Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I dont have a Lou at hand (have ordered one) but so far I have absolutely no problem with these rims, also not tubeless. I have tried Surly Nate 4.0 and now also a one year old used OnOne 4.0 Floater tire. This is my lousiest sitting fat tire, its rolling of a Rolling Darryl in no time, but mounting it tubeless on the Nextie Rim is just plain wonderful. It has been even better than most other rims/tires I have ever setup. I have used a 20mm Stans Tape in the middle of the rim, mounted the tire with a tube, removed the tube (was again some work, since the tires are sitting so snug on that rim, but easier than the nasty sticking Nate), filled 40ml Caffelattex and had only 4 tiny holes where air leaked. I have then filled 50ml more, shaked and pumped (all floor pump only) and its holding the air since saturday eve. For me thats just plain ideal. I can at least remove the tire in the field without large tools (but I have to push the bead away from the corner all around the tire, its sitting so snug and smooth) and tubeless is kindergarden. I dont know why there should be such a difference for Bud/Lou, but I ordered one together with two more rims. If they are the same as my first rim, they are just plainly the best rims I ever had for fat tires. I use their rims now on all my bikes, and I personally love them. But thats my personal view, happy customer me.

This place needs an enema
    No news from Brian @ Nextie since last week.

Cannot even get the tire up to a reasonable pressure to try to seal it up--air leaks from between the rim and tire at anything over ~2psi.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    No news from Brian @ Nextie since last week.

Cannot even get the tire up to a reasonable pressure to try to seal it up--air leaks from between the rim and tire at anything over ~2psi.
    Kinda funny he has always been quick to respond

I just put my order in for a set of Light Bicycle, those worry me as well but we will see.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have talked to Brian every day this last week, since I have other orders running too. So far no problem on his side, everything smooth. He cant just do much more currently I fear. The mold is not modifiable so easy and others dont seem to have any issues. But as far as I know he is in deep contact with his engineers to solve the open questions. (But I am not related to the company or so (not even chinese, I am european), so I leave that to him). In about two weeks I will get my next two rims and a Lou tire too. I will set them up tubeless asap and let you know. The Australians should get theirs laced these days I think (the yellow ones). Lets see what they will say.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickerklicker View Post
    I have laced the Nextie Prototype rim . I will go for 244 for my production set.

I have talked to Brian every day this last week, since I have other orders running too. (But I am not related to the company or so (not even chinese, I am european),
    Maybe the rims are fine but something is funny here.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Kinda funny he has always been quick to respond

I just put my order in for a set of Light Bicycle, those worry me as well but we will see.
    Are the LB rims on the site or do you have to email them? Didn't see them when I looked.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    Are the LB rims on the site or do you have to email them? Didn't see them when I looked.
    I've been in email correspondence and officially ordered them, not getting my hopes up but we will see. Something just seems weird!
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    @bdundee, come over to our swiss forum at twentyniner.ch and have a chat, feel funny and have a swiss beer. There we discuss the rims too (sorry, in german), and there are most of my pictures too, linked from Flickr. Anyway, I only share my experience so far, what else this is good for here? Kinda funny. But I better keep shut, go out riding and leave it to you.

Nuts
    @bdundee, come over to our swiss forum at twentyniner.ch and have a chat, feel funny and have a swiss beer. There we discuss the rims too (sorry, in german), and there are most of my pictures too, linked from Flickr. Anyway, I only share my experience so far, what else this is good for here? Kinda funny. But I better keep shut, go out riding and leave it to you.
    That's cool, we get a few spammers that show up to promote their products and one can never tell how legit they really are. You have not been here in several years and show up just to promote these wheels just didn't sit right. It just came to me that you are the one who did the small review for nextie and posted it on their Facebook page. I am interested in your results but just needed to know where you are coming from.

Cheers.....bOb

Edit: I owe you an apology, I was over on your Swiss forum and good stuff there. Next time lead with your credentials
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    The Australians should get theirs laced these days I think (the yellow ones)
    I could have a play with mine while im waiting for the spokes, would save a bit of time after they are laced. Might have a go at it over the next few days.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

FYI--from Brian @ Nextie to me.

"Hi Mike,

Sorry for bringing the inconvenience to you. Please allow me to forward the details.

In fact, after completing this fat rim mold, we have don't some samples to test its performance and sent a sample rim to a customer who have various fat bike tires. We didn't try tires ourselves because we couldn't get fatbike tires in China. Fatbike is not popular in China at all, no fat tires suppliers in China, we considered to order different fat tires of different brand from other countries, but that would take much time to collect different tires, many customers are waiting for our fat rims. So it would be more convenient and efficient to ship one to a rider who had years experience of fatbike cycling, having different fatbike tires and knowing how to do with tires. That customer was very nice and a regular customer of ours, giving many advices to help us developing this fat rim. We trust him. And he did very well. He tried three different fat tires, Surly Nate tire, Vee Rubber OnOne tire and one another I forget the tire type. These tires were great for mounting on our fat rims, also perfect tubeless performance on Vee Rubber tire. After his actual tire tests, we started to ship the first batch of rims who had made preorder of the fat rim.

We realized the issue when I received your email saying the unavailability of tubelessness on our fat rim. The issue is probably the BSD sizing after our analysis.

Actually the BSD of our fat rim is 558mm, while the standard is 22inch, nearly 559mm. We made it 558mm smaller because of a fact: we used to make a 26" MTB with BSD 559mm, and the tire we tested was good, but it turned out that many customers could not mount tires well, BSD is too big. We changed it to 558mm, no issues any more afterwards, even with tubeless. We learned that many tires manufacturers made tires that were with smaller BSD so that some tires suited well but others didn't. A compromise was made, then issue solved.
    But the 26" mtb rim solution seem not the key to the 26" fat rim.

This time, we'll modify the BSD to 559mm. I believe that some other customers can not install a tire well after the change. But that will no longer be our rim problem but a tire problem because our rim is standard.

I know we made a mistake about this. And we are trying our best to fix it up.
    For customers who would use tubeless, we'd like to offer free replacements. For customers who won't run tubeless and have a un-strict tire, the fat rim they had at hand would be better.

We haven't shipped fat rims out after your feedback and waiting the updates of the mold and new rims to ship.

I know it's a long time and understand your feeling. We jus to hope to make it better for customers who are still waiting for them.

Please let me know if you can't wait, I totally understand and would like to refund to you at anytime.

It's still not bad that we only sent several pairs of the rims out, hope our fault would not be thrown a bad reputation. We do apologize to all the customers who are kept to wait!

Best Regards,

Brian
    "

Nuts
    ^^^Thanks Mike, do you think 1mm is going to make a difference?
    And I love beer!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    ^^^Thanks Mike, do you think 1mm is going to make a difference?
    Personally I think it's gonna take more than that, but I don't gather that they're willing to go that far.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    They look sensational Ozzy

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by shanesbw View Post
    They look sensational Ozzy
    Cheers Shane.... currently being replaced before i even build them. As the problem above, i have not tried but the BSD is too small to go tubeless.

I wouldn't mind having a go at it anyway, will see how much time i have in the next week or two before the new ones arrive.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I hope your frame is John Deere green!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    ^^This!!^^

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Considering buying these, even with the glitches.
    Mike, Ozzy, would a wrap of stans tape under the bead be considered an unsuitable solution?
    Tires aren't all exactly the same ID even if they have same ERD, how would one normally deal with this?

Fat & Single
    I am going to try 2 wraps of approx 7mm gorilla in the bead recess then 8898 to seal it all up.

The mold is being changed, all rims sent out from now will be the new BSD.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Quote Originally Posted by roobydoo View Post
    Considering buying these, even with the glitches.
    Mike, Ozzy, would a wrap of stans tape under the bead be considered an unsuitable solution?
    Tires aren't all exactly the same ID even if they have same ERD, how would one normally deal with this?
    3 layers of a stans-esque tape did nothing to seal mine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great, thanks for complete info.
    I know neither of you are amateurs at this, so I just wanted to make sure that some of the tricks people are trying are valid methods. Over compensating for mfg defects however, not so good for weight and reliability. Will wait this one out for a while.

Fat & Single
    Tape time.... 1 wrap of approx 6-7mm of gorilla tape in the bead recess, then 1 wrap of 8898 on each side and 1 down the middle.

Got it to about 15psi DRY but there's air escaping inside the rim, the tape in the photos looks neat but i now have forearms like popeye and the tape wont stretch enough to conform to the rims concave shape, so there is some wrinkles down in the middle. Im thinking there is a wrinkle i cant see that the air is getting out through.

So, tube fitted back up and sitting at 30psi, will let it compress the tape for a day or two till i get some more time.

Its wasnt an easy job to break the bead now even with some soapy water present.

Regardless if this works, the hassle of having to tape right up both sides and use combo of gorilla tape and 8898 is not what these wheels were meant to be about. One strip down the middle should have done the job.

More in a day or two if i find some time to mess around.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Loser
    After my gorilla tape experience I really think you need the tape to go up the edges of the rim so it gets pinched by the bead. I know that's not what these rims were supposed to be, but I found the Stans to be an unfortunate, though effective solvent for the tape stick if it had ANY way to get in there.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Fat & Single
    I know all about stans and gorilla, that is why i use 8898 tape. This is only an experiment to see if I can get the tyre to seal.

The rims are being replaced by nextie, so rather than wait till the new ones to arrive, I am only having a mess around. It would be very disappointing if the new ones arrived and still didn't seal.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    If you look at the second pic, the gorilla is only there as a filler. The air tightness is gotten by 8898 alone.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast