Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    This place needs an enema

Nice pogie option.

Anyone seen these yet?
    POGIES, NEW - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I spotted 'em a few days ago. It ain't remotely cold enough here, now, to need 'em, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a set for the missus, and these looked like the right combo of price and features. So I ordered a set.

They came this afternoon, and seem about perfect for the wife: basic, light, and with a light fleece inside for barehanded comfort. Will report back in a month or three when she's gotten some miles on 'em.

MC

'Calm Down'
    They look very similar to Moose Mitts made here in Michigan. For riding around here where winter riding temps aren't often below the teens, they're just about perfect.

jw

Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Anyone seen these yet?
    POGIES, NEW - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

I spotted 'em a few days ago. It ain't remotely cold enough here, now, to need 'em, but I've been keeping my eyes peeled for a set for the missus, and these looked like the right combo of price and features. So I ordered a set.

They came this afternoon, and seem about perfect for the wife: basic, light, and with a light fleece inside for barehanded comfort. Will report back in a month or three when she's gotten some miles on 'em.

MC
    -

"And single-speeding 29ers are mountain biking's equivalent of Scientologists..." - Captain Dondo

Black Sheep rising
    Also similar to these, at half the price.

FWIW, I have a pair of these, and they are VERY warm. But the extended "sleeve" makes them a bit harder to get in/out of vis-a-vis the Moose Mitts. This is likely less of an issue for someone more "normal-sized" (I am huge ).
    Let the market decide!

N42.58 W83.06

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by utabintarbo View Post
    Also similar to these, at half the price.

FWIW, I have a pair of these, and they are VERY warm. But the extended "sleeve" makes them a bit harder to get in/out of vis-a-vis the Moose Mitts. This is likely less of an issue for someone more "normal-sized" (I am huge ).
    I've got something similar from a farm and fleet store. $20.00 plus tax.

Really warm! Has pockets inside for extra hand warmers, or food.

I used 'em a couple of times, but even at -10 below they were too warm for my tastes. I shed them and went with some Thermafleece gloves the rest of the time which works great for me.

I will try them again this winter in windy weather and sub-freezing temps. I can't imagine needing them much though.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post

Got mine at Fleet too and agree that they're really warm. I just wear some polypro liner gloves when I'm using them and take a pair of warm gloves along in case I stop.

They're great in windy conditions, but overall not worlds better than the ski mittens I was using before. The really nice thing about them is that they'll hold a lot of food and keep most of it from freezing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    will those cabela's ones work with an h-bar?
    want to make my own pair, but for $25 its hard not to just buy em and try em so i can figure out what may or may not work.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    will those cabela's ones work with an h-bar?
    want to make my own pair, but for $25 its hard not to just buy em and try em so i can figure out what may or may not work.
    I've used mine exclusively on a Titec H-bar and it works just fine:

Snowy 9:Zero:7
    Lake Riding

Though they are a little big and floppy. Currently considering something else...maybe making something or looking into the ones MC originally posted above.

My cup runneth over
    I used Bar Mitts last winter in CO - less protection than those above - perhaps an option if they are too warm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Just chiming in here. The Pogies posted are a direct copy of our Moose Mitts. We have several design patents on our features that seem to have been lifted by the OP's link. These are NOT Moose Mitts but a knock off.

here is a link to our original Moose Mitts, created for cyclist by cyclist...our design patents are for several items that we developed over the years (which the OP's link shows have been copied).

AMF Threadworks Bike Mits

end soap box

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The OP ones have a "boning" in them and the reflective stripe is in a different spot, plus the interior isn't blue. Not an exact copy, but close, certainly in shape and attachment.

For the extra $10, I'd rather get the real Moose Mitts from the source, instead of the knockoff.

FWIW, I have Moose Mitts and I love them. Short review up on my blog.
    Jason
    Disclaimer: www.paramountsports.net

I'm not a lawyer. Nor am I an expert on low-budget pogies like yours. And I don't know the first thing about patents except what I heard about them on NPR.

I'd just like to point out that the 70-something lady-down-the-street that made about 30 pairs of these on her basement Singer probably hasn't spent a lot of time researching patents. Nor do I believe that she copied anything of yours. Or anyone else's. She doesn't ride, never has, she simply made some bar coverings to keep her kid's hands warm. When he asked her to improve them she did. When his friends had cold hands she made them some.

Sorry to hear that this fierce, dogged, cutthroat competition is harshing your mellow.

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    These days patents aren't what they used to be (design patents anyway)... unless you can afford a panel of lawyers to fight for it. Big companies can and will chew up your patent and spit it out! And they (patents) can not stop you from making your own for yourself or as "gift's for your friends.

100+ wheel-build club

I used 'em a couple of times, but even at -10 below they were too warm for my tastes. I shed them and went with some Thermafleece gloves the rest of the time which works great for me.

I will try them again this winter in windy weather and sub-freezing temps. I can't imagine needing them much though.
    Can you tell me more about these Farm and Fleet pogies? For snow mobile use I suppose. Name brand? Shopping for the wife soon. PS-the pogies I am STILL using are Madden brand. They are 16 years old!
    "Go that way REAL FAST, if something gets in your way... turn".

Harrumph
    Something something imitation is the most sincere form of flattery something something....

They sound VERY similar, I'm not one to discourage DIY stuff. But there's a difference in copying something for your personal use and another to publicly sell it.

If I started making and selling for 10bucks less frame bags designed specifically to fit each size frame of their respective bike. The feature set has been refined through years of extensive use to let you carry stuff.....

I'd expect to hear about it.

That said, this seems like the "Goldilocks Formula" for Pogies. Giant gloves suck, monster cheap ATV mitts are waaaaaay overkill. The MooseMitt.......and MooseMitt-ish style are perfect for a huge range of cold weather cycling.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness

'Tis but a scratch
    I have Moose Mitts. I can go bare hands inside these babies in 20 degrees. If it gets colder I wear thin glove liners inside. They are simply awesome! The price was good and I felt like I was supporting a good small business..."for cyclists, by cyclists". Looks like the other thing is a knock-off at the same price range. So, why not support the original instead of enabling the copy-cat.

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny settle View Post
    Can you tell me more about these Farm and Fleet pogies? For snow mobile use I suppose. Name brand?
    They're branded for ATV use under the name "Quad Gear" and you can also get them from Cabela's.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny settle View Post
    Can you tell me more about these Farm and Fleet pogies? For snow mobile use I suppose. Name brand? Shopping for the wife soon. PS-the pogies I am STILL using are Madden brand. They are 16 years old!
    They are branded "ATV Bar Mitts" and compared to Moose Mitts or the originally linked item, the ATV Bar Mitts are ginormous. I found mine could cover the entire bar from stem to bar end and would go up to my elbows if I wanted to.

I guess it depends on what you want, but these worked great, and have an inner pocket on each for hand warmers, or grub, I suppose if you wanted that.

Again, I think they are overkill, and definitely are an adaptation for a specific purpose, but for the money, it's hard to spend more when these work fine. I can see going to the more minimalistic Moose Mitts for some reasons, but for as little as I will probably need or want to use pogies, I am set for now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nice pogie option.-mukluktwo-005.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by huffster View Post
    I have Moose Mitts. I can go bare hands inside these babies in 20 degrees. If it gets colder I wear thin glove liners inside. They are simply awesome! The price was good and I felt like I was supporting a good small business..."for cyclists, by cyclists". Looks like the other thing is a knock-off at the same price range. So, why not support the original instead of enabling the copy-cat.
    I could not agree more

I am ordering a pair of Moose Mitts!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I'm not a lawyer. Nor am I an expert on low-budget pogies like yours. And I don't know the first thing about patents except what I heard about them on NPR.

I'd just like to point out that the 70-something lady-down-the-street that made about 30 pairs of these on her basement Singer probably hasn't spent a lot of time researching patents. Nor do I believe that she copied anything of yours. Or anyone else's. She doesn't ride, never has, she simply made some bar coverings to keep her kid's hands warm. When he asked her to improve them she did. When his friends had cold hands she made them some.

Sorry to hear that this fierce, dogged, cutthroat competition is harshing your mellow.

Cheers,

MC

Little harsh yourself, no? I didn't think Sherpaboy's post was over the top...was it? He was just pointing out that they have a patented product that is made by cyclists for cyclists. For some, paying a relatively small premium for such a product is worthwhile. For others, not. Either way, he wasn't pushing the issue too hard.

We're all fatties together, here!

mtbr member

For what it's worth, four of us were out riding with the Trail's Edge Moose Mitts yesterday because it was in the mid-20s and windy. I had the velcro around the bars a little loose to provide some venting, and wore summer-weight Pearl Izumi Elite MTB gloves with them, and my hands were perfectly comfortable the whole ride. As mentioned above I probably could go bare handed with them but as I don't ever ride bare handed anyway I wouldn't try.

I really do like these. They'll be on my bike again today when I'm riding; in about two hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    They are branded "ATV Bar Mitts" and compared to Moose Mitts or the originally linked item, the ATV Bar Mitts are ginormous. ...
    GT...Those look GINORMOUS indeed. Much more so than my cabela's version.

Like the fleets, the cableas go from bar end to stem (I actually overlap the vecro from r to l and vice versa to keep it all sung and no air gaps)...

But I might modify them (or sew my own from scratch) because while they do work on the jones loop bars, the angle isn't just right and the opening not quite big enough, that getting in is a bit of work.

There are quite a few nice homemade designs on the bikepacking website too...

g

mtbr member
    I'm amazed it's possible to patent anything to do with bar mitts or in-frame luggage.

There's plenty prior art going back to the 1890s.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

Chronic Underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Velobike View Post
    I'm amazed it's possible to patent anything to do with bar mitts or in-frame luggage.

There's plenty prior art going back to the 1890s.
    Agreed. This forum really would not be the place to begin one's study of patent law.

rth009
    May 2010
    [QUOTE= Will report back in a month or three when she's gotten some miles on 'em.

MC[/QUOTE]

So, do you have a follow up? How did they work out for your wife? Im trying to decide btween BarMitts, Moose Mitts and these. Id like to get the Moose Mitts, but the website says there is a backorder and I wont have any fingers left if I wait 2-3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rth009 View Post
    So, do you have a follow up? How did they work out for your wife? Im trying to decide btween BarMitts, Moose Mitts and these. Id like to get the Moose Mitts, but the website says there is a backorder and I wont have any fingers left if I wait 2-3 weeks.
    Hasn't been cold enough for her to need them yet. Probably will be in the next few weeks though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast