mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Novatec Hub Question

Hey,

On my Wozo, with the stock wheels on my bike I get a strange pop that I can hear and feel through the crank very randomly. It's fairly uncommon (maybe once every other ride or so?), but still kind of annoying.

I read on here that novatec hub end caps can loosen and the freehub can move outwards, scarring the inside of the hub. I pulled my hub apart and found only one tooth that has some possible deformation. Could this be causing the skip?

I did loctite the end cap when I put it back together, but it wasn't obviously loose to begin with.

I've got a different chain ring, different bottom bracket, and different chain. Nothing made a difference other than putting a different wheelset on.

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Novatec Hub Question-20170406_194149.jpg  

Novatec Hub Question-2017-04-06-20.32.59.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Anyone?

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    Swab it out and let's see it squeaky clean as well a pic of the driver.
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Here's some pics after cleaning. Still doesn't show up very well but there are actually a few teeth that appear to have some damage.

Driver looks fine.

Novatec Hub Question-20170408_100333.jpgNovatec Hub Question-20170408_095837.jpgNovatec Hub Question-20170408_100253.jpg

Rippin da fAt
    Nov 2011
    That should fall under warranty.

Not only is the ring damaged but the pawls are routed off too. With the combination of issues it will continue to give issues and eventually fail.
    The drive ring can be replaced by the factory. Hopefully the LBS has the tool to pull and replace it so you can get back up and reliably running.
    Check in with you LBS and see what they can do to get you back in the groove...
    Get fAt, Stay fAt, Ride fAt
    Doctor recommended...

mtbr member
    Check if the hub body around that ring is actually round (i.e. measure diameter at different angles - it should be same).
    Most probably its not round anymore, steel ring plays under load and that causes noises/pawl engagement fails. It will get worse over time, i.e. ring will fatique and crack.

Temporarily (if warranty is not possible/feasible for some reason) I am glueing that steel ring into hub body with steel epoxy glue. Kinda makes it stronger and seems to slow down degradation, can ride for some time. These Novatec hubs seems to be not designed for heavy riders or hill trails, got 2 of them destroyed this year.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by BansheeRune View Post
    That should fall under warranty.

Not only is the ring damaged but the pawls are routed off too. With the combination of issues it will continue to give issues and eventually fail.
    The drive ring can be replaced by the factory. Hopefully the LBS has the tool to pull and replace it so you can get back up and reliably running.
    Check in with you LBS and see what they can do to get you back in the groove...
    Okay. How can you tell that the pawls are routed off? Looking at the driver they look normal to me?

The cutouts in the middle of the teeth on the drive ring were machined into it (not worn in).

Honestly, I'd probably just use this an opportunity to replace the hubs with something better.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Burn it and kill it. Novatec hubs are worse for the bike industry than Ebikes, and any company that spec's them stock on their bikes deserves to be letter bombed.
    I would advise not taking my advice.

turtles make me hot
    That clicking that you're feeling through the cranks is the pawls slipping off the rounded or missing teeth and catching the next one. It's never gonna get any better. May as well just get better hubs.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Pretty much what I figured. I'll just replace them.