Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Wig
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I'm running 8psi on 80mm rims - seems to be the sweet spot for me (about 180lbs) and I run every trail around Tucson, AZ - some serious rocks out there. That being said, I had to learn quickly to adjust the riding style from full suspension or I would have suffered the same destroyed rim as above... I had a couple close calls

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Why someone would choose to run fat tires at ~8psi on Sedona-esque trails is beyond me. That's virtually begging for dented rims.

Stop the insanity, please. Fat tires are awesome, and they have a place (several, actually), but desert hardpack and rock are emphatically not it.
    Thanks for your opinion but you obviously dont know everything so please stop acting like you do!!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post
    Thanks for your opinion but you obviously dont know everything so please stop acting like you do!!
    Opinions can differ but MC really does know what he is talking about and this forum would be a much lesser place without him in it. Boy is that some serious sucking up aye true story though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Boy is that some serious sucking up aye
    Got some new wheels coming?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Got some new wheels coming?
    No but thinking about it points never hurt right?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Why people do lots of stuff is beyond me.

I personally do not like the amount of tire movement at under 10psi on dry ground here in the East. Unlike you I do like fat tires in all conditions, we have a few rocks sprinkled in with the dirt here but I don't see a problem with the fat tires.

Why someone would choose to run fat tires at ~8psi on Sedona-esque trails is beyond me. That's virtually begging for dented rims.

Stop the insanity, please. Fat tires are awesome, and they have a place (several, actually), but desert hardpack and rock are emphatically not it.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post

I personally do not like the amount of tire movement at under 10psi on dry ground here in the East. Unlike you I do like fat tires in all conditions, we have a few rocks sprinkled in with the dirt here but I don't see a problem with the fat tires.
    `People think I'm cracked but on dirt I never run below 10psi in the back either. With bluto on the front I like around 12-13. I do like that my most recent frame affords me the pleasure of running a little bit higher psi, still stiff but does deafen the chatter.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post

Not sure if you saw this one, but a friend of ours dented his front Hugo rim a couple of times (with Surly Knards) on his brand new Niner ROS 9 Plus at the Frederick Watershed a week and a half ago. Just an FYI, the FredShed is one of the rockiest trails within an hour of Washington, DC.

BTW, I wasn't there; this pic is from another buddy of ours that was on the ride.

Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim-hugodent.jpg
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

bigger than you.

+1. I'll differ slightly, though. Fat tires are pretty awesome everywhere, but it's neither necessary nor desirable to run low presses all the time. 8-9 psi in dry rocks is whack, yo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For my scrawny ass, 8psi works fine in rocks. High pressure is too bouncy for me in rock gardens. Rider weight and riding style are factors. Rims of all types have been dented and ruined long before fat bikes were invented. I have yet to do more than superficially dent any of my fat rims so far. I've trashed a few skinny rims over the years, however.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman22 View Post
    looking for feedback....

considering either converting the rabbit hole rims on my krampus to split tube tubeless or going with a new wheelset. looking to drop some weight off the bike and give SS a try. Would the Hugo be worth the expense? seems like i might be able to lose about 2 lbs vs the RH set up tubeless?

also considering the Jungle fox rims from nextie but am weary of running carbon rims on our rocky texas hill country trails.

any help is appreciated!
    I recently went from split tube Rabbit Holes to Hugos on my Krampus and I did save about 2 pounds, but a fair amount of that was also going from 27 to 120 tpi versions.

I'm not so worried about the Hugo durability as I'm 160 pounds and only ride below 10 psi when on snow, sand, etc... Normally I run somewhere around 12-15 on trails and it's not all that rocky around here. Plus I don't put a whole lot of weight on tires rolling over stuff. It's a high volume / low psi tire, not full suspension.

Curious if those questioning the Hugo durability have / would have dented other rims in same conditions...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I am posting this picture to help anyone who is thinking about getting gen1 hugo52 rims. The rims are soft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari View Post
    I am posting this picture to help anyone who is thinking about getting gen1 hugo52 rims. The rims are soft.
    Wow, and right at 35 psi!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hmmm, glad I didn't wait for these rims and built my wheels with TrialTech 47mm hoops. :-) Tire pressure varies greatly by weight - my 70 lb son on his Pugsley likes 8 PSI on dirt. Tried them higher PSI and when he jumped it sounded like a basketball when he landed. He also only weighs 70lbs. Me on the other hand haven't had any luck at anything below 12 PSI up front (Bluto) and 10 in rear. This is for hard pack with some sandy sections. :-)

Time to go farther
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by winkster View Post

Ya Mike! Stop with all your "knowledge" and "experience"!! We don't need that round these parts :eyeroll:
    On-One Lurcher SS
    Speedway Cycles Fatback Ti SS
    1984 Trek 560
    http://slipangles.blogspot.com/ - It's supposed to be fun

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by jcufari View Post
    I've heard that was the case with this first batch......
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Lol! People sure do get upset because your not following the norm. I have been harassed for having too much pressure in my tires. I tell them I might have too much pressure in my tires(by there standards) but they have too much pressure in there heads.

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    `People think I'm cracked but on dirt I never run below 10psi in the back either. With bluto on the front I like around 12-13. I do like that my most recent frame affords me the pleasure of running a little bit higher psi, still stiff but does deafen the chatter.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

Surly SS
    Mar 2012

What adapters did you use

Quote Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
    I didn't like the Schrader valve on the Hugo so I changed it to an American Classic Presta valve with some adapters we dug up, QBP has them.
    I put Chronicles on last night and I've never had a tire set up tubeless so easy. I used a compressor with the valve core installed and it beaded up in no time and didn't leak...anywhere, right off the bat. I had a Knard and a 2.35 Ikon (2.7 on the Hugo) on previously and they were almost as easy

Here's a Knard and Hugo, the Maxxis still fits my 2012 Fox Fork
    Attachment 941818

Someone had to do it...
    Attachment 941819
    Hey Santacruzer...

What are the adapters that QBP has to swich?

mtbr member
    I'm a little concerned by the dented Hugo's I see in this thread but I had to get a pair to test for myself. The last post on this thread was in December, anybody have any news to report?

These 27.5's came in under the advertised weight. Visually, I find them appealing and the quality looks to be very good.

I didn't notice the eyelets in all the pre-production press pictures. That's a change from Stan's other ZTR rims and I'm curious about the reasons why they were added. Especially since the recommended max spoke tension is lower than their EX products.

Hopefully the 27.5 tires start showing up on the market.
    Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim-hugo.jpg

Live Free & Ride
    Looks sweet! Seems to be in a weight and size class all on its own right now...for an aluminum rim, that is. Curious to see how durable it is in all conditions too...
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto Night Train
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 Cannondale Rush
    99 GT XCR
    93 Raleigh MT 200

mtbr member
    Has anyone found any detailed reviews of these yet? The rims are starting to show up online, but I haven't seen many in depth reports on what they're like.

mtbr member
    I just had a set of 26" Hugos built up for my Borealis. They are nice rims, but I can not get a Husker Du to seal up on these. Anyone have any suggestions? They are leaking severely around the rim/bead sealing surface.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    I just had a set of 26" Hugos built up for my Borealis. They are nice rims, but I can not get a Husker Du to seal up on these. Anyone have any suggestions? They are leaking severely around the rim/bead sealing surface.
    HD's are very loose fitting tires. I would either try building up the bead seat area with tape (see pic) or with latax mold builder or get different tires.

Name:  16475129688_29ff216ecb.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  15.6 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    A pic of a dented rim with the word 'soft' is alarming, but somewhat lean on facts.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I would be wary of rim strikes. I would also get a good low pressure gauge if you are going to use Hugo's.

Rocks belong
    Quote Originally Posted by slower_than_u View Post
    These 27.5's came in under the advertised weight. Visually, I find them appealing and the quality looks to be very good.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hugo.jpg 
Views:	758 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	964458
    FYI: if someone is looking for a more durable "+" rim, the WTB Scraper is very nice. But, it's a true doublewall design, so it weighs 100g more than the Hugo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim-image.jpg  

Notubes Hugo 52mm Rim-image.jpg  

I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

All fat, all the time.
    Those are some pretty significant dents!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jackdz View Post
    Here's an update. When I tried to set the HuDu's up last night, it was late and I was tired. Today, I looked and the HuDu's did not seat on the bead lock on the Hugo. I soaped the tire up real well and upped the pressure on my compressor to 20 psi and the popped on with a loud "Pop". They are seat nice, I rode them and believe I can run the HuDu's at a pretty low pressure without burping. As a note, I do NOT intend to run the HuDu's below 8psi.....I have a set of HED's with Ground Controls that I use in non-packed heavy snow situations that require low pressure. I never go below 6 psi...ever.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am going insane trying to figure out what rim to run for summer. Heretofore I was thinking 65-70mm carbon of some sort, but now I am thinking about these.

But now that I'm thinking about these, is 52mm with a 3.8" tire still noticeably fat? And what confuses me more, is on a Specialized Fatboy, if I'm thinking of 52mm rim, would it still "feel" like a fatbike or is it not much of a difference that I might as well look at 27.5+ or 29+ instead?
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I am going insane trying to figure out what rim to run for summer. Heretofore I was thinking 65-70mm carbon of some sort, but now I am thinking about these.

But now that I'm thinking about these, is 52mm with a 3.8" tire still noticeably fat? And what confuses me more, is on a Specialized Fatboy, if I'm thinking of 52mm rim, would it still "feel" like a fatbike or is it not much of a difference that I might as well look at 27.5+ or 29+ instead?
    I'm currently kinda in the same boat as I've decided to go with 2 wheelsets (winter & summer sets). I've ran fat on 47mm Northpaws, 65mm MLs and 82mm RDs all on western NC singletrack. Also had a Krampus with 47mm 29" Northpaws & 3" Knards.

To me fat on a 47mm rim is still way more tire volume. It is still more cush and seems to handle really root sections at speed better (rigid on all accounts). In general the 29+ setup seems to carry way more momentum but was more harsh on my bad shoulder.

I'm currently debating 45-52mm setup with 3.8-4.0 tires vs WTB Scraper rims and 27.5+ 3-3.25" tires. I'd go with the Hugo in a heartbeat, if they would get the soft rim material issues sorted out. I emailed WTB asking if there was any chance of seeing a 26" Scraper rim at some point. They said not at this time, but they pay attention to what customers are wanting to buy. So.......maybe

Edit- you do have to run higher pressures with the 45-52mm rims and 3.8-4.0" tires, but it's still less than with a 27.5-29+ setup (at least in my testing)
    I normally run RDs with Bud F (8.5-9.5 psi) & Nate Rear (9.5-10psi )
    MLs with Nate F (9-10 psi) & Hudu R (10-11 psi)
    Only ran a fat northpaw on fat front, but ran 47mm Northpaw Nate Combo at 10.5-11.5 psi)
    Ran 47mm 29" Northpaws with 27 TPI Knards & tubes at 14-15 psi Front & 15-16 psi rear.
    FWIW
    Last edited by nitrousjunky; 03-06-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    My LBS told me this week they heard the first batch of Hugo's were a little thin. Apparently the second run is supposed to be beefed up to try to avoid the rim dent issue. No idea how true this is, just what I heard.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    A pic of a dented rim with the word 'soft' is alarming, but somewhat lean on facts.
    I have not seen many other rims with this user "warning", especially so early in the seasons, so that may be all the facts you need.

I have Scrapers on order for my 650b+ build and a set of Duallys in the bull pen.

I was told to skip Hugos for real world riding as the design looked "suspect". I guess they are no longer suspect....so maybe for light use only?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    the width of that rim really does not lend itself well to light use. Alas, I just sucked it up and ordered some Whiskys. my LBS hooked me up real good, I love them
    '15 Specialized Fatboy
    '14 Kona Zone Two
    '13 Surly Big Dummy

move on up...
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    the width of that rim really does not lend itself well to light use. Alas, I just sucked it up and ordered some Whiskys. my LBS hooked me up real good, I love them
    NICE!
    you
    wont
    regret
    it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hey all,

Anyone running these rims without constantly bending them? I am currently running a Rabbit Hole front with a standard 29 rear. Gonna be changing out the rear soon for plus model. I do not want to go less than 50mm and from what I have seen, my only options are Surly or Hugo and I am a heavy dude (230lbs). Anyone running these rims (Hugo 52) with success?

Thanks.

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighec View Post
    Hey all,

Anyone running these rims without constantly bending them? I am currently running a Rabbit Hole front with a standard 29 rear. Gonna be changing out the rear soon for plus model. I do not want to go less than 50mm and from what I have seen, my only options are Surly or Hugo and I am a heavy dude (230lbs). Anyone running these rims (Hugo 52) with success?

Thanks.
    Can comment of using the Hugo. But you should add the Sun Mulefut 50 and the WTB Scraper i45 to your list as well.

mtbr member
    Hey all,

Thanks.
    I just gave up on these rims and ordered a wheelset with the Scrapers. I'll let you know in a week or two how they are. I'm 210 + gear, and I want to use these wheels for some deep backcountry stuff. The possibility of bent rims is too risky.

mtbr member
    I've had great success with Stan's products over the years but I'd avoid Hugo. Stan's isn't really helping the issue either IMO. This a copy/paste from an email I got earlier this week from a wheel customer that went to Dirtfest at Ray's Town.

"I just got home from Dirtrag DirtFest and was talking to the Stan's demo guys about the Hugo's and they weren't very reassuring. They didn't even have them on display, had them in the truck and were cautious to endorse them for "aggressive trail use" at sub 20psi. Admitted the sidewalls were weak and prone to dent on impact with rocks--this is from Stan's themselves! So how have they fared for you?"

And this from a potential wheel customer;
    "According to the Stan's guy at Dirtfest, they didn't really intend the Hugo to be used with tires under 3.8" and they claim that is what the issue is/was, for what that's worth. A 4.0" tire looks good on it, nice and round for summer cornering."

That one had me scratching my head for two reasons.

1. They sent the 27.5 and 29 inch Hugo to market before a compatible tire existed?

2. The Niner ROS9+ was fitted with Hugo as OEM before a 29x3.8 tire existed?

I'm surprised they haven't recalled these before somebody gets hurt. My rear rim was dented to the point of being unable to hold air in less than ten miles. My front Hugo made it about twice as far before a very benign root strike caused instant depressurization that almost put me on the ground. Any faster and I'm sure I would have been. I beat it back straight and finished my ride but I was slow and a little scared. Mine are 27.5 and I was running 3.5 Fat B Nimble at 16psi. I'm 210lbs geared up.

Stan's sent me 2nd generation warranty replacements and for the record, the rear rim is still dent free after two rides and approximately thirty miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Damn. Looks like tubeless is a no go for me then. I want 50mm or more and a 3 inch tire. Rabbit holes it is, I guess. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Typical Stans rim. Lighter than shit, and holds up just as good.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Typical Stans rim. Lighter than shit, and holds up just as good.
    Nah--1st gen Hugo's were levels less durable than standard Stans rims.

mtbr member
    Damn. Looks like tubeless is a no go for me then. I want 50mm or more and a 3 inch tire. Rabbit holes it is, I guess. Thanks for the feedback.
    Nextie makes a nice 50mm rim. I have a couple of 27.5 rims with 3.25" Vee Trax Fatties on them that work well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'll look into them. thx.

WNC Native
    Curious, why not go with the WTB i45 Scraper then???

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I am a stans fanboy but just bent my hugo on the first ride doing nothing agressive. I would give these rims a STRONG do not buy at the moment. Too bad, they set up so nice tubeless.

Ill let you know how painful the replacement/ money back goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    Curious, why not go with the WTB i45 Scraper then???
    I was looking for 50mm and up, but I'll prob buy the WTB. I've never had any issues with them before.

WNC Native
    I was looking for 50mm and up, but I'll prob buy the WTB. I've never had any issues with them before.
    It is though, i45 stands for internal width of 45mm. If I remember correctly the external width is 50-51mm.

mtbr member
    Stan's is replacing the early Hugo's with a slightly burlier version that hopefully won't dent so easily I sent my wheelset back and they laced the wheels with the new ones

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Nah--1st gen Hugo's were levels less durable than standard Stans rims.
    Do you know if the rims currently being sold are still 1st gen - or revamped?

Thanks

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    It is though, i45 stands for internal width of 45mm. If I remember correctly the external width is 50-51mm.
    Thats good news. Thanks a million.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast