Perpetual n00b

No going back now

I began training this week for a local race scheduled in April and I thought maybe I should get a skinny tire bike to actually race with. I got my brothers Columbia Trailhead 26er (cheapo bike) and started swapping necessary components to it (Mary handlebar, BB7 brakes, Thomson stem, fenders etc.). So I got it all together last night, rode it around the block a few times, then up and down the 18% grade hill at the end of the street. It was all good, or so it seemed...

So today I took the 26er out to the island where the race is to be held and attempted to do 7 miles. I made it 1 mile. The ride was so harsh. The bike felt so small. Every root, rock, bump, and obstruction stopped the bike dead in its tracks. There was NO momentum! There was NO float! To keep moving, I had to keep pedaling non-stop. I was tired and my arms were sore after just 1 mile.

I went back home and got the Mukluk back together and took it out to the island. I managed 8 miles, after yesterdays 13 miles. I breathed a deep sigh of relief and promised to never doubt the Mukluk again. I'll be riding it in the race instead of the 26er.

If anyone is curious, the race is called the Sylvan Island Stampede, held in Moline, Illinois on April 15th.

Geordie biker

I know what you mean, riding fatbikes you get used to being able to ride over things that you'd usually avoid!
    2014 milage so far - 2,167
    www.ukfatbikes.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I love my fat bike as much as the next guy, but it won't be replacing my 26ers anytime soon. I like to race XC and comparing the speed of my Pugsley vs my Scott Scale RC is like comparing a Ford F350 to a Ferrari F430.

apples vs oranges
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No going back now-pugsley-001.jpg  

No going back now-scale_009.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I love my fat bike as much as the next guy, but it won't be replacing my 26ers anytime soon. I like to race XC and comparing the speed of my Pugsley vs my Scott Scale RC is like comparing a Ford F350 to a Ferrari F430.

apples vs oranges
    Man those are ugly bikes

mtbr member
    I love my fat bike as much as the next guy, but it won't be replacing my 26ers anytime soon.
    Hmmm I'm trying soooo hard to find the love for 26", but after months on the fatty, it just feels wrong. I could quite happily live in the world of big wheelers
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BobShort View Post
    Man those are ugly bikes
    Nah, Singular's aren't that ugly.

Expert Crasher
    They have a fat bike category in that race. In Moline on a business trip, stopped in to Bike & Hike, great bunch of dudes there. Met the FORC founder as well.
    Happiness depends more on the inward disposition of mind than on outward circumstances. Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member

apples vs oranges
    my sentiments exactly. Eventually i'll add a HT 29er to my stable and have my choice on a moments notice.

Perpetual n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLightGo View Post
    They have a fat bike category in that race. In Moline on a business trip, stopped in to Bike & Hike, great bunch of dudes there. Met the FORC founder as well.
    Should have given a holler! We could have given you the tour of the island!

The fat bike category is new this year and we are hoping to get people from all over to come race. Fat bikes are extremely popular in the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area and we are hoping to get them down for the race. Also hoping for some Wisco/MORC folks to come down and race as well. The fatter the crowd the better!