Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ljracer View Post
    Attachment 747167

One rim done.
    what is the orange rim strip? Is it something grime resistant, or is it ribbon?
    Anyone know of what to use that will resist soiling while being available in multiple colors, and is fairly light?

I was thinking colored vinyl or cloth backed vinyl tape stuck sticky side to sticky side to a wider tape, so that the overlap can stick to the rim.
    Is this what others are doing?
    does it work well?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Anyone know of what to use that will resist soiling while being available in multiple colors, and is fairly light?

I was thinking colored vinyl or cloth backed vinyl tape stuck sticky side to sticky side to a wider tape, so that the overlap can stick to the rim.
    When searching for material i went to a local fabric outlet with literally thousands of colors, material types, remnants of all sorts of shapes n sizes. I wanted white and found what was a vinyl table cloth 5x6' so i cut 2" strips for marge lites that worked perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    what is the orange rim strip? Is it something grime resistant, or is it ribbon?
    In my case duct tape. 23 grams for one loop on the rim. Mud washes off fine. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356376434.605433.jpg
Views: 1826
Size:  21.2 KB

Plenty of threads on this forum where people have many nice solutions.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Want.

It's a good thing for my pocketbook that they are out of stock at the moment.

Yeah, I think one of these is going to be coming soon.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any severe hops in their tires? I noticed I have it mine. Each one has it and it does not seem to be related to the tube. Ive moved the tires on the rim. Rims are true and have no hops.

Cant really feel it at low speed. But high speed it is a problem.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have big hops in my two tire+tube+wheel, but I think it is from the very narrow tubes I use (Schwalbe SV13F, 190 g each, the on-One weight 610 g !).
    Downhill I feel these hops a lot !
    French. In France .Near Paris. Yes, really.

mtbr member
    Based on a tip from a buddy I aired it up to 35 psi. Seemed to seat everything better. I'll let it sit for a bit and the. Test ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Just changed my tubes to the Schwalbe FR and had a b!tch of a time getting the tires seated properly without hops... what worked in the end was applying some soapy water to the beads and then inflating to a high psi... voila, no more hops.

BTW, I dropped 2 lbs of weight in the process.... cheapest diet for this fatty...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The tire hops because the bead isn't centered around the rim. You have to be very vigilant in getting the tire to inflate evenly around the rim. The tire is seated off-center. This is operator error. Easy/kinda to fix. Deflate the tire, rub something slippery around the bead(Dawn dishsoap diluted a bit works), and keep the tire/rim off the ground while inflating. If still having trouble, you may need an extra pair of hands keeping the tire equal spaced on the rim while you inflate it. The problem is the tire bead falls into the large center section of the rim, and then pops up unequally onto the bead seat. Work with it, and all will be well.

mtbr member
    Does anyone have any severe hops in their tires? I noticed I have it mine. Each one has it and it does not seem to be related to the tube. Ive moved the tires on the rim. Rims are true and have no hops.

hops are the main contributor but rest assured they are also out of balance more than folks would suspect. These fat tires no matter the make / model can have severe weight bias in a section.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Based on a tip from a buddy I aired it up to 35 psi. Seemed to seat everything better. I'll let it sit for a bit and the. Test ride.
    I just aired the two up to 35 PSI and the hops is disapeared. Thank you. Easy and efficient tip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    hops are the main contributor but rest assured they are also out of balance more than folks would suspect. These fat tires no matter the make / model can have severe weight bias in a section.
    Did a ride this morning at some relatively fast fat bike speeds (30 km/h) and absolutely no wobble or hops felt in my tires...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Did a ride this morning at some relatively fast fat bike speeds (30 km/h) and absolutely no wobble or hops felt in my tires...
    do you feel warm n fuzzy inside??

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    do you feel warm n fuzzy inside??
    Absolutely...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch View Post
    Absolutely...
    me too when i static balanced mine

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Yesterday was a great day to continue breaking her in...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    After couple of rides in snow conditions I have noticed, that 2*10 gears could perhaps help my skinny legs in some situations. I if go to 2*10 gears, I would like to do it inexpensive way. There are now discounted crank options like Hussefelt 2.2 or Truvativ Blaze, which I could take away largets (42 t) ring and replace it with light alumium rock guard. These will go to bike's original bb.

So I need a front mech and a trigger. Would Shimano's 9 speed e-type mech work or is the only way to go with problem solver adapter and direct mount mech ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ed Oxley put a high clamp mech Shimano SLX without the expensive problem solvers adaptor. Photos are on UK fat bike forum.
    Last edited by hbourj; 12-30-2012 at 04:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    here is my Fatty. only mod so far is white mary bars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On One Fat Bike Frame-imag0152-1-.jpg  

On One Fat Bike Frame-imag0154.jpg  

nothing to see here
    lucky man
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Is it possible for shops to get these? Who's distributing?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fwilpum View Post
    Is it possible for shops to get these? Who's distributing?
    On-One sells consumer direct.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Thanks.
    For me severe hops mean my tires are not seated correctly all the way around. This can be hard to get right on rims without good bead seats such as Fat Shebas or V!Zs. I had trouble on Darryls too but it was because of tape residue on the ramp up to the bead seat. Once I cleaned that all off and broke out the compressor they popped right on and no more hop! Well almost none, you can no longer feel it at speed.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    We were thinking of getting 8-10 of the fattys for rentals....but we want internal hubs...any problems with the hydraulic brakes getting sluggish in the cold? and no racks? Is there a specific reason in design for not having rack mounts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TikiInn View Post
    We were thinking of getting 8-10 of the fattys for rentals....but we want internal hubs...any problems with the hydraulic brakes getting sluggish in the cold? and no racks? Is there a specific reason in design for not having rack mounts?
    Only internal hub that fits a 170mm OLD frame is the 3 speed Sturmey-Archer.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Page 34 of 59 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast