Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    That tape is only 48mm wide. I've always used tape wide enough that the tire bead sits on top. That way, air pressure isn't trying to force air or stans under the tape edge. Does that not matter?
    It only needs to adhere to the carbon surface and cover the spoke holes, the carbon rim shape does the rest.

To get the tape down in the "valley" and sticking perfectly with no air bubbles requires forearm popping effort, the 8898 tape will stretch slightly and this helps... but the last few bubbles need to be smoothed out with a heat gun.

Good luck using any wider
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    It only needs to adhere to the carbon surface and cover the spoke holes, the carbon rim shape does the rest.

To get the tape down in the "valley" and sticking perfectly with no air bubbles requires forearm popping effort, the 8898 tape will stretch slightly and this helps... but the last few bubbles need to be smoothed out with a heat gun.

Good luck using any wider
    Hmmm, so we've got recommendations both ways. Full width tape is necessary and full width tape is not necessary.

I've always done full width in the past with the reasoning that it doesn't rely on the tape sticking to keep an air tight seal. Instead it is just the tire bead needing to be pressed against the tape/side-wall to form a seal.

Have you done up a pair of nextie rims this way ozzybmx?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Instead of tape, has anybody tried a sealant such as 3 m 5200? Maybe seat the spokes in the rim with a dab in each hole? I have to idea if the spokes move around once in use...

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalBikeman View Post
    Instead of tape, has anybody tried a sealant such as 3 m 5200? Maybe seat the spokes in the rim with a dab in each hole? I have to idea if the spokes move around once in use...
    If you want to run sealant that would make a mess between the double walls and not sure if it would work very good.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hmmm, didn't think about the double walls. I wonder about bedding the spokes with a small patch of butal rubber with a tiny spoke hole like a wAsher but flexible and capable of being drawn up to a low pressure seal by spoke tension. Maybe I'll try something like that when I get my rims.

aka bOb
    Just have em drilled for internal nipples and be done with it. Extra time feeding them in but in the end no tape needed.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post

Have you done up a pair of nextie rims this way ozzybmx?
    Yes, yellow ones are done this way now and I've tried one of the greens with a Bud. When the spokes arrive, both my nextie sets will be tubeless this way.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello,

So for Belgium is it impossible to get the nexties. We mailed, phoned again and again for three weeks and still we still have no wheels ordered

No nexties for me anymore

Fat & Single
    Ok gents, being a bit of the pioneers on carbon fat bike rims... its all trial and error. We are buying the new rims and basically testing them for the suppliers with our different tyre combos, temperature and terrain.

I originally set up my Nexties with 8898 tape but the tape is too wide, this is not immediately obvious as its stretches slightly and and can be shaped by heat to leave a smooth looking job.

The reality is that it starts to peel back and lets stans under the tape as it peels back under the tightness applied to make its stick in the first place.

So I stripped it off and used some of my old fave, Fibreglass reinforced tape (filament tape/strapping tape), at 25mm wide and zero stretch it can be applied very tight and make an awesome seal.

I did this 2 weeks ago and now have about 200km on the wheel (the back has still 8898), will be doing the rear in the next few days before it fails.

Here's a few pics of it covering the spoke access holes just before I sealed it up.

I am 100% confident on this set-up this time, apologies to anyone who bought 8898 tape for these wheels on my recommendation... as I said, we are the testers.

EDIT: There is about 4 wraps of tape weighing bugger all, prob ~10-15g . One wrap in the middle, one high right, one high left and another in the middle for luck.

Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the update. Not having a 150mm hub to build the front wheel, I haven't bought any tape yet and am interested in how this works out.

So it's the non-stetchable nature of the fiber reinforced strapping tape that makes it preferable to the 8898 tape? That seems counter-intuitive given how the outer edges of the tape will need to stretch over a larger circumference than the middle part of the tape. I've got no experience in tubeless on such wide rims so this is just pondering on my part rather than criticism.

Is that the optimal tape or would you buy something different if you didn't already have that type?

It seems like something full width would be good so that it doesn't rely on the tape adhesive to form a seal. But I'm not sure how that can be done with the deep channel in the middle of the this rim.

Fat & Single
    Its very very slightly stretchable and can stretch just enough to stick to the "off camber" wall of the rim. The narrow width is the ticket to fill the valley, wide tape is not an option IMO. It will peel off over time and once stans gets under it, its a fail waiting to happen.

I will be buying some more filament tape for my other set, pretty confident this is the way to go.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Laramie, Wyoming
    Okay Ozzy, one more test for you do to since you are the "OFFICIAL TESTER". We need to know how the bead holds at temps between 0 and -30 F. If you can get that done, that would really help those of us who are waiting until all the tests are in before purchasing.

Fat & Single
    OK... I don't believe my testing chambers (Southern Hemisphere, Australia) drops below +3... that's the coldest it gets here, im relying on Mike C to fill them gaps in
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I know all you Fat Bikers are nice and cool and all.. But lets let some others chime in on the new 40mm Nextie hookless!!! I was about to get some 35mm from LB but having seen these and with actual test data.. I'm more inclined to go this route!!

Carbon Fiber 650B/27.5" MTB Rim 40mm width Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible Mountain Bike [NXT650BH01]

mtbr member
    i am having a friend coming over and test his 40mm wheels on my bike converted to 650b, to make sure there is enough clearance, and if there is, i am pulling trigger on fat rims and these new 40mm hookless.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icdesign View Post
    I know all you Fat Bikers are nice and cool and all.. But lets let some others chime in on the new 40mm Nextie hookless!!! I was about to get some 35mm from LB but having seen these and with actual test data.. I'm more inclined to go this route!!

Carbon Fiber 650B/27.5" MTB Rim 40mm width Clincher Hookless Tubeless Compatible Mountain Bike [NXT650BH01]
    I have a set of the Derby 40mm 27.5 rims, and just found out about the Nextie ones. The light layup Derby rim weighs 440 grams, and the Nextie claims 360 grams. I emailed them about it and they said that weight is correct and it passes all of their testing. But he also said they were considering adding another layer of carbon and then they would weigh 380 grams. The price is right, but I am glad I went with a tested rim from a company with excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    good point, i also inquired about heavy duty build as the weight seemed too light against derbys and ibis, i havent got answer back yet. 380g might still not be strong enough.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    My responce from Brian at Nextie re layup options etc.

"Our 380g version would be used for AM. When we did technology tests, we use rims weight around 360g. They worked well. So 380g version with one more carbon layer would be stronger.
    If youíd like to use it for DH, we would add the rim with carbon fibers up to 440g. But cost is USD10 more for each one.

This design used to be used on other mtb rims. But we just make it hookless, also add a small embossment at the bead, which you may notice from the profile drawing. This design would keep the tire edge stably staying on the rim bead. We also have applied this design on our 90mm fat bike rim, the wild dragon rim. It works great.

As a fact, we just listed this product on our site days ago. We only got 6pcs of this rims order from three riders, two of which are our regular customers.
    But there were several customers have asked about it, but didnít place an order. I guess they might be afraid of the quality before we release the technology tests report, after all this product is newly emerged. While, I believe this product would be greatly performanced. It passed all tests, also itís a great design and light weight.

As itís new and only several rims order, no failures yet.

We could complete an order in 7 workdays."

Hope that helps!

Quote Originally Posted by brankulo View Post
    good point, i also inquired about heavy duty build as the weight seemed too light against derbys and ibis, i havent got answer back yet. 380g might still not be strong enough.

Clueless Bastard

You're welcome to post anywhere, however this IS the FATBIKE section....All FAT, ALL THE TIME.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is ancillary info re a carbon 29" rim SIMILAR but not the same as the
    40 mm 27.5'' rim mentioned above. I test rode a boreales
    Echo today in Anchorage. It was built up with 29er+
    35mm carbon mtn bike rims and 3" Knard's. Rims and tires performed well on muddy single track - which was An eye opening experience of sorts. Both because the rims were narrow and because the rims caused the Knards to ballon into a more round shape for trail riding. Unusual but seems like an effective way to ride with some decent float while not carry the big weight and profile penalty. Only negative was the tires kind of sucked the molten core of the earth along behind while riding pavement, but did demonstrate for me the utility of narrower rims and small fat for summer xcrosscountry riding. All in all, Iam going with
    80 mm carbon rims with tubeless Nates as my utility tire but only because I expect to do some significant off road riding where I want the extra floatations. Otherwise the 35 to 40mm rims would be very interesting.
    Last edited by AnimalBikeman; 06-13-2014 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Crapy typing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    does anyone know reason for price hike for fat rim? i was in between nextie and light bike fat rim, this surely made the decision bit easier, even though not much report on setting light bike rims tubeless. anyways, just wandering what is $40 hike for?

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by cavo View Post
    does anyone know reason for price hike for fat rim? i was in between nextie and light bike fat rim, this surely made the decision bit easier, even though not much report on setting light bike rims tubeless. anyways, just wandering what is $40 hike for?
    I have a set of Light Bikes and even though I have exactly zero miles on em they set up tubeless awesome and I have no worries about them on the trail. Now if I could only get the tires off

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Now if I could only get the tires off
    ok, now thats bummer. xmiplay rims should be up soon is what i hear. will see.

aka bOb
    ok, now thats bummer. xmiplay rims should be up soon is what i hear. will see.
    They supposedly fixed the design, mine where the original ones. I have an email into them we will see what they say

Edit: I am in no way saying the lb rims are better just stating my experiences.

Fat & Single
    They were $268 each... now $320, so $52 a rim hike.

Maybe because he has them down to 650g, they work well tubeless and mounting/removing tyres... possibly an introductory price till stuff was sorted.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Red Nextie Tubless

These are setup tubless, used Gorilla tape. Had to use a tube to get the tire seated first. Took out tube and setup after that was pretty easy. Used 4oz of Stans in each. Have held air for 2 days now.
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-wheels.jpg

Fat & Single
    Nice one ! Rims look awesome... BTW I had to use a tube for one of mine, if you can jag it... it works with both sides, i have inflated both on 3 occasions out of 4 but its better to be safe than sorry, inflate and pop one side, the other airs up easily.

BTW all done with a track pump ! Air compressor would be a different matter.

I am using a track pump only as I have a race coming up that is very minimalistic.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rczarnecki View Post
    These are setup tubless, used Gorilla tape. Had to use a tube to get the tire seated first. Took out tube and setup after that was pretty easy. Used 4oz of Stans in each. Have held air for 2 days now.
    Did you cover just the spoke holes in the center chanel or did you go full width?

I tried a couple types of tape I had in my basement but none would sit flat enough to eliminate wrinkles and completely adhere to the rim. It seems that narrow tape in the very center might be the only possible method with tape. (as has been successful for ozzybmx)

Previously I thought that this was doomed to fail because tubeless fluid could seep under the edge of the tape or eventually the edge could peel up. However, looking at the design of Stan's newest rim, the hugo, maybe that isn't a problem after all. Check out the cross section of the hugo, it is designed to use a narrow strip of tape that doesn't sit underneath the tire bead. In fact, that profile kind of matches the center grove of the nextie rims. Hope is renewed. I'll give it a shot this week and see how it works out.

Stan's Hugo
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-hugo.jpg

This rim design could become the norm and we might start to see narrow/partial-width tape become the standard. Time will tell though. I still feel better when the tire bead holds down the tape so that the air-tight seal doesn't rely on the tape sticking to the rim.

Fat & Single
    Weight and stiffness is the way forward here, with 29, 27.5 and 26... Stan has just released carbon wheels at $1900 a set... too little too late IMO.

I like the loom of the new rim profile but cant see a weight saving. The 52 Hugo rim you post is basically nothing short of Margelite weight, 520g-622g. You can go 90mm carbon for 650g and soon 65mm carbon for 450g'ish.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am scratching my head, I have the same set up as other, Husker Du tyres on the Dragon rims and they just wont seal. I have tried putting a tube in first to seal one side, I have tried the washing up liquid etc I have also tried front and back swapping the tyres but get the same result. The tyre pops on nicely but as soon as I get it up to 10psi the stand fluid starts to bubble out and I can not get the tyre and harder. As soon as I stop pumping the tyre holds the pressure (10psi). I have left the tyres inflated like this and they hold this pressure but as soon as I put any weight on the tyre (ie lean on it) the air bubbles out. I just cant get it to hold air above 10psi...any ideas.

I have just taped the central holes over with stans tape and this seems to be holding air tight (as the stans is not bubbling out her)
    Travers Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Weight and stiffness is the way forward here, with 29, 27.5 and 26... Stan has just released carbon wheels at $1900 a set... too little too late IMO.

I like the loom of the new rim profile but cant see a weight saving. The 52 Hugo rim you post is basically nothing short of Margelite weight, 520g-622g. You can go 90mm carbon for 650g and soon 65mm carbon for 450g'ish.
    Agreed, I think Stans rims are overpriced and heavy compared to the inexpensive carbon options.

The comparison I was aiming for was how the rims are taped. All tubeless setups I'd seen previously used full width tape. The hugo makes that impossible yet is intended for tubeless and is from a leading name in tubeless rims. That's what is giving me hope that nextie fat rims can be taped in a similar manner, with just a narrow strip in the center. The profile of that center channel is quite similar to the hugo center channel. If Stan thinks it'll work, that's a pretty weighty endorsement.

Not to ignore your success with narrow tape. But rather Stans is likely to have already extensively tested the setup for an extended period. We'll still name it after you since you got your solution to market first.

mtbr member
    when i asked them about the price hike, they apologized and gave me coupon for $80 off to offset $40 hike per rim. they said that the factory that makes the rim underestimated the cost and raised the price on them.

Fat & Single
    Traverbikes, if you have the original rims (before the amendment)

Get a tub of Mold Builder latex, it goes off like a ho in a brothel.

Paint it around the bead with no stans in the tyre, inflate and the tyre should seal, remove valve core and inject stans. In my case i am now confident it will seal and i put stans in there before hand.

When it seals, hose/wash the side walls down with some water.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    I sealed my "original Yellow" rims like this. My new fluro rims seal first time with Hudu's... no spokes yet, should be here in a day or two.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    thanks ozzybmx, I have ordered some mold builders latex. I dont like doing stuff like this as you are stuck if it all goes wrong out on the trail but I have tried everything else so...
    Travers Bikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Theres an additive you can add to Stans sealant that creates a foam. Its a canadian company that LB makes rims for initially. I canŤt seem to find the site quickly.

It basically stops the sealant from spewing out of the "leaks" like stans does which eventually seals the hole. But it rather clogs it from the start. Allegedly losing a lot less air in the process. To be clear I have not tried this stuff.. and the site is pretty crude.. but maybe woth a try before you go through the nightmare of latex being as described above.

Edit:
    Found link.
    Welcome to lbs. bikes

Quote Originally Posted by TraversBikes View Post
    thanks ozzybmx, I have ordered some mold builders latex. I dont like doing stuff like this as you are stuck if it all goes wrong out on the trail but I have tried everything else so...

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The mold latex worked perfectly and the tyre sealed straight away on both front and back rims. It was a little messy to put on but a quick wipe with a cloth after they were pumped up sorted it out.

I will look into the additive, thanks icdesign
    Travers Bikes.com

Fat & Single
    but maybe woth a try before you go through the nightmare of latex being as described above.
    Nightmare !! We look forward to more of your great experiences here in the future icdesign.

Good to hear TraversBikes, you dont need that much of it, just a slight covering around the rim bead area. Pretty simple solution to seal a stubborn tyre... also if you ever need to remove the tyre again, it should seal up first time without any additional latex.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Clueless Bastard
    I'm thinking my timetable on Nextie's (and a Bluto Fork) just moved up.

Rim Toast?

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    I'm thinking my timetable on Nextie's (and a Bluto Fork) just moved up.

Rim Toast?
    Looks like.
    Handbuilt wheels: www.LaceMine29.com

PRETENDURO
    I love the look of those things in colours with Buds and Lous mounted to them. They look like gigantic all-terrain donuts. Got to get me some of that action once my Echo gets built up.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    just received some custom Nexties for a customers build.

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-muru-nextie-2.jpg

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-muru-nextie-1.jpg

good lordy... they're light. Finish quality is nice too.

Mr Muru

Fat & Single
    Very nice !!!

Like'n the stencilled lizard.
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Traverbikes, if you have the original rims (before the amendment)

Get a tub of Mold Builder latex, it goes off like a ho in a brothel.

Paint it around the bead with no stans in the tyre, inflate and the tyre should seal, remove valve core and inject stans. In my case i am now confident it will seal and i put stans in there before hand.

When it seals, hose/wash the side walls down with some water.
    Hi ozzy
    Where did you get the mold latex builder here in oz?
    Cheers
    Ip

Fat & Single
    Hey IP, i bought it in a local shop here in Adelaide, they have a website Brush Latex - 500ml [BLATEX-500] - $15.45 : Adelaide Moulding & Casting Supplies

You should be able to get it locally, but if not... these guys will ship it.

Its good for other wheels too AND if you "water" it down with windscreen washer fluid you can use it as tubeless sealant instead of stans but it doesn't last long before needing replaced, the plus side is that it seals better than stans but the tyre needs cleaning out as this stuff goes off fast !
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks ozzy
    I'll chase it up
    Is it water based? And will 500ml be enough if you end up using it on a few rims

Do You only paint it on the bead of the tyre only, or the rim as well?
    Cheers
    Ip

Fat & Single
    Just give the RIM bead a slap, after you have sealed them up... you wouldn't even notice the amount gone from the jar, there's enough for probably a 1000 wheels in 500g.

Its a token gesture, no weight incurred !!!
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    FM190 Fatty
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Just give the RIM bead a slap, after you have sealed them up... you wouldn't even notice the amount gone from the jar, there's enough for probably a 1000 wheels in 500g.

Its a token gesture, no weight incurred !!!
    Cool
    Thanks I'm hopeing I won't need it but I'll get some just in case
    You can never have TOO much stuff in the shed "just in case you need it sometime"
    Lol
    Cheers
    Ip

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I built a front wheel up last night. 244mm spokes were perfect for a fatsno 150mm hub with these nextie rims. I always try a few calculators and some said these spokes would be a bit short. They weren't.

mtbr member
    i got my rims yesterday, boy are they looking great. went with UD matte. when i was picking up the delivery, i thought i am picking empty box.
    i also chatted with brian from nextie and they have couple things coming up. 65mm 26" rims in 2 or so weeks. next 50mm 29" hookless rims and right after that 40 or 45mm hookless 26" rims. i might be getting pair of 29" rims for summer conversion of my not yet existing fatty

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast