mtbr member
    Dec 2009

No joy for Hanebrink fat bikes?

Why isn't there much, if any enthusiasm about the Hanebrink? First glance at the specs with 8" wide tires; one could gather it is the ultimate fat bike. Yet I recall seeing very little discussion about the (now) Fortune Hanebrink bike. Sure their main push seems to be the electric assist version, but there is a pedal only version too. For those not familiar with the FH bike:
    http://www.fortunehanebrink.com/

All the "excitement" about the coming Moonlander with 4.5" Big Fat Larry tires, made me wonder why a bike with 8" tires doesn't have people jumping up and down with joy. Curious to what other people think.

UR

mtbr member

Maybe just a little too extreme to my liking. Tires are surely really wide but otherwise way too small. And it looks ugly. But would be interesting to test ride that freak.
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

Slow But Still Pedaling
    Interesting (would love to try one) but looks like it's being sold as an electric and weighs 85 lbs - I question whether this is really for the same market.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    are they even still making those? (think there's your answer right there!)
    8" wide is fine n dandy but small diameter is small diameter.

read any thread about new products and witness the "well I'd like it to work with XXXXX that I already have!" comments.
    hannebrink's even more incompatible than most fatbikes!

but if you do a search for hannebrinks on this site, and this is probably the only forum you'll find them in.

oh, official new guy ribbing: "looks flexy, chainstays are too long, but is it AM?"
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

Really I am that slow
    rode one very briefly at interbike last year and it was the funnest electric setup.... but found myself thinking even without all the batts and stuff a pugs just rides better
    Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've got an old one, bought it well used and only rode it a few times before I tore it down and discovered many many totally spent parts, many now obsolete so some modification & fabrication will be needed to refurbish and improve it. The first Hanebrink "Big Bikes" had 8" wide custom made rims and at least 2" taller tires (also custom grooved). I imagine it worked much better in the soft sand than the later models. It has been speculated that the early models didn't ride well in anything but soft sand, so to appeal to a more "all around" use and to get the weight down, They trimmed the rims down to 4" (width) and also lessened the amount of rubber attached to them. Mine is the early model frame w/ the later model wheels/tires. I did take it to the beach and put it through the paces... was disappointed in the performance from the start. With the narrow rims the short, 8" wide tires can only be aired down so far without acting like a flat tire. Even rode one off the bead trying to get floatation out of it. If I was going to seriously ride something this heavy, it darn well deliver me something special performance wise. Our current fat bikes out perform the old H without comparison... all day long! That said, I love owning one and hope to someday rebuild it with 8" wide wheels and as big and light of tires as I can fit in. Very fun to haul a case of beer to the beach fire on! (mine has a huge rack).

mtbr member
    I just on a trail in Big Bear yesterday on my Mukluk and a local was telling me about these bikes. He said they were made locally. Interesting idea.