mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Newby question - Middleburn cranks, Gates Belt Drive and Fatback frame

Hello All

Apologies if my question is a bit basic but I'm new!

I've recently bought a Fatback frame, (with rear rocker), and I'm thinking of fitting Middleburn crank arms and Gates sprockets and drive belt.

Please can you advise me if this is possible and which bottom bracket, Middleburn crank arms and Gates sprockets I need to buy?

Thanks for any help and advice given.

Richard.

Anchorage, AK
    Which kind of middleburn cranks are you using? X-type, square taper, or Isis? If it's square taper or Isis you could go with a Phil Woods bottom bracket. I'd probably get the 155mm spindle version as it will allow the most adaptability. I don't know for sure of the gates sprockets will fit, but middleburn makes several different spiders and you can probably find one that will work.
    --Peace

will rant for food
    Jan 2010
    EccentricRich, there are a handful of Gates users on here, myself included. They are pretty nice 90% of the time, but in very coarse grain sand, they can pack up / not evacuate grime as well as a chain. If most of your riding is in fine sand and mud or just clean dirt, you'll probably be okay. If you expect to get crazy nasty, stick with a chain.

Also, since belts by definition cannot be shifted like a chain, you're either going single speed or geared hub. Which choice there? This affects Gates pulley selection advice.
    Latitude: 44.93 N

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks for the advice given so far.

I haven't bought any of the parts yet, (apart from the frame and forks), so is the square taper drive considered better than the Isis drive or are they both just down to personal preference?

I was going to ride the bike as a single-speed to start with and see how I get on. Most of my riding will be on the flat, (beach and flat(ish) trails). If necessary I'll upgrade to a geared hub in the future.

I have read about the sand issues with the Gates drive so maybe it'll be better to stick with the good, old fashioned but reliable, chain and sprockets.

Richard.