mtbr member

Offset wheel building help...

Fat Folks,

I have read all of the fat wheel forums - I am a wheel junkie lets face it. But my rear wheel on my necro pugs is giving me fits...

In the front I have my symmetrical GFS rims with large holes drilled to the max - no problem with the huge holes.

I am having some trouble with the rear. I do not have enough funds to go an get a new rim so that option is out for the next few months.

So the story goes - I had a non offset drilled GFS rim to start with - so I got out the protractor and the punch - and measured about 6 times and drilled a set of spoke holes like the ones on an offset wheel (all on one side of the rim) It was easy and the build seemed to go well... but I cannot seem to get the darn thing round. It seems to be very close on the stand.. but after a good ride many is feels lumpy!! I thought it may have been the 27tpi larrys... but the front is round and plump. I know that Vicious Cycles had some trouble with quality control and maybe it was the rim to start with.. Maybe I did not do the math right when drilling the new holes (just spoke holes). Maybe the spokes I used (they are lighter double butted spokes) cannot hold the weight

I have built ~100 wheels with a tons of different spoke patterns this is the first wheel I cannot make round. It is killing me.

Now the question -

Should I
    a) take it apart and start again drilling on the other side with 7 measurements?
    b) Just keep fighting with it on the truing stand?
    c) suck it up and bring it to my LBS with my head down and have them re-drill and true it?
    d) shut up about a slight wobble in a tire that is 3.8 inches wide and just ride the damn thing (I can only notice it when I am on the road riding to the trail head)...

Thanks folks so far I have been able to solve most of my problems with people from this site!!!

I hope to get Bud for a winter holiday - so I need to make sure there is room with no wobble.
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

Anchorage, AK
    I have only built about 10 wheels, but I vote for d. You might also try switching tires to see if you have a bad rear tire.
    --Peace

Dr Gadget is IN
    So you got it round on the truing stand, then rode it and it felt lumpy. Have you had it back on the stand? I know I've built (skinny) wheels in the past where I didn't do enough stress relieving, and they went wonky on the first ride - but were fine for a long time after putting them back on the stand and retrue/tension.

Also - have you checked how well the tires seated? I recall some folks having problems with the beads seating crooked and getting a lumpy ride. Just look closely at the tire/rim interface looking for symmetry around the wheel.

I tried to cross-lace a clownshoe, and it was pretzel city. Relaced it regular 3x and it was easy, as was the 28mm offset rear. Both held true after several rides - BFL front/Lou rear.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

turtles make me hot
    Do you stress relieve your spokes when you build a wheel?
    I do it three or four times... Initial tension, de stress, back on the stand. After a few cycles of this, I usually don't ever have to put the wheel on the stand again.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    The wheel has been off the bike and on the stand about 4 times (man it is heavy when I hold it!) and it does not seem so bad on the stand. I assumed that the tire was fine... but I will check that when I get home.

I had not thought about the stress relief... but that makes sense. I only ride it once or twice a week - so maybe the wheel just has not settled in.

The spoke holes I drilled are straight down... so there is a strange bend in the spoke close the nipple (I will try to photo when I get home) toward the brake side.
    Maybe I should relieve the nipple hole a bit so the stress is off of the spoke. I will bend a few spokes first to see if that is the problem!!
    My bike is heavier than yours - it does not have Carbon or Titanium parts - I love it!

turtles make me hot
    Twist each pair of spokes around each other. Use the handle end of a large adjustable wrench or something. You want the spokes to bend together as they transition from the hub to the rim.
    Leave your spoke holes alone for now. Don't make them any bigger.
    I like turtles

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by NYrr496 View Post
    Twist each pair of spokes around each other. Use the handle end of a large adjustable wrench or something. You want the spokes to bend together as they transition from the hub to the rim.
    Leave your spoke holes alone for now. Don't make them any bigger.
    Yeah, leave the spoke holes in the rim alone. Here's how to fit the pair of spokes together:

I have an old crank arm like this that I use. Slide it in between the spokes where they cross and pry the spokes apart. This not only bends the spokes at the cross so they lay together with less spring, but it also pulls the ends of the spoke into the shape they need to be for minimum stress (supported). You basically overload the spoke and force it into the best fit for where it is - the shape it will wind up being in after time and use have pounded on it.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

turtles make me hot
    My friends cringe when they see me do that to a wheel but it makes all the difference.

Quite a few times I've taken complete wheels that were bought from a reputable wheel company and had to go through this process... It was obvious they weren't done when they were originally built.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Great Sheldon Brown image.. I have never had to do that before.. but I will before and after photo.. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Damn I wanna learn to build wheels!

Sup
    What kind of tube you running
    I had tubes bunch up on me and ride terrible
    I run 24x3 tubes now and they don't look like sausage links when you take the tire off
    I am slow therefore I am

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by OFFcourse View Post
    Damn I wanna learn to build wheels!
    If I can do it, you can... I am quite the simpleton.
    I like turtles

Nuts
    I have seen a few bad tires, the last was a Nate. SJ 24' tubes how stupid is that people thought I was crazy when mentioned it.
    Last edited by bdundee; 09-28-2013 at 08:53 AM.
    And I love beer!!

Sup
    24 inch tubes FTW
    I am slow therefore I am

Nuts
    No tubes FTW
    And I love beer!!

Sup
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    No tubes FTW
    You with all your fancy carbon fiber rims ,symmetrical rear hubs and titanium pelvis should change your screen name to Mr fancy pants !!!!!
    Anyone with a titanium buttocks is just showing off
    Hmph
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Bontrager 2.? tube..
    But it was the bendy spokes...... The rim is straighter now.
    The next rim that I drill I will stagger the holes a bit - not put in one line.

I ordered a set of DLH 85mm Weinnmann rims. I am going to drill the poop out of them. and then build a new wheel. It should be fun!

I will have time after I put away the Christmas stuff away in the garage (okay not that bad - but I had better clean up before I start playing with the bike).

Building wheels is really fun. For me it is almost like an spectrum disorder- it is sooooo awesome to make it round.

I wish I had ti parts. I new foot would be great!!
    Thanks Everybody!
    Last edited by Weinerts; 09-30-2013 at 12:56 PM. Reason: English langue errors