Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,700 of 1718
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    See that works out for both of you, I'm sure most of the packages are for Steve
    Hiding from my wife would take too much of the enjoyment out of buying bike parts. I like knowing that I will be getting a thorough interrogation when I get home, and that box is sitting on the kitchen table!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    So I weighed my wheelset (onyx hubs, nextie wild dragons, dt spokes, tubeless Bud/Knard 4.8) against my buddies wheelset (hope hubs, clownshoes, dt spokes, split tube Bud/Lou) and there is over a 4lb difference in favor of my wheelset.

I figured it would be lighter, but WOW!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    So I weighed my wheelset (onyx hubs, nextie wild dragons, dt spokes, tubeless Bud/Knard 4.8) against my buddies wheelset (hope hubs, clownshoes, dt spokes, split tube Bud/Lou) and there is over a 4lb difference in favor of my wheelset.

I figured it would be lighter, but WOW!!
    Uhhh, pics bro? And a report on the silent hub. I'm so used to annoying my riding buddies with my Hopes that I'm afraid the silent hub might freak me out. I'd have to get a bell or sumptin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Uhhh, pics bro? And a report on the silent hub. I'm so used to annoying my riding buddies with my Hopes that I'm afraid the silent hub might freak me out. I'd have to get a bell or sumptin.
    Hope hubs are just too loud for me. Honestly the silence thing didn't freak me out at all, you just realize there is no noise at all and get along with the rest of your day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-nexties.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SmooveP View Post
    Same. Most of the time I'm pedaling and only coast at higher speeds, down hill, where the wind noise is higher and I don't notice the hub while I'm in my zone. But riding with my kids or plodding around in the silent snow covered forest it can be annoying. It's at those times when I wish I had a silent hub.

There are many times I've come up on riders or hikers, I tuck in behind them, and they didn't notice me until the Hopes buzzed. Nice brake tune, clutch RD and Onyx hub is a stealth combination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jonshonda View Post
    Hope hubs are just too loud for me. Honestly the silence thing didn't freak me out at all, you just realize there is no noise at all and get along with the rest of your day!
    Looks great! But how is it riding without handlebars?

rth009
    May 2010

Valve Stem leak on Nextie 90

I recently had a new set of nextie wild dragon 90s laced up by my shop (warranty replacement after a year because the jacked up spoke angles were causing broken spokes) and they wont hold air on the valve stem. I can get the beads to seat no problem, but they leak rapidly from the valve stem area and Stans sealant has not sealed it. The same shop built the prior set (as well as a set of jungle foxes) and they held air fine and they are very experienced, so I doubt its anything the shop did. The tape appears to have been applied properly and I used the same Stans valves that had been working fine on the prior set. Anyone else have this problem? Suggestions? Thanks.

viva la v-brakes!
    Different valve stems are designed differently. Take a look at American Classic, they have a shape that might work, but also look around, many other brands approach the seal at the inner rim interface differently. I think I'm running WTB in my Wild Dragons.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I would double check the tape, also might not hurt to double up the tape around the valve stem area. Mine were fine with valves that had a tapered rubber seal.

rth009
    May 2010
    Thanks for the replies, I have set up numerous tubeless wheels (including 4 prior Nextie wheels) and never had this problem.

I will double check the tape, but the LBS built the second wheel after I had advised them that the first wheel was leaking air at the valve stem, so I'm sure they properly applied the tape.

I will also add some more tape around the valve stem area and order a set of American classic valves. It looks like the AM Classic have both a rubber o-ring as well as another gasket. Does anyone know if this second gasket goes on top of the rim between the rim and the nut or inside the rim next to the O-ring?

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016

They are here!

Look at what I got.... Now I need to order spokes has anyone built the Nextie Junglefox II with Hope 4 Fatsno hubs I am looking to confirm spoke length. I came up with 259mm, can anyone confirm? Also would it be ok to go to 260mm? 259 seems hard to get.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-nextiejunglefoxii.jpg  

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    Oh my goodness, Nextie spoked wheels
    Disclaimer: I run Regular Cycles (as of 2016). As a profiteer of the bicycle industry, I am not to be taken very seriously.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    Looks good, and it appears they finally figured out how to solve the nipple issue with them as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Diller View Post
    I think those look awesome, but I've been hesitant to purchase as I haven't been able to get any info on the freehub quality. I'd hate to drop the coin and end up with a low engagement or otherwise POS freehub that I can't get a replacement for. I'm hoping they used a commonly available one.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

Rocking on a Rocky
    Quote Originally Posted by Paochow View Post
    I think those look awesome, but I've been hesitant to purchase as I haven't been able to get any info on the freehub quality. I'd hate to drop the coin and end up with a low engagement or otherwise POS freehub that I can't get a replacement for. I'm hoping they used a commonly available one.
    The Website lists 3. Shimano 10-11 speed
    SRAM 10-11 speed
    Campagnolo
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyJo1 View Post
    The Website lists 3. Shimano 10-11 speed
    SRAM 10-11 speed
    Campagnolo
    Saw that- I was looking more for POE, how many pawls, if an existing off the shelf freehub (salsa/race face, hope, stans, SRAM, etc.) can be used as a replacement. I'd hate to buy a set and then have them end up being a lousy paperweight if the freehub blew up and I couldn't get a spare.
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Nextie got back to me promptly- it is a proprietary freehub:
    ____

Hi Pao,

This is Brian Hsia at Nextie Bike. Thanks for the inquiry.

Front hub: 2 bearings.
    Rear hub with Shimano and Campgnolo hub body:5 bearings
    Rear hub with SRAM hub body: 4 bearings

Rear hub 4 pawls.

You can replace the hubs internals in case they are in problem. but only hubs internal we offer. The hubs internals are not compatible with other hub brands.

What is point of engagement? Sorry I am not familiar with that.

Best Regards,
    Brian at Nextie Bike
    '17 Cutthroat
    '16 Bucksaw Carbon
    '15 Fatboy Expert

mtbr member
    The idea of the internals not being compatible with others doesn't necessarily mean it's proprietary.

I did some googling, and the evidence points towards the hub being a pretty standard low-end hub. Nothing special. The kind of hub on pretty much every Chinese carbon wheelset. That makes sense, because they're a carbon house, and if there's one thing China has, it's suppliers of pretty much anything else you could ever want, just a phone call away.

I know that's not proof, but I can go through my history to dig up the company that produces them if you wish...

mtbr member
    Just checking in with owners - I'm pulling the trigger on these, and I'm torn on the finish. Matte looks better, but...

Does glossy shed snow significantly better than matte?
    Anyone tried waxing their rims to help even more?

TIA!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee View Post
    Just checking in with owners - I'm pulling the trigger on these, and I'm torn on the finish. Matte looks better, but...

TIA!
    I had this problem more with aluminum rims before I switched to carbon. For some reason the snow "stuck" to the aluminum ones much better.

Front carbon is always clean and rear gets a light "coating" around it. I remember my aluminum ones would pick up some pretty massive amounts that would stay wedged in there and form ice or something.
    Carbon:
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-01bafabb0d6750ee8e4a88486e361682cf80c398b5.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-01a687f22ef37ebe94fc85ab61f8eead789da216a2.jpg
    Alu:
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-image.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    That's excellent, and I appreciate the info.

That said, and I hate to say this... but you didn't answer my specific question.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

TIA!
    As was just mentioned, alu vs carbon is like night and day when it comes to shedding snow.

Matt carbon vs glossy carbon doesn't matter as much, but if snow buildup is your biggest concern, go as slick and shiny as possible..

There's a difference between types of carbon, just not as extreme as when comparing alu to carbon.

The best snow shredder of them all is probably the nexus dragon (pyramide shape) in glossy carbon with a thin layer of some hard car wax of some sort..
    Last edited by Andy81; 04-25-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Explanation

mtbr member
    Thanks! That's exactly the rim I'm getting. And, I'm in Sweden, so getting skiing glide wax is a no-brainer.

mtbr member
    In fact, here's the design I'm playing with. I hope they go for it and let me do this slightly modified Nextie logo. I like the logo well enough, but in a solid white it's just too damn loud. This works a bit better for my tastes. Outline in gray.

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-nextie_rim_design.png

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    anyone have experience with the 65mm 27.5 rims ? whats the smallest tire width run spec reads 3.0. I am looking to have these on my farley 9.6 to run all tire sizes 3.0 to 4.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks! That's exactly the rim I'm getting. And, I'm in Sweden, so getting skiing glide wax is a no-brainer.
    New thread topic: Hot waxing Snow Bike Rims, What Works, What Doesn't?.......
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    New thread topic: Hot waxing Snow Bike Rims, What Works, What Doesn't?.......
    I'll happily write that thread!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamogal View Post
    anyone have experience with the 65mm 27.5 rims ? whats the smallest tire width run spec reads 3.0. I am looking to have these on my farley 9.6 to run all tire sizes 3.0 to 4.5
    Yes! I'm running that rim size on a 3.8 Hodag and it's fantastic. Better than expected. Not sure how it would be on a 3.0 but I will probably try it at some point. I personally won't go bigger than 3.8 as I have great carbon 90's with bud/D5 for the snow and sand. Both wheelset are identical. Same hubs and rotors so swapping between the 2 is a breeze.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nice thread, I'm considering a pair of 40mm for my Niner.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nextie Single Wall Fat Carbon...

https://www.facebook.com/nextie.bike/

mtbr member
    Might i ask if you built up the black eagle 27.5 yourself? I am waiting for one and would be curious what the measured ERD is: i think the number Nextie give is the rim surface diameter, as the 4 nextie i have built have had an ERD of 6mm or so greater than the quoted figure- about the difference the nipple heads make.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy43 View Post
    Yes! I'm running that rim size on a 3.8 Hodag and it's fantastic. Better than expected. Not sure how it would be on a 3.0 but I will probably try it at some point. I personally won't go bigger than 3.8 as I have great carbon 90's with bud/D5 for the snow and sand. Both wheelset are identical. Same hubs and rotors so swapping between the 2 is a breeze.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Ordered Nextie Crocodile 42mm 29+ (NXT29CD42), matte finish, A-style drilling, and no decals. They took 3 weeks to arrive - I ordered May 31st, they shipped on June 12th, and arrived here in Canada on the 20th (via Canada Post). The original tracking number they sent me had an extra letter, and they responded promptly to my email with the correct one. I also tagged them on a Facebook post mentioning my first direct-from-China order, and they posted a nice response telling me not to worry. By all accounts, the rims appear perfect. Had my LBS build them on Hope Pro 4 Fatsno's, and they were very impressed as well.

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-crocodile.jpg

I've been riding them for a couple weeks now, and they're awesome. So, assuming these hold up, and I have zero reason to believe they won't, I would recommend Nextie to friends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Nextie 27.5" on a Bucksaw rocks.....

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-2016-05-12-14.43.30.jpg
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-2016-05-12-14.45.27.jpg
    Nextie-Bike carbon rims-2016-05-12-14.46.20.jpg

mtbr member
    First time I've seen an actual picture of the Nextie croc rims. They look great! Thanks for posting.

I've got two sets of Nextie rims - 65mm fat rims and 35mm 27.5 mtb rims. I'm an average rider (weight and riding style) so I don't huck or heavily weigh down my wheels. However, as part of a great wheel build by a local shop, I can't say enough good things about the results.

Quote Originally Posted by hubick View Post
    Ordered Nextie Crocodile 42mm 29+ (NXT29CD42), matte finish, A-style drilling, and no decals. They took 3 weeks to arrive - I ordered May 31st, they shipped on June 12th, and arrived here in Canada on the 20th (via Canada Post). The original tracking number they sent me had an extra letter, and they responded promptly to my email with the correct one. I also tagged them on a Facebook post mentioning my first direct-from-China order, and they posted a nice response telling me not to worry. By all accounts, the rims appear perfect. Had my LBS build them on Hope Pro 4 Fatsno's, and they were very impressed as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crocodile.jpg 
Views:	808 
Size:	394.6 KB 
ID:	1081028

I've been riding them for a couple weeks now, and they're awesome. So, assuming these hold up, and I have zero reason to believe they won't, I would recommend Nextie to friends.
    It's not dirt in my apartment --it's Earth.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a real world ERD for the NXT29AM40 rims?

29" 40mm external

It has a ERD of 575mm listed, just wanted to verify.

mtbr member
    I measured mine at 579. i think Nextie use the internal rim surface for their measurements? In saying that, when building I got mighty close to bottoming out the thread on the nipples, when i used spokes that were ~0.5mm longer than the exact measurement.

I have had this before and I wonder if in building the nipple seats deeper into the drilled hole than can be replicated by using 2 spokes cut to length, screwed into nipples and then measuring the distance between them to get the actual ERD.

If you can get exact spoke length this would be ok, I use alu nipples and wanted a completely full nipple when tensioned, and in the UK you tend to be able to get spokes at 2mm increments for some reason, so sometimes you have to make a judgement.

perhaps the best option would be to do the calculation at 578mm and 579mm and see what the spoke lengths it throws out are.

Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Anyone have a real world ERD for the NXT29AM40 rims?

29" 40mm external

It has a ERD of 575mm listed, just wanted to verify.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice dRj0n.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a pair of Nextie Dragon 90mm rims, bought them just over a year ago... need to lace a new front hub but have no idea if I have Gen 1 or Gen 2 rims, or if it even matters in relation to spoke length... is there an easy way to tell?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TomFL View Post
    I have a pair of Nextie Dragon 90mm rims, bought them just over a year ago... need to lace a new front hub but have no idea if I have Gen 1 or Gen 2 rims, or if it even matters in relation to spoke length... is there an easy way to tell?
    The WD Mk2s came out last July but we were still receiving WD Mk1s as late as October, hopefully that helps. Mk2s are usually labeled as such

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Spleen View Post
    The WD Mk2s came out last July but we were still receiving WD Mk1s as late as October, hopefully that helps. Mk2s are usually labeled as such
    Thank you for the info, any difference between the two as far as spoke length?
    Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftchmup View Post

Name:	2016-05-12 14.43.30.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	1081056

Name:	2016-05-12 14.45.27.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	1081054

Name:	2016-05-12-14.46.20.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	1081055
    Do you happen to have a weight for your wheelset front and rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What rim width?

Quote Originally Posted by Ftchmup View Post

Name:	2016-05-12 14.43.30.jpg 
Views:	595 
Size:	492.3 KB 
ID:	1081056

Name:	2016-05-12 14.45.27.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	331.5 KB 
ID:	1081054

Name:	2016-05-12-14.46.20.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	450.3 KB 
ID:	1081055
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I know this isn't fatbike, but its Nextie, so . . .

Anyone have first hand spoke calc experience w/ the NXT29WC38 (asym 32mm internal 29er rim)? Like @dRjOn's experience w/ the NXT29AM40 below, I measured mine notably larger than spec: 584mm versus the 579mm spec'd by Nextie. Measuring method was two perfect 250mm spokes glued into nipples, thread end flush w/ nipple slot.

I'm nervous to order spoke lengths based on 584mm since I have coped w/ nearly-too-long-spokes on a past carbon rim build (not Nextie). I suppose the semi-safe thing to do is use 581mm or 582mm as the ERD for spoke calculations, but it would be great if anyone has some real world data to compare.

QUOTE=Stopbreakindown;12725945]Anyone have a real world ERD for the NXT29AM40 rims?

29" 40mm external

It has a ERD of 575mm listed, just wanted to verify.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn View Post
    I measured mine at 579. i think Nextie use the internal rim surface for their measurements? In saying that, when building I got mighty close to bottoming out the thread on the nipples, when i used spokes that were ~0.5mm longer than the exact measurement.

I have had this before and I wonder if in building the nipple seats deeper into the drilled hole than can be replicated by using 2 spokes cut to length, screwed into nipples and then measuring the distance between them to get the actual ERD.

If you can get exact spoke length this would be ok, I use alu nipples and wanted a completely full nipple when tensioned, and in the UK you tend to be able to get spokes at 2mm increments for some reason, so sometimes you have to make a judgement.

perhaps the best option would be to do the calculation at 578mm and 579mm and see what the spoke lengths it throws out are.

mtbr member
    i recently built up yet another nextie and after measuring and building, i am tending towards adding 3mm to the DIAMETER or ERD measurement and using this figure as when i measure i get a bit more differential (i assume nextie are using the inner nipple seat diameter). I am now pretty convinced that the nipple pulls into the hole enough to mean the absolute measured ERD can give too long a spoke, by a smidge. when i try to get full nipples (!) i try to aim for bottom of the slot (see the freespoke article on nipple fill and the wheelfanatyk one too) as this gives a further 1mm of leeway. another option, is to use a spoke like the sapim D light that is threaded for the entire thicker section and therefore as long as you are pretty close will never bottom out?
    Last edited by dRjOn; 12-01-2016 at 04:40 AM. Reason: links added

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    3 mm also worked for me with Nextie and Yishun.
    Latitude 61

Chris Bling
    Anyone have thoughts or time on the 26 in 65mm rim? Tryin to decide between those and the LB 65mm to test out

Thanks!
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Affordable Custom Wheels

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post
    Anyone have thoughts or time on the 26 in 65mm rim? Tryin to decide between those and the LB 65mm to test out

Thanks!
    I have a set and they're excellent. They laced up nicely, are stiff right out of the box and set up tubeless super easy. I have no experience with the LB rims.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22 View Post

Thanks!
    I have two sets of LB rims and two sets of Nexties, the LB are my fat rims and I have the 65s and 90s. In general terms, no real difference between the two "companies", I like the rim profile of the LB better for wider hubs, in that it's not "deep dish in-line" spokes, but the spoke beds are offset, reducing spoke angle. That's a little over the top if you are dealing with 170/177mm axle standards though, both work great. Nextie will paint free of charge, LB charges around 30-50 bucks to paint a custom color.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Have you noticed any difference between the LB and Nextie designs in terms of wheel stiffness? Seems that the "deep dish" rim and inline spokes design should be stiffer. Though agreed, I like the decreased spoke angle and also the aesthetics of the offset LB rim. Less empty space for water to accumulate within the rim too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    I have two sets of LB rims and two sets of Nexties, the LB are my fat rims and I have the 65s and 90s. In general terms, no real difference between the two "companies", I like the rim profile of the LB better for wider hubs, in that it's not "deep dish in-line" spokes, but the spoke beds are offset, reducing spoke angle. That's a little over the top if you are dealing with 170/177mm axle standards though, both work great. Nextie will paint free of charge, LB charges around 30-50 bucks to paint a custom color.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by awai04 View Post
    Have you noticed any difference between the LB and Nextie designs in terms of wheel stiffness? Seems that the "deep dish" rim and inline spokes design should be stiffer. Though agreed, I like the decreased spoke angle and also the aesthetics of the offset LB rim. Less empty space for water to accumulate within the rim too.
    Can't really compare because both the nexties are skinny-bike wheelsets and the LB are fat-bike wheelsets. I will say that the LB are doublewalls and very stuff, much moreso than any cut-out aluminum rims (which I had before).

mtbr member
    Well, I just ordered some 65mm Black Eagle II for my first wheel build!

I'd like to order my spokes and nips so i can be ready to build when the rims get here.

Their website states an ERD of 510mm. So, I just ADD the above mentioned adjustment of 3mm to the ERD to get the correct ERD??

Anyone build up some Black Eagle II's?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

BE II 27.5 x 65

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1823.jpg

2183 grams set up with tape and valves. DT Swiss Big rides 150/197
    2016 Trek Farley 5 Frame and all custom parts.

mtbr member
    That's pretty light!

Was there published ERD correct? I'm looking to build up a set too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    That's pretty light!

Was there published ERD correct? I'm looking to build up a set too!
    I had my LBS build them. IDK.
    Terryscycle.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    My LBS built my mine, too, with build measurements/details verified by Nextie. They were very helpful and responsive via email and spot-on.

mtbr member

Anybody try the "PREMIUM Asymmetric 45mm 27.5+" rims??

For the longest time, I've been leaning towards the Jungle Fox 52mm 27.5+ (inner width 45mm) rim, but the "Premium Asymmetric 45mm rim" (39mm inner width) also catches my eye. Anyone try one or both of these and care to share your thoughts? Fwiw, my plan is to build a dedicated 650b "plus" trail hardtail, and I tend to favor the current wider end of the spectrum, i.e. 3". Thanks!

Merendon Junkie
    What the deal with these "premium" rims on the nextie website? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it over the "normal" version?

Cheers

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by abelfonseca View Post
    What the deal with these "premium" rims on the nextie website? Has anyone tried them? Are they worth it over the "normal" version?

Cheers
    I have no direct experience with the premium rims but this is what their explanation is from PREMIUM Carbon Fat Bike :
    To compare with normal rims, the improvements of premium rims are as below.

1. The premium rims are manufactured by better T700 carbon fibers materials with higher resin composite;

2. In aspect of technology, the layer-up system, carbon fibers are cut in angles of 30 degrees and 60 degrees. More complicated process to achieve improvements of stiffness and strength. It performs better impact resistance than normal rims with only one degree of 45;

3. We made a separate mold to layer up the spoke bed wall by carbon fiber. The flatness of rim channel surface significantly improved, which makes the thickness at each spoke hole completely consistent, so that it effectively prevents the carbon loop of spoke hole wall from shifting;

4. Each of rim would be attached with a card showing the flatness and roundness. The flatness and roundness are controlled within 0.3mm, better than normal 0.5mm. It's quite easy to build wheels than normal versions;

5. We enhanced the depth from 16.5mm to 14.5mm (NXT90WD-II to premium NXT90WD-IIX), this small change makes big difference. You don't need any tools at all to run tubeless. It's so easy, just mount tires on rims and pump tires, tubeless setup succeeds.

6. Three years warranty

All that being said, the three sets I have built have been stiff and true.

mtbr member
    I received the Black Eagles!

I measured them and the ERD on them is in fact 513mm.

So that confirms the 510+3 posted earlier in the thread.

Ordered the spokes and can't wait to lace them up!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014

My Black Eagle II 27.5's

Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1379.jpgNextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1381.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I just finished building a set of Wild Dragon II 90mm on DT Big Ride 150/197. It's a crazt spoke angle, but I like the triangularity, and they roll nice. It's the stupid season in Minneapolis, Spring is early, so no snow, no trails. All I've really got is a road ride and a little skills park, but no issues.
    I used a skinny strip of tape up the middle and a 65mm Orange Seal valve set, 4 oz Orange Seal Subzero. Mounting the Vee Bulldozer XL wasn't bad, (I've got a compressor) and I'm not worried about burps. Without tape in the bead, it's a hard pull to unseat the tire and fish out the lever that somehow ended up in there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Just received my NXT27AS33 Nextie Asymmetric 650b 27mm internal 33mm external rims today and wanted to share my experience so far. I know they aren't fat rims, but this is the most prevalent Nextie rim thread by a longshot as far as I can tell.

Build quality appears to be excellent upon initial inspection, although there was one tiny but visible scratch on one of the rim's lips when I received them. ERD seems fairly accurate. I measured roughly 541.5mm compared to the claimed 541mm, although that's just a rough measurement. Weight on the other hand was not so accurate. My calibrated scale is showing about 429 or 430g for each of the rims, which is about 5% heavier than the manufacturer's claimed 410g.

Have others been finding that these rims are a little heaver than claimed as well? Wondering if that's normal or if maybe they added an extra layer to mine or something.

Planning to build them up on some DT 350 hubs with CX Ray spokes and DT alloy nipples. First set of carbon hoops, so I'm stoked! Can't wait

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post
    Just received my NXT27AS33 Nextie Asymmetric 650b 27mm internal 33mm external rims today and wanted to share my experience so far. I know they aren't fat rims, but this is the most prevalent Nextie rim thread by a longshot as far as I can tell.

Build quality appears to be excellent upon initial inspection, although there was one tiny but visible scratch on one of the rim's lips when I received them. ERD seems fairly accurate. I measured roughly 541.5mm compared to the claimed 541mm, although that's just a rough measurement. Weight on the other hand was not so accurate. My calibrated scale is showing about 429 or 430g for each of the rims, which is about 5% heavier than the manufacturer's claimed 410g.

Have others been finding that these rims are a little heaver than claimed as well? Wondering if that's normal or if maybe they added an extra layer to mine or something.

Planning to build them up on some DT 350 hubs with CX Ray spokes and DT alloy nipples. First set of carbon hoops, so I'm stoked! Can't wait
    I weighed my 65mm LB rims at 518 and 523g, but I had them plainted blue. Claimed (with no paint) was 500g. I weighed a 90mm LB rim a few days ago because I rebuilt the wheel. That was 665g, again, I had it pained blue. It's a lot of surface area to paint too, so I'm pretty happy. Claimed without paint is 650g.

mtbr member

Nextie-Bike carbon rims

Quote Originally Posted by dlxah View Post

I have those but in 29" on dt 240s and competition spokes. I think i calculated they would be 1650ish g and i weighed them at 1702g. Not tooo bad, going on my top fuel, bontragers kovee pro wheels are a tiny bit heavier, less spokes, no dt hubs and. I22.5mm for $800 more. So im really happy with them.
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I have those but in 29" on dt 240s and competition spokes. I think i calculated they would be 1650ish g and i weighed them at 1702g. Not tooo bad, going on my top fuel, bontragers kovee pro wheels are a tiny bit heavier, less spokes, no dt hubs and. I22.5mm for $800 more. So im really happy with them.
    Nice, that's going to be a sweet wheelset! Yeah, I've been super happy with my DT hubs. I had 240s hubs and comp spokes on my old bike, and they are rock solid. Decided to try 350 hubs and CX Ray spokes this time just because I think the build came out slightly cheaper and lighter that way.

Sounds like your experience with the rim weight has been similar to mine. I guess that's just want you get at this price point. Hard to complain when the cost of both rims shipped is less than the price of a single rim from any of the more mainstream brands.

mtbr member
    May 2015

Nextie Wild Dragon Build

Quote Originally Posted by GuzziBen View Post
    I just finished building a set of Wild Dragon II 90mm on DT Big Ride 150/197. It's a crazt spoke angle, but I like the triangularity, and they roll nice. It's the stupid season in Minneapolis, Spring is early, so no snow, no trails. All I've really got is a road ride and a little skills park, but no issues.
    I used a skinny strip of tape up the middle and a 65mm Orange Seal valve set, 4 oz Orange Seal Subzero. Mounting the Vee Bulldozer XL wasn't bad, (I've got a compressor) and I'm not worried about burps. Without tape in the bead, it's a hard pull to unseat the tire and fish out the lever that somehow ended up in there.
    Sweet!

I am about to build a set of Wild Dragons IIs with the same hub spacing. What ERD did you use? I am getting a spoke length of 244mm (front wheel) with 499mm ERD (as stated on the rim). Any other tips or problems during the build? Nextie website recommends a 14mm nipple but do you think the DT Swiss 12mm nipples will work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    i've built a few nexties...and 12mm on all of them. i prefer 12mm nips. you need alittle more care as the interface is close to the rim due to how thick the carbon is, but its not a big deal at all.

i would recommend you measure erd yourself several times.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjammin2wheels View Post
    Sweet!

I am about to build a set of Wild Dragons IIs with the same hub spacing. What ERD did you use? I am getting a spoke length of 244mm (front wheel) with 499mm ERD (as stated on the rim). Any other tips or problems during the build? Nextie website recommends a 14mm nipple but do you think the DT Swiss 12mm nipples will work? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    i've built a few nexties...and 12mm on all of them. i prefer 12mm nips. you need alittle more care as the interface is close to the rim due to how thick the carbon is, but its not a big deal at all.

i would recommend you measure erd yourself several times.
    Ok.
    I measured the ERD (spoke hole to spoke hole) twice and I am getting 490mm which is 9mm less than the stated ERD. It is the same for both rims that I received. Are you recommending to add 3mm to the actual measured ERD? Thanks!

mtbr member
    That sounds strange. Of the 6 or 7 Nexties i have built the stated ERD has been more or less the diameter of the surface of the rim where the nipple will sit. Generally, ERD includes the nipple 'bulge' as well, so 3-4mm more than this diameter. That has been give or take <1mm for all those rims over several years.

Of course, they may have recently made the rim itself a different dimension than stated (it would have to be 4.5mm deeper section for your measurements) or they have simply made an error in the stated ERD, but i would be surprised about that.

How are you measuring ERD?

I use 2 spokes marked to a specific depth, thread them to nipples until fully inserted in the rim and then use wire to hold the j bends to each other tightly and measure the distance between accurately measured marks on the shaft of the spokes. I do this several times around the circumference.

I am not saying 490 is wrong, but I would suggest measuring again?

Edit: Here is a better explanation

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Of course, they may have recently made the rim itself a different dimension than stated (it would have to be 4.5mm deeper section for your measurements) or they have simply made an error in the stated ERD, but i would be surprised about that.
    I have actually caught a typo in the spec on their website a while back. It wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email about it if you think you're measuring it correctly but it's still off by more than a millimeter or so.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That sounds strange. Of the 6 or 7 Nexties i have built the stated ERD has been more or less the diameter of the surface of the rim where the nipple will sit. Generally, ERD includes the nipple 'bulge' as well, so 3-4mm more than this diameter. That has been give or take <1mm for all those rims over several years.

How are you measuring ERD?

I use 2 spokes marked to a specific depth, thread them to nipples until fully inserted in the rim and then use wire to hold the j bends to each other tightly and measure the distance between accurately measured marks on the shaft of the spokes. I do this several times around the circumference.

I am not saying 490 is wrong, but I would suggest measuring again?

Edit: Here is a better explanation

Thank for the feedback and replies! I am going to try measuring with spokes (and someone with wheel building experience) this afternoon!

mtbr member
    This seems to be something new?

http://www.nextie.net/fatbike-single-wall-NXT26XS85

Single/double wall hybrid, 85mm and just 520g. Nextie come up with something that so far was only available from brands like Kuroshiro/HED. Great.

27.5/29 plus rims weight basically the same, makes plus setup abit pointless IMO (i.e. there is no weight gains).
    Shame Nextie does not offer DT Dwiss hubs directly on their site anymore...

Sent from my SM-G900F

Shameless Plug!
    Aug 2006
    We built up a set that came in at 2080g but it sold before we could try them out. Two more pair on the way today

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    What was the build on this wheel set. i am looking for a super light 80-85mm wheels set but i wont go with HED.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Ok I just measured with the spoke method ensuring that the spokes are screwed in flush with the tops of the nipples. It seems that the ERD when just measuring the rim is actually about 488mm. The length of the spokes need to be about 6mm longer in order to screw in flush with the top of the nipple. If I add the threaded spoke length to the measured ERD I can get the ~499 ERD stated by Nextie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by foresterLV View Post
    This seems to be something new?

[NXT26XS85] [Xiphias] PREMIUM 85mm Width Carbon Single Wall Fat Bike 26" Rim [Tubeless Compatible]

Single/double wall hybrid, 85mm and just 520g. Nextie come up with something that so far was only available from brands like Kuroshiro/HED. Great.

27.5/29 plus rims weight basically the same, makes plus setup abit pointless IMO (i.e. there is no weight gains).
    Shame Nextie does not offer DT Dwiss hubs directly on their site anymore...

Sent from my SM-G900F
    Anyone try these single wall rims yet?

I'd like to see them in 100 or 105

Music & Bikes
    Bump

Anyone tried these New Single/Double wall ?
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

1:18
    I've ordered a pair of Nextie Xiphias Premium 85 mm for my fatbike project. Will be able to tell more by the end of the year when I assemble the bike.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by fokof View Post
    Bump

To answer my own question : I ordered a pair , will lace them up next week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Bump

I already tried MANY of them...
    Works fine WITHOUT tapes - just add sealant and go for a ride!

Music & Bikes
    hummmmmm .... from what I see on the photos on the Nextie site , the Nipple holes are not isolated from the "Air" section.

Good for you if you've been able to keep your tires inflated without tape , but personally , I plan to put some.

I'll make sure to report my results.

Music & Bikes
    Xiphias rims came in , one @ 514g the other @ 524g
    Well made , very round.
    Easiest TL setup I made so far.
    (I used Gorilla tape , none under tire lip)

The 2+lbs of difference between these and the Rolling Darryl it replaced is the best upgrade I made so far!

Now , I have to ride the Heck out of it to see if they are any solid.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nextie-Bike carbon rims-img_1462.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Streetdoctor View Post
    way cheaper than Derby, lighter too. Wonder how they will hold up.
    I have 2 sets of Nexties rims and they are excellent quality. better IMO than my LB's as well. As good as any CF rims I have seen. Zero failures and come straight and as specified on their website. The only rims I use now.
    They do not have the molded spoke holes like ENVE. But I build them with pretty spoke tension and weigh way over 250# and ride offroad. Haven't seen or had any issues. They are so far bulletproof.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    (I used Gorilla tape , none under tire lip)
    As I had wrote some days ago - with these beasts you DO NOT NEED any tape... just mount the tyre, add some sealant and go for a ride!

Music & Bikes
    Good for you ! :thumbs:

This place needs an enema
    Using gorilla tape is a good way to add some of that lost weight back. Over time the tape absorbs sealant, getting heavier and requiring that you add more in order to seal pinholes in the tire. And then it absorbs more, and the cycle repeats...

Music & Bikes
    That didn't happen over the last 3 years with the wheels I just dismounted
    The tape I just removed wasn't full of goo.

And I don't mind the 4 grams of tape.

Maybe that strange phenomena happens with with Stan's stuff ?
    ( I use Orange stuff )

Thank for the heads up , I'll check them this winter to see if the tape is OK

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That didn't happen over the last 3 years with the wheels I just dismounted
    The tape I just removed wasn't full of goo.

And I don't mind the 4 grams of tape.

Maybe that strange phenomena happens with with Stan's stuff ?
    ( I use Orange stuff )

Thank for the heads up , I'll check them this winter to see if the tape is OK
    I've had some tape issues using Gorilla Duct Tape (Black) in the past as I think the Stan's reacted with it and made a mess. Removing it on CF rims is a little tricky as you can't just break out the acetone and a scraper and go at it.

I have found a couple of other superior options because I HATE Stan's tape and others I have used and looked at due to ease of use or ridiculous costs.

Gorilla makes another tape. Clear Repair Tape. Which is a flexible fairly thick (maybe 10mil?) that works amazing on the wider rims as it is 1.5"/38mm which is almost perfect on my Asym 38/32 rims.
    Another option is 3M 2242 which is 20mil thick rubber electrical tape. Very stretchy and tough. comes in 3/4" and 1.5" widths.
    Gorilla and 3M/Scotch are pretty much the only tapes worth buying anymore.

beer thief
    Quote Originally Posted by chasejj View Post
    I've had some tape issues using Gorilla Duct Tape (Black) in the past as I think the Stan's reacted with it and made a mess. Removing it on CF rims is a little tricky as you can't just break out the acetone and a scraper and go at it.

I have found a couple of other superior options because I HATE Stan's tape and others I have used and looked at due to ease of use or ridiculous costs.

Gorilla makes another tape. Clear Repair Tape. Which is a flexible fairly thick (maybe 10mil?) that works amazing on the wider rims as it is 1.5"/38mm which is almost perfect on my Asym 38/32 rims.
    Another option is 3M 2242 which is 20mil thick rubber electrical tape. Very stretchy and tough. comes in 3/4" and 1.5" widths.
    Gorilla and 3M/Scotch are pretty much the only tapes worth buying anymore.
    Tyvek tape. Light, one wrap and lasts for multiple tire changes.

mtbr member
    To answer my own question : I ordered a pair , will lace them up next week.
    Doh! I want some too!

^^^ I used tyvek tape on my Black Eagle's as that is what i had laying around. Works great! One layer is all that's needed. Super light

Those single wall rims prob do fine w just some sealant as mentioned above (sans tape)
    Last edited by Kirkerik; 08-16-2017 at 08:06 PM.
    The tires are the things on your bike that make contact with the trail.

PRETENDURO
    2.5 years on, and I am still rocking my 65mm Eagles on my singlespeed rigid XC racing fatty; I had to replace a broken spoke. That’s all. 1 year and two weeks on my second set (currently on my Borealis Echo front-squish “everything else” hard abuse trail bike), and zero problems. Have misjudged jumps and landed without issues (ASTM 4 rated stuff). Best bang for the buck, in my opinion.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Has Nextie fixed the uneven spoke bed issue? If not, what's the best new chinese carbon fatbike rims to buy these days? I'm building my first fatbike and have alway had good luck with light bicycle... Im looking to run 4-4.5" tires so probably something around 65mm rim width

1:18
    Those with Nextie rims, how long did you have to wait for the rims to be delivered? Asking since it's been 8 weeks and the packet is still somewhere between Far East and Europe ... hasn't even reached destination country yet.

Music & Bikes
    Took five weeks for mine in.

Eastern Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Couloirman View Post
    Has Nextie fixed the uneven spoke bed issue? If not, what's the best new chinese carbon fatbike rims to buy these days? I'm building my first fatbike and have alway had good luck with light bicycle... Im looking to run 4-4.5" tires so probably something around 65mm rim width
    Yes. I asked the same thing of Forrest Carver and he said: "The initial batch was drilled based on a "compromise" of 135, 170 and 190 hub shells, which made the nipple/spoke angle a little odd-looking.
    The newest model (wild dragon 2) has addressed the issue."

That was an email back in May of 2016

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvette View Post
    Those with Nextie rims, how long did you have to wait for the rims to be delivered? Asking since it's been 8 weeks and the packet is still somewhere between Far East and Europe ... hasn't even reached destination country yet.
    My order arrived in about a week/week and a half from what i recall. In the u.s.

I,d give nextie an email

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirkerik View Post
    Yes. I asked the same thing of Forrest Carver and he said: "The initial batch was drilled based on a "compromise" of 135, 170 and 190 hub shells, which made the nipple/spoke angle a little odd-looking.
    The newest model (wild dragon 2) has addressed the issue."

That was an email back in May of 2016

That quote doesn't begin to explain nor address the off-angles that so many of the early Nextie's were drilled at.

I'd like to believe they've sorted it -- but when they toss out trope like that, not even acknowledging the original problem, the last thing I'm going to do is look the other way.

bigger than you.
    Quote Originally Posted by radair View Post
    Tyvek tape. Light, one wrap and lasts for multiple tire changes.
    yes, this. that said, I've had some issues with tyvek tape with WTB Scraper rims and WTB 27.5+ tires. The bead/seat interface is so tight that it will often pull the tape off while removing the tires, necessitating a retaping. The adhesive on the tyvek tape is rather aggressive, so completely removing the remaining tape and adhesive is a bit of a challenge. However, it is the best performing tape that i've used so far, including Stans & WTB Tubeless tapes, as well as Gorilla tape, which has performed the worst in 4 years of fat tubeless riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Nextie tri spoke owner here. No tape needed, ever..

mtbr member
    One wrap of tyvek tape has been working great for me too on my black eagles.