Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Oh snap! Literally. My poor Muk.

Today I was coming off a nice calm ride on my new Mukluk. A few hardpack surfaces, but mostly tarmac. I was upshifting to gain more speed, light pressure on the pedals. I noticed the shifter was a bit stiffer than usual and as I twisted, *boom* the rear derailer snapped off the bike and managed to catch itself in the gear cassette. The derailer is destroyed (bent everywhere) and the rear dropouts broke off...looks like the frame is done.
    In my 20 years of biking I've never had this happen... let alone on a bike that has maybe 25 miles. I am heartbroken. I sent Salsa a note... I hope to God they will warranty this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Salsa seems like good peeps- hopefully, they will take care of it quickly. Congrats, however- you are the first, I think!

He be a moose too.
    Did the frame crack or just the derailleur hanger?
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    It's supposed to look like this...

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Looks like it just needs a new hanger! Not the first Muk to have this happen. Buy 2 hangers so you have an extra!!!

Geordie biker
    email those pics to salsa and speak to your dealer, they will see you right. No shortage of mukluks either....shame though.
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Looks like just the hanger to me....

turtles make me hot
    Looks like I was ridin' that bike. I'm good at stuff like that.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    It looks like the back side of the dropout is busted to me where it loops behind the hanger.

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    It looks like the back side of the dropout is busted to me where it loops behind the hanger.
    That's kind of what I was thinking. But, I'd also probably just try putting a new hanger on and see what happens.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

bi-winning
    The frame looks to be ok. There's a reason derailleur hangers are replaceable.

When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I hope it's only the hanger... the rear derailer is wasted.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevenz View Post
    Looks like just the hanger to me....
    Looks like both the hanger and the frame to me.
    For that to happen, was there some impact to that area? shipping damage? garage rash?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm wondering if the orig poster doesn't know the hanger is a "consumable"

The frame looks "boogered" in two spots but if the replacement hanger fits tight and true you're probably alright so long as you can handle the battle scars. A sharp wood chisel (yes!) can sometimes pare away the upset aluminum if it causes the replacement hanger to fit poorly. Talk it over with your local bike shop or a seasoned tech you trust, check closely for cracks or bends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Looks like the derailler caught on something. Any spokes bent in the middle on that side or could have picked up a stick?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Looks like the derailler caught on something. Any spokes bent in the middle on that side or could have picked up a stick?
    Yes. My buddy did something like this on his road bike. Classic steel frame, so no replaceable hanger--ended up halfway tearing the whole dropout free of the seat and chainstays. A little bit of metal flashing in the road had gotten kicked up into his chain/derailleur.
    I write for the Dusty Musette.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Looked at my Muk and it looks like the frame in the picture just got the corner scraped a bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerdawg View Post
    Looks like both the hanger and the frame to me.
    For that to happen, was there some impact to that area? shipping damage? garage rash?
    The bike appeared fine when new, no damage. I've never fallen off the bike, yet. When this happened, I was on tarmac on a slight downhill... no sticks, nothing in the way, just me, the bike and clear road. That's why I am scratching my head as to why this would happen.
    I do know the hanger is replaceable, but the areas on the frame that broke off are what concerns me.

mtbr member

Dude!

That sucks man. I hope you get it fixed, it looks like material defect to me. Is that dropout stainless or just steel? Its not aluminum right? Look on the bright side, now you can go singlespeed and never have to worry about that again, although you might have to run a tensioner with those vertical dropouts. Good luck either way bro.

Frt Range, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacons View Post
    ...the areas on the frame that broke off are what concerns me.
    It's not clear to me your frame is damaged beyond a little mashed up aluminum, Did part of the dropout get broken off when the hanger bent and snapped? Can you take a better picture of the frame area you think is damaged (perhaps remove the rear wheel and the remaining hanger that's still bolted on)?

mtbr member
    Regardless of what it now looks like, it'll more likely have been caused by a fault with the mech than with the frame.

Unless there is a large amount of metal missing from the dropout, I'd be putting on new hanger - and mech - and riding it.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Concour! Get get a couple hangers, a RD, some housing and maybe a new cable if needed and ride this bitc! Or take it to your LBS!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the support folks.
    Talked with Salsa and they feel like only a hanger replacement is in order (oh, and a new derailleur too).
    I will take off the wheel tonight to see if there is any additional frame damage.
    I am still puzzled at how that X-9 could malfunction. Any replacement suggestions? Not feeling to confident with SRAM now.
    Cheers!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    You were JRA on pavement, that would be spooky for it to just tear off like that. Does the FUBAR'd derailleur have any obvious pock or scuff marks, like something you just didn't see hit it?
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Derailers are nothing but trouble. SS that MoFo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast