Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Nuts
    Keep up the good work Ozzy!!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE=ozzybmx;11116972]Tape time.... 1 wrap of approx 6-7mm of gorilla tape in the bead recess, then 1 wrap of 8898 on each side and 1 down the middle.

Got it to about 15psi DRY but there's air escaping inside the rim, the tape in the photos looks neat but i now have forearms like popeye and the tape wont stretch enough to conform to the rims concave shape, so there is some wrinkles down in the middle. Im thinking there is a wrinkle i cant see that the air is getting out through.

So, tube fitted back up and sitting at 30psi, will let it compress the tape for a day or two till i get some more time.

Its wasnt an easy job to break the bead now even with some soapy water present.

Regardless if this works, the hassle of having to tape right up both sides and use combo of gorilla tape and 8898 is not what these wheels were meant to be about. One strip down the middle should have done the job.

More in a day or two if i find some time to mess around.

As an aside, where did you buy the tape from?

I can see a few places in the US that sell it by the box, but can't find anything reasonable in Australia....

Fat & Single
    Element14 here in oz.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Rides Uphill Slow
    Any one build up these in 26" version? Looking at these for my next wheelset. Or has anyone ridden the 29er or 27.5 versions? How did they hold up?
    I'm here for the downhill

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler View Post
    Any one build up these in 26" version? Looking at these for my next wheelset. Or has anyone ridden the 29er or 27.5 versions? How did they hold up?
    They are very VERY new, those who have tested them are among the few to even see them yet. Until the corrections are made to the mold production appears to be on hold. Best check in 29er section if they have a narrow version done yet. Nothing on their Facebook yet about the public getting them. You can follow Nextie on Facebook to get fastest updates.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hookler View Post
    I have mine built up... Tubeless was a horrible fail, but otherwise the rim came as expected... mine were 690g and 680g... ridden a few miles on them... super stiff and damn light compared to my other wheelset.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    I have mine built up... Tubeless was a horrible fail, but otherwise the rim came as expected... mine were 690g and 680g... ridden a few miles on them... super stiff and damn light compared to my other wheelset.
    Are we talking the fat rims now? If so I didn't realize you got a set of Nextie.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Are we talking the fat rims now? If so I didn't realize you got a set of Nextie.
    Yes, we're talking fat rims... I ordered a set of Nextie and a set of LB as well...

there are pics of mine on the previous page or the one before that

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Yes, we're talking fat rims... I ordered a set of Nextie and a set of LB as well...

there are pics of mine on the previous page or the one before that
    Sorry I spaced that one out!!
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    Ohhhh... the price to pay for a paint job. Mine were 700g and 705g.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Re: Nextie-Bike carbon rims

have we got any more pics of rims build up on bike please .....love.pics

Press thx if i help you

Fat & Single
    Ok, successful attempt. Taped as above, added 4 scoops of stans as i was expecting major spillage around the bead, tyre popped on and a quick shake, zero stans lost. A very slight weep where the bead sealed and the rim has held air for 2 hours now.

The weight of this rim/tyre/stans/tape is 2120g so thats the base weight before spokes and hubs. Not sure if that's good or not as i have never weighed a wheel in this state before.

So the updated BSD of 559mm should seal up beautifully. BTW these HuDu's bled stan's from the bead like a stuck pig when i tried tubeless before on a set of margelites.

Promising, but still had to do a taping job to achieve this. At already 700g when there is others carbon rims near 600g the taping job is weight in the wrong direction.

For the record, i did not wipe this wheel at all after airing up, the stan's fluid pictured is all the leakage i got on them.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    looks good... so roughly 150-200g for the tape and Stan's... not bad

Fat & Single
    Yep, the HuDu's are 1260g/1270g (not sure what one is fitted) and the rims are approx 700g so 1970g total for components. So the tape and stan's is 150g... and there is a **** load of stans in there as i was expecting waste, i emptied the bead dregs of an old bottle in there before the 4 scoops so i would say easily 100g+. The 8898 tape weighs about 10g per wrap and the tubeless valve 10-15g. The gorilla tape is only 6-7mm wide so its negligible.

Will still be a bit of a saving when i get the increased BSD rims.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Awesome... I'll have to give that 8898 tape a try... I already had mind built up so I opted out of the replacement set and will fiddle with it more or just run tubes. I also have a set of the light-bicycle rims on the way too..

Fat & Single
    I have not tried it with 8898 alone yet, but might give it a go. On this wheel i ran 1 wrap of 6-7mm gorilla inside the bead recess to "fatten" it out after the issue MikeC had, will try it without on the next wheel but keep that in mind.

I hate the mess gorilla makes.

I will let Nextie know i have got one of their wheels set up tubeless but i am still going for the replacements.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It will be interesting to see how other tires work out. And by other tires, that includes other tires of the exact same kind, husker du.

There is fairly high manufacturing variability in tires so it is typical for some tires to be too tight or too loose. This matters much more than it used to now that many people are doing clincher tubeless. For example, I had to return an ardent 2.4" tire because it was too loose and leaked sealant. The other 4 ardent 2.4" tires that i've owned have been just fine.

Fat & Single
    My original set of Buds on marglites went tubeless like a dream, replace the rear bud and it leaked like sh1t, ended up using mold latex to seal the bead.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I've used a single cup of Stan's in Vee-8's on 80mm rims. Sealed up nicely and there was enough leftover Stan's to audibly slosh around in there after extended riding as well.
    At least with those Vee tires, most of the Stan's was used to seal the bead/rim interface, and that is standard 26'' size.
    Two cups should be plenty enough per tire.

Got some carbon 80mm rims here now. Factory had installed a standard 80mm rimtape, and the Snowshoes mounted were near impossible to get off. Will run two loops of yellow tape to seal the two rows of spokes holes, and they should be ready to go.
    Of course, 80mm looks ridiculously skinny vs. our standard 103's, but they will be OK for the Vee Speedsters until I get something wider.
    The brilliant minds at the factory had built the test wheels with plain gauge 14ga spokes, though, so need to strip those down and replace with proper 4.3g 14/17ga or 3.5g bladed Pillar spokes.
    R&D Manager
    Diamant & Nakamura bikes
    Our fatbike videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/NDprototyping?feature=mhee

mtbr member
    I realize it adds more weight than tape. But, anyone try split tube tubless with these?

addicted to chunk
    Those look great, but I think something is missing....just not sure exactly what.........

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Ok, successful attempt. Taped as above, added 4 scoops of stans as i was expecting major spillage around the bead, tyre popped on and a quick shake, zero stans lost. A very slight weep where the bead sealed and the rim has held air for 2 hours now.

The weight of this rim/tyre/stans/tape is 2120g so thats the base weight before spokes and hubs. Not sure if that's good or not as i have never weighed a wheel in this state before.

So the updated BSD of 559mm should seal up beautifully. BTW these HuDu's bled stan's from the bead like a stuck pig when i tried tubeless before on a set of margelites.

Promising, but still had to do a taping job to achieve this. At already 700g when there is others carbon rims near 600g the taping job is weight in the wrong direction.

For the record, i did not wipe this wheel at all after airing up, the stan's fluid pictured is all the leakage i got on them.

Riding.....

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Pretty disappointed in mine...tubeless seal doesn't seem to be holding for **** despite trying all the normal tricks. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Sarma, you're back in. Nextie, it's back to kindergarden for you!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Spleen View Post
    Pretty disappointed in mine...tubeless seal doesn't seem to be holding for **** despite trying all the normal tricks. Oh well, you win some and you lose some. Sarma, you're back in. Nextie, it's back to kindergarden for you!
    Did you receive one of the redesigned rims or one from the original shipment?

My fingers are crossed that these start shipping soon.

Clueless Bastard

Cool-blue Rhythm

Respect to the fat bike soldiers willing to fight the affordable carbon rim battle for the rest of us. I was hopeful these rims would work, and they still might but now we're pushing against the variability of fat bike tire manufacturing.

I'm still hopeful that the solution includes my 45NRTH Husker Du tires on the BG.

Oh and that Hope does an 150mm update to the Fatsno front hub, so I can get a RS Bluto for next winter.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    Did you receive one of the redesigned rims or one from the original shipment?

My fingers are crossed that these start shipping soon.
    Not sure which run they're from, but I think the problem may have been solved. Added more sealant, hit about 60psi, heard the sound of chundering carbon, and now they're holding overnight.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast