearing drop bars.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba13 View Post
    Hey Shiggy,

I forgot to ask you a couple of questions when we were on the Brown's camp ride. Will this frame and fork be getting rack attachment points? Also, will there be a raw/no clearcoat version available?

This frame looks even better in the flesh. I can't comment on the ride because the frame was too small and was wearing drop bars.

Thanks.
    Do not know yet. I think it should have them.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Shiggy-
    I imagine the whole build spec might be in flux for a while, or do the photos accurately show what to expect? I thought On One was working on their own rim design. Can you speak to that a bit?

Oji
    Jun 2008
    We will be receiving the Fat Bike in Portland about the same time as it arrives in the UK. Preorders will be available once we have a firm delivery date (meaning when the container is on the water).
    Thanks for this info, Shiggy. I'll keep an eye out. Is a listing of the build spec and any possible options likely as well at some point?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shiggy, what will be your largest frame ?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Hardly. I am responsible for the design/geometry. Never looked at the Sandman specs.
    Just wondering, from the article, the pictures here and on On One's website. John Ross was sponsored a frame and a rare DTSwiss 165mm rear hub by Sandman for last years Iditabike. He's now apparently helping On One with the design of their new fatbike, aimed at trailriding too. And his Sandman wheels are in the On One prototype... so excuse me for asking (with a wink) that save for the components, other things might have drifted over too ?

But basically I'm more interested in how you adapted a 165mm hub to 170mm spacing and align the brake caliper ? Other 12mm thru-axle insert which offsets it to the left - I can't see any spacers on the rear brake caliper ?

mtbr member
    ...so excuse me for asking (with a wink) that save for the components, other things might have drifted over too ?...
    I think you'll find that On-One have been moving to steeper HAs long before this bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobytao View Post
    Shiggy-
    I imagine the whole build spec might be in flux for a while, or do the photos accurately show what to expect? I thought On One was working on their own rim design. Can you speak to that a bit?
    The builds you see are mostly using existing components. We will have our own for production. Brant is working on them.
    mtbtires.com

Just wondering, from the article, the pictures here and on On One's website. John Ross was sponsored a frame and a rare DTSwiss 165mm rear hub by Sandman for last years Iditabike. He's now apparently helping On One with the design of their new fatbike, aimed at trailriding too. And his Sandman wheels are in the On One prototype... so excuse me for asking (with a wink) that save for the components, other things might have drifted over too ?

But basically I'm more interested in how you adapted a 165mm hub to 170mm spacing and align the brake caliper ? Other 12mm thru-axle insert which offsets it to the left - I can't see any spacers on the rear brake caliper ?
    The frame, as shown, is 100% my design. The first I heard of John is when Brant introduction him to me (via email) as a tester of the bike.

I do not know what they used on the UK bike. The frame does have Swapouts, easy to add a spacer.

The DT hub is more common in the US as Santana uses them on their tandems.
    mtbtires.com

local trails rider
    Is that fork finish a new option, or just for prototypes?

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The frame, as shown, is 100% my design. The first I heard of John is when Brant introduction him to me (via email) as a tester of the bike.

I do not know what they used on the UK bike. The frame does have Swapouts, easy to add a spacer.

The DT hub is more common in the US as Santana uses them on their tandems.
    Fair enough, apparently John footed Sandman parts to put the On One showbike in the UK together. They just might have done it a bit more subtle with sponsored parts . John even shoulders his Sandman standing in water on the On One website (but then, the picture below that is his old Pugs...):
    Fat bike proto in testing | Products | News - On One Bikes
    They not only lacked parts, but also "action" pictures when putting that page together .

I'm puzzled though about why they keep that 165mm hub (which has been discontinued for at least 3 years by DT Swiss, they're VERY rare) in your 170mm frame. Apart from it being a bombproof hub with a freewheel easy to service.
    From the looks of it they added a 5mm spacer/derailleur hanger to the right, between the cassette and the frame. Which kind of puts the chain/tire clearance down the drain.
    It's got even less chain clearance now than a regular 165mm frame, kind of the opposite what a Pugs does with a 135mm hub.
    Other than getting it ready in a hurry for the show, I can't figure out a practical reason?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Hey Conrad, yeah, that's your hub! The original build, other than f&f and headset, was all stuff I had here. It had a Hadley rear hub on Flat-tops. The build pictured up there has a few of the parts I have been using but On-one put their finishing kit on for the show. The final bike is going to have pretty much all different parts. I've been running the On-one rim on the front for a while but was struggling to get a well priced 170 hub. That frame and hub are spaced on both sides to get it to work, like you say-; its not optimum, it's not a design feature, it was just done because it was a nice hub that was about and I was in a rush!

I'm still riding the Gobi as well- sporting SC32s now. Lots of fun :-)

mtbr member
    What rear hub will the complete bike be supplied with?
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    And to be 100% clear- the design was by Shiggy. I haven't changed any angles or dimensions. I haven't even compaired angles or dimensions. It rides quite differently to the Gobi. I'd guess seat tube diametes and the bb were the only common factors.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Still TBC I think. We have 2 that we have been talking about. It'll be one you haven't seen and will be On-one branded. Both are very nice.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    @ Shaggyjohn: in what way does the On One frame ride differently from the Gobi?

mtbr member
    Beautiful!

A Surly Maverick
    This frame would look great with the tapered steerer Fatback carbon fork .......
    A Fatback'd Lefty for who life IS a Beach

mtbr member
    I want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ilove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast