mtbr member

Newbie tips for riding in the snow?

Did my first three miles in the snow. I hit the parking lot out by the rec center so I could practice turns and work on shifting. Worked on tire pressure for grip and better control. Not sure where I had it at, but it was the lowest I've had it. Might need a guage.

Turns/Cornering? With the tire pressures so low, turning is totally different and different depths of snow change the turning as well. Speed is totally different as well.

One mile around the parking lot and I started really getting hot. Even my light coat was too much so will change that out.

I forgot I have a Pearl Izumi Barrier cap. Worked really well.

How much speed do you need to get through small drifts so you don't stop and go over the bars? Or just don't..LOL. Made it through a small one where the snow plow had been.

Riding in snow is a blast and my Muk does this with ease. Even goes through mud beautifully with super low tires. Is this why you guys like the wider widths then?

One last question. My front derailleur keeps dropping the second ring. I don't remember if it does it shifting up or down, but when trying to get to the smallest gear, it catches up on something and the chain gets wrapped around it funny and then stops.

XO grips rock. The twists are so much easier on my hands.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

ouch....
    Snow conditions can vary so much, that's the biggest thing I've found. What works one day, might not work the next time. Low pressure, don't overdress, oh, and moose mitts are great when its really cold!
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    just keep riding...

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Biggest thing I've found in multiple snow types is to do whatever you can to maintain traction and momentum. Keeping the pedal stroke smooth helps a lot. Breaking the rear wheel loose often kills your forward progress entirely, and once you stop, it's often very hard to get going again in deep or punchy snow.

PSYCHOLUST
    resist the urge to lift your butt off the seat

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Pay no attention to your average speed. Winter riding is about having fun, and staying off the couch and getting fat. (Rather get fat and go outside)

mtbr member
    Iíve got some good experience riding thin snow on a firm base, but today was the first time Iíve ďriddenĒ in fresh deep heavy snow (6 Ė 8Ē). Obviously keeping an eye on changing conditions and snow consistency is key, but beyond that:

Tires: I dropped the pressure to 5 in the front and 6 in the back (could have gone lowerÖmaybe 4 no problem). That helped, but I was wishing for more bite and am ready to swap out the BFLís for a pair of Buds/Lous.

Pedals: Iím a HUGE fan of clipless but would have preferred platforms today. Crank Brother pedals shed snow better than Shimano, but all of my bikes have Shimano pedals so Iíll stick with them. I think Iíll switch to a pedal with a platform on one side and SPD on the other.

Handlebar height: Iíve been running my handlebars at seat height but I found that I was putting too much weight on the front wheel when getting started. Iím going to try a higher bar position.

Getting started: I found it easier to get started if I walked the bike forward to set a track, and then pushed backward about 10 feet so that I had the track under me as I got started.

And finally, riding where the snow had been broken by hikers was the best; cross country ski tracks were good but a bit more difficult (Iím a skier and really donít want to mess up the ski tracks for everyone else).

It was a wet snow today and I know it will get a lot better as the base freezes. And once the snowmobiles get out, Iím sure everything will change.