Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Dr Gadget is IN
    Ya know, not all schrader are created equal:

949 Racing black anodized aluminum valve

Self sealing, check - spring loaded in fact, and no fiddly rod to bend

Removable center core, check - and significantly larger for adding chunkulated sealant w/o breaking a bead

Threaded body with nut to clamp down on rim, check.

Bigger body diameter and hole in rim? Yes.

Lighter than a standard presta stem? Yes.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    mainly due to the fact ive got a good tyre pressure guage that works on them

Chairman of the Beard
    Well ****, that 949 looks nice.

I say go fer it.
    The correct number of bikes one should own is N+1, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Rocking on a Rocky

joe's tubeless system. Anyone try this?

It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post

Removable center core, check - and significantly larger for adding chunkulated sealant w/o breaking a bead

Long enough?.....check?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I use the american classic valves,good seal and light :-)

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by wadester View Post

Those are nice!
    Added bonus...
    "Laser etched 949 logo reputed to be worth 3hp, no really." That's a lot on a bike!

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by hirschmj View Post
    * self sealing - no cap to lose (the cap they come with is just to prevent punctures during shipping
    * smaller hole - stronger rim
    * removable center core for faster air flow for seating tubeless tires
    * can inject sealant through the valve without breaking the bead if you remove the core
    * threaded body means you can tighten the valve core against the rim - I don't know how you'd even do this with Schrader
    * lighter?
    How is "self sealing" a quality? They will need to be tightened or you will loose air. Schrader valves "self seal"/shut without any needed action.

"Smaller hole equals stronger rim"? Do you realize that the difference is very small?

"Removeable center core ..."? All schrader valve cores can be removed which cannot be said about presta valves.

"Threaded body"? Schrader and presta valves both come either way. A threaded schrader valve is much sturdier than the presta valves.

"Lighter"? As others will point out, the alloy 949 racing valve is lighter than nearly any presta valve.

Bottom line:

With a schrader valve, the stem is much sturdier. I've seen way too many presta valves broken during winter riding and races. The schrader valve tightens down on the rim better and has more surface area which helps when using a hand pump at really cold temps.

The core can be removed and the larger hole allows for better air flow when inflating ghetto tubeless setups and is easier to install sealant with.

When using the 949 stems, they as light or lighter than most presta valves.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I just hooked up ghetto tubeless on my rear rim (as a test) in just a few minutes. This after literally a couple days of trying to get foam methods to work last winter. F-that, ghetto FTW (and for the ease).
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Installed, they look good, work well, and are very light.

Laramie, Wyoming
    If light isn't your thing, motorcycle tubeless valves work very well and are tough.

Laramie, Wyoming
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I just hooked up ghetto tubeless on my rear rim (as a test) in just a few minutes. This after literally a couple days of trying to get foam methods to work last winter. F-that, ghetto FTW (and for the ease).
    Everyone seems to have different experiences. I have set up a lot of different wheels tubeless with foam and Gorilla tape and they have worked well. For me, the only test that means anything is riding at less than 2 psi at well below zero.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    What spoke length is best for the 65mm (3mm offset) rims and Hope Fatsno hubs - 135mm F, 170mm R?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Those 949's look too short for the Nextie 90mm rims, no?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by aizu1 View Post
    What spoke length is best for the 65mm (3mm offset) rims and Hope Fatsno hubs - 135mm F, 170mm R?
    Email Nextie on that.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    Email Nextie on that.
    Did that. Waiting for a reply. Also I did the calculation on Freespoke and DT Swiss sites. Got between 248.6 and 250.7mm. I'm hoping to get some hands-on experience before ordering spokes.

PRETENDURO
    Quote Originally Posted by alphazz View Post
    If light isn't your thing, motorcycle tubeless valves work very well and are tough.
    How much of a b¡tch was it getting your Turnagain FR80s set up tubeless with Bud and Lou? I take it you had to go with the closed-cell foam and tape buildup in the middle of the rim?
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Can we please keep this thread on topic, ie. Nextie rims? Those 949 valves look cool and all, but they don't look like they will work on the Nextie rims, not long enough. I didn't check to see if they offer longer ones though. I'm using WTB aluminum presta valves as recommended by MC. Super light, seal really well, removable core, and they're red! Oh, and I don't have to drill out my rims.

Rocking on a Rocky
    Did that. Waiting for a reply. Also I did the calculation on Freespoke and DT Swiss sites. Got between 248.6 and 250.7mm. I'm hoping to get some hands-on experience before ordering spokes.
    This is with a 135 15 mm thu axle front HopeHope hub , if you lace the wheels 3 cross, for front wheel, you could use 32pcs 248mm spokes. That was from Nextie. My back is 190 mm. For rear wheel, you could use 16pcs 250mm and 16pcs 251mm spokes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What length WTB valves are you using on your jungle fox/29+ wheelset?

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    Can we please keep this thread on topic, ie. Nextie rims? Those 949 valves look cool and all, but they don't look like they will work on the Nextie rims, not long enough. I didn't check to see if they offer longer ones though. I'm using WTB aluminum presta valves as recommended by MC. Super light, seal really well, removable core, and they're red! Oh, and I don't have to drill out my rims.
    Ok, so on topic - please tell me how long a stem must be used on a Nextie? Distance from inner to outer surface? Or how much stem exposed vs a new one. Thanks. I'm looking for a spare 949 to measure for comparison.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    What length WTB valves are you using on your jungle fox/29+ wheelset?
    I have no idea! Mike delivered mine with the valves installed. After looking them up, it looks like they come in 2 lengths, 34mm and 46mm. I am pretty sure they are the 46mm ones as there is a good amount of valve exposed. Sorry, but I am not pulling my wheels apart to measure!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Brian says this on FB.

"Nextie Bike We used to test with Stan's Notubes tubeless valve stem, length 35mm. The thickness of two walls is 20mm. I guess a valve stem over 30mm length will work. - Brian Hsia"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpgStan's valves are what I used and they work great. Also used 25mm Stan's tape to seal the spoke holes.

nothing to see here
    For those waiting for a reply from Nextie for whatever reason, there is a national holiday in China from 1-5 October. This was from their FB page.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

beer thief
    On topic - 90s are fat. Very impressed with the quality and light weight of the rim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-borealis-nextie-rear2-medium-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nlongfx View Post
    Stan's valves are what I used and they work great. Also used 25mm Stan's tape to seal the spoke holes.
    Same setup here. So far so good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Has anyone built the 65mm up with offset for a Pugsley or Lefty? I'd like to do a Lefty build. thx!

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebo View Post
    Has anyone built the 65mm up with offset for a Pugsley or Lefty? I'd like to do a Lefty build. thx!
    I think Shark had one built for a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone know why you would use a Jungle fox over a snow fox? Looks like the snow fox double wall is shallower than the Jungle fox. Guess you could use a shorter stem, same weight though and inner dimension.

Maybe if you just want a different look?

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by jleebo View Post
    Yes, it's great so far, few weeks riding on it.
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_2014100710798.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_201410070921.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Looks good, are they 65mm inside or outside? Did you weigh them? Looks like 36º is that just an illusion?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yes, it's great so far, few weeks riding on it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2014100710798.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	929690Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_201410070921.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	929691
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Looks good, are they 65mm inside or outside? Did you weigh them? Looks like 36º is that just an illusion?
    I honestly did not measure or weight them. I believe other guys have put the rim on a scale and most were right around 500 - 520 I think. Paired with a P321 lefty hub & *light* hudu's I'm happy with the weight.

36º?
    I haven't had my coffee yet....dunno what you are asking here lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Shark.
    Thanks for the info. Just curiosity on my part. I was referring to spoke count. In the lefty picture the spokes looked close together but I counted them and it was only 32º

Cheers!
    I honestly did not measure or weight them. I believe other guys have put the rim on a scale and most were right around 500 - 520 I think. Paired with a P321 lefty hub & *light* hudu's I'm happy with the weight.

36º?
    I haven't had my coffee yet....dunno what you are asking here lol.
    Lucky neighbor of Maryland's Patapsco Valley State Park, 39.23,-76.76 Flickr

bigger than you.
    Shark, how did you manage the offset? is it just dished? have you had any issues keeping them true?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    hi all, been recommended to go for nextie rims ...do look good! ....anyone know what size the 65mm version can take? ...site says upto 25 psi and 3" plus so does then mean a 4.8" tyre is viable?? (sorry if this has been asked, have skimmed the thread but didnt see anything?)

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    would have thought so
    you can put a 4.8 on a 65 mm marge lite

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Raced my jungle foxes this weekend in a 12hr cross country type race. Im pretty happy with them they do seem to flex a little more then I though they would. I did build them to around 120kgh so I may increase tension a little. I am comparing this to a 650b derby wheelset built on i9 enduro hubs with straight pull spokes tensioned to 120kgh as well. I am also happy that my novatec factor hubs didnt explode or have any issues either. The foxs stayed true and didnt give me any issues. They have been flawless with the tubless setup as well. Overall great experience so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's been a few weeks since I went tubeless on the 26x90 nexties. So far so good. Stans valves and one layer of 25mm stans yellow tape did the trick. Seriously, nothing else was required!

I'm not convinced that it doesn't lose a tiny bit of pressure over long periods of time. But it is good enough that I can't tell for sure.

If it fails at some point in the future, i'll make sure to report back with an update.

nothing to see here
    Quote Originally Posted by shoo View Post
    Thanks Shark.
    Thanks for the info. Just curiosity on my part. I was referring to spoke count. In the lefty picture the spokes looked close together but I counted them and it was only 32º

Cheers!
    Just some minor semantics here...

º is spoken as degrees, and serves no purpose in determining spoke count unless you are measuring the arc between the spokes.

32 spoke wheels are at a spacing of 11.25º, 36 spoke wheels are at a spacing of 10º.

Just saving future confusion.
    I see hills.

I want to climb them.

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by andy586 View Post
    hi all, been recommended to go for nextie rims ...do look good! ....anyone know what size the 65mm version can take? ...site says upto 25 psi and 3" plus so does then mean a 4.8" tyre is viable?? (sorry if this has been asked, have skimmed the thread but didnt see anything?)

cheers
    A mate here is running Buds on 65mm Nexties, same as cozz said... no difference to what you run on Marge Lites.

They make for a nice trail setup as the 65mm rim creeps the tread up around the sidewall further, rounding the tyre, but once you go 90mm its a point of no return, I can't bring myself to go back to 65mm... just doesnt feel fat anymore
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    Shark, how did you manage the offset? is it just dished? have you had any issues keeping them true?
    Yeah, mikesee just dished it I believe. It was a bit close for comfort when I first mounted the tire, so I adjusted 1/2 turn on the nipples to get it slightly farther from the fork leg. I've beat on it pretty good (super chunky stuff today!) And it's held up great.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
    It's been a few weeks since I went tubeless on the 26x90 nexties. So far so good. Stans valves and one layer of 25mm stans yellow tape did the trick. Seriously, nothing else was required!...
    Stoked to read this. How much sealant did you use? I know you wrote nothing else other than tape & valves was required but you must have used some sealant? Type and amount?

Thanks

bigger than you.
    Yeah, mikesee just dished it I believe. It was a bit close for comfort when I first mounted the tire, so I adjusted 1/2 turn on the nipples to get it slightly farther from the fork leg. I've beat on it pretty good (super chunky stuff today!) And it's held up great.
    sweet! i'm stoked to see that they're an option for offset builds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Stoked to read this. How much sealant did you use? I know you wrote nothing else other than tape & valves was required but you must have used some sealant? Type and amount?

Thanks
    Oh yeah, and sealant.

I think it was around 4oz per wheel, stans. And then I added 2 more oz recently for insurance. Bud and lou fit so tightly onto the 90mm rims that they sealed almost instantly. Burping or accidentally unseating the tire is an impossibility so really the sealant is just for punctures.

All fat, all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gigantic View Post
    sweet! i'm stoked to see that they're an option for offset builds.
    I only have a hudu on it and there's no room for a larger tire, FYI. I'm not a wheel builder so I don't know how much you can safely dish a wheel...

J_K
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Spoke lengths for Nextie 90mm rims with Industry 9 Torch 135mm and 190mm hubs?

Freespoke gives following lengths by using the supplied ERD and 3mm spoke bed offset.
    Front: 243.9 248.5
    Rear: 248.8 245.1

Sup
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-wheels-ken-3.jpg
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-wheels-ken-.jpg

built a set for a friend
    I was really impressed with the quality
    1850 grams of awsome
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by icdesign View Post
    For those of you on the 40mm wagon. I built mine up and found the ERD to be closer to 544 than 547 as specified by Brian. I had just enough to work with with my spokes but was close!!

Profile of rim seems to be a bit different than the sample image provided by Brian as well. but looks descent to me!
    Thanks for the info. It looks like the hookless 40 mm 650b page shows an ERD of 545.6mm. So maybe they updated it. Also, did you use standard 12 mm nipples? Nextie lists 14 and 16 mm as the spoke length...

My pair just shipped today, pretty excited to get them built!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Reading your posts with interest as I have a pair on their way to me. Are you running knards? How much flex? I am surprised at the weigh of these. Given that Derby rims are not much lighter, I was wondering how stout the Nextie rims are. I'm just getting a bit tired of the weight of rabbit holes set up tubeless.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2ks4 View Post
    Raced my jungle foxes this weekend in a 12hr cross country type race. Im pretty happy with them they do seem to flex a little more then I though they would. I did build them to around 120kgh so I may increase tension a little. I am comparing this to a 650b derby wheelset built on i9 enduro hubs with straight pull spokes tensioned to 120kgh as well. I am also happy that my novatec factor hubs didnt explode or have any issues either. The foxs stayed true and didnt give me any issues. They have been flawless with the tubless setup as well. Overall great experience so far.

runs with scissors
    It’s been a while since I shared anything…
    I just got and built up my Nextie 90s and have to say I very impressed with quality!
    I was not wild about ordering internationally but the whole process went very well and crew at Nextie really went out of their way keep me informed during the process.
    The ride quality compared to my RDs, well no comparison. The wheels feel more like a normal mountain bike. I think my complete front wheel weighed 1049grams, compared to an old Chopper USA 100mm rim alone that suffered from heavy drillium weighted 1012grams.
    Setting up the rims tubeless was a non-issue with the valve core out and a hand pump my nine year old daughter did one for me. The tire beads lock into the rim very tight, I can’t imagine the tire slipping on the rim. As note previous in the thread unseating the tire is best done placing the wheel flat on the floor the stepping the side wall.Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_4137.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_4139.jpg
    61° North

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chunkylover53 View Post
    Reading your posts with interest as I have a pair on their way to me. Are you running knards? How much flex? I am surprised at the weigh of these. Given that Derby rims are not much lighter, I was wondering how stout the Nextie rims are. I'm just getting a bit tired of the weight of rabbit holes set up tubeless.
    I have retensioned the wheels since the race and the flex is pretty much gone now. I had them tensioned to 120kgf initially and i could see the front wheel flex during out of the saddle climbing and would get some tire buzz on the sides of my fox fork. Now at around 140kgf (150 is max per nextie) the wheels are much stiffer. I am running 120tpi knards.

My derbys are 650b. Comparing them to nexties the derbys are more refined. The finish on the them inside and out is higher quality. I like that the derbys hookless rim wall is a full 3mm thick and the bead locking lump is more pronounced then the nextie but derby doesn't make 50mm 29er rim yet. So far the nexties have been plenty stout though. I am starting to treat them like stepchildren so time will tell.

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by dosbugs View Post
    It’s been a while since I shared anything…
    I just got and built up my Nextie 90s and have to say I very impressed with quality!
    I was not wild about ordering internationally but the whole process went very well and crew at Nextie really went out of their way keep me informed during the process.
    The ride quality compared to my RDs, well no comparison. The wheels feel more like a normal mountain bike. I think my complete front wheel weighed 1049grams, compared to an old Chopper USA 100mm rim alone that suffered from heavy drillium weighted 1012grams.
    Setting up the rims tubeless was a non-issue with the valve core out and a hand pump my nine year old daughter did one for me. The tire beads lock into the rim very tight, I can’t imagine the tire slipping on the rim. As note previous in the thread unseating the tire is best done placing the wheel flat on the floor the stepping the side wall.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4137.jpg 
Views:	730 
Size:	141.7 KB 
ID:	930972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4139.jpg 
Views:	4976 
Size:	225.9 KB 
ID:	930973
    Wow I love the gloss with silver lettering!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cool, thanks. I'll try a similar tension when building them up. The Derbys are well made and tough (I run the 29 version), so I did wonder about the Nexties being so close in weight but 15mm wider.

Quote Originally Posted by silver2ks4 View Post
    I have retensioned the wheels since the race and the flex is pretty much gone now. I had them tensioned to 120kgf initially and i could see the front wheel flex during out of the saddle climbing and would get some tire buzz on the sides of my fox fork. Now at around 140kgf (150 is max per nextie) the wheels are much stiffer. I am running 120tpi knards.

My derbys are 650b. Comparing them to nexties the derbys are more refined. The finish on the them inside and out is higher quality. I like that the derbys hookless rim wall is a full 3mm thick and the bead locking lump is more pronounced then the nextie but derby doesn't make 50mm 29er rim yet. So far the nexties have been plenty stout though. I am starting to treat them like stepchildren so time will tell.

mtbr member
    that tension seems incredibly high….ive built some enve rims and some derby rims and cant imagine putting that much tension in….interesting!….

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    that tension seems incredibly high….ive built some enve rims and some derby rims and cant imagine putting that much tension in….interesting!….
    I agree. my derbys are built to 110.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    hey all...I ordered some 90mm Nextie rims...is there a consensus on valve stem and rim tape for tubeless set up?

Fat & Single
    Whatever valves fit, I'm running 35mm WTB brass, the void is 20mm so I have a stumpy 15mm poking out... it still works but the 46mm versions would be better.

YMMV but I would stay clear of alu valve stems, I have personally broken 2 while pumping a tyre up, this results in catastrophic failure of your tubeless setup. Tube in to ride home.
    The bike forums are rife with threads on broken alu tubeless valves, stick to brass for reliability IMO.

Tape, any tape seems to be the go, from 25mm filament tape that I use to regular stans yellow/blue tape.

These rims are a no hassle tubeless conversion... just received set #3 for a little project in the works
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Whatever valves fit, I'm running 35mm WTB brass, the void is 20mm so I have a stumpy 15mm poking out... it still works but the 46mm versions would be better.

YMMV but I would stay clear of alu valve stems, I have personally broken 2 while pumping a tyre up, this results in catastrophic failure of your tubeless setup. Tube in to ride home.
    The bike forums are rife with threads on broken alu tubeless valves, stick to brass for reliability IMO.

Tape, any tape seems to be the go, from 25mm filament tape that I use to regular stans yellow/blue tape.

These rims are a no hassle tubeless conversion... just received set #3 for a little project in the works
    Thanks for the quick response.

Fat & Single
    Can someone who has built a 190mm fatsno on 90mm Nextie cast their eye over my spoke calcs ?

I have built 2 sets of 135/170 with 244mm all round but the 190mm rear is needing different spokes.

Anyone use different sized spokes to the calculated value below ?

Thanks !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-hope-135-190.jpg  

Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    i am not into the wheel building much, but does that calc account for spoke hole offset on the rims?

Fat & Single
    No, but its only 3mm sideways.

I've built 2 sets already using 244's (and this calculator), just need someone to eyeball the measurements on the 190mm hub and spokes to see if they are correct.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    i'd like to order spokes ahead of time too, anyone build with 90mm and Sarma 150/197 hubs?

beer thief
    No, but its only 3mm sideways.

I've built 2 sets already using 244's (and this calculator), just need someone to eyeball the measurements on the 190mm hub and spokes to see if they are correct.
    I think you've got it, Ozzy. My hubs were Borealis but the flange diameter and width of flange to center are pretty close to yours. I used 245 for front spokes and 249/245mm for rear and they seemed to be fine. I've used Damon Rinard's calculator for many years without fail (it is basic geometry, after all) and verified with a couple on-line sources.

All fat, all the time.
    Those gloss rims above look great! I think I made a mistake getting the matte finish....doh!

Fat & Single
    Those gloss rims above look great! I think I made a mistake getting the matte finish....doh!
    I certainly did with the greenies, my matte yellow wheels are 100% still but the green paint was not UV stabilized, seems the strong Aussie sun killed the bling... and were only half way through Spring, they would have been pure white by summer.

Being looked after by Nextie but I could have done without the hassle as Im a bit time deficient at the moment. Actually liked those green wheels too

Apparently a gloss coat would have saved the paint... though the speed of the UV damage over 4 months considering we were in winter and the bike is only outside when being used, I reckon it maybe had less than 100hrs in the sun.

Rims have gone pastel green with patches of white, they could be rubbed down and repainted a different colour, maybe gloss coated over raw carbon.

Not so good, tired and faded after 4 months.

Former "in yer face" green...
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That's sad to see. But neon colors usually has a disadvantage. My job sells helmets with neon colors, and they fade in the sun as well. Problem is supposed to be chemicals that are not allowed to use/banned, is what would have kept the color nice.

Fat & Single
    I don't know if they have that legislation in China... If they had any idea this would happen, they wouldn't have painted them matte.

I see a few others with the same green only it has a clear coat over it, hopefully they do alright in the sun.

I seen they were fading slightly and didn't mind but 10 days in the Desert and they are now on the brink of turning white.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    ...but 10 days in the Desert and they are now on the brink of turning white.
    Look on it as a badge of honour.
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 57º36' Highlands, Scotland

Fat & Single
    Double post.
    Last edited by ozzybmx; 10-17-2014 at 03:45 AM. Reason: double post.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

Fat & Single
    I'll put a sticker on them explaining the "Desert heat killed my blingness", turned them from a Fully Sik Fluro to Laura Ashley Pastel Green
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-laura-ashley-spring-summer-2014.jpg  

Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    [URL="http://s77.photobucket.com/user/ozzybmx/media/Bike%203/DSC04268_zps97ba5dc7.jpg.html"][/

Reminds me of an old Fender Stratocaster
    I can hear the the surf music now
    You'll be the grooviest guy on the beach, quick, spray some clear on your hard earned wheels!!!
    It's all about the firecuts

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    You'll be the grooviest guy on the beach, quick, spray some clear on your hard earned wheels!!!
    Retired immediately Andy74... got another set here to run. Got a new set to build for the PFP (Plastic Fatty Project), these ones will be unlaced, stripped and resprayed. Dont have the time at the moment but will happen soon(ish)
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

first step

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_8178.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_8179.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_8180.jpg

just waiting on the rims..

aka bOb
    You missed one angle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_8180.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    You missed one angle
    Black and gray, to match the RM blizzard, paired with the Sarma hubs above.

All fat, all the time.
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_2014110424319.jpg
    Rear wheel is built!.... Just need a frame that fits now....

Elitest thrill junkie
    Now that I think about it, I should have gotten these instead of the LB fat rims and made them paint in big blue letters (on black) "PFD" 3x on each side.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    anyone built on the 65mm rims with hope fat hubs, and know their spoke lengths.... or time to get the calculator out ? tried contacting nextie, with no response ....

mtbr member
    Shhhhh!!! We don't want to tell the lower 48'ers about our personal flotation devices we have up here!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    anyone built on the 65mm rims with hope fat hubs, and know their spoke lengths.... or time to get the calculator out ? tried contacting nextie, with no response ....
    The ERD (effective rim diameter) off their website is 515. Spoke offset is either 0 or 3 depending on the rim you order. Those numbers and the numbers from Hope plugged into Freespoke and you should be good to go.
    Latitude 61

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I got a reply back from Nextie. This what they said -

Front wheel: 16pcs 248.1mm left side, 16pcs 248.9mm right side

Rear wheel: 16pcs 249.9mm left size, 16pcs 248.6mm right side.

We suggest you use 14mm length nipples for this length.

If you use 16mm length nipples, the spokes lengths are suggested 1mm shorter, it’s better if you could ask your wheel builder.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thanks guys

mtbr member
    My latest build with Nextie 65MM rims with GC 4.6 tires. Custom Quiring frame. Mikesee built the rims for me:

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Balogh View Post
    My latest build with Nextie 65MM rims with GC 4.6 tires. Custom Quiring frame. Mikesee built the rims for me:
    Looks great Steve! I put in an order yesterday for the 65mm Black Eagle rims with center drilling. Did you guys/gals that got the 65mm rims go with the center or offset? Wondering if I should have done the offset or not.

Now I need to buy spokes. I've never built up carbon rims before (but I have >50 aluminum rim wheelbuilds under my belt), so I have a few questions:
    1. Do I need nipples longer than the standard 12mm ones?
    2. Do I need some sort of washer to go underneath the nipple?
    3. Are there any other considerations when building up carbon rims compared to aluminum ones?

I used Freespoke to calculate the following spoke lengths, and wondered if someone can let me know if they are way off or sound right

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-blackeaglerim.jpg

Final question (for now): how long did it take to get it from the day you ordered the rims?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Drevil, You input spoke hole diameter of 4 on the hub input section. I think that is the rim hole dia. Hub would be more like 2.5?
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Think offset is better.i have center on mine,not so good angle on some of the spokes.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post
    Looks great Steve! I put in an order yesterday for the 65mm Black Eagle rims with center drilling. Did you guys/gals that got the 65mm rims go with the center or offset? Wondering if I should have done the offset or not.

Now I need to buy spokes. I've never built up carbon rims before (but I have >50 aluminum rim wheelbuilds under my belt), so I have a few questions:
    1. Do I need nipples longer than the standard 12mm ones?
    2. Do I need some sort of washer to go underneath the nipple?
    3. Are there any other considerations when building up carbon rims compared to aluminum ones?

I used Freespoke to calculate the following spoke lengths, and wondered if someone can let me know if they are way off or sound right

Final question (for now): how long did it take to get it from the day you ordered the rims?
    I went with the Nextie 90 (only 3 mm offset) so I can't answer your specific questions about the 65s but can offer you this:
    - I used 14 mm brass nips but it looks like 12 mm would work fine.
    - No washers needed
    - I have less experience than you and was a little concerned about carbon so I bought a Park tensiometer. It enabled me to really dial in the tension but the reality is these were the easiest wheels I've ever built. They are so stiff that there was virtually no truing and even when stress relieving it felt like I was doing nothing to them. I have at least a dozen rides on New England roots & rocks and they are solid as day 1. Great wheels.
    - Mine was about 2 weeks from order to delivery.

Congrats, you will love them.

since 4/10/2009
    I have 65mm on 150/177 Hopes. I got center drilled. mikesee built them. Some of the spokes have kinda ugly angles out of the holes. Just a few. I asked mikesee about that, and he said his offset rims are the exact same way. He feels like Nextie ought to tweak their offset drilling some with these rims to relieve the angle on the spokes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I put in an order yesterday for the 65mm Black Eagle rims .....
    Damn. Looking to place similar order. We could have split shipping.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    Drevil, You input spoke hole diameter of 4 on the hub input section. I think that is the rim hole dia. Hub would be more like 2.5?
    Thanks for catching that sir! You're absolutely right, and it does change things slightly.
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-spokelength.png

Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    I went with the Nextie 90 (only 3 mm offset) so I can't answer your specific questions about the 65s but can offer you this:
    - I used 14 mm brass nips but it looks like 12 mm would work fine.
    - No washers needed
    - I have less experience than you and was a little concerned about carbon so I bought a Park tensiometer. It enabled me to really dial in the tension but the reality is these were the easiest wheels I've ever built. They are so stiff that there was virtually no truing and even when stress relieving it felt like I was doing nothing to them. I have at least a dozen rides on New England roots & rocks and they are solid as day 1. Great wheels.
    - Mine was about 2 weeks from order to delivery.
    Congrats, you will love them.
    Thanks for the help and advice. Unless I hear from anyone else, I'll try the 12mm. Yup, I have a tensiometer and always use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bme107 View Post
    Damn. Looking to place similar order. We could have split shipping.
    Ah, if I knew, I definitely would've pinged you!

Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    I have 65mm on 150/177 Hopes. I got center drilled. mikesee built them. Some of the spokes have kinda ugly angles out of the holes. Just a few. I asked mikesee about that, and he said his offset rims are the exact same way. He feels like Nextie ought to tweak their offset drilling some with these rims to relieve the angle on the spokes.
    Thanks for sharing that. I'm wondering if I should try to contact them and getting the 3mm offset ones instead. However, I'm scared of screwing up the order... Anyone ever try to edit their order with Nextie after paying for it?
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | ssoft | flickr

since 4/10/2009
    Brian at nextie is great to work with. Just contact nextie and ask. Wouldn't hurt

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I got a reply back from Nextie. This what they said -

Front wheel: 16pcs 248.1mm left side, 16pcs 248.9mm right side

Rear wheel: 16pcs 249.9mm left size, 16pcs 248.6mm right side.

We suggest you use 14mm length nipples for this length.

If you use 16mm length nipples, the spokes lengths are suggested 1mm shorter, it’s better if you could ask your wheel builder.
    Mine where build as above,they are spot on

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I agree with Morten, offset should be a little better regarding some angles out of the rim.
    For 65s and Hope 135/177, I used 14mm nipples as recommended by Brian and 248mm DT spokes.

My shipping time wasn't exactly benchmark since both Vienna and Klagenfurt had my phone number and they wouldn't even attempt to delivery before calling me first. Such BS. I had track them after I noticed they were sitting TNT for days.

Fat & Single
    Looks good Steve ! Got a very similar looking set here only mine are 90's again. Been waiting nearly 4 weeks on the hubs, spokes arrive weeks ago.
    Evil Following
    Trek 9.9 Superfly SL
    Indy Fab Deluxe 29
    FM190 Fatty
    Pivot Vault CX
    Cervelo R3 Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Has anyone talked to Brian at Nextie recently? We exchanged a couple of emails, i got a quote on a built up set of wheels, and I told him lets go ahead, but it's been days and no reply.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It seams like the Chinese are on holiday every couple of hours, so it might help to google their calendar to see which holiday they might be on.

GoCyco
    Nov 2005
    I just rec'd an email on Friday from Maxwell at Nextie. So someone was working.

mtbr member
    Looks good Steve ! Got a very similar looking set here only mine are 90's again. Been waiting nearly 4 weeks on the hubs, spokes arrive weeks ago.
    Thanks! My first ride was the Iceman Race yesterday - 31 miles of mud. Found out the hard way that Nexties have the added bonus of being excellent mud shedders. Side note for you: At the Iceman vendor expo I picked up the new Bontrager flash pump. Give it around 35 pumps to charge the cylinder, hook up the hose and hit the button and a tubeless fat setup instantly pops the tire into place. Got a demonstration from the Trek rep on a tire setup fatter than mine. Might be handy for your next Simpson race, no air compressor required. What's always hampered my tubeless attempts has been my tiny air compressor, poops out after a full tank and takes forever to fill up. Now I will not need it, and I was just about to start looking for a new one.

The ride was fantastic, never missed a line which was tricky in all that mud. I fried my legs on the last big climb which took a lot out of me for the last 5 miles. Looking forward to riding some proper dry land and beach.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ah, if I knew, I definitely would've pinged you!
    If you hear any local rumblings of an order let me know at the Global ride.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast