mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Smile Notes from a fat bike newbie

I bought a 2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 at the end of February because I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I absolutely suck at skiing. I've had more fun on the Mukluk in the past two months than I've had in the past several winters combined.

I'd call myself a casual bicycle rider. I've been very surprised not only at what the bike can handle but what I can handle on this bike. I did about 14 miles today on varied conditions, everything from dry pavement to soft melting snow to slush to skating-rink quality ice to mud.

The only thing the bike isn't great on is ice. Even on ice the bike's handling is predictable and stable.

I bought this as a winter bike, but it's just so much fun that I doubt I can leave it in the garage all summer.

Nemophilist
    Hey;

They are versatile machines. From deep snow in Winter to packing down all the ruts that the skinny tired bikes are leaving in the Spring mud, to a really fast paced blast (middle 4-5 stuff) along winding river bottom trails today. Fatbikes; They're not just for Snow anymore!
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

Laramie, Wyoming
    They do change winter life. Glad you've found something that works for you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    My "summer bike" is a Marin Redwood a comfort hybrid. I've mostly stuck to the paved trails around town in the summer with the Redwood since that's what it's made for.

I'll probably end up venturing off the pavement this summer on the fat bike. After seeing how well it handled on really wet sloppy mud today, I have a lot more confidence in my ability to ride over just about anything.

Nemophilist
    Well...

Comfort Hybrid to Fat MTB-ing? Take it easy out there, Pilgrim.
    Most people ply the Well Trodden Path. A few seek a different way, and leave a Trail behind.
    - John Hajny, a.k.a. TrailMaker

mtbr member
    I always reach for the fattie first. There really isn't much it can't do. It has changed the way I ride my other bikes as well. I bought mine initially because I hated the trainer in the winter....sorry spinning mindlessly while staring at my wall(or a TV) is no fun. But it was so much more than that. Sand. Mud. Paved. Singletrack. Actually, snow riding is my LEAST favorite way to use the bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paynetc View Post
    I bought a 2013 Salsa Mukluk 3 at the end of February because I live in Anchorage, Alaska and I absolutely suck at skiing. I've had more fun on the Mukluk in the past two months than I've had in the past several winters combined.

I'd call myself a casual bicycle rider. I've been very surprised not only at what the bike can handle but what I can handle on this bike. I did about 14 miles today on varied conditions, everything from dry pavement to soft melting snow to slush to skating-rink quality ice to mud.

The only thing the bike isn't great on is ice. Even on ice the bike's handling is predictable and stable.

I bought this as a winter bike, but it's just so much fun that I doubt I can leave it in the garage all summer.
    I, too, live in Anchorage and the fatties shine this time of year. I got my Pugs last spring -late May - and rode it all summer long. It is insane how much fun the fatties are on the singletrack. They are a bit slower, but I've found that I'm able to ride things that I would have not been able to ride on my full squish Giant (RIP). Roots and rocks, mud and snow. They can go places others can't. And riding around on what is essentially a big boy's Tonka truck can't help but put a smile on one's face. Welcome to the club and I'm sure I'll see you out there on the trails some day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailMaker View Post
    Well...

Comfort Hybrid to Fat MTB-ing? Take it easy out there, Pilgrim.
    Yeah. Anchorage is a great town in which to take it easy on a bike. We have an amazingly great paved trail system in town that's groomed in the winter for skiing and hiking. That's where I've spent most of my time as I get used to this bike.

There's also more challenging trails very close by, of course, and I'll start seeking those out soon. Although, the nearest trails to me have a bit of a bear issue.