wheelmanron
    May 2009

No surly tires on GFS rims?

Hello all. I have read on the Vicious Cycles website that Surly tires are not to be used on GFS rims. Does anyone have an idea why?

=========
    oops I've been in violation for the past few years.
    owner/raconteur at fat-bike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Do you have a link to that info? Couldn't find it myself. Find it hard to believe that would be true. When those rims were introduced, Surly was pretty much the only tire available.
    Vicious also shows Surly tires on what look to be GFS rims on their own fatbike. I've run nothing but Surly tires on GFS rims for 3 plus years with no issues if that helps any.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I asked a QBP rep about this and he told me it has to do with the bead and rim profile aren't quite perfect together and at low pressures the Surly tires will come off the rim/not stay seated. Funny thing is, he recommended the Origin* devistater tire- from a "competing" distributor. I've run Nate on my GFS half fat as low as 7psi and never had a problem. This first time i installed it though, it didnt seat very well but the bead worked into the rim after about 5min of ride time. Long story short, if you want to do these 3-4psi floatilla of death snow rides, it *might* not be the best combo. I only stress might.
    AdamJ

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    2011 Mukluks came stock with GFS rims and Surly Larrys. I haven't had any issues with mine.

Tigard, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by 47flattie View Post
    2011 Mukluks came stock with GFS rims and Surly Larrys. I haven't had any issues with mine.
    Same as my Mukluk, and no issues!
    2011 Salsa Mukluk / 2006 KTM 400 EXC

mtbr member
    Had an Endo on GFS for the last two years as my rear wheel. Running a Nate on GFS right now, no problem and I run then at all kind of psi.??????
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

wheelmanron
    May 2009
    Bikeman Vicious 32 hole Graceful Fat Sheba Snow/Sand Rim. Spoke holes drilled offset for Surly Pugsley

I also saw it on the qbp site at work. I am not saying anyone is doing anything wrong, I am thinking of getting a set myself. Being 265lbs, I was just a little worried about that warning.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is a weird, and, as far as I know, recently posted warning. I find it especially interesting that QBP would warn about it, considering that they spec'd all of last year's Mukluks with those rims.

Interesting that the Bikeman site has two photos of two different rims. One is the standard single wall Sheba, the other has the same profile but is a double wall rim.

Lots of people (myself included) have been running standard 3.7 Surly tires on Sheba rims, in many different conditions, with no problems at all. There are definitely higher-quality options for rims out there now, but I would say that you'll be fine if you go with them.