mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Niner RDO carbon 780 vs. RaceFace Atlas 785 alum for 907 fatbike w/clyde rider ??

In short, I am about 235 pounds and I love riding my fatbike. I was down to 225 a month ago but recently gained the weight back...aaaaghhh!!! Anyhow, I am considering upgrading my handlebars. I am currently running a KORE 800mm aluminum OCD bar with a 20mm rise and am considering a 780 Niner RDO flat bar (carbon or flat top aluminum) or a 785 Race Face Atlas flat bar (aluminum).

What are other riders experience with carbon vs. aluminum handlebars on a fatbike? Especially when dealing with the wider bars and heavier riders? I am feeling flex with the KORE which I do not care for. For the past year or so I had been running an Azonic DH bar at 762mm with a 3" rise but would run spacers above the stem. I have been comfortable with the Azonic handlebars but hear about the dampening effects of carbon and was wondering if I am missing out?

I like the 800mm width but realistically they are a little too wide for the singeltrack at some of my favorite loops. I am leaning towards the RaceFace as I have had good luck with their stems and I would assume they are built for a more "robust" rider

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I think your current bar will feel less flexy if you were to try cutting them down by 10-15mm on each side. I really don't think carbon is going to be the answer based on your description, but i could be wrong as alot of it its personal preference. Good luck!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm running a Loaded Xlite Carbon Riser Bar (680 width) on my Pug and that thing is stiff as heck.

That said, I'd try cutting your current bars down a bit and see what you think - I agree with 98srx6 that you'll probably notice less flex.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey thanks for the feedback. I should have been a little more clear that I wanted to get back to a flat bar so that would rule the Kore Low Rise bar out even if it did not have the flex. I would stick with the 800mm but it is a little too wide. 762mm (30 inches) was fine but I do like the wider bars. It does not sound as if carbon would be the holy grail either. I have definitely bought into the wide bar, short stem camp.