Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,750 of 1783
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Got2Bike View Post
    Attachment 1014360
    For anyone considering the Fatty, get one. It's the most fun bike I've ever owned. Mine is a V2, which I have slightly customized. (Built from the ground up) My next step will be to build a 27.5+ wheelset. I have a spare wheelset, and will use hubs to lace them on a set of WTB Scraper rims. Has anyone build it as a 27.5+?
    Did you ever end up finishing this 27.5+ project on the Fatty?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    I finally got some 4.8" Jumbo Jims Lite Skins. Fit fine on the original rims & running 1x10 with tubes for now. At least 1/4" clearance on the chain.

2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    For those of you running a 1x10 setup, whats the largest ring you've used on the fron with a good chainline?

Right now I'm running a 30t on the front and the chain is straight when on the 6th cog on the back, and I want to try an oval ring but I don't want it to foul the frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Double post

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by deuxdiesel View Post
    Not a chance. The Knard 3.0 on a R/H hits the chainstay bridge. No amount of trimming will get it to fit.
    Speaking of clearance, can someone please measure the chainstays' width for the fatty v2 frame? I am trying to measure crank arm clearance. Anyone??Attachment 1046711
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-crank-clearance.jpg  

Mayor of Waterdog
    Quote Originally Posted by Estuche View Post
    Speaking of clearance, can someone please measure the chainstays' width for the fatty v2 frame? I am trying to measure crank arm clearance. Anyone??Attachment 1046711
    5-7/8" on my V2 from outside to outside of chainstays measured at the spot on the stays where horizontal crank arms rest. Good luck on your build!
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.” ~ Hallman

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Bromy View Post
    5-7/8" on my V2 from outside to outside of chainstays measured at the spot on the stays where horizontal crank arms rest. Good luck on your build!
    Thanks, much appreciated!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post
    I finally got some 4.8" Jumbo Jims Lite Skins. Fit fine on the original rims & running 1x10 with tubes for now. At least 1/4" clearance on the chain.

Awesome, looking at these for my next tires. Glad to see they fit the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    Awesome, looking at these for my next tires. Glad to see they fit the rear.
    I had a blast Saturday doing 22 miles on my beaches. I think I will try tubeless out soon.
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

What pedals are those?

Good info. I'm still on 2x10, but looks like once I go 1x I should be able to fit Flowbeist/Dunderbeist or VanHelgas or Dillinger 5's without issues.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kryten View Post
    What pedals are those?

Good info. I'm still on 2x10, but looks like once I go 1x I should be able to fit Flowbeist/Dunderbeist or VanHelgas or Dillinger 5's without issues.
    Wellgo MG-1s
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Wellgo MG-1s
    Thanks, they seem like a perfect color match.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBLoCo29 View Post
    What size frame and what size frame bag is that?

Iberia medium for me.

On 18" frame?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    What size frame and what size frame bag is that?

On 18" frame?
    Yes on the frame & medium on the bag.
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hmm...I'm thinking I may even be able to fit large Ibera bag on 18" frame? Trying to get this thing ready for bike packing this summer on the cheap.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Pic of the Fatty on the snow

Custom flat black paint. Got the decals off eBay
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpeg  

Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Hmm...I'm thinking I may even be able to fit large Ibera bag on 18" frame? Trying to get this thing ready for bike packing this summer on the cheap.
    It's a tight fit. The silver piping on the perimeter rubbed down to the metal on the downtube just above the BB. The bag sits right on the downtube, so I would put some protective tape down before installing. Keep soft stuff like spare tubes in the bottom, not hard/heavy stuff like tools or pumps or you can hear them hitting the frame as you bounce down the trail. On One Fat Bike Frame-12294711_10207196311333474_5665976584991029710_n.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dopler View Post

Looks great, what prep work did you do? Light scuffing or full sanding? Thinking of changing mine up.

mtbr member

Nice. thumbs up!
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

Mayor of Waterdog
    Riding my Fatty in Fort Bragg/Mendocino this week.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpg  

On One Fat Bike Frame-image.jpg  

“Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.” ~ Hallman

mtbr member
    So this is happening. Waiting on a new crown race. Also have a new hub coming for the 29+ wheel.
    On One Fat Bike Frame-img_1910.jpg
    On heavy rotation: Stooge 27.5+ SS, On-One Fatty, On-One 456 EVO, Surly Cross-Check, Scott CR1 (SS road)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just double checking, but looks like these won't fit the fatty without a different front hub?

Fattie Slims | Framed Bikes

On One's 29er wheelset is almost double the price and out of my budget for this 'commuter' project...
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Just double checking, but looks like these won't fit the fatty without a different front hub?

Fattie Slims | Framed Bikes

On One's 29er wheelset is almost double the price and out of my budget for this 'commuter' project...
    Not in stock form. On-One forks use rear disk spacing, Framed uses front disk spacing. You can grind out the caliper mount to so it lines up with the rotor. Ive also seen folks offset the axle with different width nuts, then re-dish the wheel.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Not in stock form. On-One forks use rear disk spacing, Framed uses front disk spacing. You can grind out the caliper mount to so it lines up with the rotor. Ive also seen folks offset the axle with different width nuts, then re-dish the wheel.
    Thanks, that's what I thought, just want something plug-n-play and inexpensive. I guess there are not many other options in that price range...
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Thanks, that's what I thought, just was something plug-n-play and inexpensive. I guess there are not many other options in that price range...
    For what it's worth, you really get what you pay for with the Framed wheels. Hubs aren't great, rims are heavy and narrow, and the tires and tubes are crap. I rebuilt mine with some Velocity Blunt 35s and put on some 3" tires and new tubes. Now I'm relacing a new front hub to go with the new fork I got (thru-axle compatible). If I hadn't gotten them free when I bought a Framed MN, I would have been better off building from scratch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For what it's worth, you really get what you pay for with the Framed wheels. Hubs aren't great, rims are heavy and narrow, and the tires and tubes are crap. I rebuilt mine with some Velocity Blunt 35s and put on some 3" tires and new tubes. Now I'm relacing a new front hub to go with the new fork I got (thru-axle compatible). If I hadn't gotten them free when I bought a Framed MN, I would have been better off building from scratch.
    Those Velocity are 27.5 with 3" tires?

Do you think there is realistically a chance to build a 29er wheelset for commuting, that is better quality than Framed Fattie Slims, that still fits a certain budget? (Cheaper than On One Fat Not Fat wheel set) I obviously need to do some research. Thanks...
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Those Velocity are 27.5 with 3" tires?

Do you think there is realistically a chance to build a 29er wheelset for commuting, that is better quality than Framed Fattie Slims, that still fits a certain budget? (Cheaper than On One Fat Not Fat wheel set) I obviously need to do some research. Thanks...
    Mine are 29ers. Tight squeeze with the 3", but plenty of room with 2.2s. If you are just looking to build some commuter wheels, look for some used fatbike hubs, lots of folks are ditching the 135/170 for wider hubs to run Blutos or 5" tires. Any 170 will work out back. For the front, you can use Surly hubs, the Salsa Enabler, or any standard MTB rear, though a SS specific would be best. You can get new 29er rims pretty cheap too, as the industry is pushing the wide rims. Just look around for closeouts on old models. Here's an example. MTB Rims | Chain Reaction Cycles

mtbr member

Nice! for a minute I thought '15 Farley 6
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blowery View Post
    Looks great, what prep work did you do? Light scuffing or full sanding? Thinking of changing mine up.
    Professionally blasted and repainted. Never had much luck painting on my own
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Nice! for a minute I thought '15 Farley 6
    You would not be the first. I've had people staring at it up close and assuming it's the Farley 😄
    Not on the rug...man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Mine are 29ers. Tight squeeze with the 3", but plenty of room with 2.2s. If you are just looking to build some commuter wheels, look for some used fatbike hubs, lots of folks are ditching the 135/170 for wider hubs to run Blutos or 5" tires. Any 170 will work out back. For the front, you can use Surly hubs, the Salsa Enabler, or any standard MTB rear, though a SS specific would be best. You can get new 29er rims pretty cheap too, as the industry is pushing the wide rims. Just look around for closeouts on old models. Here's an example. MTB Rims | Chain Reaction Cycles
    I will be watching for some used parts for sure. So far I found 9:Zero:7 rear spaced front hub on sale for $36 and Salsa Mukluk 3 rear hub for $115 as cheapest options. Also considering WTB i23 rims for about $26 each, but with spokes and wheel assembly it is in the same price range as On One wheelset.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Another question regarding the carbon fatty fork. Are the logos removable decals or are they under the clearcoat?
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Another question regarding the carbon fatty fork. Are the logos removable decals or are they under the clearcoat?
    Not sure, I haven't tried. I will say that nothing has peeled/scratched off after 2 years. As for the wheels, any 29er rear wheel should work on the front if you don't want to build a new one. Might look a little funny, but then you'd only have to build one wheel... I build my own wheels, so I didn't factor that into the cost.

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I'm building up a new V2 fatty frame. Swapping a bunch of stuff over from my old fat bike. I have 2 questions and I appreciate the help:

1) Need a new rear wheel. What size hub works on new frame? Might end up buying new wheelset.

2) Have a new Bluto 120mm. Decent headset that works with frame and fork? Looks like they stopped making Mixie Smooth tapered piece.

I think have everything else sorted, might need some new cranks too. Thinking Race Face, been happy with mine on other bikes. I just have to make sure to get the right spacing correct?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    170 rear. I don't remember if the headtube is tapered, but you can get a bottom headset cup to fit the Bluto. I'd personally look at Cane Creek, probably the 40. You may also want to lower the travel to 100mm.

On-One Fatty V2 Frame | Planet X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    170 rear. I don't remember if the headtube is tapered, but you can get a bottom headset cup to fit the Bluto. I'd personally look at Cane Creek, probably the 40. You may also want to lower the travel to 100mm.

On-One Fatty V2 Frame | Planet X
    170 QR rear wheel. For headsets, Chris King is worth the extra $$ as it will last forever. If you are keeping costs down, Cane Creek 40 is solid. I'm running Turbines with a 30T NW on the inside of the spider. It's close to the chainstay, but clearance is fine. No tire rub in low with Nates on Mulefut 80s.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SundayRiverRider View Post
    Hey guys, I'm building up a new V2 fatty frame. Swapping a bunch of stuff over from my old fat bike. I have 2 questions and I appreciate the help:

1) Need a new rear wheel. What size hub works on new frame? Might end up buying new wheelset.

2) Have a new Bluto 120mm. Decent headset that works with frame and fork? Looks like they stopped making Mixie Smooth tapered piece.

I think have everything else sorted, might need some new cranks too. Thinking Race Face, been happy with mine on other bikes. I just have to make sure to get the right spacing correct?

Thanks!
    Responded to the wrong poster, see my reply to dbhammercycle

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

I might got 1x on this too. I like it on my 29er. We'll see.

Why lower the fork to 100 from 120? I thought it was designed to handle 120? Did you find 100 just worked better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Yes, I've seen that site. Thanks anyway Shaggy.

If I had to guess from that pic, it looks like 32:17 (using a half link), just a little tall for my liking. There's always other options for tensioning a ss anyway.
    Did you ever figure this out? I run 32:18 on my 29er SS, was thinking a 17 cog would work nicely with the 30t on the Fatty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the white carbon fork and the decals are under the clearcoat.

Also, the Fatty forks are set up for rear disc spacing. Most forks/hubs now use front hub spacing.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Why lower the fork to 100 from 120? I thought it was designed to handle 120? Did you find 100 just worked better?
    I very well may be wrong, but I don't think the Fatty was designed for that much travel. The Fatty Trail was designed around the 120 Bluto. I'm not saying you can't, there are certainly lots of examples of non suspension corrected frames that have sus forks slapped on 'em and I've certainly seen a few pics of the Fatties with sus forks. I think the a-c of the Fatty fork is 470mm and the 120 Bluto is 531. I just think you should be aware of the change to the head tube angle, etc.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.

Been very happy with 30t x 11-36 cassette. Just got a Carver Trans-fat with 506mm A2C, I'll post a ride report vs. the carbon if my new crown race ever shows up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, yes, the rear spacing front hub is a bit of a PITA these days.

I'm in a bit of a dilemma as to what do do with my Fatty. I'm just shy of 5'10" or just a hair under and on my 16" frame I find myself slightly cramped. This is with 60mm stem and 12mm setback Twelfty seatpost. I feel like I would be happier on an 18", but unsure if I should get 18" frame, swap over everything and try to sell 16" V1 frame. Or just get rid of the Fatty and get a different bike. Rear spaced front hub, no through axles and 170mm rear end are feeling a little outdated to be spending a lot of cash on imo.

I would also like to get a 29er wheelset for commuting this spring/summer and would not mind the carbon fork for looks and weight savings. (This thing is over 35lbs now). On top of that I would like to try few bikepacking trips this summer and the bike can serve as a loaner for friends couple times a year, so could have a few other uses apart from main snow/winter duty. I do have a Giant Trance for summer already. For bikepacking, I would think (especially the 18") can fit a decent size frame bag unlike my Trance.

Trance - summer rig
    Fatty - winter rig mainly, bikepacking?, commuter?, loaner for friends, occasional summer use for fun

Just to put in perspective, mine is full XT 2x10 build with e13 crank, BB7's, studded Dillingers 4s, and also Floaters.

I guess I could just get 18" V2 frame and try to sell 16" V1 if there even is market for one? I could live with skipping on the carbon fork to save some cash there. Still another $500 CAD for skinny wheelset with tires and $400+CAD for frame shipped minus whatever I get for the V1. Just have hard time seeing it as cost effective. My head is spinning from all this by now, and I'm probably not thinking clear about this anymore.

Do I just sell and get/build something else? Thanks for any advice.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Tough call. At 5'10", I really like the way my 18" fits and rides. I don't need 5" tires, so I'm happy having the narrower q-factor of the 170 rear. Not much size difference in the front triangle between the 16 and 18. The two things that are making me look at a Soma Sandworm are a bigger front triangle for more waterbottle placement/bigger frame pack, and the sliding dropouts to run SS.
    It does have rack mounts and the ability to run belt drive, though I don't see myself ever using them. The geo is very close to the Fatty, more trail oriented. Also has more room for the 29+ tires.

mtbr member
    @Kryten

You could get the Fatback import hubset for cheap and gain 9mm and 10mm thru axles. Also, you could put on a longer stem, unless you feel you are already over the front wheel enough or if you feel the reach is still too short. 'Tis the season for upgrades for a good pricepoint or a discounted end of season new fatty.

That's not much help, but really the choice is yours. Perhaps the thing to do is go to your LBS and test ride other frames to get an idea of what you want for top tube length.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I will look into the Soma. I was looking at the orange '16 RSD Mayor frameset with carbon fork to build instead.

I would prefer not to go with longer than 60mm stem. One option I thought of was getting a Truvativ 25mm offset seatpost for under $50 for now, but I don't think I want to be on a wrong sized bike long term.

I did notice being a bit cramped after I cut my handlebar from 785 to 760 which is what I run on my trail bike as well.

The Fatback hubset I found for $125 is front disc spaced so it wont fit in either fatty fork afaik.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3
    2014 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    The Soma has sooo many things going for it, but the tall stand over height (IMO) killed it for me. I'd rather see 30.5in than 31.5in for the 17.5in lrg size.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    The Soma has sooo many things going for it, but the tall stand over height (IMO) killed it for me. I'd rather see 30.5in than 31.5in for the 17.5in lrg size.
    About 2lbs heavier than the Fatty as well....

nothing to see here
    Did you ever figure this out? I run 32:18 on my 29er SS, was thinking a 17 cog would work nicely with the 30t on the Fatty.
    Never tried, however, I've taken my gears off and put them on my SS for now, so the Fatty is just begging for a SS conversion.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Never tried, however, I've taken my gears off and put them on my SS for now, so the Fatty is just begging for a SS conversion.
    I did the opposite. I had put a 1x10 on my Kona Unit for a while, but transferred it when I got the Fatty and made the Kona SS again. Wanted to try SS with the fat or 29+.