Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by col200 View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't get the chain keeper? What gives?
    US supplied bikes seem to have shipped without them. I shall chase this issue for you if you can give me your full name.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I will change my Fatty to 2*10 speed system with Truvativ Husselelt 32/22 or Holzfeller 32/22 cranks,
    which are 9 speed specific. I will use normal Shimano SLX down pull front mech and I change lower limit screw to 30 mm long, because I am advised it works so. Which one works better in this compination 9 s or 10 s front mech ?.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    US supplied bikes seem to have shipped without them. I shall chase this issue for you if you can give me your full name.
    Mine didn't arrive with one either (nor the white bars, showed up with black ones)

I contacted Titus about the chain guide and was told they were delayed, and that I would receive one when they arrived. Sounds good, waiting patiently now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    My Fatty didn't have the chainguide either. I've already switched it to 2X.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I just got email that chainguides are being shipped out now.

Has anyone drilled and tapped the Holzfeller crank yet?

I noticed in the instructions for the Howitzer BB, there is supposed to be one spacer on the right side, or a chainguide/shiftguide. Is the BB perhaps preloaded too much without it?

Edit: I see now, the left bearing is slip fit, radial loaded only, and the right bearing takes care of the thrust, so there is no preload adjustment.
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 01-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

On One Fatty vs Muk2

I needed another fat bike to complement my Fatty. So, no more being available, I bought a Mukluk 2. Well, it's faster, but no where near as well thought out as the Fatty-and for more than twice as much. Sheesh. I wanted to set up a Fatty with lighter wheels, and see what that did, and wish I could've. It has way nicer stuff-meaning the Fatty- if you don't compare the crankset and wheels of the Muk2. Nothing else is anywhere near as nice. I hope On One brings out a lighter Fatty with faster/lighter wheels and a nice ethirteen crank. That, would be killer! Thanks On One for a killer Fat Bike!!

mtbr member
    Here's my inaction shot from the first ride. I still have to lower the pressure more in the tyres. I'm looking forward to getting a front derailleur and small chainring as I'm too unfit to climb some of the usual hills.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-fatty-first-ride.jpg  

mtbr member

Fatty on the lake

This bike is so damn fun!
    (well, picture is taken along the shoreline)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-fattylakeside.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Has anyone else noticed that the brake pads are about 3-4mm further from center than the rotor?
    Have I mucked something up when I put it together?
    It is like this front and rear, like the caliper brackets are designed for a rotor that is a bit larger.
    I can see the wear pattern on the rotor is off the outside edge, and there is a section of rotor below the pad that is not getting contact.
    I am sure the pads will wear with a good bit on top not getting any wear, and eventually may touch each other over top of the disc before the pad is totally worn, resulting in no braking force.
    Can the lower cups for the spherical washers be changed out for thinner ones?

Do I need bigger rotors, or different brackets?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bad andy View Post
    Mine didn't arrive with one either (nor the white bars, showed up with black ones)

I contacted Titus about the chain guide and was told they were delayed, and that I would receive one when they arrived. Sounds good, waiting patiently now.
    When I ordered mine the specs said black el guapos came standard. The UK site allowed you to customize a few items, including a choice of handlebar color, seat type and color, grip type and color, etc.

I went ahead and ordered a white Mary bar. It looks great, and is very comfortable, while allowing very good steering control without being too wide, and is cheap(around $25). It is also lighter than most alt bars.

As you can see, I had to use all the spacers I could fit on an uncut steerer to get the 37mm rise Mary to seat height. I don't like the way it looks, but I am comfortable with it, and am not afraid of damaging the steerer. I am quite certain the handlebar would bend before the steel steerer tube ever would. But it still looks odd. I also have a 5.75" carbon BMX bar coming, that will give the same height with no spacers, but I will loose the nice swept back hand position. I will try them, but if my wrists don't like it, I will switch back before cutting the steerer.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-imag0169.jpg  

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the brake pads are about 3-4mm further from center than the rotor?
    It is like this front and rear, like the caliper brackets are designed for a rotor that is a bit larger.
    I can see the wear pattern on the rotor is off the outside edge, and there is a section of rotor below the pad that is not getting contact.
    I am sure the pads will wear with a good bit on top not getting any wear, and eventually may touch each other over top of the disc before the pad is totally worn, resulting in no braking force.

Avid brake rotors used to be 185 & 165mm. The rotor specs for the Fatty say 180F & 160R and interestingly the adapter specs say the same. Maybe Avid changed the size of their rotors to follow everyone else. That might explain the extra gap, especially if the adapters were for 185F & 165R (this should be printed on the inside of the adapter).

Having said all that crap, as long as the pads remain parallel with the rotor, you can remove the adjustable washers between the adapter and the calliper (both above and below). Forks (steel in particular) are known for having alignment issues with the 74mm IS mounts and this is why manufacturers use the adjustable washers. I'm not suggesting for an instant the On-One fork is affected in this way.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Given that in my local trails there's a small amount of stigma given to any on one bike, im pretty certain this will break that usual stereotype... They're actually very nice looking bikes.
    Any news on when you can buy separate parts?

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesabaldwin View Post
    Given that in my local trails there's a small amount of stigma given to any on one bike...
    Really? I've never encountered anything like that anywhere.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Yeah, seriously. Maybe its a select group of riders around here then, middle England posh and rich folk, the rarer a piece of kit is tends to shine more than technical ability... Its quite pathetic really and im a big fan of on one inbred and scandal frames so I try to distance myself from them

nothing to see here
    That's sad. I hope that changes with this bike.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Me too, it looks like a beaut. Im aching to get one but may wait for the next revision

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I don't know that it needs anything. Wait long enough and I'm sure the price will go up. Someone asked earlier, and On One replied there were no changes coming on the second batch, as I read the response. The frame is beyond great. All the bike needs is a light set of wheels and a high end($$$$$$) crankset to be a world beater. I also have a Mukluk 2 and the parts and set up/design? are not good. The OnOne Fatty was set up way better than my muk and that was with at least 2 shop mechanics going over it(muk). I can't say enough good about the Fatty. It's like the Fatty was made by the best builders and the Muk was spec'd in some cut-rate Chinese shop. Sorry Salsa, but that's the way it looks in the first week of ownership.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesabaldwin View Post
    Given that in my local trails there's a small amount of stigma given to any on one bike, im pretty certain this will break that usual stereotype...
    Blimey, you must have a lot of elite top earning mtb xc superstars in your area, but actually most of those I've met can do the job on any bike.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

get down!
    Is the effective top tube length on the biggest frame really just 24"? I need 24.5"-25"
    Rudy Projects look ridiculous

visit my blog, BEATS, BIKES & LIFE

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by appleSSeed View Post
    Is the effective top tube length on the biggest frame really just 24"? I need 24.5"-25"
    I usually ride a 24.5 ETT on all my bikes with a 90-100mm stem. I went with the 70mm stem and 745 mm bars on mine with the large frame. Fits me fine FWIW. Im all torso and short legs. My buddy who rides a size up from me can ride it fine as there is plenty of seatpost to raise up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post

Rear
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357493773.402307.jpg
Views: 1459
Size:  23.7 KB

Front
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357493805.116595.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  20.1 KB

Mine are lined up with the rotors. But it all came preassembled from On-One. I did have to bleed my rear brake because lever was going to the bar on the first pull, but otherwise no braking issues. Let me know if you want other pics or info.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 127 View Post
    I will change my Fatty to 2*10 speed system with Truvativ Husselelt 32/22 or Holzfeller 32/22 cranks,
    which are 9 speed specific. I will use normal Shimano SLX down pull front mech and I change lower limit screw to 30 mm long, because I am advised it works so. Which one works better in this compination 9 s or 10 s front mech ?.
    I did it yesterday and it works very well.

I did 25 km today, no problem. The cranks and derailleurs 9 or 10 speeds are not really different. The size of the teeth and the inside width of the chain are exactly the same in 9 and 10 speed, only the external width of the chain changes, but very few.
    French. In France .Near Paris. Yes, really.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    So I finally got my fatty a couple of weeks ago, but other than a few spins around the block/local park I've not had time to put her through her paces..I've finally managed to get out of work / bed (flu) today and gave her a spin - nothing too serious, but enough to keep me grinning for hours.

Impressions:
    - got her with a bent front rotor... need to replace that, not even going to try and contact On-One for the sake of a rotor.. might get an orange set hehe.

- Avid Elixirs... mine needs to be pumped up before anything happens... will give them a bleed, but I think they might be on their way out, to be replaced with something trustworthy.

- she's heavy, around 39 with the large option - will deffo look at the lighter tubes and maybe even drilling as per Shiggy's vid...tubeless...?

- broke my wrist a few years ago and I can feel it with the front, might look into the Lefty conversion

- not 100% sure I got the pressures dialed in perfectly, but I got the wheels super pumped and let a fair bit out, still not getting much of a dampening in the front.

Other than that it's bundle of fun that just keeps giving! It grips like nothing I've played with before, only once managed to get her to shift her arse sideways and that was no more than an inch, it's a bulldozer over rocky sections.

All and all I absolutely love the bike

See the clip of her first outing!
    https://vimeo.com/56869393

https://vimeo.com/56869393
    Last edited by fyford; 01-06-2013 at 02:57 PM.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I consider this one of the nicest looking fat frames.

mtbr member
    So I missed out on the first batch and would like to get in on the next. I notice that the UK site allows preordering but the US (where I am) site does not. What's the deal?

Page 36 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 46 ... LastLast