Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536
Results 1,751 to 1,783 of 1783
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    Thanks, yes, the rear spacing front hub is a bit of a PITA these days.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what do do with my Fatty. I'm just shy of 5'10" or just a hair under and on my 16" frame I find myself slightly cramped. This is with 60mm stem and 12mm setback Twelfty seatpost. I feel like I would be happier on an 18", but unsure if I should get 18" frame, swap over everything and try to sell 16" V1 frame. Or just get rid of the Fatty and get a different bike. Rear spaced front hub, no through axles and 170mm rear end are feeling a little outdated to be spending a lot of cash on imo.

I would also like to get a 29er wheelset for commuting this spring/summer and would not mind the carbon fork for looks and weight savings. (This thing is over 35lbs now). On top of that I would like to try few bikepacking trips this summer and the bike can serve as a loaner for friends couple times a year, so could have a few other uses apart from main snow/winter duty. I do have a Giant Trance for summer already. For bikepacking, I would think (especially the 18") can fit a decent size frame bag unlike my Trance.

Trance - summer rig
    Fatty - winter rig mainly, bikepacking?, commuter?, loaner for friends, occasional summer use for fun

Just to put in perspective, mine is full XT 2x10 build with e13 crank, BB7's, studded Dillingers 4s, and also Floaters.

I guess I could just get 18" V2 frame and try to sell 16" V1 if there even is market for one? I could live with skipping on the carbon fork to save some cash there. Still another $500 CAD for skinny wheelset with tires and $400+CAD for frame shipped minus whatever I get for the V1. Just have hard time seeing it as cost effective. My head is spinning from all this by now, and I'm probably not thinking clear about this anymore.

Do I just sell and get/build something else? Thanks for any advice.
    I'm just under 5'10 on an 18" with a 70mm stem and straight post and feel like it fits well. I think I would be cramped on a 16". The 18" would likely be a better fir for you
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    This thread needs more pictures..
    Still trying to decide which tires to go too.

On One Fat Bike Frame-park.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	park.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	495.7 KB 
ID:	1056994
    Here's some new pics. Just rebuilt the 29+ front wheel with a thru-axle compatible hub to go with the new fork. Trusty Evo456 hanging around in the the background.

On One Fat Bike Frame-img_2059.jpgOn One Fat Bike Frame-img_2062.jpg
    On One Fat Bike Frame-img_1911.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Name:	park.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	495.7 KB 
ID:	1056994
    On One Fat Bike Frame-2015-12-24_zps7e9fvzta.jpg

Last edited by kryten; 03-16-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	333.8 KB 
ID:	1057118

Name:	2015-12-24_zps7e9fvzta.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	304.9 KB 
ID:	1057017
    Agreed
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    Here's some new pics. Just rebuilt the 29+ front wheel with a thru-axle compatible hub to go with the new fork. Trusty Evo456 hanging around in the the background.

Name:	IMG_2059.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	319.4 KB 
ID:	1057009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2062.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	224.8 KB 
ID:	1057010

Name:	IMG_1911.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	213.4 KB 
ID:	1057008
    Am I reading that right? 29+ on a On*One Fatty? I thought that had been tried and failed...if that fits then I'm looking at building that up for mine

Can you post a couple rear clearance pics with the 29+ wheels?
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dopler View Post
    Am I reading that right? 29+ on a On*One Fatty? I thought that had been tried and failed...if that fits then I'm looking at building that up for mine

Can you post a couple rear clearance pics with the 29+ wheels?
    Only place it's tight is the chainstay bridge. Tons of room everywhere else. I put a little frame protector there to save wear and tear. Running Innova Vidars on Blunt 35 rims. Currently with tubes, at 12-15psi.

On One Fat Bike Frame-img_2061.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    29+ fits tight but can be done. Under the On One carbon forks no probs at all. As mentioned, the chain stay bridge does get close.

My new setup is Nextie Jungle Fox 52mm carbon rims and Maxxis Chronicle 3.0.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-20160318_085801.jpg  

On One Fat Bike Frame-20160316_164211.jpg  

KARMA will get YOU & YOU know who you are.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That Nextie 29+ setup looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharcyde View Post
    29+ fits tight but can be done. Under the On One carbon forks no probs at all. As mentioned, the chain stay bridge does get close.

My new setup is Nextie Jungle Fox 52mm carbon rims and Maxxis Chronicle 3.0.
    That looks great!

So, I'm not up to the plus sizes, but why the 29+?
    Is it because it's a faster rolling almost fat tire? Or is there some other reason I don't know about. Assuming it gives most of the benefits of fast without the downfalls, plus faster?

mtbr member
    That looks great!

So, I'm not up to the plus sizes, but why the 29+?
    Is it because it's a faster rolling almost fat tire? Or is there some other reason I don't know about. Assuming it gives most of the benefits of fast without the downfalls, plus faster?
    Taller tire for better rollover combined with 12-15psi really smooths out tech trails with rocks and roots. Also a bigger contact patch for better traciton when compared to a regular 29er. Not as much weight or rolling resistance than a full fat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    Taller tire for better rollover combined with 12-15psi really smooths out tech trails with rocks and roots. Also a bigger contact patch for better traciton when compared to a regular 29er. Not as much weight or rolling resistance than a full fat.
    Nailed it!
    KARMA will get YOU & YOU know who you are.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014

27.5 plus

But why are people choosing 29+ over 27.5+?
    Isn't 29+ putting the BB a bit high?
    The Fatty was designed around 26x4 tires. So according to the attached chart 27.5+ is the same diameter as 26x4 and should fit the Fatty better than 29+, right?
    Anyone having experience with 27.5+ on the Fatty?
    On One Fat Bike Frame-15_sept_ontheplusside_header2.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatdabike View Post
    But why are people choosing 29+ over 27.5+?
    Isn't 29+ putting the BB a bit high?
    The Fatty was designed around 26x4 tires. So according to the attached chart 27.5+ is the same diameter as 26x4 and should fit the Fatty better than 29+, right?

Name:	15_Sept_OnThePlusSide_header2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	1060385
    Honestly, it's because I already had the wheels when I bought my Fatty frame. It does raise the BB a little, but I haven't had any ill effects. If anything, I notice more pedal strikes when I go back to the fat wheels. I do like the rollover/ approach angle of the larger diameter tires. Of course all bets are off now that I put a suspension fork on the front. Having to adjust to a taller/slacker front end with either wheelset.

Mayor of Waterdog
    MTB Tools Mtn Bike 12mm x 170mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm QR Wheel Adapter | eBay

Found this thru-axle on eBay for my Fatty wheel set. Just installed it and it fits perfectly. I've had my fatty for 2 months and I've already needed a warranty replacement freehub body. The drive side end cap worked loose allowing the freehub body to move enough for the ratchet ring inside the hub body to chew up the alloy freehub body. I'd had the same thing happen to my SunRingle hub that I have on my Inbred and they sent me this exact same type of thru-bolt. Haven't had any problems with my SunRingle wheels in the 2 years since. Very stoked that I found this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpeg  

On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpeg  

“Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.” ~ Hallman

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Is there any rear rack that can be mounted to this frame since the frame does not have any eyelets?

Will something like this be best option if any?

Phat Sherpa Rear 170mm Hub-Mounted 5mm Quick Release with Clamps - Old Man Mountain specializes in Racks designed to work on all bikes.

Since as usual I'm on a budget, looking at the Axiom Fatliner or Blackburn Outpost.

Fatliner - Streamliner - Racks - Products - Axiom Cycling Gear

OUTPOST FAT BIKE RACK
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    MTB Tools Mtn Bike 12mm x 170mm thru Axle to Standard 5mm QR Wheel Adapter | eBay

Found this thru-axle on eBay for my Fatty wheel set. Just installed it and it fits perfectly. I've had my fatty for 2 months and I've already needed a warranty replacement freehub body. The drive side end cap worked loose allowing the freehub body to move enough for the ratchet ring inside the hub body to chew up the alloy freehub body. I'd had the same thing happen to my SunRingle hub that I have on my Inbred and they sent me this exact same type of thru-bolt. Haven't had any problems with my SunRingle wheels in the 2 years since. Very stoked that I found this.
    Ol Bromy, can you explain this a bit more.

Do you have the standard hub and you replaced its 10 mm axle with the 12 mm through axle from MTB tools? What I don't understand is how the 12 mm axle fits in the existing bearings that are made for a 10 mm axle. Did you also replace the end caps as I assume the originals are built for a 100 mm axle.

Thanks

Tim

Mayor of Waterdog
    Hey Tim,

I do have the stock V2 On One rear hub. My wheelset came with standard QR's and different, replaceable end caps, 12mm for the rear which I used in this case and 15mm for the front. The end caps that are used if I stick with the quick releases are 10mm at the end where they fit into the drop-outs. If those are removed, the opening in the hub axle is 12mm wide. This thru-axle that I found on eBay is 12mm X 170mm and just slides right thru the hub axle perfectly. As you can see in my pics above, it steps down to 10mm to fit the drop-outs just as the QR caps did. This thru axle that I found and the end caps that came with my wheels was all that was needed to do this. Well that and a little blue loctite on the drive side 12mm threaded cap to keep everything nice and tight. So far it has been great. Hope this helps.

Jason
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.” ~ Hallman

mtbr member
    Thanks Jason, That clears it up.

Tim

Mayor of Waterdog
    Finally got around to drilling my Fatty wheels. Shaved somewhere in the range of 3/4 lb off of her.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpg  

On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Is the frame in the 2nd pic to the left of the fatty the raw steel the 45650b?

Cool.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Mayor of Waterdog
    The bike on the far left is my Inbred 29er with the horizontal dropouts. I've had her set up as a rigid single speed, rigid geared and now she's got a 1x10 and a squishy fork on her. Still love that bike and ride it all the time. Definitely does look like raw steel in that one pic though

mtbr member
    Gotcha, love the 2nd pic with the mud wiped away. Cheers!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Thanks man. Cheers

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm having the same issue with my rear wheel coming loose in the dropouts repeatedly after a few rides. I have the QR tight and the wheel seated in the droputs correctly, but after a few rides it will slip down a little on the drive side making the wheel not aligned correctly with the side knobs closer to the chainstay on the non drive side. Is this a QR issue or user error?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

Mayor of Waterdog
    I'm having the same issue with my rear wheel coming loose in the dropouts repeatedly after a few rides. I have the QR tight and the wheel seated in the droputs correctly, but after a few rides it will slip down a little on the drive side making the wheel not aligned correctly with the side knobs closer to the chainstay on the non drive side. Is this a QR issue or user error?
    V2 wheels? I'd remove the rear wheel, pull off the cassette and check that the threaded cap that holds the freehub body on is tight. When you have the cap off, put a drop of blue thread lock on the threads to keep it tight.

mtbr member
    I had the same problem with my front wheel and fixed as described here: On-One Fatty front wheel retention

Tim

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Classical issue with On-One QR which are a low quality aluminium. I had the same. Easily fixed by replacing the QR by a Hope QR which hold the Wheel much better ;-)

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by zozzo69 View Post
    Classical issue with On-One QR which are a low quality aluminium. I had the same. Easily fixed by replacing the QR by a Hope QR which hold the Wheel much better ;-)
    I replaced my stock QRs with the hope guys too after on time I noticed my rear wheel had worked loose mid ride and I had to really man handle the stock QR to tighten it enough to not feel any play and damn near crushed the QR nylon bushing in the process. When I got home I discovered that drive-side threaded cap had worked loose. The hope skewers are much nicer and will likely hold the wheel much better as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for all suggestions, I will have to take off the cassette and inspect although not 100% sure what I'm looking for, but may just get it once I'm looking at it. Otherwise I may just get a Hope skewer at some point.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

Mayor of Waterdog
    The black cap at the end of the freehub body is threaded, at least on my V2 wheels. It can be removed with a cone wrench. The non-drive side just pops off. Just make sure the drive side cap is nice and tight, then pop a new Hope skewer in there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    The black cap at the end of the freehub body is threaded, at least on my V2 wheels. It can be removed with a cone wrench. The non-drive side just pops off. Just make sure the drive side cap is nice and tight, then pop a new Hope skewer in there.
    Awesome, thanks. Now I know exactly what to check. Will order a new Hope skewer anyway. I have V1 frame and wheels.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eatdabike View Post
    I've been on 27+ since last July and am diggin it. I would have gone 29+ but didn't want to shell out a bunch of money only to find out that I couldn't fit a rear wheel in there.

in fat mode on the dunes

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536