mtbr member

observations of a first time fat biker

First off, my setup; 907 frame and fork (170), rolling darryl rims, On One floater tires. So far I've got about 15 miles on it.
    This thing is the first fat bike I have ever seen (in person anyway).
    There is absolutely no need for a big ring on the crankset.
    First couple miles it steered itself all over the place, now it goes where I point it. Keep in mind, within 15 miles.
    Q-factor; I have a knee that's a little weak, it tends to track funny and strain easily if I don't pay constant attention to it. Within the first few pedal strokes, I noticed that my knee liked the wider Q-factor. I intentionally did things that would normally strain it, just to see, but it didn't bother it, tracked straight, no strain. Your mileage may vary.
    Lots of rolling resistance on hard surface, seems to speed up when encountering something soft.
    This thing will rip your legs off! Will be great for building fitness. Gear down, watt up!
    Unreal cornering speed!
    FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Welcome to the madness.

Levi Early
    once you go fat, you never go back. Im talking about bikes, not women. You might be into that thing though so.............

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm saving up for a fattie. I've only ridden one around the block a few times, but the experience of just rolling right over a curb was enough for me. I'd rather be able to ride anywhere without hopping off than actually ride fast, so there's that.

mtbr member
    Welcome! I observed much the same thing with my knees too. I don't ride any other bike.
    Steel Fatback

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fourthree View Post
    There is absolutely no need for a big ring on the crankset.

FUN, FUN, FUN!!!
    I have to disagree with the statement that you don't need the big ring! Since the breakup this spring here in AK, I've spent 99% of my time on the 44t up front, only dropping down on sustained inclines. To be fair, when I first got the bike - pre snow season, I rarely got out of the 32t, but after grinding away all last summer and all winter long (many days with multiple inches of fresh pow on the daily bike commute), I found that my legs were so Hulkinan (like Herculean, but with more gamma-rays thrown in for fun) that anything less than 44t just felt off.

I whole-heartedly agree with your last statement, though. These bikes are just too damned fun!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Lots of rolling resistance on hard surface, seems to speed up when encountering something soft.
    Ha, one of the reasons for the huge grin I got during my first fat ride.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi707 View Post
    once you go fat, you never go back. Im talking about bikes, not women. You might be into that thing though so.............
    For sure Im in 100% agreement with you on the bikes.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Q-factor; I have a knee that's a little weak, it tends to track funny and strain easily if I don't pay constant attention to it....
    I have may Fatback now for a year and I never had problems with my knee, but when I ride the Fatback it hurts sometimes. I guess I sometimes ride with my knees too far apart or in an angle to each other which they don't like. That the only negative experience with it, otherwise it is FUN, FUN, FUN