Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!

So many Salsa Beargrease -threads going on so let´s try to get all info and pics under this one!

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-23783722359_e778a09c35_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    What kind of wheels are those?

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3415.jpgOfficial Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3416.jpgOfficial Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3412.jpg

Just picked it up

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_20160102_112905510.jpg

Picked mine up last week. Oh the fun I have been having! I am thinking the Trek X-Caliber will be up for sale in the spring and the Beargrease 2 is the spring, summer, fall and winter ride with a goofy grin on my face bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Reno808 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3415.JPG 
Views:	266 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	1040192Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3416.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	1040193Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3412.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	150.9 KB 
ID:	1040194

Just picked it up
    Nice lightweight bike- Defies gravity!
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    Nice lightweight bike- Defies gravity!
    haha yes it is. i love how this frame acts when your standing on the pedals, just like a road bike

sluice box
    Bike Thief's sux, just posting for a fella Alaskan that lost his John Beargrease.
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/5354443663.html

$500 for return of bike and $1000 reward for information leading directly to the arrest of the thief that stole this bike. Bike has 45 N handwarmers studded Dillingers and WtB saddle with 1x11 sram drive chain. Stolen from my shed in midtown after lock was cut. serial 22014030510160. There were less than 5 of these sold in Anchorage. The high original price of this bike will result in felony theft charges for the thief, and felony theft by receiving for the person who buys it if they are prosecuted and therefore I am serious about the reward.
    ptarmigan hardcore

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Bike Thief's sux, just posting for a fella Alaskan that lost his John Beargrease.
    https://anchorage.craigslist.org/bik/5354443663.html
    damn so sad to hear.

mtbr member
    Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-24133056381_bbafd10819_b.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-24189548866_f3efda4934_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Sweet pic and build^

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    One more Beargrease from Finland, but not so great photos.

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3744.jpgOfficial Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3745.jpgOfficial Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3750.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    No love for the Beargrease...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Love this rig.

27+ for Summer:

Studded D4 for Winter:

Beargrease
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    RSD Sergeant
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Love this rig.

27+ for Summer:

Studded D4 for Winter:

Did you put the studs on yourself or bought tires with studs?

mtbr member
    Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-23936743534_926ebdee6e_b.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-24564910605_5bf1d0e62a_b.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3607.jpgOfficial Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_3594.jpg

This past weekend

mtbr member
    Any pics at Beargrease with 29" wheels and tires? Or other info...? Thinking to get 29" wheelset for my Beargrease.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Metal Chainsuck Plate?

After a practically Muddy 24 hour race in Scotland I was gutted to see I had lost the metal chainsuck plate off my Beargrease
    I thought this would be nothing more than a quick email to Salsa to get the part number and order a new one from the UK distributor, how wrong I was
    Sure enough email was written and replied to the following day, to be told it wasn't a spare part that they carry, they would look around and see if there was one kicking around but I've heard nothing since....
    I can't believe a carbon frame at this price point has no support for what I would imagine is a easily damaged or lost part?

Anyone had the same problem?

Do I just get the beer can and double sided tape out?

I can't be the only person this has happened to?

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Is anyone rocking a 27plus wheelset. If so what rims and hubs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ShamusWave View Post
    Any pics at Beargrease with 29" wheels and tires? Or other info...? Thinking to get 29" wheelset for my Beargrease.
    Terse

I hope you mined 29+.
    Pictures not mine ”borrowed” from other forum

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-18395306291_777ed0ab62_b.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-18205976760_0c4dc4a3a9_b.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-17771005364_9e684f9b9c_b.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-18205837468_07edfbed32_b.jpg

The Dog.
    Here are some pics of mine in 29+ mode. First pics are with the original frame, then with the replacement orange fade frame after mine cracked at the bottom bracket.

I had the wheels built by Mikesee, and they are hands down the stiffest wheels I have ever ridden, including 50+ deep road wheels. Sometimes I wish for a front fork, as it can be a little punishing on rockier trails, but overall they monster truck over most anything. I have been surprised at what is an appropriate pressure. I usually run something like 7-8 front, 10-12 rear. Based on the number of pumps, I think that the 29+ setup actually has more air volume than the 26 fat. In part, I attribute this to massively deep rim channel on the Nextie's. This can make them a bear to get inflated initially, but they have been bomber since. I found that lifting the bead partially onto the shelf with a tire lever did the trick.

The low BB on the Beargrease is great for snow, balance, etc, but I always struggled with pedal strikes on our cupped out singletrack. The 29+ gives just enough lift. For the riding I do here, I would definitely not go 27.5+.

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_2058.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_2016.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-11136744_832452087220_7622711052733624446_n.jpg

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_2168.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Nice bike I have the same frame . How wide are the rims

The Dog.
    Quote Originally Posted by fastfatkid1 View Post
    Nice bike I have the same frame . How wide are the rims

50mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Good day, does anyone have the Salsa pink carbon forks (ShamusWav pics) they don't want and would like to sell??
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Love this rig.

27+ for Summer:

Studded D4 for Winter:

I see that you also roll a 27+ Sergeant as well. How much crossover is there between the two rides in 27+ mode? I'm moving out west and trying to decide if I should build up a + wheelset or go with a plus mountain geo HT. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    I see that you also roll a 27+ Sergeant as well. How much crossover is there between the two rides in 27+ mode? I'm moving out west and trying to decide if I should build up a + wheelset or go with a plus mountain geo HT. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks!
    The Beargrease in 27+ mode is great. Its a super agile bike. I was going to put a 120mm Bluto on it this summer, to be a little more aggressive, but decided on the RSD instead.

I only have 3 rides on the Sergeant, due to this shitty weather in Vermont, but it is a completely different bike in handling characteristics... The RSD is crazy playful. Jumping off of everything (single-speed too!). The Beargrease is just a great singletrack bike. I never really got to "rad" on it, because thats not how I wanted to ride it... Maybe with a 120 bluto upfront, it may have changed my mind.

Don't get me wrong, the Beargrease is awesome, and I put my winter set-up back on.

They are just two different bikes. I like the Sergeant right now, because its "new". BTW, those 27+ wheels are for sale.

The BG in plus form was a rock crawler. Could climb or ride through anything on it. It really excels at slow tech riding. With the rigid fork, I was right around 25lbs..

Hope this helps. PM with any further questions.
    Beargrease
    Log Lady 27+ SS
    RSD Sergeant
    RSD Catalyst dirt road bike
    On One fixed
    SantaCruz SS ('99)

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jpfurn View Post
    What tedo said! There's simply no comparison between the Sergeant and a Beargrease. They are two vastly different geometries. The Sergeant is an exceptionally playful bike that can be mild mannered enough to serve a light bikepacking role as well. The ability to roll the most comfortable endless wheelies and still be able to climb with ease is a rare find in any bike.
    I ride a 9:Zero:7 as well as the Sergeant and I love em both. Sarge doesn't have a pedal strike problem like the 907, which is a blessing. Definitely two different personalities between the two bikes and both perform well.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Has anyone put a Dillinger 5 on the rear of their Beargrease? Salsa specs say 1x setups will take up to a 4.8, but it seems close. Thanks!
    Salsa Beargrease
    Niner Air9

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceCX View Post
    Has anyone put a Dillinger 5 on the rear of their Beargrease? Salsa specs say 1x setups will take up to a 4.8, but it seems close. Thanks!
    Depends...

D5 on 90mm rim with tube will yield approx 3-4 mm of chain clearance in largest rear cog..

Tubeless will slighly rub the sidewall of the tire in same cog..

but, of course each tire expands differently..

Dan

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks-I should've said 80mm tubeless. Will just need to put it on and give it a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceCX View Post
    Thanks-I should've said 80mm tubeless. Will just need to put it on and give it a try.
    I ran studded D5's on 85's tubeless with no problems, you should be fine!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    I demo'd a Beargrease at one of Salsa's Demo days. You can read about my experience here. It was my first time riding a fatbike.

Max, The Cyclist: Salsa Beargrease Demo

I couldn't afford a carbon beargrease, but two months later I bought a Surly Pugsley, and now it's my only mountain bike, and 95% of my cycling as a whole. Thanks, Beargrease, for turning me on to fatbikes!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Thanks for the info! Looking forward to the season now.

mtbr member
    I finally have a decent amount of rides on my 27+ setup and I'm still not sure I like it more then full fat for summer singletrack. For reference I've been running HED/I9 85mm with JJ 4.0's for two summers and just started running Nextie JFII's/Onyx on NN/RR. The HED wheelset is surprisingly a 1/2lb lighter then the plus setup. My motivation for this change was:
    1.) I was bored and to try something new!
    2.) I wanted more rim protection then a 4" tire on 85mm carbon for gnarly trails
    3.) I was sick on my loud I9's when riding with my family or trying not to wake the whole campsite up at night!
    4.) Worst case I could try them on my wife's Farley

Initially, I was really worried about loosing some BB height, but the 1/4" hasn't added any additional pedal strikes. However, the slight height difference combined with less volume has really decreased the roll over efficiency. It has taken a couple rides to adjust to picking smoother lines once again. The plus wheels definitely roll faster with less rolling resistance and respond quicker to steering/cornering inputs. With that being said, I have had my front end wash out more in the last month then all my summer rides full fat. I started with a Rocket Ron up front and now run a Nobby Nic which is a huge improvement, but still not as inspiring and constant as a 4.0. According to Strava they are slightly faster then my full fat on the majority of the segments, but I can say they allow me to sustain higher speeds for a longer duration.

I'm thinking about trying some 27.5 x 3.8 tire's once some new offering are available come fall. 27 x 3.8 should provide more traction then Nobby Nic, more roll over then 27x3 and 26x4, and have a nice combination of plushness and a nice summer tire profile. The main drawback is now that 1/2 weight difference has grown up to 1 1/2lbs! So all in all, 27x4 is gaining me a slight height increase, a little less rolling resistance, and a more bombproof summer wheelset. I'm thinking 29+ may be the better option to explore come next spring!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Need some guidance on getting correct BB for a Next SL crank on a Beargrease. I think I need the Raceface Cinch pressfit 41mmx92mm and then the spacer kit (BB124-30). Anything else I need to think about. Also any real difference between the last year Next SL and the G4?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Just curious if any of you fellow Beargreasers have fit anything bigger then a 32T on your frames? Running direct mount on Race Face Next Sl. Possible to run a spider and run a bigger gear? Working on my build and waiting for parts just want to see options and haven't found anything reading through post here. Thanks

The White Jeff W
    Mounted a Bluto on a BG carbon for a lady friend of mine.

No moss...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dapperdan View Post
    Just curious if any of you fellow Beargreasers have fit anything bigger then a 32T on your frames? Running direct mount on Race Face Next Sl. Possible to run a spider and run a bigger gear? Working on my build and waiting for parts just want to see options and haven't found anything reading through post here. Thanks
    Post this question on the Salsa Beargrease Facebook group, I'm sure those folks can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I just picked up my first fat bike after taking a break from riding for 5 years & wow! This thing is freaking awesome! Originally I figured I'd add a Bluto but I'm really liking it with a rigid fork, maybe I'll try to find a carbon Salsa fork or even the Lauf if I can justify the cost. At my age & shape (literally & figuratively) the reality is that I'm not bombing down the trail like I used too.....but I'm having a great time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-20161026_174312-1200x1256.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater View Post
    I just picked up my first fat bike after taking a break from riding for 5 years & wow! This thing is freaking awesome! Originally I figured I'd add a Bluto but I'm really liking it with a rigid fork, maybe I'll try to find a carbon Salsa fork or even the Lauf if I can justify the cost. At my age & shape (literally & figuratively) the reality is that I'm not bombing down the trail like I used too.....but I'm having a great time!
    I have your bike with a Lauf! It does help take the edge off of small bumps.

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-img_5538.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettanfinland View Post

gorgeous. love the reverse-mount BFL rear. sneaky.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    My BG has gone through a few different phases, overall a great platform for summer and winter months alike..

Bikepacking mode:

120mm Bluto and 4.0 JPro's for summer:

Bluto and studded D5's for winter:

mtbr member
    Nice! What cassette is that?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Sunrace 11-42 ten speed, works perfect with the 30t Raceface chain ring up front

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I've got a fresh 2016 Beargrease frameset, size Large, purple fade, mounts on the fork, dropper, headset. She's a beauty, needs a loving home...

Official Salsa Beargrease - thread. Pics and tech!-2016-12-11-11.20.29.jpg

mtbr member

Thanks for the info on the cassette

mtbr member
    Lauf-edition...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    ShamusWave, nicely done! What your thoughts on the Lauf so far?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast