Thread: NuVinci Pugs

mtbr member

NuVinci Pugs

Laced a NuVinci on a Rolling Daryl with a Nate for my Pugs. The NuVinci is really cool. No shifting noise or sensation. Its more like a volume control. Takes a little getting use to since I am use to Alfine 11's on my Jones'. Not too sure which one I like better yet. Need more ride time to compare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NuVinci Pugs-nuvinci-pugs.jpg  

NuVinci Pugs-nuvinci-pugs-hub.jpg  

mtbr member
    I'm interested in what you like better also. I'm debating getting one for my pugs. I just don't know which one and this would help. Let us know what you decide.

mtbr member
    Looks sweet.

I saw some reviews on them and looks like the N360's are a clear winner.
    Shimano Alfine 11 vs NuVinci N360 - Results are IN - 'BentRider Online Forums
    Utah Trikes Reviews - Accessory - The Nuvinci CVP Hub Transmission - It's So Smooth!!!

Though I would like your input using it on a fatbike, especially riding in the cold, through water, mud, etc.
    - Ed

2012 Trek Madone 6.7 SSL
    2013 Specialized Tricross Comp Disc
    2011 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 SSL
    2012 Salsa Mukluk 2

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    I had one on my first Pugs and liked it, save for the narrow gear range. I'm interested to hear what you think of it in terms of climbing.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    it may have been a fluke, but mine blew up after a very limited number of miles on my fat bike. began intermittently freewheeling forward, and then wouldn't engage at all. conditions did not change at room temperature and there were bits rattling around inside, so it wasn't just the cold. the company was accommodating and friendly with the warranty claim process, but I probably would never put one on a snow bike again out of fear of being stranded.

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by tlupfer View Post
    it may have been a fluke, but mine blew up after a very limited number of miles on my fat bike. began intermittently freewheeling forward, and then wouldn't engage at all. conditions did not change at room temperature and there were bits rattling around inside, so it wasn't just the cold. the company was accommodating and friendly with the warranty claim process, but I probably would never put one on a snow bike again out of fear of being stranded.
    Was this the N360, or the first generation model? I recall a few folks had slipping issues with the 1st gen.
    Fatbikes are much more fun than they should be allowed to be!

WSS/OSS: open source sealant

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post
    Was this the N360, or the first generation model? I recall a few folks had slipping issues with the 1st gen.
    n360

mtbr member

Gnarly Traction

The Nate on a Rolling Darryl at 14 psi has awesome traction. Riding the lake shore has never been so easy. I was able to go places where in previous rides the Endomorph and Larry lost traction. The NuVinci is working great.

Note: The picture was taken before the engagement with mud.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NuVinci Pugs-beals-point-1-29-2012.jpg  

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    The Nate on a Rolling Darryl at 14 psi has awesome traction.
    How much do you weigh? That's pretty high IMHO. Closer to 8-10 will yield far more traction happiness for the average 175ish rider....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm about to build the same rear wheel for my pugs and was trying to do a quick sanity check (planning on ordering the parts now). Did you end up with some very short spoke lengths? I think my calculator ended up with around 231mm spokes. Not finding a lot of options at that lengths.

Just kinda curious how you built yours up.

Keep us updated as I'm interested in how it turns out for you. I figure it's a fun experiment (we're severely lacking snow here at the moment).

mtbr member
    Running a Rolling Darryl. Spoke length I calculated and used is 231mm. 2X pattern. A 3X put too much of an angle on the nipple (no pun intended). I have a LBS that has a spoke cutter and is excellent to work with. So far the NuVinci is fantastic. There is a break-in period of about 100 miles. The shifting is like a volume control. Everyone that rides it just smiles. You are more than welcome to take it for a spin if you find yourself in my neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It would be awesome if nuvinci made a hub for mukluks.

mtbr member

A 170 would be great..

Quote Originally Posted by niffenej View Post
    It would be awesome if nuvinci made a hub for mukluks.
    It would be great if they did made something for the other fatbikes..
    "To Name me, is to label me." -
    Michi or Dick Van Patton

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripower View Post
    Running a Rolling Darryl. Spoke length I calculated and used is 231mm. 2X pattern. A 3X put too much of an angle on the nipple (no pun intended). I have a LBS that has a spoke cutter and is excellent to work with. So far the NuVinci is fantastic. There is a break-in period of about 100 miles. The shifting is like a volume control. Everyone that rides it just smiles. You are more than welcome to take it for a spin if you find yourself in my neck of the woods.
    cool. what ratio are you running? i'm thinking of trying around 32-20 to start, but really need a little lower (32-22) to be able to make it up some steeper climbs. that falls under their 1:1.8 ratio, but from what i'm reading it doesn't sound like it blows up like an alfine 11 might.

mtbr member
    32-22