mtbr member

Older model husker dus tubeless?

I bought a bike that has mulefut 80s and the older style husker dus. Anyone mount these tubeless? How were your results? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

All fat, all the time.
    Never had issues with hudus tubeless.

Pastafarian
    Just do it .

Jammin' Econo
    The challenge might be the Mulefüts more than the Hudüs. Even though they claim that the Mulefüt is 'tubeless ready' the rim/bead interface isn't really the issue. I've found that it's critical to seal them up really well, given all the additional holes they have in them, or you're going to have problems. Maybe not right away, but eventually. And tape doesn't tend to stick very well to them either. I've taken to not messing around and going straight to a split tube setup when putting new tires on my Mules.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

turtles make me hot
    I've done a bunch of HuskerDus split tubeless on Marge Lites and Rolling Darryls. Works great. Only ever done Nates on Mulefuts. They worked fine as well.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone. Gives me some confidence to give it a whirl. Probably be easier if I just went on a diet though instead

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    The challenge might be the Mulefüts more than the Hudüs. Even though they claim that the Mulefüt is 'tubeless ready' the rim/bead interface isn't really the issue. I've found that it's critical to seal them up really well, given all the additional holes they have in them, or you're going to have problems. Maybe not right away, but eventually. And tape doesn't tend to stick very well to them either. I've taken to not messing around and going straight to a split tube setup when putting new tires on my Mules.
    Mulefuts are probably one of the easiest wheels to setup tubeless and they stay that way. I've never had an issue with leaking and they always set up easily and seal without Stans.

Perhaps your procedure needs tweaking if you're having problems with them. No issues with tape sticking either, not sure what tape you're using, but wipe them down first with alcohol and tape away. I've never seen the need to use a tube when setting up tubeless.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Jammin' Econo
    I've done the exact same tape job on Mulefuts that I've done on other rims in the past (gorilla tape). I've got a set of Clownshoes that I did the exact same tape job on, and they are still holding fine after almost two years. On the Mulefuts, it held for a while, but eventually started leaking. And yes, I cleaned them w/alcohol first (and roughed up the inside of the rim with a little fine steel wool and re-cleaned them with alcohol again after). I'm not the only one who has observed tape not sticking well to Mulefuts, likely due to the anodizing - do a search.

Regardless, I only do tape now on rim/tire combos that are truly tubeless ready. Otherwise, it's split tube.
    I dream of a day when my children will live in a world without the shackles of cause and effect.” - S. Colbert

Pastafarian
    I've done the exact same tape job on Mulefuts that I've done on other rims in the past (gorilla tape). I've got a set of Clownshoes that I did the exact same tape job on, and they are still holding fine after almost two years. On the Mulefuts, it held for a while, but eventually started leaking. And yes, I cleaned them w/alcohol first (and roughed up the inside of the rim with a little fine steel wool and re-cleaned them with alcohol again after). I'm not the only one who has observed tape not sticking well to Mulefuts, likely due to the anodizing - do a search.

Regardless, I only do tape now on rim/tire combos that are truly tubeless ready. Otherwise, it's split tube.
    Perhaps you should try better tape. I don't think Gorilla tape is the best option from what I've read.

mtbr member
    I've only had Gorilla tape last 9-12 months at most. I use Zip Tape now and it lasts for years. Never had an issue with the Mulefuts nor known anyone locally who has. They're considered tried and true and a guarantee seal with locked bead.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nothing to see here, move along folks.

Jammin' Econo
    Don't want to turn this into a thread into about Mulefuts, but thanks for the tip. I've heard Zip works well, but I'll stick with split tube. Cheap, super simple to set up and never had the slightest leak that way.

turtles make me hot
    Don't want to turn this into a thread into about Mulefuts, but thanks for the tip. I've heard Zip works well, but I'll stick with split tube. Cheap, super simple to set up and never had the slightest leak that way.
    Everyone goofs on me for split tubin' Mulefuts and Other Brother Darryls but not only does it NEVER leak, it keeps sealant off the nipples and I've never had a spoke/ nipple failure from corrosion.
    I did just buy tape for my rear wheel so I can swap tires... We'll see how that goes.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TavisB View Post
    Perhaps you should try better tape. I don't think Gorilla tape is the best option from what I've read.
    I concur. I've setup husker du with mulefat and had success... no issues . Im using orange seal tape and sealant. I do make sure to clean the rims good and overlap a bit to the sides to cover all the holes. I wouldn't use gorilla tape.

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddy96 View Post
    I concur. I've setup husker du with mulefat and had success... no issues .
    How long ago? I've set many rims up successfully with tape and had it last for months, but since I don't switch fat tires very often, I've opted to go with longer-lasting approaches to tubeless these days. Otherwise, in my experience, tape jobs give out long before the tires wear out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaff View Post
    I've only had Gorilla tape last 9-12 months at most. I use Zip Tape now and it lasts for years. Never had an issue with the Mulefuts nor known anyone locally who has. They're considered tried and true and a guarantee seal with locked bead.
    ^^^Totally agree. Zip Tape and Mulies is the system I use and it has been flawless. The rims were way easier to set up tubeless than either my Rolling Darryls or a set of Fatbacks that I had.