Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    I used the same DT spoke calc and the same 505 ERD and, for my hubs, the calc came out spot-on.

Tubelessness has, thus far, been a failure. I can get the beads to seat just fine, even with a floor pump, but air is escaping from beneath the beads faster than I can put it in, even with a compressor. Have already added a few layers of tape to snug-up the fit, but the end result is the same--no bueno on tubeless.
    Well that sucks!! I want to know more about these rims but without tubeless all is lost

Maybe on to Light Bike rims or just go Hed.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Which tire do you have used? I have mounted a Surly Nate 4.0 and had about 30min to get it off again, it stuck so extremely well. I cant see, why it should not be possible to mount it tubeless. Well, I will try myself these days, lets see what happens.

Nuts
    Mike any further thoughts on these rims would be greatly appreciated.
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    Not so good Mike ! What tyres were they.... not that it really matters. The discrepancy with bead cicrumference is different across batches, mt first install of Buds was a fit made in heaven. The replacement rear leaked stans around the bead like a @#$# so I used mold builder latex as the first sealant to get it air tight then added stan's through the valve.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    Mike any further thoughts on these rims would be greatly appreciated.
    Not much to add until I can ride them. Rear doesn't seem likely to hold tubeless, given the fiddling that's happened thus far. Will be in contact with Brian @ Nextie ASAP to see what they suggest to resolve this.

Might get a chance to lace the front over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Not so good Mike ! What tyres were they.... not that it really matters. The discrepancy with bead cicrumference is different across batches, mt first install of Buds was a fit made in heaven. The replacement rear leaked stans around the bead like a @#$# so I used mold builder latex as the first sealant to get it air tight then added stan's through the valve.
    Brand new Lou.

Nuts
    Don't know much about rims but from my experience with fat tires I could see making a rim with a bigger BSD than 559.

I have a feeling maybe this is why we have not seen the Stans rims yet, tires just to sloppy.
    And I love beer!!

Fat & Single
    I was wanting these to run HuDu's on as a faster set of wheels as my Buds are noticeably slower, i had issues getting the ultralite HuDu's to seal on my other set of margelites as the tyre bead was not as tight as the buds, then the new single bud (from a year later) was looser too. Its possible that i am going to have the same issue with these then if the tyre bead fit on ML's was anything to go by.

I'll not give it much thought just yet, will wait and see how they go when i set them up.

Damn tyre specs
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I got mine this morning.. Have one mounted up with a Bud and the other with a BFL... Both tires went on fairly tight, will be fiddling with tubeless when I get them laced up tomorrow and get some tubeless valves..

FWIW, mine weighed in at 680g and 690g respectively...

Fat & Single
    Quote Originally Posted by AKCheesehead View Post
    I got mine this morning.. Have one mounted up with a Bud and the other with a BFL... Both tires went on fairly tight, will be fiddling with tubeless when I get them laced up tomorrow and get some tubeless valves..

FWIW, mine weighed in at 680g and 690g respectively...
    I am guessing you have mounted tyres and tubes ? Keep them aired up to 25-30psi till you start work on them, sometimes mounting a new tyre with a tube for a few days helps squash those little ripples on the bead seal lip and helps the tyre seal better from the start.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am guessing you have mounted tyres and tubes ? Keep them aired up to 25-30psi till you start work on them, sometimes mounting a new tyre with a tube for a few days helps squash those little ripples on the bead seal lip and helps the tyre seal better from the start.
    Yep! All aired up and sitting patiently...

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the weight? Aired up before building?

Yep! All aired up and sitting patiently...

Nuts
    Any new reports yet?
    And I love beer!!

Sup
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-patience.jpg

nothing to see here
    I am slow therefore I am

Any new reports yet?
    I've been in contact w/Brian @ Nextie about the tubeless issue. He thinks it might have something to do with the glossy-on-the-inside finish. I think it's strictly an undersize bead clinch.

Pretty sure it's the weekend over there, too, so not likely to hear much more about it til Monday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Still waiting for spokes here, should arrive tomorrow and should have at least one built by Sunday night... In the meantime...

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpg

Nuts
    From Brian at Nextie.

In fact, yes, the rim channel is deep as you see from the pictue we post on facebook. Maybe itís deeper than any other rims you have seen before. We design a deep channel for two reasons: 1. Deep channel allows you to pump more air inside which improve the comfortability on sand, mud, and other terrains; youíll feel it when ride with it. 2. A deep channel allows you to mount tire very easily, just by hand, no need other tools.
    Concerning tubeless setup, we also considered it. So we design a small channel with about 4mm width at the rim bead. You may hardly view the thin channel there from the picture, but that small channel could lock the tire tightly so that it runs tubeless superb.
    Btw, the curve surface of the channel make the tire mount smoothly.
    And I love beer!!

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Btw, the curve surface of the channel make the tire mount smoothly.
    All that sounds cool, and I suspect this last claim especially is no stretch of the truth. I found mounting tires on the Large Marge very easy when exploiting the comparably shallow channel featured with that rim.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

Fat & Single
    Moi's arrived in Oz yesterday, currently in Sydney, hopefully will be delivered here Monday. Ordered 244mm DT revos to build them with, could only get silver so might get them powdercoated if my hubs have not arrived.

Absolutely nowhere had black revos for sale in 244mm.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Got the front laced up but the phone isn't cooperating with the pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpg  

Nuts
    Got the front laced up but the phone isn't cooperating with the pic...
    Wow that looks pretty cool! Can't wait to see it on a bike. Tubeless yet?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Here it is... Tipped the scale at 1,140 using brass nipples and DT double butted spokes.

Not tensioned or trued, just placed in there for the photo. Haven't messed with tubeless yet.

Fat & Single
    That looks FAT !!!

Well here's my offering to the "pump-em-up-club".... got a small issue of no spokes yet but that's minor detail

I soaped the bead and they went on with a positive pop, was going to leave them at about 30psi but i see one of them is flat already as the tube obviously has a hole in it.

Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Sup
    looks good ozzy
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    That looks FAT !!!

Well here's my offering to the "pump-em-up-club".... got a small issue of no spokes yet but that's minor detail

I soaped the bead and they went on with a positive pop, was going to leave them at about 30psi but i see one of them is flat already as the tube obviously has a hole in it.

Wow! Bold statement with the yellow. Should prevent you from getting t-boned out on the trail.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast