mtbr member

No trace? sadly, no, trace.

I took the pugs out yesterday. It was 40+, the snow has mostly melted and the ground is actually starting to thaw- weirdest february in Wisconsin I've ever seen.

Does a 4" tire leave tracks in wet mud? yup. Big ones. not as deep as 2" tires, but it was pretty substantial.

Does a 4" tire leave tracks in wet grass? yup. Not as bad as 2" tires, but it left a mark.

I was on a set of dedicated mountain bike trails so I felt kinda bad, but wasn't worried that my tracks were going to cause problems with the normals, but come mud season, I'm not gonna be taking the pugs hoping it'll leave no trace.

For me, it's all still a learning process and again, I've heard all kinds of overblown statements about the actual capabilities of fatbikes- they float over all terrain, they leave no trace, they leave less damage than boots, etc.

Nuts
    Yeah this sucks! We hit Bear Paw in langlaid Wi on Saturday, we made it through the ride but almost down to a t-shirt. We really had to ride fast to keep up with the snow.
    And I love beer!!

Chronic Underachiever
    You know what doesn't leave a trace? Freddie's Revenz Lites on lake ice.

Plan C

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    ...For me, it's all still a learning process and again, I've heard all kinds of overblown statements about the actual capabilities of fatbikes- they float over all terrain,
    More than most, but not all.
    they leave no trace,
    Can leave less trace
    they leave less damage than boots, etc.
    True, in many conditions.

Even a hovercraft leaves a trace.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MauricioB View Post
    You know what doesn't leave a trace? Freddie's Revenz Lites on lake ice.

Plan C
    Rode on the lake last weekend... the next day a couple fishing shacks fell through. Sooooooo, I'm kinda staying off the ice.

It's weird- there have been years where right now we'd have 2 feet of ice right now but I'd be surprised if we've got 6" right now, and it's not consistent. ugh.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    OP, what was your tire pressure?

mtbr member
    As far as I'm concerned, if I leave less of an impression than a footprint, it's a win.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if I leave less of an impression than a footprint, it's a win.

At 4-5 psi, my feet sink into the ground when I stop the Mukluk on soft ground more than the bike sinks when I'm riding.

mtbr member
    I pretty much gave up the Fatbike for the season here in Ohio. Taking up the spring road riding and skateboarding. We have been in the 50s and 60s for the past few weeks. Very strange.

PMC
    mtbr member
    May 2004
    MN is suffering the same fate, way too many days of 40+ degrees.
    Makes for fine road riding but the trails take a pounding if you ride them. I'm actually looking forward to the colder temps on tap for this weekend as I'll be able to ride my ML again.

Geordie biker
    I ride coastal areas so have no worries about leaving tracks, I have seen genuine mtb trails ruined beyond repair within a few shorts months here in uk though
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Luckily up here in bemidji we have had sub 32 temps at least, makes for a sloppy ride but it is fun, temps got down to -8 last night so I'll be commuting 12mi in the ditches! Thank you snowmobiles for grooming perfect conditions haha, I love the look on drivers faces seeing a bike ride the ditches

Bite Me.
    Tracks? We don't leave no stinkin' tracks....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No trace? sadly, no, trace.-marion-1.jpg  

When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

=========
    sanday

Freeze thaw is really tough on trails....I've been doing a fare share of winter beach riding because of the lack of snow in Wisconsin. I saw a Bald Eagle on a beach ride, last sunday. No worries about leaving ruts in the sand.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~ View Post
    sanday

Freeze thaw is really tough on trails....I've been doing a fare share of winter beach riding because of the lack of snow in Wisconsin. I saw a Bald Eagle on a beach ride, last sunday. No worries about leaving ruts in the sand.
    This has been my one... disappointment with fatbikes. Probably more disappointment with the lack of winter this year than the bike but still, one of the things I was hoping for was to be able to do more MTB-type riding close to my house- ride the xc ski trails in the woods nearby, even ride the skate ski tails at the local golf course. But with not much snow and not a lot of freeze, the Pugs is just as much a PITA as a normal MTB- gotta throw it on the car, drive to the trails or to somewhere it won't do damage.

But honestly, that's more about the weather than the bike.

mtbr member

Smaller Footprint Than The Deer

This past Saturday I rode 30 miles on a very muddy off-road bike trail. Yes, my Surly Nate tires left a faint path in the mud -- but not nearly as deep as the tracks left by the deers. However, the deers do not pay any property taxes to maintain the trails, so I don't feel too bad about it at all.

mtbr member
    So what kind of tire pressure are you riding?

mtbr member
    I run my Nates at a higher pressure than I did the Larry/Endo combo. In the snow I run the Nates at 10 PSI, but in the mud I was running at 15 PSI without any problem. However, the 2 inches of mud was sitting on top of a frozen base, so my tires had something to grab onto.

Karma Vampire
    Quote Originally Posted by All Seasons Cyclist View Post
    ...However, the deers do not pay any property taxes to maintain the trails, so I don't feel too bad about it at all.
    Our situation here is that fellow tax paying (not property tax BTW) trail users get irate if the trails get used when soft. The most irate are fellow bikers.

Though, I doubt actual tax money is spent on the trails. Most of it goes to bridges, signage and chainsaw work. The rest is done by volunteers, mostly bikers.

For me the Fatbike purchase was spurred on by childhood memories of snow, lots of it. Oh how times have changed. Still a child though :-)

Pray or dance for snow!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Again View Post
    Our situation here is that fellow tax paying (not property tax BTW) trail users get irate if the trails get used when soft. The most irate are fellow bikers....
    They need to be introduced to the wonders of fat tyres.

I usually do a bit of trail maintenance on any ride, eg if I see a pool forming, I'll hop off and kick a drain channel to the side, or shift loose rocks. If all riders did this instead of trying to blast through, then there wouldn't be much so much of a problem. It's the way natural trails were maintained by our ancestors with the result the heavier the traffic, the more maintenance the trail would get. (Obviously trail centres are a different case)

Otherwise full coverage mudguards (fenders) are a good idea.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    ha, haaa, doing that kind of trail maintenance around here will get you yelled at for not following the master plan and not being part of an official work party.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by buckfiddious View Post
    [...] But honestly, that's more about the weather than the bike.
    I can tell you from personal experience that it's the weather, not the bike. 2009 and 2010 were glorious by comparison. 2011-2012 has so far been a real thumb-twiddler around here for fat biking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    Problem is what we had this weekend was an inch or 2 of thawed mud over still frozen ground and that makes it really easy to tear sh!t up- hit your brakes (even lightly) in the wrong spot and watch a massive chunk of ground shift under your tires... kinda like riding on fresh snow over glaze ice.

In retrospect, it would have been wiser not to ride at all...

Same conditions muddy conditions on fully thawed ground wouldn't have been nearly as bad.