mtbr member

Newbie to the bicycle world

Well at 52yrs young, I've decided to cross over from off-road motorcycling to the Fatbike world. Looking for tips and setup advice from anyone that would like to share.

Picking up my new Trek Farley EX8 this morning. Tubeless setup.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Welcome!

That's a nice bike. I think you'll love it.

Fatbikes aren't for everyone but I can tell you that for those who do, they're a blast. I own two and ride them yearround fulltime. I might as well sell the enduro for how little it gets used anymore.

Setup advice - all pretty specific and might not apply so YMMV:

1.) Some guys like wider bars and short stems for more control than what comes stock. Grips upgrade too. Coming from a moto background you might concur.
    2.) If you're in a cold, snowy climate good flat pedals and properly insulated boots could be a good choice over SPDs and mtb shoes that clog with ice more.
    3.) Tires/rims upgrade. Wider is better if you're a heavier rider on deeper ungroomed snowy trails a lot. If you weigh less and/or are in a dry warmer climate and/or always on groomed packed snow go narrower for weight reduction and speed.
    4.) If you deal with icy trails a lot- get studded tires - either Gripstud/Koldkutter them yourself or break the bank and get prestudded Dillinger 5s, etc. Throw some on your boots too. One bad crash on ice without studs will make you wish you had.
    5.) In deeper snow, let more air out than you think you should. 4-5 psi could be good. Too many guys ride too high a psi in fatbike tires in deep snow and have a bad time. Get used to monitoring conditions and adjusting psi - even one pound makes a big difference in fatbiking.
    6.) If you're in a cold climate get some footwarmers for the boots, insulated socks, balaclava, proper layering and shell, pogies, and good insulated gloves.
    7.) Try to stay off roads that get salted as much as possible. Too much of that can be really destructive to a nice fatbike.

There's a lot of awesome guys on here with extensive fatbike experience who'll advise too. Just ask.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Welcome!

That's a nice bike. I think you'll love it.

Fatbikes aren't for everyone but I can tell you that for those who do, they're a blast. I own two and ride them yearround fulltime. I might as well sell the enduro for how little it gets used anymore.

Setup advice - all pretty specific and might not apply so YMMV:

1.) Some guys like wider bars and short stems for more control than what comes stock. Grips upgrade too. Coming from a moto background you might concur.
    2.) If you're in a cold, snowy climate good flat pedals and properly insulated boots could be a good choice over SPDs and mtb shoes that clog with ice more.
    3.) Tires/rims upgrade. Wider is better if you're a heavier rider on deeper ungroomed snowy trails a lot. If you weigh less and/or are in a dry warmer climate and/or always on groomed packed snow go narrower for weight reduction and speed.
    4.) If you deal with icy trails a lot- get studded tires - either Gripstud/Koldkutter them yourself or break the bank and get prestudded Dillinger 5s, etc. Throw some on your boots too. One bad crash on ice without studs will make you wish you had.
    5.) In deeper snow, let more air out than you think you should. 4-5 psi could be good. Too many guys ride too high a psi in fatbike tires in deep snow and have a bad time. Get used to monitoring conditions and adjusting psi - even one pound makes a big difference in fatbiking.
    6.) If you're in a cold climate get some footwarmers for the boots, insulated socks, balaclava, proper layering and shell, pogies, and good insulated gloves.
    7.) Try to stay off roads that get salted as much as possible. Too much of that can be really destructive to a nice fatbike.

There's a lot of awesome guys on here with extensive fatbike experience who'll advise too. Just ask.

Have fun!
    Thanks a bunch. Taken under advisement. I'm located in Northern NYS, so snow and cold weather makeup a fair portion of the seasonal bliss here.

As I understand it so far, I think I'm limited for tire choices at 27.5 x 3.8, but will do some more research. Based on my area, I think I may consider spare wheelset and tires for winter riding

turtles make me hot
    I'm 50 and while I've been riding trails for like 25 years, fat bikes definitely took it up a couple of notches.
    Have fun with it.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobbiethrower View Post
    Thanks a bunch. Taken under advisement. I'm located in Northern NYS, so snow and cold weather makeup a fair portion of the seasonal bliss here.

As I understand it so far, I think I'm limited for tire choices at 27.5 x 3.8, but will do some more research. Based on my area, I think I may consider spare wheelset and tires for winter riding
    If you really get into fatbiking you'll start to embrace the long dreary winters there as long as there's snow.

I'm in SE PA with all of the gray skies but not much snow, just rain and mud so consider yourself lucky.

With 3.8" tires you might want to focus on trails snowmachines groom since northern NY snowbelt country's a little more 4.8" friendly than elsewhere. Deep ungroomed pow needs wide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    If you really get into fatbiking you'll start to embrace the long dreary winters there as long as there's snow.
    Agreed, this is my first winter on a fat bike and in a long northern New England winter I have never been happy. I look forward to get out every chance I can. Now I even look forward to snowshoeing after storms to help pack the trails. It's amazing what getting outdoors in the winter can do for your attitude.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Learn snow the same way a skier knows snow, pay attention to temps, snow fall, pick your riding days to maximize riding conditions

A bad day riding on snow can be really bad; think slogging through knee deep snow pushing a bike. So try to make your first experiences as good as possible.

A good day riding on snow is magical.

mtbr member
    Good tip, thanks!