Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by exigetastic View Post
    Impressed in the rubber are "26 x 4.0", a rotation arrow, "Made in Taiwan", and "Inflate to 20psi". There is also what looks like a manufacture date / machine stamp, but that's about it.

HTH
    Si
    "Made in Thailand" (by Vee Rubber for On-One, Tread design by me. Should be 120tpi IIRC)
    not Taiwan
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    On-One was claiming 32 lbs, with no size given. Even if 32 lbs was for a size small, 4 more lbs for a large leads me to believe that they're all a little plumper than we were led to believe they would be...

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by bricke View Post
    I'm Italian so bought an extralite components is not a big problem (It's very used here).
    But I've also a friend that made some very nice components LINK and I usually bought this kind of stuff from he.
    Hey Bricke, good looking gear there. I cant read Italian so do you know if he does Middleburn spiderless rings ? Or would he do them ?

Since the demise of HBC im kinda stuck for spiderless middleburn rings on both bikes, would 100% place an order with them for a few rings if they could make them.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Hey Bricke, good looking gear there. I cant read Italian so do you know if he does Middleburn spiderless rings ? Or would he do them ?

Since the demise of HBC im kinda stuck for spiderless middleburn rings on both bikes, would 100% place an order with them for a few rings if they could make them.
    Yes, he do middleburn spiderless rings.
    However if you have some particolar request he could do some special rings only for you.

You can contact him and say that I tell you about his work.

ps.: My fatty is being build!!!

ps2.: He speaks english.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    I cant read Italian.
    Google chrome will translate it all clear as day

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Bricke, did you say what the best way to contact your chainring guy is?
    I like the HBC stuff I see on the website, especially the prices, but obviously he is not very reliable, or available. I think he needs to charge more, or expand production, or both, if he is unable to keep up with orders. I will check out the other thread to see if I can determine if it is even worth trying, but judging by his own comments on his webpages, he will not be easy to work with or contact at all.

That's really too bad about the Fatty being 4 lbs overweight.
    What, a fat bike has to lie about how much it weighs?
    I hope the extra weight isn't in the frames, but if they honestly expected it to weigh 32lbs, they should have already known what the components weigh, so the frame must have come out a lot heavier than expected. I would have thought it would be a very light frame, in the neighborhood of the Beargrease, with the nice design it has. Either they increased the material thickness for durability concerns, or the manufacturer just used heavier materials for production, or they just lied about the 32lbs.
    I don't think they would have though, they could have sold them all without even publishing a weight at all.

I guess the tires might also have been overweight, as they were one of the last things to arrive. I would think they should be right around 4 lbs each, like the other vrubber 26x4.0 tires. they are very beefy from what I hear, with some kind of kevlar belting.
    hopefully, they will be around the same price as the Vrubber ones I've seen for about $55(USD)
    Last edited by autodoctor911; 12-13-2012 at 05:34 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by autodoctor911 View Post
    Bricke, did you say what the best way to contact your chainring guy is?
    I've send him a mail so maybe in a very near future he will make an account here on mtbr.

Until that day you can find the mail in the site I've linked (or even the phone -039- is the italian prefix)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    "Made in Thailand" (by Vee Rubber for On-One, Tread design by me. Should be 120tpi IIRC)
    not Taiwan
    Sorry I take your word for it, I should have gone to spec-savers

mtbr member
    I would think they should be right around 4 lbs each, like the other vrubber 26x4.0 tires. they are very beefy from what I hear, with some kind of kevlar belting.
    hopefully, they will be around the same price as the Vrubber ones I've seen for about $55(USD)
    the devist8ers are 1800gm +/- each @ 60tpi so yes heavy compared to a few other 4.0 tires now avail. According to what shiggy posted earlier the new O-O floater 4.0 (Should be 120tpi IIRC) hence should be lighter........however shoulds & woulds don't often happen.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    double post
    Last edited by caminoloco; 12-13-2012 at 08:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    double post - sorry, something went wrong here...
    Last edited by caminoloco; 12-13-2012 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    double post

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I hope the extra weight isn't in the frames, but if they honestly expected it to weigh 32lbs, they should have already known what the components weigh, so the frame must have come out a lot heavier than expected. I would have thought it would be a very light frame, in the neighborhood of the Beargrease, with the nice design it has.
    It's just a question of doing the math: the frame is by design heavier than a normal diamond frame if they used "standard" tubing. Someone somewhere floated a weight when it was in prototype stage and I think it was in the ballpark of a Pugs frame. Add to that undrilled rims which weigh more than 1 kg each and an overall parts combo that's very price- but less weight conscious, even with just one chainring and a derailleur & shifter less.
    If you were thinking about upgrading/getting it down to Beargrease weight, that'll be a problem just with the weight penalty of the frame (not mentioning the price tag involved).
    Getting it up to Pugs/Necromancer standard is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    the devist8ers are 1800gm +/- each @ 60tpi so yes heavy compared to a few other 4.0 tires now avail. According to what shiggy posted earlier the new O-O floater 4.0 (Should be 120tpi IIRC) hence should be lighter........however shoulds & woulds don't often happen.
    As reported earlier by shaggyjohn and velobike, the tires are in the 1450-1480g range, which is the design target. Not just the casing thread count but the amount of rubber used. The Vee Rubber Mission (have not seen the Devist8er) has a VERY thick layer of rubber over the entire casing and rubber weighs much more than any other material in a tire.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by caminoloco View Post
    It's just a question of doing the math: the frame is by design heavier than a normal diamond frame if they used "standard" tubing. Someone somewhere floated a weight when it was in prototype stage and I think it was in the ballpark of a Pugs frame. Add to that undrilled rims which weigh more than 1 kg each and an overall parts combo that's very price- but less weight conscious, even with just one chainring and a derailleur & shifter less.
    If you were thinking about upgrading/getting it down to Beargrease weight, that'll be a problem just with the weight penalty of the frame (not mentioning the price tag involved).
    Getting it up to Pugs/Necromancer standard is more realistic.
    The frame weight of the original prototype is not unusually heavy. The medium is under 5 pounds (slightly more than a Mukluck). Have not weighed the production version.
    mtbtires.com

conjoinicorned
    at the risk of losing this in a massive thread and/or missing this info after reading all 29 pages, is there plans to sell the fatty in the future as a frame only?

thanks Shiggy (or shaggy LOL)
    Last edited by ferday; 12-13-2012 at 08:55 AM.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    There will be frame only (or F&F) deals available at some stage. I'm not sure when though.

mtbr member

weight

Let's be realistic. People are most likely buying this bike because it's cheap (at least I did).

And this is right in line weight wise with plenty of other fat bike offerings, that are not custom builds in 3-4K range.

How much does a Fat Bike weigh?

sure lighter tires, drilling the rims, and going tubeless are all going to help knock down some weight...

I'd like to see people posting up some action shots of the bikes!! Thanks to exigetastic for putting up a bunch of detailed shots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    As reported earlier by shaggyjohn and velobike, the tires are in the 1450-1480g range, which is the design target. Not just the casing thread count but the amount of rubber used. The Vee Rubber Mission (have not seen the Devist8er) has a VERY thick layer of rubber over the entire casing and rubber weighs much more than any other material in a tire.
    there ya have it folks!! and yes the devist8ers have the same thick rubber layer you mention hence it never came close to the highly publicized UL 1200gm weight but instead 1800.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    There is a thread where someone has started to weight Fatty parts. Atleast tubes are very heavy.
    There are much lighter options like Schwalbe's free ride tubes, a pair weight 380 gr.

The difference between given weight of Fatty and real weight is over 10 %, which is quit much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    why should this frame not be lighter than a Mukluk? replacing one large diameter tube with two small ones usually saves a little weight, but of course that huge downtube probably negates that.
    But, any triple butted 7005 frame should come in pretty damn light, or it's going to be way stronger than needed. with the seatstays extending pretty much straight to the headtube(the exact path of the forces created by vertical loads) they should be able to get away with thinner tubing than a conventional diamond.
    Anyways, I am sure I won't be disappointed even if it is a bit heavy. I probably will mess with getting the rotating weight down, by drilling, or some 47mm sub 600g wheels, and tubeless conversion. Maybe a lighter crank too.

mtbr member
    For the benefit of non fatbike owners - the weight of a fatbike ceases to be an issue once you ride it.

The only times it becomes a niggle is when you race it or have to frequently carry it or lift it over obstacles.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I read about 2nd generation handling on On-One website under Fatty description. Has the geometry changed already for the 2nd batch?
    I see 68* head angle still listed under geometry, but 69* now in text.
    the fork rake was 53mm in text, now 55mm, which seems to be confirmed on a 1st batch bike by Velobike's home measurement.
    I'm sure it will handle better than most bikes out there, 1st or 2nd generation, but did it require a change in production already?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just curious, anyone know how the builds are coming in the US? Anxiously awaiting mine!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by builder View Post
    Just curious, anyone know how the builds are coming in the US? Anxiously awaiting mine!
    I'm also curious to whether or not I'll be able to ride the Fatty through town on my way to Christmas dinner (in a Santa hat, of course).

Page 29 of 59 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 39 ... LastLast