Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 1,651 to 1,676 of 1676
    mtbr member
    Well, I just ordered some 65mm Black Eagle II for my first wheel build!

I'd like to order my spokes and nips so i can be ready to build when the rims get here.

Their website states an ERD of 510mm. So, I just ADD the above mentioned adjustment of 3mm to the ERD to get the correct ERD??

Anyone build up some Black Eagle II's?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

BE II 27.5 x 65

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1823.jpg

2183 grams set up with tape and valves. DT Swiss Big rides 150/197
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

mtbr member
    That's pretty light!

Was there published ERD correct? I'm looking to build up a set too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    That's pretty light!

Was there published ERD correct? I'm looking to build up a set too!
    I had my LBS build them. IDK.
    Terryscycle.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My LBS built my mine, too, with build measurements/details verified by Nextie. They were very helpful and responsive via email and spot-on.

mtbr member

Anybody try the "PREMIUM Asymmetric 45mm 27.5+" rims??

For the longest time, I've been leaning towards the Jungle Fox 52mm 27.5+ (inner width 45mm) rim, but the "Premium Asymmetric 45mm rim" (39mm inner width) also catches my eye. Anyone try one or both of these and care to share your thoughts? Fwiw, my plan is to build a dedicated 650b "plus" trail hardtail, and I tend to favor the current wider end of the spectrum, i.e. 3". Thanks!
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

Merendon Junkie
    What the deal with these "premium" rims on the nextie website? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it over the "normal" version?

Cheers

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    What the deal with these "premium" rims on the nextie website? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it over the "normal" version?

Cheers
    I have no direct experience with the premium rims but this is what their explanation is from PREMIUM Carbon Fat Bike :
    To compare with normal rims, the improvements of premium rims are as below.

1. The premium rims are manufactured by better T700 carbon fibers materials with higher resin composite;

2. In aspect of technology, the layer-up system, carbon fibers are cut in angles of 30 degrees and 60 degrees. More complicated process to achieve improvements of stiffness and strength. It performs better impact resistance than normal rims with only one degree of 45;

3. We made a separate mold to layer up the spoke bed wall by carbon fiber. The flatness of rim channel surface significantly improved, which makes the thickness at each spoke hole completely consistent, so that it effectively prevents the carbon loop of spoke hole wall from shifting;

4. Each of rim would be attached with a card showing the flatness and roundness. The flatness and roundness are controlled within 0.3mm, better than normal 0.5mm. It's quite easy to build wheels than normal versions;

5. We enhanced the depth from 16.5mm to 14.5mm (NXT90WD-II to premium NXT90WD-IIX), this small change makes big difference. You don't need any tools at all to run tubeless. It's so easy, just mount tires on rims and pump tires, tubeless setup succeeds.

6. Three years warranty

All that being said, the three sets I have built have been stiff and true.

mtbr member
    I received the Black Eagles!

I measured them and the ERD on them is in fact 513mm.

So that confirms the 510+3 posted earlier in the thread.

Ordered the spokes and can't wait to lace them up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

My Black Eagle II 27.5's

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1379.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1381.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just finished building a set of Wild Dragon II 90mm on DT Big Ride 150/197. It's a crazt spoke angle, but I like the triangularity, and they roll nice. It's the stupid season in Minneapolis, Spring is early, so no snow, no trails. All I've really got is a road ride and a little skills park, but no issues.
    I used a skinny strip of tape up the middle and a 65mm Orange Seal valve set, 4 oz Orange Seal Subzero. Mounting the Vee Bulldozer XL wasn't bad, (I've got a compressor) and I'm not worried about burps. Without tape in the bead, it's a hard pull to unseat the tire and fish out the lever that somehow ended up in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just received my NXT27AS33 Nextie Asymmetric 650b 27mm internal 33mm external rims today and wanted to share my experience so far. I know they aren't fat rims, but this is the most prevalent Nextie rim thread by a longshot as far as I can tell.

Build quality appears to be excellent upon initial inspection, although there was one tiny but visible scratch on one of the rim's lips when I received them. ERD seems fairly accurate. I measured roughly 541.5mm compared to the claimed 541mm, although that's just a rough measurement. Weight on the other hand was not so accurate. My calibrated scale is showing about 429 or 430g for each of the rims, which is about 5% heavier than the manufacturer's claimed 410g.

Have others been finding that these rims are a little heaver than claimed as well? Wondering if that's normal or if maybe they added an extra layer to mine or something.

Planning to build them up on some DT 350 hubs with CX Ray spokes and DT alloy nipples. First set of carbon hoops, so I'm stoked! Can't wait

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Just received my NXT27AS33 Nextie Asymmetric 650b 27mm internal 33mm external rims today and wanted to share my experience so far. I know they aren't fat rims, but this is the most prevalent Nextie rim thread by a longshot as far as I can tell.

Build quality appears to be excellent upon initial inspection, although there was one tiny but visible scratch on one of the rim's lips when I received them. ERD seems fairly accurate. I measured roughly 541.5mm compared to the claimed 541mm, although that's just a rough measurement. Weight on the other hand was not so accurate. My calibrated scale is showing about 429 or 430g for each of the rims, which is about 5% heavier than the manufacturer's claimed 410g.

Have others been finding that these rims are a little heaver than claimed as well? Wondering if that's normal or if maybe they added an extra layer to mine or something.

Planning to build them up on some DT 350 hubs with CX Ray spokes and DT alloy nipples. First set of carbon hoops, so I'm stoked! Can't wait
    I weighed my 65mm LB rims at 518 and 523g, but I had them plainted blue. Claimed (with no paint) was 500g. I weighed a 90mm LB rim a few days ago because I rebuilt the wheel. That was 665g, again, I had it pained blue. It's a lot of surface area to paint too, so I'm pretty happy. Claimed without paint is 650g.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Nextie-Bike carbon rims

Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post

I have those but in 29" on dt 240s and competition spokes. I think i calculated they would be 1650ish g and i weighed them at 1702g. Not tooo bad, going on my top fuel, bontragers kovee pro wheels are a tiny bit heavier, less spokes, no dt hubs and. I22.5mm for $800 more. So im really happy with them.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I have those but in 29" on dt 240s and competition spokes. I think i calculated they would be 1650ish g and i weighed them at 1702g. Not tooo bad, going on my top fuel, bontragers kovee pro wheels are a tiny bit heavier, less spokes, no dt hubs and. I22.5mm for $800 more. So im really happy with them.
    Nice, that's going to be a sweet wheelset! Yeah, I've been super happy with my DT hubs. I had 240s hubs and comp spokes on my old bike, and they are rock solid. Decided to try 350 hubs and CX Ray spokes this time just because I think the build came out slightly cheaper and lighter that way.

Sounds like your experience with the rim weight has been similar to mine. I guess that's just want you get at this price point. Hard to complain when the cost of both rims shipped is less than the price of a single rim from any of the more mainstream brands.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Nextie Wild Dragon Build

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziBen View Post
    I just finished building a set of Wild Dragon II 90mm on DT Big Ride 150/197. It's a crazt spoke angle, but I like the triangularity, and they roll nice. It's the stupid season in Minneapolis, Spring is early, so no snow, no trails. All I've really got is a road ride and a little skills park, but no issues.
    I used a skinny strip of tape up the middle and a 65mm Orange Seal valve set, 4 oz Orange Seal Subzero. Mounting the Vee Bulldozer XL wasn't bad, (I've got a compressor) and I'm not worried about burps. Without tape in the bead, it's a hard pull to unseat the tire and fish out the lever that somehow ended up in there.
    Sweet!

I am about to build a set of Wild Dragons IIs with the same hub spacing. What ERD did you use? I am getting a spoke length of 244mm (front wheel) with 499mm ERD (as stated on the rim). Any other tips or problems during the build? Nextie website recommends a 14mm nipple but do you think the DT Swiss 12mm nipples will work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    i've built a few nexties...and 12mm on all of them. i prefer 12mm nips. you need alittle more care as the interface is close to the rim due to how thick the carbon is, but its not a big deal at all.

i would recommend you measure erd yourself several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjammin2wheels View Post
    Sweet!

I am about to build a set of Wild Dragons IIs with the same hub spacing. What ERD did you use? I am getting a spoke length of 244mm (front wheel) with 499mm ERD (as stated on the rim). Any other tips or problems during the build? Nextie website recommends a 14mm nipple but do you think the DT Swiss 12mm nipples will work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    i've built a few nexties...and 12mm on all of them. i prefer 12mm nips. you need alittle more care as the interface is close to the rim due to how thick the carbon is, but its not a big deal at all.

i would recommend you measure erd yourself several times.
    Ok.
    I measured the ERD (spoke hole to spoke hole) twice and I am getting 490mm which is 9mm less than the stated ERD. It is the same for both rims that I received. Are you recommending to add 3mm to the actual measured ERD? Thanks!

mtbr member
    That sounds strange. Of the 6 or 7 Nexties i have built the stated ERD has been more or less the diameter of the surface of the rim where the nipple will sit. Generally, ERD includes the nipple 'bulge' as well, so 3-4mm more than this diameter. That has been give or take <1mm for all those rims over several years.

Of course, they may have recently made the rim itself a different dimension than stated (it would have to be 4.5mm deeper section for your measurements) or they have simply made an error in the stated ERD, but i would be surprised about that.

How are you measuring ERD?

I use 2 spokes marked to a specific depth, thread them to nipples until fully inserted in the rim and then use wire to hold the j bends to each other tightly and measure the distance between accurately measured marks on the shaft of the spokes. I do this several times around the circumference.

I am not saying 490 is wrong, but I would suggest measuring again?

Edit: Here is a better explanation

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Of course, they may have recently made the rim itself a different dimension than stated (it would have to be 4.5mm deeper section for your measurements) or they have simply made an error in the stated ERD, but i would be surprised about that.
    I have actually caught a typo in the spec on their website a while back. It wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email about it if you think you're measuring it correctly but it's still off by more than a millimeter or so.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That sounds strange. Of the 6 or 7 Nexties i have built the stated ERD has been more or less the diameter of the surface of the rim where the nipple will sit. Generally, ERD includes the nipple 'bulge' as well, so 3-4mm more than this diameter. That has been give or take <1mm for all those rims over several years.

How are you measuring ERD?

I use 2 spokes marked to a specific depth, thread them to nipples until fully inserted in the rim and then use wire to hold the j bends to each other tightly and measure the distance between accurately measured marks on the shaft of the spokes. I do this several times around the circumference.

I am not saying 490 is wrong, but I would suggest measuring again?

Edit: Here is a better explanation

Thank for the feedback and replies! I am going to try measuring with spokes (and someone with wheel building experience) this afternoon!

mtbr member
    This seems to be something new?

http://www.nextie.net/fatbike-single-wall-NXT26XS85

Single/double wall hybrid, 85mm and just 520g. Nextie come up with something that so far was only available from brands like Kuroshiro/HED. Great.

27.5/29 plus rims weight basically the same, makes plus setup abit pointless IMO (i.e. there is no weight gains).
    Shame Nextie does not offer DT Dwiss hubs directly on their site anymore...

Sent from my SM-G900F

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    We built up a set that came in at 2080g but it sold before we could try them out. Two more pair on the way today

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What was the build on this wheel set. i am looking for a super light 80-85mm wheels set but i wont go with HED.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok I just measured with the spoke method ensuring that the spokes are screwed in flush with the tops of the nipples. It seems that the ERD when just measuring the rim is actually about 488mm. The length of the spokes need to be about 6mm longer in order to screw in flush with the top of the nipple. If I add the threaded spoke length to the measured ERD I can get the ~499 ERD stated by Nextie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterLV View Post
    This seems to be something new?

[NXT26XS85] [Xiphias] PREMIUM 85mm Width Carbon Single Wall Fat Bike 26" Rim [Tubeless Compatible]

Single/double wall hybrid, 85mm and just 520g. Nextie come up with something that so far was only available from brands like Kuroshiro/HED. Great.

27.5/29 plus rims weight basically the same, makes plus setup abit pointless IMO (i.e. there is no weight gains).
    Shame Nextie does not offer DT Dwiss hubs directly on their site anymore...

Sent from my SM-G900F
    Anyone try these single wall rims yet?

I'd like to see them in 100 or 105

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334