Page 23 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,150 of 1783
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

On One Fat Bike Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    Is there any problems with adding a larger front wheel if you get a new fork that has room for it? For example a wheel with 100mm rims. Or does this cause some bad effects like wonky steering or syphilis?
    Why do you think a 100mm rim would not fit in the stock fork?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Ho'lier than thou
    EDIT: Never mind. See post #1108.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus/On One USA View Post
    The US stock of Fatty's has arrived and we have been shipping them out as quickly as we can get them assembled. If you ordered today it would ship on Wednesday (Monday is a holiday and we would get it assembled on Tuesday).
    Thanks
    Currently on your web page, it says "Availability: In stock soon..."

How soon? Looking to get one in size 18". I'd rather get it from Portland than directly from UK.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Katz; 07-05-2013 at 01:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Why do you think a 100mm rim would not fit in the stock fork?
    I presumed that since the bike came with 70mm rims it wouldn't be room for much more. But if 100mm rims and 4,5" tires fit, then that'd be great.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Katz View Post
    Currently on your web page, it says "Availability: In stock soon..."

How soon? Looking to get one in size 18". I'd rather get it from Portland than directly from UK.

Thanks.
    Katz, I just bought a Dirty Disco CX bike. Been waiting on them coming back in, they are still not in stock till the 17th July but ive paid for it so I have got my place in the queue.

I see the fatbike has a similar option, though I got mine from the UK.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Ho'lier than thou
    ^Hey Ozzy, thanks for the info.

Although I'd rather get it from the U.S. distributor (easier to return/exchange in case of damage, defect, etc), I'll order it from UK if the wait is going to be longer than a couple of months as I see they got a bunch of 18" Fatties in stock on the UK site.

Haven't see your riding vid in a while. Post some more in OC

Fat & Single
    Cheers Katz, I usually post them here in the Fatbike film thread.

The planet-x/on-one US site has their fattys available to purchase but "in stock soon", my thinking was if enough people pre purchase before they become available then they wont become available at all

I have no idea the numbers they are getting in but ive learned that well priced FATBIKE things don't hang around too long.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

WNC Native
    Katz, send them an email. They are in stock now and will let you know if there are any available in the size you want.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Ho'lier than thou
    Ozzy, I'll browse through the Fatbike film thread later. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Katz, send them an email. They are in stock now and will let you know if there are any available in the size you want.
    I just called them. You're right - turned out they have 11 of size 18" in stock. So order placed. I'll be a fatbike owner soon!

WNC Native
    Yep! If I can move my 29er frame before they run out, I'll be a fat bike owner too!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

Ho'lier than thou
    ^That's what credit cards are for

Hope you'll get the frame sold quickly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by BowHopper View Post
    I agree, and I'm kicking around ways to make that happen.
    hey Bowhopper how's that coming along? no activity from you in a year almost!
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

WNC Native
    ^That's what credit cards are for

Hope you'll get the frame sold quickly.
    I wish it were that simple, if this frame doesn't sell I'm not going fat for a while. Doesn't look like its going to either. I'll be half fat once again.

Mr.Green

Fatty fork, Clown Shoe 100mm, Bud 4.8"

Quote Originally Posted by Innota View Post
    I presumed that since the bike came with 70mm rims it wouldn't be room for much more. But if 100mm rims and 4,5" tires fit, then that'd be great.
    Fatty fork, Clown Shoe 100mm, Bud 4.8":
    On One Fat Bike Frame-fatty-fork-bud-01.jpg
    5mm space:
    On One Fat Bike Frame-fatty-fork-bud-02.jpg
    Mr.Green

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    EDIT: Thanks for the images, Lars Thomsen! Looks like a tight fit, but I'm sure it works. Is it possible to cram in more tire in the rear as well?
    Last edited by Innota; 07-07-2013 at 02:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If someone is wondering the construction of the Fatty, here is a close up video of my Fatty which I received 3 days ago

Ho'lier than thou
    ^Cool. Thanks for posting the vid! Mine was delivered on Friday - alas, I'm in the opposite end of the country (residence in CA, I'm in AL at the moment).

I'd take it the X9 shifter/derailleur combo is your own addition?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'd take it the X9 shifter/derailleur combo is your own addition?
    Yes, I've changed the shifter, derailleur and the grips. Otherwise it's stock.

I got also the custom No Fatty -wheelset with the bike so now I got also a rigid 29er

Just now I'm drilling the wheels to get maybe 1lbs of..

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Drilled

On One Fat Bike Frame-img_0673.jpgOn One Fat Bike Frame-img_0674.jpgOn One Fat Bike Frame-img_0664.jpgOn One Fat Bike Frame-img_0662.jpg

Saved just a hair over a pound on the rear wheel by changing tubes and and operating on her.. been reading this whole rotational mass savings issue is a bit overrated, but hey at least the front and rear matches now and I'll be able to accelerate like 2% faster now! That's all that count right?

No Jig, no pilot holes, just centre punched and drilled, stood on the rim on the lawn. Aluminium is so soft I never had the drill slip. Bit of a mission de-burring, but the Dremel did the job. Did nick a spoke so all I can say is take it slow! Took quite a while to get it all done. More like 3hrs. Either way thanks for putting the vid up John: Drilling fat bike rims in built wheels - YouTube

Next up will be going 2x10 on the front. Manage to get hold of a crank set, so just need a front mech and shifters. Anybody here got some advice as to what mech to use? What is the frame diameter? Saw a post some time ago suggesting you need a problem solver (which one?)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a tip for avoiding hitting spokes, or slipping through at all when using a hole saw.

just wrap the hole saw with a few layers of electrical tape, about 3/8 of an inch from the cutting edge. Once the hole saw cuts through the rim, the tape will catch it before it can slip through.

Fat & Single
    Looking good, nice job with the drilling.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyford;
    Next up will be going 2x10 on the front. Manage to get hold of a crank set, so just need a front mech and shifters. Anybody here got some advice as to what mech to use? What is the frame diameter? Saw a post some time ago suggesting you need a problem solver (which one?)
    Cheers
    I used the problem solver direct mount for a fat bike and a cheap slx direct mount that jenson had on sale at the time. You need a bb spacer to replace the stock chain guide.

But in hindsight I can't see why a bb mounted derailleur wouldn't do the same thing for less.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks Tim,

I take it you used this one:
    FS1322 Direct Mount Adapter 34.9/31.8/28.6mm High Direct Mount 100mm

Think I might just go the same route as yourself seeing I know it's been done

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here is my drilling job

Yellow is just temporary

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice one! Looks like your little tool works a lot better than the dremel... could not be asked to go and buy one of those, in hind sight it would have saved me a lot of time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ok found a mad deal on a bb-mount, less than the price of a beer so will give that a go first

nothing to see here
    Nice clean work Tomsson. Did you drill where the rim join was? The pic with the punch show you setting up to.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Stevob, I did, no way around it. Was a bit strange as it was near centre on the join and the cut-out fell out on 2 pieces. Did you have the same Tomsson?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Didn't realize I was demonstrating the marking procedure just on top of the pin seam

I didn't drill the seam.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thought I'd risk it

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone else having trouble with the standard On-One tires not seating correctly? I must have taken them off and put them back on a handful of times but they keep having at least one spot where they are not correctly seated, leading to pretty brutal tire wobble/bobbing. I tried using lots of soapy water and pumping way up to 25 PSI and that seemed to work, but at soon as I lowered to 10 PSI the issue came back.

mtbr member
    miksen

I used straight dish washing liquid and that fixed it for me, but until I did this the wobble was very noticeable.

Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fyford View Post
    I take it you used this one:
    FS1322 Direct Mount Adapter 34.9/31.8/28.6mm High Direct Mount 100mm
    fyford

Yes, that's the one I used. It was simple and straight forward.

You may have used direct mount derailleurs before but I hadn't, and made the mistake of cutting the outer housing to terminate in the last frame mount when I should've by-passed this completely and terminated it at the derailleur itself.

Tim

Tim
    Last edited by Wombat; 07-17-2013 at 04:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Try at least 35 psi and straight dish soap as stated.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomsson View Post
    Here is my drilling job

Hey Tomsson, is that a flapper wheel @ high rpm you're using to clean up the edges?
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevob View Post
    Hey Tomsson, is that a flapper wheel @ high rpm you're using to clean up the edges?
    Yes it is. Common 80 grit flap wheel 30mm in diameter. Not too high rpm since those air tools use so much air my small air compressor can't keep up properly if not easying on throttle a little pit

WNC Native
    Does anyone who owns a Fatty have a North Shore Rack?? I'm curious if the On One fork will work with this rack. I just tried a Steel Fatback fork and it will not, the On One is a VERY similar design.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just installed a Salsa Beargrease fork...
    Upgrade will continue with the rear wheel (hope+marge lite, under construction) new headset and some bits...

Maybe I will remove the paint...

Low pic quality, sorry.

On One Fat Bike Frame-fat1.jpg

mtbr member
    How is the handling with the Beargrease fork?

Quote Originally Posted by bricke View Post
    Just installed a Salsa Beargrease fork...
    Upgrade will continue with the rear wheel (hope+marge lite, under construction) new headset and some bits...

Maybe I will remove the paint...

Low pic quality, sorry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fat1.jpg 
Views:	6889 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	817316

mtbr member
    Hi people

This is my first post on this forum and I would like to introduce another Fatty ready to roll into Spain

bye

mtbr member
    Hey Brant

Which is better for Australians, order thru UK site or US??
    Last edited by pharcyde; 10-02-2013 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    pharcycle

Look at the total cost for both sites and get whichever is cheaper. So far it's always been the UK site, as US shipping is much higher. The current price from the UK with shipping is less (in US$) than the purchase price from the US. The latter site is much more expensive once you add shipping.

Edit: and looking at the UK site, it indicates that there's free international shipping so it will be even cheaper.

Tim

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by miksen View Post
    Anyone else having trouble with the standard On-One tires not seating correctly? I must have taken them off and put them back on a handful of times but they keep having at least one spot where they are not correctly seated, leading to pretty brutal tire wobble/bobbing. I tried using lots of soapy water and pumping way up to 25 PSI and that seemed to work, but at soon as I lowered to 10 PSI the issue came back.
    I sanded the sides of the tires lightly to get good seat.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I also finally had success. Cleaned the tire bead, rubbed the rim flange with undiluted dish soap, and inflated up to 30 PSI. Waited 10 mins, and then deflated down to 10 PSI, and tire was still on right :-).

Ho'lier than thou
    I had a chance to try my Fatty for the first time over the weekend.

I assembled it with all the parts it came with, super-wide bar, 80mm stem, etc. It felt really awkward to me (5'10" on 18" frame), so I took 730mm bar and 40mm stem off my DJ bike and put them on. The bike came alive! Not that it has anything to do with fatbike's intended use, I am pleasantly surprised how well the bike manuals.

<object width='800' height='450'><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true' /><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always' /><param name='movie' value='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/323976/l/' /><embed src='http://www.pinkbike.com/v/323976/l/' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' width='800' height='450' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always'></embed></object><p><a href='http://www.pinkbike.com/video/323976/'>Fatbike</a> on <a href='http://www.pinkbike.com'>Pinkbike</a></p>

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice. there should be more fatty-stunt-videos casual flipflop included.

Ho'lier than thou
    Thanks. I'll make a longer video when I get acclimated to the bike. I hurt my wrist a while ago and the bike's heavy, so I can't bunnyhop well yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jvm051 View Post
    How is the handling with the Beargrease fork?
    Mmmmm quite difficult to say with only two serious ride so far, but, by now "I don't like it", I feel something strange in the handling, I don't know how to explain it, in uphill the handling is't better, in downhill a little bit worst (more quick response to the steering), in a pair of cases the bike was "un-drivable", I don't know why, I need to investigate a little bit.

However, I overall prefer the original fork for a more downhill ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    ..."I don't like it", I feel something strange in the handling, I don't know how to explain it, in uphill the handling is't better, in downhill a little bit worst (more quick response to the steering), in a pair of cases the bike was "un-drivable", I don't know why, I need to investigate a little bit
    I don't think this is very surprising. If you look at the photos above the original Fatty fork is slanted forward quite a bit creating a head angle that is quite slack. The Beargrease fork is straight creating a much more steep angle. Steeper angles lead to more nimble handling, but also a lot less stability.

mtbr member
    This is what worries me about putting a suspension fork on this bike. Afraid it might throw off the handling too much. I had emailed Brant a few weeks back asking if any of the current carbon forks would work but he mentioned the handling change....he also mentioned they should will have a carbon fork in a few months...
    Mmmmm quite difficult to say with only two serious ride so far, but, by now "I don't like it", I feel something strange in the handling, I don't know how to explain it, in uphill the handling is't better, in downhill a little bit worst (more quick response to the steering), in a pair of cases the bike was "un-drivable", I don't know why, I need to investigate a little bit.

However, I overall prefer the original fork for a more downhill ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lets just hope that atleast the carbon fork they are working on will have that same slant than the steel fork. I love that 68deg head angle it gives and would not want anything steeper!