Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,623

    One of *those* days.

    ... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 5 am MST Friday...

    * Timing... periods of snow... heavy at times... will continue
    through this evening.

    * Snow accumulation... additional 6 to 12 inches with storm total
    snowfall from 15 to 30 inches. Up to 40 inches storm total
    possible in the west Elk and Sawatch mountains by Friday
    morning.

    * Winds... west 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

    * Impacts... snow and blowing snow will significantly reduce
    visibility for travelers and recreationists. Roadways will
    become icy and snowpacked making travel difficult.

    Precautionary/preparedness actions...

    A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow are
    expected or occurring. Strong winds and blowing snow are also
    possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dRjOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    2,204
    ********** (dump!)

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watermonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    682
    The mega dump hasn't quite stacked up the way is was projected to around the roaring fork valley - overnight accumulations were fairly weak considering the hype. Just enough to consider playing hookie for the rest of the day though.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    136
    Yeah, Open Snow got it wrong so far. However, it did pile up in my driveway.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Velobike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    6,300
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    ... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 5 am MST Friday...

    * Timing... periods of snow... heavy at times... will continue
    through this evening.

    * Snow accumulation... additional 6 to 12 inches with storm total
    snowfall from 15 to 30 inches. Up to 40 inches storm total
    possible in the west Elk and Sawatch mountains by Friday
    morning.

    * Winds... west 20 to 30 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

    * Impacts... snow and blowing snow will significantly reduce
    visibility for travelers and recreationists. Roadways will
    become icy and snowpacked making travel difficult.

    Precautionary/preparedness actions...

    A Winter Storm Warning means significant amounts of snow are
    expected or occurring. Strong winds and blowing snow are also
    possible. This will make travel very hazardous or impossible.
    While you're snowed in, maybe it's time to sew up a set of 8" tyres, modify your frame, and be ready for the day you can open your door again.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

  6. #6
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,122
    I live in the wrong f*#king state.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  7. #7
    Gimme free stuff
    Reputation: tims5377's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I live in the wrong f*#king state.
    Seconded. A few snow rides before the holidays. Now it is straight muck. The only question is to destroy the trails or leave the ICT in the basement laughing at me. The shoulder season keeps getting more and more broad!
    Kona Process 134DL
    Ice Cream Truck
    Misfit DiSSent (For Sale)
    Pugsley (For Sale)

  8. #8
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,623
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I live in the wrong f*#king state.

    Doesn't yours typically just come later?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    3,078
    ^^ Got telemark skis?

  10. #10
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,623
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    While you're snowed in, maybe it's time to sew up a set of 8" tyres, modify your frame, and be ready for the day you can open your door again.

    That's just silliness! Days like these are for skis. The sun will come out, probably all of next week, and the trails will eventually be fun to ride again.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    136
    Yeah. Like he said.

  12. #12
    This place needs an enema
    Reputation: mikesee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9,623
    My sweetie and I rode last night at ~11,000' as the storm was blowing in. Gorgeous and ~calm in the trees, full on chaos out in the open. I love riding the front end of storms -- right up until your tracks are disappearing almost as fast as you can make 'em.

  13. #13
    My other ride is your mom
    Reputation: Maadjurguer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,032
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Gorgeous and ~calm in the trees, full on chaos out in the open. I love riding the front end of storms
    Beautifully put!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Xethur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Doesn't yours typically just come later?
    Not so much. Here in PA we use to get two foot around turkey day and we wouldn't see the grass until march or april. We haven't had a winter like that in probably 10 years. In fact, I considered mowing the yard about a week ago. So forgive us if we're a little envious.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    I live in the wrong f*#king state.
    It gets worse - try living near Philly.

    Haven't seen almost any snow yet this season.

    Everybody around here's getting excited about maybe 1" of snow tonight. BFD.

  16. #16
    All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Reputation: MendonCycleSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,122
    Yeah Mike, that used to be the case, true enough.

    But as others have said, the "snow on the ground for good" in December, is a bit of a fading memory, and while we did have a bang up snow and cold year, a few years back, last year was just misery, and years previous, saw things like violets blooming in my yard the week of Christmas.

    But enough whining on your parade, glad someone is getting dumped on!
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

    - FrostyStruthers



    www.mendoncyclesmith.com

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    My sweetie and I rode last night at ~11,000' as the storm was blowing in. Gorgeous and ~calm in the trees, full on chaos out in the open. I love riding the front end of storms -- right up until your tracks are disappearing almost as fast as you can make 'em.

    You can still ride at 11,000 feet above sea level? Wow, The hills behind my house that are that high are covered with 8' of snow.

Similar Threads

  1. Good Days Versus Indifferent Days - Inconsistent Performances
    By WR304 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 08:08 AM
  2. SEA-DEN. Two drive days, two ride days. Where would you go?
    By flybigjet in forum Vacations & Destinations
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 11:45 AM
  3. A few days off
    By SlowerThenSnot in forum Passion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 10:33 AM
  4. Riding Days vs. Running Days for Spartan style race?
    By SLOCanucker in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
  5. Core and strength training on rest days or riding days?
    By Evan55 in forum XC Racing and Training
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 01:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •